First and last

My first, your last
Please log in to read the full chapter

“I-I always s-seem to f-find my way back to you,” she struggled to say, her voice barely a whisper. 

Her arms were clamped around her shoulders as she convulsed erratically, shivering from the cold rain.     

“Tiffany.”

Her name was the only thing I could bring myself to say out loud.

She looked so fragile.  I wanted to pull her close and hug her tightly, but I was afraid she would fall apart in my arms.

Instead, I gently took her hand and led her into the house.

Barely taking a few steps, she suddenly lost her balance and stumbled forward.

Reaching out to her, the unexpected weight of her body caused my legs to give out as we dropped to the floor.

Ignoring any pain I felt, I rushed to Tiffany’s side.

Part of her sweater had come undone, exposing extensive bruising on her shoulder.  I silently cursed at the vileness that seemed to stare back at me as if it belonged there. 

Tiffany noticed my reaction and acted like it was nothing, quickly covering it with her sweater. 

“It was my fault.  Don’t worry about it,” she said flatly as she looked at the ground.     

Hearing her say those words, I clenched my fists.  I was about to stand when Tiffany grabbed my arm.

“Yuri, don’t,” her voice trembled with desperation as her eyes met mine for the first time that night.  “Just…stay with me.”

Not wanting to cause Tiffany anymore hurt, I nodded in response.  I slowly stood up and helped her to her feet.

“Let’s get you into some warm clothes,” I said softly, offering a smile as I silently fought back tears that threatened to fall. 

***

Standing in front of her, I noticed I was shaking. 

I hesitated slightly before lifting my arms which felt like a thousand pounds. 

Struggling to keep my hands steady, I began to remove her clothes as delicately as I could.

I started to peel back the sides of her sweater, the cold and wet fabric clung to her skin as it lazily dragged across her shoulders before falling carelessly to the floor.

“Yuri.” 

Her voice was so small it sounded like a distant echo.

Her eyes were full of sadness.  Straining to maintain eye contact, I quickly averted my gaze in fear I would lose my mind.  

One by one, I continued to remove her clothes until all that remained was the shell of a person I barely recognized.  The bright and bubbly, outspoken, eye smiling girl I met a long time ago was now just a memory.  

Easing her into the bathtub, I knelt down and grabbed a washcloth. 

I inhaled sharply.  Her back was severely bruised and scarred. I looked away as tears began to fall. 

At that moment, I wanted to wash it all away and erase the pain I wished she didn’t have.  As I made contact with her skin, Tiffany arched her back slightly. 

“I’m sorry.  Did I hurt you?” I said as I pulled back out of concern.

“No, it’s not that.  I just…” she paused.  I could tell she was crying.

“I…I must look so ugly to you,” she said softly. 

Overcome with emotion, I felt a sudden need to be closer to Tiffany and fervently wrapped my arms around her frail body.  She winced a little reminding me how fragile she was.  

“Yuri…I…”

I wanted to stay strong for her and be someone she could always lean on, but the wall I carefully built around my hea

Please log in to read the full chapter