CHAPTER 2

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaejoong saw his opening! He quickly sidestepped to avoid the incoming of Oh Ji-ho’s wooden sword. The sword’s point missed his chest armor. Jaejoong quickly countered by slapping the backside of his trainer with the wide blade of his own wooden sword.

 

A loud smack was heard inside the training area, followed by Jaejoong’s laughter as Oh Ji-ho’s face turned bright red. Oh Ji-ho was the captain of the guards in the castle, and no soldier would dare play a prank on him. Yet that never deterred Jaejoong's playfulness.

 

"That is not how a gentleman fighter acts! Your father never behaved like this during his training days!" Oh Ji-ho reprimanded the young prince.

 

Being compared to his father was part of Jaejoong’s life. But he was used to it. He was after all his father’s son. He inherited most of his physical features from King Won Bin. From his dark raven hair and eyes to his six-foot frame that was still growing. But he kept his hair shoulder length unlike his father who chose to have a short haircut showing his ears and nape. Some people said, he carried himself the same way his father did during his younger days. They even insisted, he sounded so much like his father. That was so true specially when he would try to mimic in jest the often serious tone and countenance of his father.

 

But as to Jaejoong's facial features, none could decide whether his good looks were inherited from his father or his mother, Lady Lee Na-young. Lady Na-young​ was not only beautiful, she was also regal and very dignified in speech and poise. Which was the complete opposite of Jaejoong.

 

"It is already 1995,  Ji-ho. And no young men today ever behaved like my father anymore." He grinned.

 

Oh Ji-ho ignored  Jaejoong's words and continued talking.

 

"You must always face your opponent and never stab him on his back," Oh Ji-ho firmly reminded Jaejoong. "

 

I didn’t stab you, Sir Ji-ho, I merely reminded you that I have changed my position."  Jaejoong tried to sound serious, but he couldn’t stop himself from grinning.

 

Oh Ji-ho’s two brows appeared to join together as his frown deepened. It was the sign, the captain of the castle guards was about to give a lecture. A very loud and stern lecture on the proper behavior and etiquette of a gentleman fighter.

 

"Your Highness," Oh Ji-ho let out a frustrated sigh. "In two weeks' time, you will turn eighteen and become a man in the eyes of everyone. It is now time that you stop these silly and childish antics of yours! By that time, you will also become the chosen one, the heir to your father’s legacy and our hope in defeating the coming darkness!"

 

"You are too serious, Ji-ho. Besides, the Oracle could be wrong this time," he teased. "

 

The Oracle is never wrong! She speaks only the truth!" A worried frown crossed Oh Ji-hos brow. "Do not speak of the Oracle like this again, Prince  Jaejoong. Such words might be interpreted as disrespect. Such talk about the Oracle could even be called by some as blasphemous. These kind of talk is not befitting for a future king like you."

 

"You worry too much, Ji-ho. Those were just mere words of jest. I do not question the powers of the Oracle."

 

Oh Ji-ho let out a sigh of relief.

 

But in truth,  Jaejoong had always wondered about the words of the Oracle. Everyone in Haldor believed in the Oracle. Every year, thousands come to the City of Solaris just to hear the Oracle speak of what each of them should do in the coming year. No one had ever defied or questioned the words of the Oracle. It was believed that misfortune and even death would befall the person or region who did not heed the Oracle’s words and prophecies.

 

"Fighting is not just about winning or defeating your opponent, Prince  Jaejoong. It is also about showing your opponent your dignity and gaining their respect. If you defeat your opponent using dirty tactics, you will gain an enemy. But if you defeat him in a fair fight, he might even become an ally or a friend."

 

"If I am to lead our people to fight this coming darkness, then I must learn how to defeat my enemies in all ways possible! I cannot win if I continue to follow the rules of a gentleman fighter when my opponent is no gentleman," he countered.

 

"You need not concern yourself, Prince  Jaejoong, with such dirty tactics. Your soldiers will do the fighting. You will fight using them. They will become your hands and feet while you do the planning in the safety of this castle. A prince must never dirty his hands with blood."

 

Jaejoong lowered his eyes to show Oh Ji-ho he understood and he would follow his instructions and lessons. Ever since his training began in the use of weapons to defend himself, he knew something was not right. That if he fought using these honor-filled techniques and rules, he would lose in a real fight. Honor was never important in a real fight. The only thing important once you faced your opponent was to win and to survive.

 

He suppressed a grin. Unbeknownst to everyone, he had begun to test his theory in fighting five years ago. He had snuck out of the castle then, disguised himself as an ordinary youngster and started a fight in an alley. To his surprise and humiliation, he got beaten by a boy smaller than him because he used the gentleman way of fighting!

 

Since everyone in the castle noticed the bruises, he put the blame on his injuries to the old and creaking stairs in one of the castle's towers. Once the stairs got repaired, he had to find other inanimate objects to blame. The bruises and injuries didn't deter him from secretly going out of the castle again and again. His determination to learn how to fight and win in the streets of Solaris pushed him on.

 

After five years of being involved in dozens of fights and becoming a prized fighter in the underground comp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter