-1-

Longing

Today marks my first day in the university. And my excitement just grows as I approach my university gate, seeing students not wearing uniforms, makes me feel that this is really college. 

So yeah I am taking up an Engineering Course, which made my friends way too surprised. Coming from an all-girls senior high school, nobody would expect that I will be going to an Engineering school, Mechanical Engineering to be exact. This leads me to my dilemna, I don't have any friends, nor acquaintance in my course, I am not even sure if I'll be able to make friends with someone since guys are already in blocks and I am quite sure that they are friends way before college. But I don't have any choice, I made this decision so let's get this day over with. 

Room 41- Engineering Orientation 

70 students, 67  guys, and 3 girls which already includes me. Culture shock describes my feelings right now. I cannot even distinguish the faces of my classmates and I think everyone just looks the same. The 2 girls that I am classmates with seems friendly but seems shy as well. So I decided to sit with them, cause you know girls have and must stick with each other. I look around our classroom hall to see the faces of my classmates, there's this guy who looks like someone who just came out from a Manga series, a nerdy type, basketball player type of guy, those douchebag type, and there's this guy which looks quite familiar. I am not sure if he's a model or what but he looks really cool; he's like the perfect mix of cool-ness, intelligence, looks, and confidence. And I am not sure why he's like approaching us or rather me. Okay I think I scared him off because I think I stared at him for a straight 5 minutes. 

"Hey, I think I am quite used with all the stares, but it's kinda creepy" okay so I'm really sure with the confidence part, over-confidence. "I think you look quite familiar." this somehow gives off like I'm sending a pick up line "I think those lines are kinda old already, So I'm Ren and you are?" So his name is Ren. "Ren Lai? Lai Ren, the guy living in West Lake?" that's why he was familiar OMG that's why he was familiar, OMG this is the Ren Lai, "Okay so you don't just give off old pick up lines but are you like my stalker?" "No I'm not your stalker and I didn't just gave out a pick up line" "Well you know, if you really like me that much, we can hang out later" and he sends that line with one of those flirty smiles. Before I even get the chance to rub off in his face that I'm not his stalker our professor already arrives and that automatically sends everyone to their respective seats including Ren. 

The usual class orientation happened, like the professor collected our forms, checked our attendance, gave out our course list and of course asked the 3 girls why they took up this degree. 

" I want to help my dad's business." 

" I want to specialize in space engineering, I want this degree to become my stepping stone to reach my goals"

And so I have to give out my reason cause you know being the part of the 3-girls club I'm sure that I will not be saved by the bell, "I took up this degree because I want to be involve in creating something and I also wanted to help my dad."

After hearing our answers, our professor proceed with our lecture, and I can't stop thinking about that Ren Lai. That Ren Lai which crushed my heart back when we were in middle school. 

"Hey can we become friends? I think you are interesting and my mom said we have to be friends."

Those were Ren's first words when we just met in our middle school. We were classmates in our first grade and he became my first guy friend. We eat together, go to school together, go home together and we even do our assignments together. Our parents were so happy that we instantly clicked cause our mothers were bestfriends since middle school as well. I was happy being friends with Ren, if someone would invite Ren then that means I am already his plus one. There were a lot of things that I only shared with Ren. Years passed by and we remain as good friends, best friends to be exact. I will never forget that when we were in 7th grade, Ren kissed me, yeah that was my first kiss, because he just wants to try and learn that feeling and he thinks that it would be best to share his first kiss with his bestfriend. After that kiss, our relationship didn't change and we just became closer as we grow older as well. 

"I promise that I will not like someone as much as I like you. If ever we grow old and no one likes you, I will still like you and that's a promise" 

That was his words when I was rejected after I confessed to this guy who throwed my gifts. I didn't expect that Ren would say something like that but my sadness just completely vanished. 

"I'll be taking up Psychology as my degree in college" that was what Ren told me when we were in the 9th grade, it just came out of nowhere but he was happy saying those words, "I want to understand people better and I think I would do well in that course. So what would you take up?" "Mechanical Engineering, yeah I want to become an Engineer, I want to be involve in creating something" "Let's work hard to reach our dreams, okay?"

In my tenth grade, my heart started to beat fast whenever I will hangout with Ren, whenever he's not around I started to miss him. Ren started to become popular in our last year in middle school as well, he just instantly became everyone's popular friend. Before it was just the two of us, though we have other friends, but it was just really the two of us who are really really close with each other. But now, everyone just became Ren's friend, a lot of girls would confess to him and ask him to date them. That was how my 10th grade just passed, seeing and longing for my one and only bestfriend. 

In my senior year I decided that I will confess my feelings to Ren, but my mom said that she will transfer me to another school, to an all-girls school, so that I can focus with my studies and become more mature as well. I was against the idea but I had no choice, cause I'm just a kid. My mom also told me that it is the best for me. I am not sure why  my friendship with Ren just ended as well. He just ignored me after I told him that I'll transfer schools. He took someone else to the graduation ball for our middle school batch and that was it. He was just completely gone

"Heeey, I think I remember you already"