I miss you everyday

Your Gift

[JOOHEON’S POV]

 

“Appa, are we there yet?” Joowon asked.

“Almost,” I answered.

“When we arrive can I give the flowers?”

“No! I want to give the flowers!” Jooyeon argued.

I chuckled, “You both can. We picked enough flowers for us all to give.”

Joowon and Jooyeon cheered.

“Appa I can’t wait!” Joowon shouted!

“Me too!” Jooyeon agreed.

“We’re here.” I said and turn the engine off. I let out a low sigh, unlatched my seat belt, got out of the car and unbelted Joowon and Jooyeon from their car seats.

“Hold your sister’s hand Joowon.” Joowon put his hand out for Jooyeon to hold. Jooyeon gladly took it.

“Let’s go!” Jooyeon shouted.

“Appa….” Joowon looked up at me, “do you want to hold my hand?”

I smiled at him with tears slowly forming in my eyes and took his small hands. We began to walk. I knew we had gotten to our destination when Jooyeon let go of Joowon’s hand and ran. “Oppa! Palli!” she shouted as she ran further. I let go of Joowon’s hand signally him to go head.

They both waited for me patiently with bright smiles.

“Appa, can I help clean umma’s headstone?” Joowon asked.

I nooded in approval. Joowon and I gently removed all the loose grass and leaves.

“I’ll move the flowers we brought to umma before.” Jooyeon said.

Joowon and Jooyeon set their flowers down on their umma’s headstone followed by my own.

“Happy birthday umma!” Joowon said followed with a bow to his umma.

“Umma, I miss you. I don’t cry as much anymore. Aren’t you proud of me? I’ve matured a lot, haven’t I?” Jooyeon said also followed by a bow.

“Yeobo. We’ve come to celebrate your birthday. How are you? Have you been well? We’ve missed you. I hope you don’t become too lonely when we aren’t here,” I said fighting back any tears that were forming in my eyes. Joowon and I unfolded a small pinic blanket, I set the food I had packed and we sang happy birthday to their umma. We sat, talked and ate for about a good hour before we prepared to go back home.

“Joowon, Jooyeon help me clean so umma will be clean and pretty.”

“Okay!” they both shouted in unison.

When we finished cleaning, Joowon and Jooyeon said their farewells and headed back to the car.

“I miss you everyday jagi...don’t worry too much about us. We’ll be okay as long as you continue to watch over us. Our little Joowon has your kindness and our little Jooyeon has your beauty. I miss you everyday because of them. I love them so much because of you. Thank you for gifting me with two wonderful children that I can give my love to. We’ll see you soon jagi. Don’t become too lonely in the time that we are absent." I sent her a kiss before I stood up to head back to Joowon and Jooyeon.

~~~ I’ll always remember how she told me she loved me everyday before she left to work and every night before she fell asleep. I’ll always remember how she smiled at me so brightly she brought so much light into my life. I’ll remember how she would hug me to relieve any stress I had. I will continue to remember her by loving our children as much as she loved me. - Jooheon