One

Sea of Love

Chapter 1

Yongguk wiped away the sweat that was dripping down his forehead. He had forgotten just how hot it could get in his hometown. It had been years since he was last here in the summer. The last time he had ventured to the small fishing island was two winters ago when his father passed away. His mother had passed away from illness years before when Yongguk was only 15. The passing of his father was much harder for him and his brother than it was when his mother had died. He had prepared himself for her death and made peace with it; but his father died unexpectedly.

Yongguk had moved to Seoul after he graduated high school to attend a university. After graduating from the university, he stayed to work for an entertainment company. He was a lyricist and producer, or at least he tried to be. He had soon learned that the industry he had wanted to work in wasn't for everyone; seeing a lot of his friends crack under the pressure was hard for him. He had known that there would be struggles for him to get where he wanted to be and he was ready for it. He dove into his work, head first, letting the business take over his life. He ate, slept and breathed work. He was so buried in work that he barely had time for his father and brother. What had hurt more when his father passed away was that he had promised him that he would find some time for him to go and visit his father; both men knew that it was a lie.

After his father's death, Yongguk took on more and more work so that he could keep his mind off of the false promise. He did it until he had burnt himself out. Everything in his life wasn't going the way he had planned. He needed to take a break to get his life back in order. His brother had suggested that he go back to the island and relax there.

Yongguk stopped in front of the tall wooden gate of his house. He ran his fingertips along the letters that read Bang. He took a deep breath before unlocking the gate and entering the place he had grew up in. The small house was just the way he and his brother had left it. The single story house was hidden behind the tall wooden gates that secluded it from anyone that would walk by. He set his luggage next to the front porch of the house, sat down on the steps and sighed.

'Maybe it wasn't a good idea to come here.' He thought as he ran his hand through his hair.

“Yongguk-ah?”

He looked up at the source of the voice. At the gate entrance stood a elderly woman who he recognized instantly. He stood back up and bowed at her. “Halmeoni.” He said to the elderly woman before smiling.

The elderly woman smiled at him. “I noticed the gate open. I wasn't expecting you to come.” She said as she walked into the yard.

“I'm sorry that I didn't notify you that I was coming.” Yongguk said.

She waved him off. “It's okay. You have every right to come back to your house whenever you want.”

“Thank you for watching over the house while Youngjae and I are not here.” He bowed to her again.

“Of course I'd watch over the house. Your aboji was a great man and good friend to my husband and I. And you boys have always been nice and polite. It's the least we could do after all these years of knowing your family.” She smiled at him.

“Thank you again.” He was grateful that the elderly couple next door volunteered to watch over the house. With him in Seoul working and with his younger brother Youngjae studying at the university in Busan, there was no one left to watch over their childhood home. Both he and Youngjae had agreed that no matter what, the house would stay within the family.

“How long are you planning on staying?” She asked him after noticing the amount of luggage Yongguk had brought with him.

Unlike the past times, Yongguk didn't pack lightly. He didn't know exactly how long he had planned on staying there. He started with packing the essentials that he would need for a week or so but without realizing it, he ended up with three suitcases.

“I'm not really sure.” He shrugged. “I decided to take a break from my hectic life in Seoul.”

“Well however long it is, I'm glad to see you back.” She smiled at him. “And I'm sure your parents are too.”

Yongguk smiled at her. He watched as she walked out of the yard and disappeared on the other side of the gate. He looked back at the house and sighed. He couldn't stay out in the yard the entire time he was here; sooner or later he needed to go into the house. He decided sooner was better than later.

He lugged the suitcases up the porch steps, unlocked the front door and let himself in. The house was just as he remembered leaving it after putting his father to rest. He rolled his luggage to his old bedroom. The posters that he had hung when he was a teenager still graced the walls. His bed made exactly the way he made it every morning. He opened one of the suitcases and pulled out his Tigger plushie. He placed it on top of the pillows before leaving his bedroom.

His attention was brought to his back pocket when his phone started to vibrate. “Hey Jae.” He said when he answered it.

Did you make it?” His younger brother asked him.

“Yeah I made it back home safely. So you don't have to worry anymore.” He said as he walked into the kitchen.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't back out or something.” Youngjae said.

“No I didn't back out.” Yongguk opened one of the cupboards and pulled out a glass to pour himself some water only to remember that their wasn't any filtered water and that were was nothing else to drink let alone eat. “I was about to head out to restock the fridge.”

Don't just stock up on ramen. Get real food hyung.”

Yongguk chuckled. “Yeh umma.” Despite being the younger one of the two, Youngjae always took it upon himself to take care of Yongguk. Ever since they were young, Youngjae was that way with him and their father.

Don't umma me. Knowing you, ramen and junk food is all that you'll eat. That's not a proper diet.”

“Alright I'll get actual food. Vegetables, fruits and meats. Happy?” Yongguk said as he grabbed his keys and walked out of the house.

Oh my god Daehyun can you stop?” Yongguk heard Youngjae say away from the phone, giggling.

“Remind that punk that I'll kick his if he breaks your heart.” Yongguk said to his younger brother. Youngjae started dating Daehyun the year he entered the university. Yongguk was wary at first about the relationship because to him, no one was worthy enough for his little brother but after meeting the Busan native, he could tell that Daehyun was completely head over heels for him. But despite that fact, Yongguk wouldn't hesitate to get back at Daehyun if he ever broke his brother's heart.

Oh he knows. He's still scared of you.” Youngjae laughed when a whine was heard from Daehyun.

“Good, he better be.” Yongguk stopped right in front of the gate, locking it. He turned around and took in the view of the ocean. The ocean was as blue and clear as he remembered it. He had always loved the fact that he could see the ocean from his house. “I'll talk to you later Jae?”

Tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow.”

******

Yongguk walked out to the front porch of his house. He had just finished storing away the food he just bought at the local grocery store. He breathed in the fresh ocean air, memories of his childhood rushing back to him. He had loved growing up in the small island. Everyone knew one another and was ready and willing to help whenever someone needed it. Everyone was kind, humble and hard working. It was peaceful here. It was like he was isolated from the busy world he now called home, Seoul.

But what he loved the most about growing up on the island was that he could swim in the ocean whenever he wanted; weather permitting.

The walk to the ocean was a short one from his house but it wasn't too short where he could say that the ocean is in his front yard. He walked out of his yard, making sure that he locked the gate behind him. He walked down the familiar path that lead to his favorite spot on the island. He knew this path like it was the back of his hand. He would walk down the path at least once every day he lived on the island.

A small smile spread across his face when he reached his destination. He stood in the middle of a small cove; the ocean just a few steps away from where he stood. He ran his hand along the tall rock next to him. Various rock formations stood around him, enough to seclude him from anyone's eyes. This was his favorite place on the island. The secluded cove was a good place for him to come and empty his mind. He would come here to get inspired. He would spend hours writing or drawing anything and everything that was in his mind. This was the place where he found his voice; where he realized that he had so much to say.

He took off his sandals, holding them in his hand as he walked on the hot sand. He walked over to the edge of the beach where the tide rushed in. He watched as the tide came in, stopping right before it touched his toes. He stood there, staring out at the ocean. He watched as the waves ripped throughout the clear blue water. The waves were calm enough that he knew he could swim in the water with ease.

He tossed his sandals to the side, far enough so that the tide couldn't get to them. He took off the sleeveless shirt he wore, revealing his tanned tattooed skin. He tossed the shirt back to where the sandals landed. He walked forward, letting his feet sink into the wet sand. The tide came in, surrounding his feet with the warm sea water. He waddled further into the sea. Once the water reached his waist he submerged his entire body into the salt water. When he came out of the water he ran his hand through his hair pulling it back from his face. He wiped the salt from his eyes before opening them.

He leaned back letting the water keep his body a float. He closed his eyes and smiled. The sun's rays felt good on his skin. He didn't know just how much he missed being in the water like this. It was exactly what he needed.

He stayed like that, not knowing that the sea was carrying him further from shore than he had planned. He didn't move until the waves started to pick up. He opened his eyes and moved so that he was now floating upright. His eyes widened when the shore was further away than he had expected it to be. He started to swim towards shore but the current pulled him further away. He turned to his side, remembering that swimming parallel to the shore would get him out of the rip current. He swam through a patch of seaweed only to have it wrap around his legs.

He stopped and turned back to try free his feet but was dragged down into the water when a strong wave cascaded on him. The seaweed tangled itself around his body making it hard for Yongguk to swim back up to the surface. He struggled to free himself only to be pulled down even more. He opened his mouth not being able to hold his breath anymore. Water started to fill his lungs. As much as he tried to free himself, he was going to drown. He managed to free his arms from the algae. He tried to swim upwards but the algae was still wrapped tightly around his legs. He reached down to try and free his legs. He gasped for air as his body begged for oxygen before slipping into unconsciousness.

Arms wrapped themselves around Yongguk's chest and with force, pulled him from the grasp of the seaweed. Yongguk's body resurfaced with the help of whoever pulled him from the algae and was dragged to shore. Yongguk coughed up the water that had filled up his lungs. He gasped for the precious air his lungs at begged for. He opened his eyes to see a man staring back at him. The man had fair porcelain skin, blue black hair, sharp eyes and jawline and perfect heart shaped lips; he was beautiful. His black eyes curiously looked back at Yongguk.

Yongguk's eyes widened when he noticed that the beautiful man had no legs. Instead of legs, the man had a long silver blue tail with a large fluke at the end of it was there instead. The male's eyes widened when he realized what Yongguk was looking at. He turned and with the help of the tide, he slipped back into the water.

“Wa-” Yongguk coughed, his lungs still trying to rid themselves of all the water. He propped himself up on his elbows and lifted his gae to look for him but all he could see was the waves of the sea and the tide rushing in. He tried to stand up on his feet hoping to get a better view. His eyes widened when the end of the silver blue tail that belonged to the beautiful male popped back out of the sea.

A cold shiver ran throughout Yongguk's body. He didn't know if it was because he had almost drowned that he was hallucinating or if what he saw was real. What he did know was that man was beautiful and that he needed to see him again.

 


Woooooooooooooooooooo!!!!  The first chapter is here!  

I hope it was worth the wait and that you liked it.  I know the chapter is short but I think that most of the chapters will be short.  Hopefully the second chapter isn't too long of a wait.

Please subscribe if you haven't, upvote and comment.

Til next time lovelies~