Chapter 4 - Meeting The Future In-Laws

Loving The Real You

A/N: Thanks for all the suggestions guys~! I decided to make Yunho the king, but a very old version of Yunho lol I just picture someone very old as the king.

I would make the queen Jaejoong, but considering I plan to make the queen evil, I don't want that. No matter how much I don't wanna break my precious Yunjae ;~;

 

~~~~~

 

“Th-That’s a lot of people…”

Taemin glanced into the next room, eyeing it nervously. The room was huge; with a high ceiling, giant, pillars, beautiful decorations, and elegant statues. It was full of a surprising amount of people, which only made Taemin ten times more nervous. His hands were shaking, and he tried to take deep breaths, but it didn’t seem to be helping.

“My father decided to call a meeting of the council, I suppose. My choice of bride is a very vital decision to this kingdom, seeing as I could become king. I apologize for not warning you.”

Taemin shook his head, eyes squeezed shut in frustration. “I don’t want to do this. Ican’t do this.” He could feel his throat tighten, and he did his best to hold back the tears. “I just want to go home.” Key stayed silent but put an arm around his shoulder.

Minho looked away, expression emotionless. “I can’t let you do that, Taemin. Whether you or I like it or not, I need you.”

Taemin looked up to glare at the tall prince, eyes swimming with tears. “I hate you.”

Minho let out a hollow chuckle. “And I’m not too fond of you either. I expected a beautiful, curvy woman, and all I received was a little boy.”

For some reason, Minho’s words stung him. He despised this man. Why should he care what Minho thought of him?

“Yea, well this little boy is cross-dressing for your , so I suggest you be a little more appreciative!” Minho finally looked at him, and the smile on his face slowly grew; only making Taemin angrier. “What are you smirking for!?”

“It’s nothing, you just look…very pretty, whether you want to accept it or not. Even if you are only a little boy, you make a very pretty girl.” Taemin’s face flushed red, and he looked away. He heard Key laugh beside him, and he elbowed the older boy in the ribs.

“Shut up,” Taemin said through clenched teeth. “Don’t say stupid stuff like that, idiot.”

Minho only chuckled again. “I am only speaking the truth. Now then, if you will cease this pointless argument, I must go greet a few people. Stay here until I say, we must wait until the entire council is present to introduce you.”

Taemin said nothing, and Minho shrugged before walking away.

As soon as Minho walked out into the main hall, Key burst into laughter.

“What? What is so funny!?”

“That was the most entertained I have been in a long time!” Key continued to laugh, clutching his stomach. “I have never seen anyone talk to the prince like that, it was quite the sight!”

Taemin crossed his arms and huffed. “So what if he’s a prince, it doesn’t make him any less of a jerk. He deserves every insult I give him; he has no right to keep me here.”

Key wiped the tears of laughter from his eyes, and stood up straight to address him. “He’s really not as bad as you think. He would make a brilliant king, and he’s only wants to do what’s best for his Kingdom. It’s understandable that you’re upset that he is using you to get there, but he sees it as his only choice.”

“I don’t care what he wants. This isn’t my home; it’s none of my concern. He took me from my home, my family, my friends…”

Key looked at him with sympathy, and took his hand. “I’m sorry, Taemin. Just…try to think positive, you’ll be home before you know it.”

Taemin sighed and look away from him, towards the main hall. Key’s words, once again, did not do much to reassure him. He fiddled with the soft material of the dress as he studied all the people in the hall.

The people that caught his eye the most though, were four handsome boys sitting at the front, close to the King. The first seat was taken by a man with shining onyx hair, and dimples that could charm any woman. He had a certain gentle air about him, and Taemin could sense his kindness without even knowing him.

The second seat was occupied by man with dark brown hair, much like Minho’s. His legs were elegantly long, and Taemin could see that he was quite tall, even though he wasn’t even standing. He had a cocky smile on his face as he chatted with the man in the first seat.

The third seat was empty, and Taemin assumed that was where Minho normally sat. The fourth seat was taken by a somewhat muscular man with short black hair. He had a scowl on as his face, and Taemin couldn’t help but notice his angry gaze following Minho around the room.

The last seat there sat a young boy that looked a bit out of place. He looked quite innocent; with slightly long, dark red hair, a cute nose, and big shining eyes. He looked much less intimidating than the others, and Taemin felt some relief in the fact that there may be some nice people here.

“They’re the princes.” Taemin jumped, startled by Key’s voice. “The oldest is Siwon, next to him is Changmin. The two younger than Minho are Byungchol and Mir.”

“Keeeeey!”

Key groaned and Taemin turned around to see a man walking towards them, looking at Key with a cocky smirk. “How are you today, dear maiden?”

“Shut up, Jjong,” Key growled before trying to kick the man in the shin, missing by near centimeters. “I told you to stop calling me that!”

‘Jjong’ only laughed as he avoided Key’s kick. “Oh don’t be so uptight, Key,” he said, before looking to Taemin. “Wow, you did a good job with him. If I wouldn’t have already been told, I definitely wouldn’t be able to tell that he isn’t a girl.”

Key stepped forward to cover his mouth. “You really are ignorant, Jonghyun. Don’t say things like that out in the open.”

Jonghyun pushed the younger boy’s hand away before continuing. “Relax, there’s no one out here but us.”

“Um excuse me?”  Taemin interrupted. “But who all knows about me being…well, a boy?”

“Jonghyun and I, of course, Onew, and the woman who will be training you.”

Taemin nodded, feeling slightly curious about this woman. But he pushed his curiosity aside as he spotted Minho making his way over to them.

“Key and Jonghyun, you can take a seat now if you’d like. I'll Taemin.”

The two men nodded. Key gave him an encouraging smile before placing a warm hand on his cheek. “Everything will be fine, Taemin. The King is not a cruel person; there isn’t anything to worry about.”

Taemin gave him a small smile in return, and the two men made their way into the main hall.

Minho stuck out an arm. “Ready?”

Taemin linked his arm with Minho’s and breathed out a shaky sigh. “Definitely not.”

Minho smiled warmly, surprising him once again. He seemed to become more confusing to Taemin by the hour. He was selfish jerk one second, and a comforting, kind man the next.

“There is nothing to be nervous about Taemin. Just follow my lead.” Taemin nodded as they begin to reach the entrance. The scattered conversations seemed to slowly cease as everyone noticed their entrance. Taemin kept his head down, heart beating wildly in his chest, as every head turned their way. And before he knew it, they had reached the King’s thrown. He felt a slight pull on his arm, and he followed Minho, kneeling to the floor in a respectful bow.

“Rise.”

They stood up together slowly, and Minho looked up with a smile. “Father, I present my bride: Taemin.”

Taemin dared to look up for a moment, sneaking a glance at the King. He was quite old, in his 60’s or 70’s maybe, but still quite handsome. Taemin could see the strong features through the aged skin, and he knew that the old man had probably been very good looking as a boy. The queen sat next to him, eyes shooting daggers at Taemin. The hostility in her gaze frightened him.

“This girl? She…she is quite young, yes? How old are you, Miss?”

Taemin was shocked that the King was speaking to him directly. He didn’t expect this; he thought Minho would do all the talking.

“I-I’m 16…Your Highness,” he answered in a light, airy voice.

“Hmmm that is quite young…”

“Father, if I may say, there have been queens that were at the age of 13. Besides, should age truly matter, if she has the skills of a queen?”

King Yunho smiled at his son. “That is a valid point.”

“What Kingdom do you come from?” He asked, speaking to Taemin once again. Taemin panicked, completely stumped. He glanced to Minho, and he could practically see the message in Minho’s eyes “Make up something! Anything!

“The Kingdom of Seoul, Your Highness.” Despite the nerve-racking situation, Taemin felt the urge to laugh. It was technically where he came from, but it sounded quite ridiculous referring to as a Kingdom.

“I’ve never heard of this place. Minho, where is it?”

“I had never heard of it before either, Father. It’s a very small Kingdom hidden in the mountains. My men and I came across it on our way back from the battle. Sadly, it was completely destroyed by Wilds; we thought there were no survivors. But we came across the princess, injured, but very much alive. We treated her wounds, and in return, she helped us find our way out of the mountains. She charmed me on our travels, and I could not deny that she would be my perfect queen.”

Wilds? What on earth are Wilds?” Taemin’s curiosity burned, but he kept his thoughts to himself.

Minho unhooked their arms and wrapped an arm around Taemin’s waist. He blushed slightly, feeling his skin tingle at Minho’s touch.

“So, the Kingdom she came from no longer exists?” King Yunho did not look happy at that revelation, but Minho didn’t let it faze him.

“Yes, Sir. But she is still considered a princess, is she not? Just because she lost her family, does not mean she has also lost her title, am I correct?” Minho questioned bravely.

 The King sighed. “Well, I suppose. But the advantage of many of these marriages is the allies we gain in other Kingdoms.”

“I understand, Father. But I implore you to see past that. It is very saddening that she has lost her family and home, and we have lost what could have been a great ally, but she is of royal descent, and I wish nothing more than to marry her. So I see no reason why you could deny her. Please consider wisely, Father.”

King Yunho studied him, and the room was silent for a few moments as he thought. Taemin suddenly got a bad feeling. What if Minho’s statement was too bold? Was the King insulted?

“Taemin,” the King said suddenly. Taemin’s head shot up, and he looked at the King timidly. The King opened his mouth to speak, but stopped upon seeing Taemin’s face fully. He looked shocked, which looked very strange to Taemin, coming from such a calm man. “Huh…very strange. I’m sure you have heard this many times since arriving here, but your eyes…they are quite unique.”

“Y-Yes, Your Highness. Many people have said that.”

“I’m sorry to bring up something so trivial, but they were so striking, it is difficult not to comment on them.” He chuckled, lightening the atmosphere a bit.

“As I was going to say, Taemin, I am deeply sorry about the lose of your family. It is not easy to lose those close to you.”

Taemin felt his eyes burning as his father’s face immediately appeared in his mind. No, is definitely was not easy. “Y-Yes, Your Highness.”

“And I hope your wounds heal quickly. You look lovely today, but I think you would look much lovelier without those bruises.” Taemin couldn’t fight a small smile. So the King was a charmer, huh? “Thank you, Your Highness.”

“Taemin, I am very proud of my son. He is strong, he is wise, and I always trust his judgment. I see no reason not to trust him now, so…don’t disappoint me.” King Yunho smiled gently, and Taemin suddenly realized that this meeting wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be. He expected someone cruel and strict, not this gentle person. He began to feel guilty for deceiving him.

“So, I may marry her, father?” Minho asked, smiling.

“Yes, Son.”

“Thank you!” Taemin followed Minho’s actions once again, bowing low.

“This is absurd! She is merely a little girl from a destroyed Kingdom! She isn’t fit to be a candidate for Queen, Father!” Taemin looked up to see the man that had been glaring at Minho earlier.

“Byungchol! Don’t be so rude! That is not your decision to make! Now sit!” King Yunho’s deep voice echoed off the walls, and Taemin felt shocked that such a harsh tone came from the gentle man.

Byungchol sat down reluctantly, this time glaring at Taemin. Taemin looked away from the menacing stare, instead concentrating on Minho’s hand tightening on his waist.

“I apologize, Taemin. I wish you and my son happiness, and I hope you can soon call this place home.”

Never.

This place would never be home.

“Thank you again, Your Highness,” Taemin answered, forcing a smile.

 

~~~~~

 

 

 

A/N: For some reason, it took me FOREVER to write this chapter :p

But hey, at least a lot of characters were introduced~

I made the fourth brother (Byungchol) an OC bcuz I couldn't think of a sutiable kpop idol to play one of the bad guys.