one

His Own Reasons and Way

you look at the pair of the couple infront of you. the way they showed the interest in each other, the way they laughed and place a few kisses on each other, you sighed heavily. you were jealous. envious to be exact. it's not that they have anything against you. you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

you have a boyfriend. it's just... he's not showing his.. affection like them to you.

"yah, why did you stare off into the space again? hurry up!" you turn your head to look at your boyfriend, Kibum and sighed in annoyance. he was supposed to be taking you out on a date, but it's not like it at all. it's filled with books and coffee. and you know that studying in a coffee shop is not a great idea for you, well mainly because it's valentine's day, and your boyfriend decided it would be perfect to have a study date at the coffee shop. with alot of couples thinking the same thing about having a date here, but not with books. you didn't know what is going on in his mind right when he brought you here. but since you love him so much, you decided to just follow him anyway.

"ai Kibum, how can we study when there are alot of couples smooching around with each other all over the place?" you asked, standing infront of the counter. you placed an order of iced caramel latte with chocolate syrup and whipped cream on top, and a couple of chocolate chip muffins. your boyfriend placed the exact same order, but not the iced caramel latte. he chose the iced chocolate with strawberry syrup with whipped cream on top. the muffins were added on the tray and Kibum payed for all of it. you picked the drinks while he picked up a tray filled with muffins and sat in the corner, making yourself comfortable on the comfy seat.

"we have exams a week after valentine's day. did you expect us to fail instead?" he says coolly. you sighed and open the books, trying to study, but still couldn't help to watch the other couples having a date, being happy, without books. just them. what you didn't realised that Kibum was watching you eyeing other couples. he reached a thin looking book and pat your head with it, getting you to look at him.

"what?"

"don't look at them. focus.." he trailed off. you hummed in response and twirl the pencil in between your fingers and try to absorb all the information needed. but after half an hour later, you get bored. you poke Kibum's hand with the pencil, which in the end getting swatted away. you groaned. this is not how you expected from the first time you met him with the rest. he used to be carefree with others, especially with his other 4 best friends, but since both of you are official, he never do anything that is affectionate with you. he didn't want to hold hands in public, giving kisses to you infront of his friends or even holding hands together. it's like you were never official at all.

just like best friend. you sighed again for how many times today. did you regret this? did you regret the relationship you have with him? the first time that handsome guy asked you to be his girlfriend? at first you think it was a joke, since you are Jinki's childhood friend. you remembered the time you came for a visit to his house, to see Jinki and 4 other attractive guys with him. you could be falling with all of them, including Jinki. but somehow Kibum was the one who captured your eyes the most. and since then, you both started to hang out more than usual, even without having them with you. but after you had to go back to college, you find out that he was studying at the same place as you, only different course. but still, some of the class you have are his. so it strenghthen the crush more every single day.

he didn't make the first move, you thought that he was uninterested. until one day, Jonghyun decided to ask you out on a date. it didn't went well when Kibum barged into his place and got mad at Jonghyun. you were confused. after a few knuckle-bleeding and busted lips, you decided to cancel all the contacts with them, hoping that you staying away from them would make them friends again. you ignored both of their calls, and even move seats in class, away from Kibum. until one day, unexpected visit came from Kibum himself on your doorsteps. with a busted looking face, and even flushed when he brought you a bouquet of pink daisies, handing it to you, and asking you out right away. after a few kisses and hugs, he finally told you the reason why he barged in and interrupt your date with Jonghyun before.

you didn't appreciate that Jonghyun did that because he wanted to tick Kibum off because he thought he was making you wait for too long. so he decided to try his luck and swoop you in a date. and it apparently did ticked him off. the soft-looking face that rarely gets mad for no reason, was not there when they have a brawl in Jonghyun's house. and Jinki even banned both of them to meet you until both of them made up, which worked so well. after both of you gone official, Jonghyun finally stepped back and apologised to you about it. you assures him that it was fine anyway. because you got Kibum.

but...

this isn't what you expected from all that brawl and effort to taking you out and turn into this. a lifeless relationship? it couldn't be like that. you shouldn't think otherwise. you turn to look at your boyfriend. he's wearing a spectacles instead of his contact lens. it made him look more attractive in your eyes, although he tried to deny it everytime you complimented him. you bit your lips. maybe you were right. he's not interested anymore. he's bored. he didn't do anything. nothing. those flowers and kisses and hugs in the past.. you didn't want to sound so clingy, or desperate for his attention. but you were tired of this. you didn't want to waste the i love you's for nothing with him anymore. all is enough. you gather your books and stuffs, catching his attention.

"what are you doing?" he asked, eyeing your movements. you sling your bag on your shoulder, books in hand.

"i'm tired, Kibum. tired of being in this lifeless relationship with you. since you asked me out, all that you do is ignoring me, not even giving kisses or holding hands! you're not.. you." you croaked out the last word. he stood up, thank God the coffee shop was busy so no one are paying attention to you right now.

"i thought that you didn't mind.."

"you didn't think i tried to ignore that whenever we were together? you've changed. i don't even know you anymore."

"which part of you thought that i changed? i'm still the same guy." Kibum says softly, trying to assures you something. you shook your head and back away from him, which stopped him.

"you've changed. think about it. you don't smile at me like before, or even being playful like what we did with the rest of the guys. and coming here on valentine's day? study date? it doesn't even make sense. what, you wanted to torture me instead? it's over, Kim Kibum. we're done." you turn and march towards the door, ignoring his calls and run home, not even care of taking a cab. it's not going to rain, not to be cliche. you don't even believe in fairy tales or happy ending when you're with him. this is a modern fairy tale. and it doesn't have happy ending or even true love. right now the love you need is ice cream, blankets and even a huge sum of hot chocolate. 

 

since you broke off with Kibum, he was out of his mind, wondering what his fault was. he was trapped. he couldn't even focus on studying, he was more focused on thinking about your broken hearted face, the words that rings inside his mind. he was taunted by that. he tried calling you again and again. but you didn't even pick up. even a numerous number of texts and voice messages he left you. she never responded to any. she was hurt, he realised that.

"yah!!! you broke her heart, and you even dare to show up here asking for my help?!" Jinki roared while he clutched the fabric of Kibum's shirt and lift him up with his unspeakable strength, depsite of the other 3 tried to pull him away from hurting Kibum for real. Jinki never displayed his violent side to anyone, but there is always something that could ticked him off,

and that something is Kibum breaking his childhood's friend's heart. he could not bear with that. he promised that he would protect you from anything. and he failed.

he is going to kill Kim Kibum for this.

"hyung! please don't hurt me! listen to me first!" Kibum plead his older hyung. unfortunately Jinki was too mad to even listen, he place a couple of his own punches at Kibum, making him groaned in pain, doubling over the ground. after a few attempts of punching and kicking, Jinki finally have been taken away by Minho and Taemin. good thing both of them work out and all that muscles proven to be useful in this situation. Jonghyun immediately run to Kibum and help him up, with Kibum coughing out air and try to get back into reality, his right cheek is swollen and he couldn't even breath because he was kicked in the ribs. 

"hyung, listen.. to.. me.." Kibum coughed out words. he was having a hard time breathing, but then again, he deserved it. he deserved to be treated worse than that. it's only luck that the rest didn't let him get killed for real.

"what?!" Jinki spat, not even wanting to look at him. Jonghyun helped Kibum to be steady on his place, in case he would fall down again. after a few moment of silence, Kibum decided to speak up when he think that he could breathe again.

"i messed up.. i know i do. i didn't even realised it. i thought that when i got her, it's done for me. i had her, i was happy. i didn't realised that she would want to hold hands or hugs, like the other couples do." 

"are you stupid? didn't you know how to treat a girl right?!" Jinki was mad. he was about to punch him again, but Minho strong hands prevented him to do so.

"stay and listen, hyung" Minho tries to calm him down.

"i need help to see her. she won't even return my calls, or replying to my texts. i- i need to make it up to her. i need to get her back. i promised that i would treat her right. it's just.. i didn't have girlfriend for a long time, i forgot how to treat her right." Kibum mumbles, his eyes filled with tears. genuine tears that was about to drop at any moment. Jinki's face soften at the sight. he almost forgotten about that. Kibum couldn't even get a girlfriend because of his attitude, his soft and sassy attitude. many girls considered him to be softie and weak, that's why they are not interested in him. luckily, only Jinki's childhood friend luckily are interested. and now you left because he didn't show any affection towards you. but you still in love with him no matter what.

"hyung.. please, can you help me?" Kibum sniffed, holding his sleeves to his mouth, trying not to burst out crying. he was trying to be a man in this situation, not a crying mess. Jonghyun, Minho and Taemin exchange glances with each other, before looking at Jinki, hoping that he would understand. Jinki sighed and pull his arms away from Minho's strong hold. he walk towards his maknae and hug him.

"i'll help you." Jinki's word stopped Kibum's sniffing. 

"jinja?"

"ne. but with one condition.."

 

you were scribbling on notes for the upcoming exams while listening to some soothing music. since you decided to focus on exams and not your ex-boyfriend's matter, you are in peace..

until the door knocked repeatedly. 

you groaned and put on a coat and walk to the door. making sure you did not look like a mess, you're only wearing pajamas while studying on bed. taking a deep breath, you opened the door. you scrunched your eyebrows together.

it's not Jinki or Kibum.

it's Jonghyun.

"oppa?" he smiled a little and both of you exchanged hugs before you welcomed him in.

"get ready. we're going on a date." you widened your eyes at this. again?

"w-what? oppa! did you even remember the last time i go on a date with you?" it didn't end good. Jonghyun chuckled and put a hand on your shoulder.

"ne, but still, i'm going to take you out. go get ready ok? no more questions" and so you didn't. you hurried to your room, showered and pick on clothes, but then remembered that you didn't know the occassion. you poke your head out to find Jonghyun talking to the phone with someone.

"oppa?" you didn't mean to be rude, but you need to know. Jonghyun place a hand on his phone, raising an eyebrow at you.

"what should i wear?" Jonghyun let out an "oh" before talking at phone. you rolled your eyes at him. apparently he is deaf.

"oppa!" you hissed at him. 

"just wear anything. we're going to Jinki-hyung's house." you gaped at him in disbelief before closing the door, choosing a summer dress and black leggings so that you won't be that cold. it's crazy to be wearing a summer dress, but you're not spending time to pick something else to match with everything. grabbing your jacket, you head out from the room to the waiting Jonghyun. he eyed the outfit and nodded at you.

"let's go."

 

you arrived at Jinki's house, feeling weird that Jonghyun decided to take you to his house on a date. but instead, you remembered that it didn't turn out well, so you didn't say anything to him. Jonghyun opened the door, letting you walk in like a gentleman do. you thanked him and walk inside. no one's home. maybe Jinki didn't mind that both of you used the place for the day. both of you settled down on a couch, and waited. it seems like he didn't do anything either.

"oppa, what's going on? is this a date or what?" you ask, didn't want to keep it hidden. Jonghyun put a hand in your face to stop you.

"just wait." he says but then he gets up, leaving the room. you were puzzled, but then you heard the door closed. you couldn't believe it. he ditched you?

you cursed for a few times before standing up and picking your bag, about to turn around when you see Kibum walking out from the kitchen, holding chocolates, a bowl of popcorn, and a bouquet of pink daisies. he tried to smile, despite his swollen cheeks. you didn't even dare to ask why, but you can guess it's Jinki.

"Kibum." he walk forward to you, putting popcorn and chocolates on the table, but holding the pink daisies out to you.

he inhale deeply before looking at you in the eyes. "mianhae. for everything. i am a jerk, i hurt you. i made you cry." you were about to say something but he put a hand to stop you from doing so.

"this doesn't even make sense.. but i didn't have a girlfriend for a long time. you came and.. i guess i- a-ani, what i wanted to say is.." he lean his head to the back and inhale deeply again before looking at you.

"i love you." you cupped both of your hands to your mouth and let the tears run freely. he said it. you smiled and hug him, crushing the pink daisies in the process. you hear a groan and pull away quickly.

"Kibum? what happened?" you asks, worried. he smiled but flinched a little due to his cheeks.

"Jinki made me realised that no one could mess with him" both of you chuckled at this.

"that is Jinki."

Kibum raised the half crushed bouquet of pink daisies. "so?" 

you eyed the bouquet a bit before taking it from his hand. "yes Kim Kibum."

 

"Kibum! why are we here again?!" you groaned at this. he had brought you to the coffee shop again. same place, seats and even same beverages. don't forget chocolate chip muffins. he dumped his bag on the seat and smiled. 

"why not?" you smiled and rolled your eyes at him. this time, there is no books and pencils. the exams are over, but he still didn't take his spectacle off. you didn't understand why, but Kibum knew that he wanted to wear it for you. because you liked it on him. you poked the drink with the straw, silence engulfing both of you.

"jagiya." you look up to see him smiling at you behind those spectacles. you smiled at him back.

"hmm?" he put his hand on top of yours, lacing his fingers with yours.

"you didn't even tell me that you love me." you were surprised.

"really?" he raised his eyebrow on you and pinch your cheeks softly. you whined a little before rubbing your cheeks with your free hand.

"oppa!" you pouted. he laughed and place a kiss on your lips. making the moments special. 

you pull away. "what if i don't want to say it?" you challenged him. he narrowed his eyes at you before pinching your nose. you shrieked a little and laughed.

"you sneaky brat. fine." you sighed, acting like you're feeling burdened. Kibum pouted. you smiled and peck his lips.

"i love you too." both of you smiled at this, fingers lacing together and talk about everything that both of you missed before you broke up. with a bouquet of pink daisies and stolen kisses along the way, you are not even thinking about how couples should be. he have his own ways, and you love him just the way he is. just like you to him.