you

seoul

I am only waiting for you in this city of Seoul. 

 

the bus slightly rocks as it makes its way down the brightly lit streets of seoul. strangers a couple seats away quietly chatter about their day. the engine lulls in the background, a soundtrack to everyone's story. gwangseok glances at raehwans reflection on the window while the other looks out of it, a peaceful look on his face. a small smile forms on gwangseok's lips as he reaches for raehwan's hand. raehwan turned to the man next to him, exchanging eye contact and a soft smile, and went back to observing the various signs cluttering the streets.

it's the cold, smoky air reminds them of when they first met, huddled at the same bus stop desperately keeping themselves warm. now, there's no awkwardness as they accept each other's embrace, but sometimes, sometimes raehwan can feel gwangseok's soft, rapid heart beats. heart beats that never change when they're hugging. heart beats that never change when they're just looking at each other.

it's the bus rides home that started all the nervous heartbeats, sweaty palms, and awkward silences. they learn more about each other as they saw each other every day at the same time, sharing information about themselves like how they're both the same age and how they both love music. raehwan learns that gwangseok loves to dance and gwangseok learns that raehwan can sing.

it's the small food stands that reminds them of their first date. the first time raehwan admitted to himself that gwangseok was pretty attractive and the first time gwangseok admitted that he was afraid of falling.

yet, he let himself fall.

it's the crowded streets that reminds them of their first kiss. the kiss where raehwan pulled an enthusiastic gwangseok out of the packed road and softly planted his lips on the other's. gwangseok had gushed over his surroundings with a twinkle in his eyes, tugging on raehwan's hand and heart. their first kiss was gentle, both moving slowly and savoring the moment, the empty spaces of their hearts filling up with each other's actions. gwangseok had pulled away first with a "well that was way better than the food i had my eyes on" and a small giggle while raehwan looked away, a small blush barely visible on his cheeks in the dimly lit alley.

it's the one bus ride home that gwangseok rests his head on his boyfriend's shoulder, eyes fluttering shut. drifting off to sleep, he mutters an i love you. looking out at the lights reflected on the han river, raehwan feels his heart tighten.

 

i love you too.