final

Prove It


Prove it


 

His mind is shattered. More shooting sounds could be heard anywhere. More shouts, more explosion, more fallen bodies. He looked everywhere where all he could see is dead bodies and weapons littered on the ground. He closed his left eye as he could feel blood on it. He’s dizzy. With all those sounds he thinks his ears will turn deaf. Debris is up in the air. It’s hard even for breathing and his gaze is weakened. His breaths are shallow, but he keeps walking and looking around checking if there’s someone who still breathing. He bend his body, shivered when more blood pours out from his waist.

He wipes his blood-soaked eyes and notices someone raises his hands. It’s his comrades. Lying helplessly on the ground. Right hand and leg are missing. Such an awful look in such an awful place. He shakes his body, trembling when those weak hands caught his wrist.

“You....must...live...” he coughed blood, then loosen his grip on his wrist. 

He’s dead.

Sunggyu is shaking. He’s shivering, trembling, overwhelmed with feels. He has to be alive. He must live. He has to go home. He has to...

A shout could be heard from behind, Sunggyu is late for a second to notice what it was when a small device was thrown in the air and all he could see and hear is nothing.

 

~

 

Sunggyu already knows that he have an important duties once he’s being born to the world. He already knows that it’s his compultion to join forces when an air bomber from neighboring country flying shamelessly in his beautiful sky and dropped a bomb right above the town hall. Killed all those people inside when they had a meeting.

It’s already on the news for a couple of weeks before, that North had begun their cruel invasion to South. Like a virus, the news already spread through his small town. That the chief asked his men to prepare for everything, for what will come. For the worst.

So, Sunggyu remember he had joined the forces when he knows the consequences for being a soldier. It’s risks of going to the war.

He knows that sad expression when the news reached him

He will be leaving to the front line. His Captain had placed his name right beside him on the battlefield. He have to go, even it’s mean he have to prepare for everything he will leaves behind. His mother is crying, saying between sobs that she’s so proud of him for serving the country. His father who’s working every day in a muddy field planting seeds that will fill everyone's stomach just could pat his shoulder proudly and even if he could see his glistening eyes.

He will leaves him behind. His love, his everything.

He already knows it when his captain told him a soldier have to serve the country until his last breath, or go die in shame. He already knows it that he might be dead in the battlefield. There’s no other option left for him except being disable for the rest of his life if not dying in the war.

He already knows it all. He left with no choice.

Either he have to break all the bonds now or he can’t even move right in the battlefield.

So, when he asks him to meet up near the river, he knows he already made up his mind. He knows what he will choose right now is the best option he have.

 

“I have to go, Woohyun”

Sunggyu stared at those pretty eyes that cast downward. He’s waiting for his reaction as he wrapped his palm on his cold hand. Winter is nearing and Sunggyu knows Woohyun will never  be fond of cold. His eyelashes are frozen, his temple, and cheeks are cold. His sad gaze...is what hold all those frozen daggers ready to kill him.

Woohyun lifted his gaze, staring straight into his eyes. 

Sunggyu knows Woohyun will never answer that. His statement before hold all the meaning he needs to know. Even breaking up with him.

“Will you be alright?”

Just one question from him, but Sunggyu already knows the answer to that. He wants to shout NO to him, but duties are waiting for him when he arrived home.

Sunggyu notices those eyes glistening with tears. He wants to hug him, wrap him with his love. He doesn’t want to leave him alone while he going to the war. But he have to serves his country first, whether he will die or not he will deal with it later. Even his feelings, desires, he has to put everything aside and leave it behind.

“I will. And you will, too” he answers.

“I love you, Sunggyu”

Woohyun is in tears now, Sunggyu feels his heart squeezed tight at the sight.

“I love you too, Woohyun,” He holds his head gently and wipes those tears from his eyes. But, Woohyun just shakes his head stubbornly and turns his body toward him.

“C...can’t you...not go?” Woohyun whispered slowly.

Sunggyu knows it too, his silence before doesn’t mean that he will let him go easily. Woohyun just loves him too much.

“I can’t, Woohyun. I have to go, our country needs me. I have to protect our country, to protect you”

“But can’t you just be here...w...with me?” Woohyun’s voice is hoarse and he stuttered.

“I told you, I can’t”

Woohyun is silent.

“So, are we over now?”

Sunggyu have no choice but to nod his head.

“Does that mean you don’t love me?”

Sunggyu can’t answer to that question.

A siren sounds could be heard in the entire village. It’s a sign for all of the soldiers to gather and get ready to depart. Woohyun still held his gaze toward him, waiting for him to answer his question. But Sunggyu just lower his gaze, he can’t even looked straight into his eyes.

“I love you, Sunggyu”

“I know, Woohyun”

“Why can’t you love me back, Sunggyu?”

Sunggyu is silent for a while.

“We can’t be together, Woohyun. You don’t understand in what situation we are right now” Sunggyu said hurriedly.

Woohyun sniffs and start crying again. Sunggyu can’t hold himself any longer.

“But you said you loved me back then”

“We’re in a war, Woohyun. I can’t be with you”

Woohyun cast his gaze down. He tried to hold his tears and sniffles. He nodded his head slowly as if he understand on what Sunggyu had said to him.

He slowly turns around as more tears streamed down his cold cheeks. 

Sunggyu knows it. He’s pretty sure Woohyun won’t show him his crying face again anymore in the future.

He already expected Woohyun to shouts at him, telling him to ‘ off’ or those in lines. Throw rocks or anything at him. Even he already expected Woohyun to say ‘go away from me, I hate you’ or ‘go die in the battlefield’

But what Sunggyu doesn’t expect it at all is when Woohyun cleaned his face from tears and snot with his sleeve and said,

“Go. Go prove yourself to the country, you’re worth enough to serves this country as a soldier. Go prove it, that I’m not worth of your love”

Woohyun walks away from him, still crying when he disappeared from his sight.

Sunggyu couldn’t ever forget the way he cries his heart out when he visited him at home to bid him goodbye. The way he backed away from Sunggyu when he wants to hug him (for the last time?)

Even when he already at the bus, heading to the front line, squeezed with other men with worries and anxiety for the war, he couldn’t get Woohyun out of his mind.

 

 


Woohyun left him crying.

Sunggyu left him crying.

Woohyun silently cried his tears dry, wailed his heart out.

Sunggyu silently dying. For what he knows it already, he’s not only worth everything, he’s not even worth a single soul.

He’s lying there, helplessly. Like his comrades that died before his eyes. Is he going to die like his other comrades too?

Silly thought, he knows it already. Sunggyu knows it all already.

He will die. Dying while serving his country. That’s worth a glory. But no, Sunggyu doesn’t even feel the glory surge his body, knowing him fighting for his country until his last breath, no.

He clenched his fist. Groaned in pain as he tried to stand. Every cell in his body screamed pain, but he just doesn’t care. He’s still breathing. There’s another thing he has to fight now. He realized it just now. 

He still have to fight for Woohyun’s heart.

 

~

 

Woohyun pour the soup to a bowl. Gracefully shut down the fire and put the bowl in a tray. Winter still ongoing and he needs to survive through this cold weather that he hates the most. He walks as slowly as he can as he knows walking faster will do no good to his weak body. He stopped in front of a door, and open it slowly.

Inside, he notices that his little brother doesn’t sleep at all. His brother’s condition is worse than him. He’s putting the tray down when his brother finally takes notice of him and put the thing he has in his palm to the table near him.

“Here, you need to eat this before its turn cold, Myungsoo”

He nods slowly and reached his hands out to hold the bowl between his trembling hands.

“Hyung, I want to hear the news,” Myungsoo speak lowly while blowing his soup. Woohyun reached the device and twirl the button. Hearing the voices from the small radio make Myungsoo smiled. Knowing what condition now in the front line is important, that’s why Myungsoo always listened whatever that thing says to him. If there any news about a certain someone in the front line....

Myungsoo turn his gaze toward his brother. They both being born with weak body. Myungsoo is an orphan and Woohyun’s mother being kind enough to take him under their roofs and feed him food everyday. Woohyun once lived with his parents. His father died as a warrior when Woohyun still an infant.

The old lady already died years ago, following his husband. Leaving his angels alone in the harsh and cruel world. Woohyun teach kids in the village. But now there are nobody to teach since the war begins. Myungsoo can’t do anything since he’s weak and he feels sorry for his brother. Once, he feels like a burden for him. But, Woohyun keep showing him love and take a great care of him. Myungsoo is thankful.

But, seeing his brother crying, hiding his reddened face from his lover back then, Myungsoo feels worst.

Woohyun loves Sunggyu but he had to go to the war. Until now, he doesn’t even hear any news regarding him on the radio. Except a news around a week ago about the front line army being ambushed with enemy troops. No one confirmed to live, but they still trying to inform anything for every people in the South. It’s either he’s already died or being captive in enemy’s camp. Both of it still a bad news to Myungsoo, but at least he wants to know if he still alive. At least for the sake of his brother.

Myungsoo finished his soup and give the bowl to Woohyun. Woohyun smiled and put it back on the tray.

Just when Woohyun is about to leave to the kitchen, Myungsoo heard a shocking news from the radio.

And he shouted loudly...


“... We still trying to locate every living soldiers right now. But, Commander Lee has sent us the letter. It’s about the enemy’s armies that---retreating to the north and---our front lines armies are able to take back some of the districts that being taken over---by the North before. Some of our replacement soldiers in the front line are also---succeed to repulse the main troops of North---------the Highest Commander Jang also informed us that this may be our victory-we repeat------victory----victory for Our Country!!!----we informed it again!! It’s our victory!!!---- our soldiers are able to-------”

 

“You heard it hyung?! You heard it right? We win!!! The South Win!!” 

Maybe for the first time in his life, Myungsoo never shouted so loud before. He feels his throat burns, but he doesn’t care. They win against the enemy. The war is over.

He can also hear the shouts from outside. The people might already heard the news. Men shouted in victory, women cried in happiness, kids laughed with joy.

The South finally win and it brings glory and joy to the entire nation. 

But not for this one person.

Myungsoo noticed it. Woohyun just stand there in silence.

Myungsoo knows it. They might win but he’s not. Myungsoo knows it.

From his dying gaze and silent tears.

There’s still no news about Kim Sunggyu.

 

~
 

People are busy moving around, back and forth, running to aid new soldier that comes for help, yelling at one person to another for helping the soldier immediately. Alcohol and antiseptic could be smelled in the air. Mixed with blood and new ripped cloth or gauze. Soldier screamed, groaned and cried. Nurses and doctors are panicked.

He opened his tired eyes. All he could see is dirty-white roofs of the tent. He tilted his head a bit and see the commotion. His vision is still blurry, he can’t make out who is who, and his ears still ringing. He lifted his right hand and noticed a needle puncture his wrist.

“Are you okay, sir?” a voice greeted him. He squinted his eyes, trying to see who’s coming to his aid. A nurse is putting her palm in his forehead, and checking the drip.

Sunggyu just nodded his head. He’s okay, perfectly okay. The nurse then writes something in her clipboard, then saying something Sunggyu doesn’t quite understand about. Then, she left.

He’s still laying there, doing nothing.

He needs to go home. His family is waiting for him.

He feels his head lightened, like he just want to close his eyes and let sleep overtake him.

Just when he’s about to drift into dreamless sleep, he heard another person walked toward his bed.

“Are you Kim Sunggyu?” he could hear a soft voices graced his ears. He opened his eyes again and turn his head toward the voice. Through his blurry vision, he could form a person standing beside his bed and another two soldier behind him. He nods his head.

“Good, now that you’re awake, I would like to inform you that our Highest Commander, Commander Jang wants to see you”

Now that’s made Sunggyu fully awake.

 

 

With another person holding him closely, he walks to the small building near his nursing tent, limping. Another person in front of him, guiding him to a room where the Highest Commander is already waiting for him.

The soldier from before stopped and pointed to a door in front of him.

“He’s waiting for you inside, just take your time with him”

Sunggyu breathed a weak ‘thank you’ to the soldier and signaled to the person holding him to help him walk to the room. He knocked on the door several times. After hearing a sound, granting him for coming, he opens the door.

Two men dressed in formal army suits are in the room greeted him right away. One he knows as his commander in his troops, and another one might be Commander Jang.

“Hello, Kim Sunggyu” the person sitting behind the desk greeted him after he has finally seated himself in the only non-occupied chair in the room. Sunggyu nodded his head weakly. The soldier stepped back behind him, still doing his duties to watch over him.

“I’m Commander Jang. As you know, I would like to thank you over your and other soldiers achievement for gaining victory for our country. But more than that, I would like to thank you personally, Kim Sunggyu”

Sunggyu just nodded his head weakly again, he’s in no mood for talking right now, besides, his throat still hurt. If he talks, it may open his wound again. He still needs some time to recover.

“I’m so proud of what you did in the front lines back then Sunggyu. I heard that the scouting team found out that no one was alive after the ambush, but they couldn’t check closer due to the enemy  still residing there. So they didn’t know that you still alive, still there, killing one by one enemy troops that still reside there. And even, you succeed to kill Jong Pil Gook, their highest Commander. Knowing one of their winning key is already defeated, that’s what made them retreat. And that’s what make us win now”

Sunggyu nodded again. Remembering him silently walking between smoke and debris, killing one after another troops that he sees, and their Commander...

That old man is very cruel and heartless. Sunggyu feels his stomach sting remembering where that old man had shot him.

“That’s a great achievement, Sunggyu. I’m so proud of you, our General must be proud of you, no, I mean Our Country. Thank you, Kim Sunggyu. Now you will be named as our Nation’s Hero. Congratulation, Sunggyu. You make us proud”

 

 

 

Hero, huh? 

Sunggyu thought when he was being escorted to a bus, waiting for him to take him back home, to his village. Several soldiers, friends and comrades, greet him, pats his shoulders and bid him goodbye and a safe trip back to his hometown. He received it all. He still needs to undergo some check ups and maybe the small hospital in his village will held him there for several days considering he needs to recover first. But Sunggyu doesn’t care, he will do it later, after he meets his family, his beloved ones.

Oh how he missed him. So much.

How he regretted ever saying such things to Woohyun.

After being hit by a stray grenade thrown at his direction, its impact also hit his mind hard. His mind just being opened up. And see things in different perspective.

How he just wants to hug him right now, saying sorry, everything so Woohyun will forgive him and take him back.

He will do everything for Woohyun. He still has to win his heart.

 

~

 

The bus stopped at the outskirt of his village, where everyone had already waiting for their husband, brother, father, coming back from the war. Some of them cried in happiness, some of them laughed together when they’re reunited again as a family. Some of them, just silently watching other family hugging while they know their own family will never coming back to them. They died as a hero, protecting their country. Sunggyu could see behind those sad smile.

But, Sunggyu doesn’t see his parents. Of course, no one knows that he still alive. He wonders if the news already reached his hometown. Right when he slings his bag in his shoulders, he feels a hard push from behind him. He heard a yell and a cry. And a pair of arm hugging him tight.

He turns around and sees his mother hugging him from behind and she’s crying. Sunggyu doesn’t know what’s gotten into him when suddenly he wails his heart out too. He hugs his mom closer, tightly, feeling her close to him, nuzzled his nose in her gray hair. He doesn’t know that his mother already waiting for him here.

His mother hug him tightly and suddenly pushed him off her and cupped his wet cheeks.

“I’m so proud of you, my son. My son” she cried again and brought his head closer to her cheeks. They cried again when Sunggyu saw his father walking toward them. His mother released him and kiss his cheeks. She tells her to go to his father. Sunggyu nods and right away run to hug his father.

The old man doesn’t cry out loud, but Sunggyu knows that his eyes is watering. He hugs his father tightly.

“Welcome home, son. I’m so proud...we are so proud of you” his father pats his shoulder.

“You know I’m still alive?” Sunggyu asked with a hoarse voice. His father nods and hug his mother who joined them again.

“Of course we know, Sunggyu” his mother wipes his tears and Sunggyu laughed at the act.

“I thought no one will be coming for me” Sunggyu said.

“No, actually we’re here because of Myungsoo, son” his father said.

Hearing the familiar names, Sunggyu notices that the said boy is standing at the back, watching them reunite again from afar. He’s crying too, but he tried to hold his tears back. He smiled when he noticed Sunggyu staring at him.

“Myungsoo, what....are you okay going out like this just to see me? How’s your condition? How about.....Woohyun...?” Sunggyu is lost for word when he remember him. 

“I’m glad and thankful that you’re here, hyung. Alive...” Myungsoo wipes his fallen tears and grab Sunggyu’s hand.

“Let’s go home? Hyung is waiting for you” Myungsoo shows him his smile.

“But...how about Woohyun? Does he knows...” Sunggyu looked back at his parents whom just smile silently watching them.

“About that... It’s a surprise, hyung” Myungsoo smiled again. “I don’t know if you still want to get back together with Woohyun hyung, but...” Myungsoo seems unsure of what he’s going to say now. But then he feels a strong grip in his wrist.

“Take me. I want to meet him,”

All Myungsoo could see is determination from those eyes.

 

 

Sunggyu might use too much energy, but, he just doesn’t care at all. He’s limping, but still running wildly just to meet him. His mother might scream in shock, shouted for him to slow down or else his wound will be opened again. He runs as fast as he can, dumping his bag and search for the entire house.

“Woohyun”

He even calling for his name. But he couldn’t find him anywhere.

“Where is he?” Sunggyu panted heavily.

Myungsoo arrived later when Sunggyu still searching in the entire house. He’s trying to catch his breath while panting heavily. He smiles and then collapse suddenly. Sunggyu’s father is right there in the second and catch him before he hit the ground. His face is pale and he’s breathing hard and slow.

“He must be force his body too much” the old man said.

“We need to take him inside. It’s cold here,” Sunggyu’s mother helping his husband to lift Myungsoo’s light body and bring him inside.

“Myungsoo?”

A voice startled both of them. Sunggyu’s mother turns his head and shocked.

“Woohyun...?”

Woohyun stand there watching them lifting Myungsoo’s body. And he noticed his little brother pale face. His own face turned panic.

“What are you guys doing here? What’s going on with Myungsoo? Is he okay?” Woohyun runs to aid his brother. He touched his cold cheeks and tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

“He passed out, Woohyun. While you are going outside, Myungsoo take us to the outskirt. He got the news that the returned soldiers were gathered there and......” Sunggyu’s mother is silent for a while.

“He’s running here to tell you that he’s back, Woohyun. But suddenly he fainted” Sunggyu’s father continued for her.

He’s back? Woohyun is silent for a while, still trying to digest the information from both of the parents. That’s when he heard a soft voice calling for his name.

“Woohyun”

 

He turned his head toward the voice, still wearing unbelieving expression on his face. Sunggyu stand there watching him with glazing eyes.

“You...alive?” Woohyun said as he caught a single tear dropped from his eyes. He shakes his head and squint his eyes, trying to hold his tears as he stepped back from Sunggyu. But the soldier just nodded his head, have his lips in a tight line and suddenly walked closer to Woohyun.

“Woohyun”

He called again, this time sounded more desperate. He really missed him, he wants him to look at him again and erase those expressions on his face. He's still alive, breathing, but a certain look from Woohyun make him desperate to wipe those all.

Woohyun sees Sunggyu’s parent leaving the two behind. They bring Myungsoo’s body inside the house. So, now, it’s just the two of them, in the middle of a deserted road, with snow started to fall slowly.

“Thanks god...You’re alive” Woohyun wipes his tears as he suddenly feels a strong and warm body embracing him in a tight hug. He feels suffocated by the hug as Sunggyu keeps hugging him tightly. The tears pouring out without him can control of it.

“I’m not going to die. Not yet” Sunggyu whispers slowly to his ear, blowing warm breath to his frozen ear. The soldier then released the hug and stare at Woohyun’s puffy eyes.

“Are you okay?” Woohyun asked suddenly. 

“Perfectly fine. Just minor injuries and some that need special treatment” Sunggyu answers while he wipes the tears from Woohyun’s face.

Woohyun heaved a sigh as he raised his hand to touch the medal pinned in Sunggyu’s left chest.

“Have you eat?” Woohyun slowly retreated his hands from Sunggyu’s medal.

Sunggyu wants to say no, he hasn’t eat anything since he leaves the camp, but he doesn’t want to answer that question. There’s something more important to him, rather than fill his stomach with warm food, he choose to finish what he already planned before.

“We need to talk, Woohyun”

“Eat first, then talk. You must be tired walking from the outskirt until here,” Woohyun said while smiling to Sunggyu and walked away from him. But the soldier already gripped his hand, preventing him from leaving and by making him forget his intentions any longer.

“No, we need to talk. Right now, Woohyun”

“Is there anything to talk about?” 

Sunggyu frozen hearing Woohyun’s cold reply toward him.

“Woohyun...I...l listen first, Woohyun--”

“We’re over, if am I not mistaken it. I’m just nothing to you, right? Even I’m not worth everything for you”

“No! No, that isn’t it.. I...I know I was at fault back then. I’m not thinking straight and all of my thought were full of serving the country. I keep thinking about what you said back then. I’m sorry that you have....these thought about you’re not worth anything to me” Sunggyu exhaled a long breath and continued, “Actually, you’re everything to me...Woohyun....you worth everything. Even if...even if we’re win, but I’m not winning the fight...” Sunggyu lowered his head, tearing his gaze away from Woohyun’s teary eyes.

That’s caught Woohyun’s attention.

“What do you mean? We’re winning the war, you serves the country as it is, and more importantly, you’re save and alive. You’re here now, Sunggyu”

“But I’m not winning your heart”

Woohyun is left silent after hearing Sunggyu’s words.

The snow keeps falling and Woohyun can see the things are piling up above Sunggyu’s head and fringe. He suddenly has this urge to ruffles his soft black hair and burry his cold finger in his messy tangled hair.

After his mind finally digest what Sunggyu had said to him, Woohyun can’t help a small smile appeared on his lips.

He dips his head down and absent mindedly grazed his sole to the white ground below him.

“Then....you have to do something about it”

Sunggyu raised his head up, wondering what Woohyun had just whispered to him before.

“I...”

“If you want to win this...” Woohyun put his hand on his left chest, grasping it in his fist.

“You have to prove it to me”

“And to yourself,” Woohyun added, “That I’m worth everything for you like you said before”

Sunggyu’s smile appeared when he sees Woohyun’s smiling toward him. Sunggyu raised his hand and traced his fingers on Woohyun’s cold cheeks.

“You must be worrying sick when I was away” Sunggyu teases him. Woohyun blushes and turned his face away from Sunggyu. Sunggyu’s soft chuckle is what filling Woohyun’s ears with. He takes Woohyun’s chin softly, and turned his face back toward him.

“I’m going to prove it to you, Woohyun” he whispered softly as he closed the distance between them.

 


see, woohyun is just a desperate wife /got bricked/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

woohyun is 4 months pregnant of sunggyu's child /got slapped/

 


 

Extra

 

The weak boy finally opened his heavy eyelids. What’s greeted him first is black, blankness. Until his eyes finally adjust to the dim light, he sees a wrinkled face of an old man, staring at him with a soft gaze. A warm smile directed to him, and a warm palm placed on his forehead.

“You’re awake” the old man said slowly.


“But he still cold. He’s breathing heavily”


He heard another voice, and an aging face appeared in his blurry vision. A face of a woman. He remembered his mother’s face, a woman who took him under her roofs and give him food to eat. A kind-hearted woman who now is already in the highest and beautiful place in the sky.

He exhaled a breath, and inhaled another. He feels light headed.


“Whe..re....is....hyu..ng?”

He sounds funny.

He laughed at how he sounded and how his breath clouding in front of his face.

 

“He still outside, with Sunggyu”

He smiles.


”Does...does he....smiling?” he feels so sleepy suddenly.

The old woman stands up, and peek outside. She just keeps silent.


“Yes, he is”

 

Myungsoo exhaled another heavy breath. But he’s smiling. He’s so happy that he can feel a tear escaped his eyes.

Hyung is happy
And so do I

Myungsoo slowly closed his eyes, heaved another breath as he falls into his small world where he stand proudly, holding a flag of his nation. A medal of Nation’s Hero proudly shining in his chest as a woman whom he called mom appeared and told him how she’s so proud of him and take him fly away to the sky.

 

¤


 

hope you enjoy it 
comment is nice (´▽`)