Final

Like a Butterfly


 There was nothing more beautiful than the seaside, according to Jungkook. He could sit on the rocks, a journal and pencil at his side to jot down ideas, and stare at the water all day. The Busan sea was always there for him when he was blocked with zero ideas as to what to write about. It inspired him so much and he was thankful for living in a wonderful city that allowed him to be close to such nature.

 

    As he was sitting by the seaside, enjoying the view as usual, he heard a voice. It was the voice of a girl. A voice he didn’t know. A voice that sounded foreign. A voice that had a thick country-like accent. However, for some reason it caused him to look her way out of some surreal yearning.

 

“Wah, this is so beautiful!”

Jungkook turned his head and saw a girl. She was too busy gazing at the sea to take notice of him looking at her. She was a petite, dark-haired girl. In her arms were painting supplies that she quickly set down in order to get a better look at the sea.

She must be a foreigner.’ Jungkook thought as he saw her close her eyes, intaking the smell of the sea he so called his paradise at home.

“I am so glad I came here on such a day,” she sort of whispered to herself, finally looking to the side. She saw Jungkook, sitting there, looking at her and she immediately bowed.
“Oh, was I too loud? I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I’ll be quiet from now on. You can just act as if I’m not here.”

The girl just smiled at him and went on with her own things. Jungkook wanted to turn away and continue enjoying the sea like he always did, but he couldn’t stop staring at the girl. He watched as she took out some paint brushes and water paint from a bag.

“Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Huh?”

The girl turned to look at him and just smiled.

“I see that you’re watching me from the corner of my eye, so I was just wondering if you need anything?” she asked, kind of boldly.

Jungkook shook his head, cowering away from her stoik statement.

“I’m Jieun, by the way.” she said, introducing herself. “You are?”

The boy was quiet, to which Jieun just laughed.

“You’re a shy little fella, huh? Well, anyway, it’s nice to meet you.”

She looked back down, getting out some sketch water-color proof papers. Then she looked up at the sky and the sea.

“You know,” she said. “You’re the first person I have talked to since I came to Busan… well, even if I’m doing all the talking.”

The girl looked to her side, smiling at Jungkook.

“You’re native to Busan, right?”

Jungkook nodded.

“I’m jealous,” she said, turning away once again. “I’ve always wanted to live in Busan. I’m from the country, you see.”

“The countryside?”

Jieun hummed a small yes and continued to look at the scenery before them, painting onto her blank paper.

“Back in the country there really isn’t anything to see besides grass and animals,” she said, in a tone so low Jungkook was lucky he could hear. “So that’s why I came here. It’s so beautiful and I’ve always wanted to come to the sea and paint it’s picturesque view.”

Jungkook just stared at Jieun. There was something in the way her eyes sparkled when she talked about the sea.

“But you must think it’s so dumb, right? You’ve lived here all your life so it’s just normal for you to come to the sea.”

The girl sighed, continuing to brush on her paper.

“So,” she spoke up. “Are you a writer or something?”

“What?” Jungkook asked, surprised as to how she knew. It’s not like he ever told her his name, let alone his hobbies.

She paused what she was doing and looked at him yet again. It was like the seventh time she’s turned to look at Jungkook and it was making him nervous as well as annoyed for some reason.

“You have a small journal-like thing and a pencil,” she said. “It was just a guess, no need to get all -hurt about it. If you aren’t one, simply tell me.”

Jungkook scrunched his face, disliking her wild bluntness and the way she said the things she did.

“Sorry,” she said again. “I don’t even know you and here I am talking to you like we’re best pals and all. Guess you can say I’m impolite or whatever because I grew up in the country-side.”

The girl let out a small breath of air, focusing back on her current work of art to be. She made quick--but careful-- on the paper, dipping the brush from paint to paint and wiping it away with water. It was so interesting how she did it so fast and still managed to paint so perfectly.


 

    A couple of silent minutes passed with only the sound of the waves crashing on shore and Jieun was finally finished with her painting. The entire time she was painting Jungkook was jotting down some ideas for his next short story, using the girl as inspiration.

 

“Done,” Jieun said. She turned to look at Jungkook for the first time in a while and smiled as she showed off her painting. “What do you think?”

Jungkook was surprised. The painting looked so realistic, capturing the sea’s beauty on a simple paper.

“What? Cats' got your tongue?” she laughed.

“No,” Jungkook tsk-ed. “It’s just…”

Jieun’s eyes rounded with curiosity.

“It’s kind of ugly…” Jungkook joked, causing the girl to pout. “I mean, it’s okay.”

“Just okay?” Jieun asked, emphasising the word ‘okay’. “I want to see you do better!”

Jungkook laughed, “I can do so much better.”

“Sure,” the girl said as she shifted back into her previous position, putting her painting down and looking back at the sea.

Jungkook just smiled at her. He could tell she got kind of annoyed at how he didn’t really compliment her painting, but that made it even more funny. He liked how her face scrunched up, feeling somewhat defeated. It was kind of cute.

“You know I was just kidding, right?” Jungkook asked.

Jieun looked at him.

“You’re really good…” he said, “at drawing and all.”

“Thank you…”

“Jungkook,” the said boy pronounced his name, finally. “My name’s Jungkook.”

Jieun smiled, “Thank you, Jungkook.”

“No problem,” Jungkook said as he stood up from his sitting position.

“Are you leaving?” Jieun asked, looking up at his standing figure and saw him nod. “Will… I ever see you again? I mean, you know, so you can show me how much better you can paint.”

Jungkook chuckled.

“I don’t know,” he said. “But… if you come here often, then probably yes.”

Jieun quickly stood up, walking towards him as she extended her hand while Jungkook just gave her a queer look.

“It was nice talking to you,” she smiled. “I know we’ll meet again, Jungkook.”

“It was nice talking to you too, Jieun.” Jungkook said. “Bye.”

With that said, the boy shook her hand and headed off his own way. There was something that called to him, deep down inside, to not leave but he did so anyway. He didn’t even bother to turn around.


 

    Days and weeks went by and Jungkook would always go to the sea, somehow hoping to see Jieun who was nowhere to be found. The more he went, the more he yearned for her and it was deeply killing him on the inside. He didn’t know why he wanted to see her, well, actually he did. He wanted to show her his latest painting. It wasn’t the best, because he wasn’t an artist, but it was good enough.

 

“You really like the sea, huh?”

Jungkook rapidly turned around to the sound of that voice. The voice which was once foreign and was now fully engraved in his mind.

“Jieun?” he asked, unknowingly smiling when he saw her behind him.

The said girl grinned.

“I knew we’d meet again,” she said as she walked over towards him. She stopped once she reached him and held out her hand again, just like last time when they said their goodbyes. “Jungkook.”

“I told you that if you came here often we’d meet eventually.” Jungkook said, taking her extended hand in his.

Jieun nodded. She then let go of his hand and sat down, to which Jungkook did the same.

“Did… you come before?” the boy asked first.

“No,” the girl bluntly replied. “I’ve been busy with… things.”

Jungkook felt his heart drop a little. There she was, answering so bluntly like before. It bugged him, really.

“Oh, I see,” he said. “Well, remember how you asked if I could paint better than you?”

Jieun smiled, “Hmm.”

“Look,” Jungkook grinned, taking out a small paper from his journal. “I was writing about yo- Uh, things. I was writing about things when I remembered how you thought I wasn’t a better painter than you and so… here.”

He handed her over the paper and the girl’s eyes widened.

“Is this…” she drifted off. “Me?”

Jungkook nodded, ruffling his hair.

“I’m not even a painter, but you got to admit that I made you justice. You look good.”

Jieun looked at him, eyes still wide.

“On the painting, I mean.” Jungkook quickly corrected himself.

“Wow,” she tsk-ed. “So I’m not good-looking in person? Is that what you’re saying?”

Jungkook flushed red.

“No, I-” Jungkook was embarrassed. “That’s not what I was saying!”

Jieun laughed at Jungkook. He looked so cute with his flushed face and hands waving frantically before him as he tried to apologize.

“I know, I know,” she said patting his back. “You… did good. Not as good as me, ya know, but yeah… It’s okay.”

“Okay? Just okay?” Jungkook asked. “Is this payback from last time?”

Jieun just shrugged as she puckered her lips.

“Of course not,” she said.


 

    The two sat side by side for a while, talking about random things and catching up on things such as what they’ve been doing since they last met--even if it was the first time they had met.

 

“Are you serious?” Jungkook asked, surprised at what Jieun just told him. “You’re working for the art museum here in Busan?”

The girl nodded.

“Yes!”

“How?” Jungkook asked.

Jieun shrugged.

“I don’t even know. I was visiting the museum and taking pictures and all when some guy came and asked me if I wanted to work there and bam.”

“Wah,” Jungkook aw-ed. “Talk about luck.”

Jieun agreed.

“Right? But anyway, what about you?” she asked.

“What about me?”

“What have you been up to?”

Jungkook sighed, letting out a huge breath.

“I’ve just… been thinking.”

Jieun cocked her head to the side, “Huh?”

“Do you ever… miss someone a lot and end up thinking a lot and it just…”

Jungkook’s sentence drifted off.

“It hurts… a lot,” he finished.

Jieun was staring at him. His facial expression had changed a lot since he started talking. All she could see in his eyes was sadness.

“Jungkook, are you okay?” she asked, concerned.

The said boy sadly smiled.

“I’m far from it…” he whispered. “But… I’ll be okay. Don’t worry, I’m fine.”

Jieun put a hand on his and slowly caressed it.

“I know we don’t know much about each other besides our names and that, but I want you to know that I’ll be here for you.” she said, causing the boy to freeze up. “It’s always good to vent to someone, especially if you hardly even know them because they won’t be able to tell anyone your secrets.”

Jungkook sat still, feeling her warm hand on his and hearing her soothing voice.

“Just think of me as your secret box,” Jieun said. “You can tell me anything you want and I’ll keep it in here.”

Jungkook looked at her, watching her pat her chest.

“In my heart.” she whispered. “But, you do know that robbing someone of their smile doesn’t make you happy…”

“I really needed to hear those words,” the boy said in a low tone. “I haven’t told you much about my life and yet, here you are giving me your shoulder to lean on and an ear for me to vent. No one has done that before…”

Jieun patted his back.

“Then you’ve been hanging with the wrong people, Jungkook. They shouldn’t let you fake happiness everyday, holding in the sadness that will later eat you up.”

Jungkook tensed up at those words.

“Who are your friends, huh? Tell me who they are so I can go and tell them what horrible friends they are-”

“They’re gone…”

Jieun stopped talking, eyes widening as she turned to look at the boy.

“H-Huh?”

“My friends…” Jungkook whispered, his hands curling into fists. “They died last year.”

“I’m… I didn’t know,” Jieun said, sympathetically. “I’m so sorry.”

Jungkook looked up at the sky. The sun was starting to set and the memories of his two best friends were running through his mind, blinding his train of thought and engulfing him entirely.

“Do you… have time?” Jungkook asked.

Jieun looked into his eyes that had suddenly turned cold, but nodded nonetheless.

“We were like the three musketeers. We were always together, messing around and getting in trouble. There was not a single day we wouldn’t see one another.” Jungkook stated, still looking at the sky. “I still can’t believe it…”

The girl payed close attention to the boy. He was pouring his deepest, most darkest, secret out to her and she wouldn’t let him down. She told him he could trust her and she was going to keep her word.

 




    It was a rainy Sunday morning. It had rained for three days straight, not allowing anyone to do much with their days besides staying home. Jungkook and his two friends, Jimin and Hoseok, had planned to go to the amusement park in Seoul since weeks ago, but the weather wasn’t exactly on their side.

 

“But you guys promised we’d go!” Jungkook whined. He was laying on the living room floor as his two friends, Jimin and Hoseok, sat on the couch playing video games.

“It’s raining, Kookie.” Hoseok said, his eyes on the television. “We’ll go next Sunday.”

Jimin nodded along to his other friend, “Yeah, what Hobi said.”

“But, guys!” Jungkook whined again. He was the youngest of the three therefore he had a reason to throw tantrums. “It’s not fair! We had this planned weeks ago! You guys can’t just cancel the plans last minute!”

Hoseok sighed, pausing the game as he ran a hand through his straight black hair.

“Can you stop whining like a little kid, Jungkook? You’re old enough to know that no means no.”

Jimin agreed.

“Besides, it’s not like we knew what the weather was going to be like.” he said.

Jungkook groaned.

“But it’s not even raining that much!” he countered, still acting like a spoiled brat. “It’s just… not fair.”

“Stop acting like a little kid,” Hoseok hummed. “It’s not like we won’t ever be able to go to Seoul. It doesn’t have to be today.”

Jimin looked down at Jungkook who simply pouted. He was starting to give in to the younger boy and he hated it.

“Hoseok,” Jimin called to the elder one, giving him a look.

The said boy shook his head.

Oh no, not you too.” Hoseok gave the two boys a stern look. “Jimin, no, don’t side with him.”

“Come on, don’t be like that.” Jimin said.

Jungkook was looking at both of them. He was really glad that Jimin was siding with him. It was just a matter of time for Hoseok to give in as well.

“Please!” the youngest one pleaded. “See, Jimin also agrees!”

Hoseok stirred. He wanted to look away and ignore them, but he knew that wasn’t possible. It was a losing situation to try to go against Jungkook’s will.

“Fine,” he surrendered.

Jungkook jumped up, “Really?”

“Yes, really,” Hoseok said. “Now hurry and get everything ready or else we aren’t going.”

“Woo!” Jungkook cheered.

 

    After getting all their things that were pre-packed the three boys headed out. Hoseok, who was the oldest, was driving his dad’s van while Jimin was in the passenger’s seat. Jungkook, as the youngest, was in the back seat with all the things they packed. He was smiling from ear to ear, even though the weather wasn’t all so happy.

 

“Everything set?” Hoseok asked.

Jungkook nodded, “Ready!”

“You sure you don’t have to go to the bathroom because I am most definitely not stopping on the road.”

“Tell that to Jimin! He has the bladder of a tiny duck or something!” Jungkook countered, laughing.

Jimin scowled.

“You know he’s playing around,” Hoseok grinned. “So, that’s it. We’re off!”

Jungkook clapped his hands, grinning like a little kid who has just gotten his favorite candy.

 

    Once they reached the highway, which they had to take if they wanted to get to Seoul fast, the rain started to fall even faster. It was pouring so much that the windshields on the van weren’t working so well. Jungkook, who was in the back seat, had his headphones in as he closed his eyes. He was blind to the trouble they were getting in; the trouble his own whining caused.

 

“Should we, maybe, stop?” Jimin asked, looking at Hoseok. “Just until the rain stops…”

Hoseok looked into the rearview mirror, eyeing Jungkook who had a small smile on his face as he listened to whatever song he was listening to. He knew the younger one was excited about going to the amusement park and he didn’t want to upset him by stopping to rest.

“It’s fine,” Hoseok brushed the other’s comment away. “Kookie is really excited and I just want him to be happy. The faster we get there, the happier he’ll be.”

Jimin pursed his lips, “You sure?”

“Besides,” Hoseok continued. “It’s just a little rain. What’s the worst that could happen?”


 

And, as if on cue, the spirits of bad luck appeared. It all happened so fast, even Jungkook who had his eyes closed suddenly saw his life flash through his eyes. He could even hear his two friend's screams through the music that was playing through his headphones.

 

“Jimin! Hoseok!” he yelled, but to no avail because before he knew it they had already crashed against an oncoming trailer truck.


 

The next thing he knew he was laying on the street as the rain fell on him. He panicked, replaying the scene in his mind, and searched for his two friends.

“Guys,” he called, trying to lift himself up. His whole body hurt and he felt a little bit of blood trickling on his face--that or it was the rain, but he paid it no attention either way. “Jimin, Hoseok!” he called once again.

He stood up, even though he was in pain, and looked over at the vehicle he was just in minutes before. It was a total wreck and he felt his heart start to sink.

“Please,” he cried. “Please be okay…”

With tears in his eyes he walked over to the van, his eyes searching every section possible for any sight of his best friends.

“G-Guys, w-where are yo-”

The boy was in the middle of his question when he saw them--his two friends. They were strapped in their seats, upside down, and bleeding.

“J-Jimin, Hoseok, n-no!” he yelled, running towards them. He tried to reach in to what was left of the van. “Please, no.”

He caught ahold of Hoseok’s shoulder and shook him.

“Hobi,” he cried. “I’m… I didn’t want this to happen. I… I’m sorry. Please, don’t go.”

Then, he ran to the other side, also shaking the other boy.

“Jimin, I’m sorry. Jimin, please don’t go.” he cried, finally letting himself fall on the ground from the impact of the situation.

“This can’t be real….” he shook his head, scrunching into a small ball of pain. “Don’t disappear, please… Promise me you won’t go. Stay with me, guys. I’m scared, so scared...”

The youngest boy cried and cried, but it was useless. No matter what he did or said, there was no bringing them back. There was no way he could undo his mistake. The mistake he’d have to cope with for the rest of his life. The mistake that will eat him up, suffocating him and not letting him live peacefully. The mistake he is the culprit of; the death of his two best friends.

 



 

    Telling his tragic story to someone, even if it was a stranger, cleared Jungkook’s chest immensely that he was in tears. He’d never told anyone before, even though the thoughts ate him up constantly. He thought that was the only way he’d be punished for killing two of the people he most loved. It was the only way he, a murderer, would pay for his bad doings.

 

“Oh my, Jungkook,” Jieun said, wrapping her arms around the other as he tried to hold in his tears. “I had no idea you lived with such demons.”

Jungkook stuttered, “D-Demons?”

“Mmm,” the girl hummed. “The demons you have in your mind are 100 times worse than any living or spiritual being of any kind. The demons in your mind don’t only hurt you physically, but psychologically wear and tear you out; they scar you emotionally…”

Jungkook pulled away from the girl.

“I deserve it though! I killed them!” he yelled. “I killed my friends! I am a murderer!”

“No, no,” Jieun countered, just as equally frustrated as the boy. “You didn’t kill them. You’re not a murderer. And you certainly do not deserve to beat yourself up for that, Jungkook.”

The male shook his head. He didn’t want to accept her words; he couldn’t. It wouldn’t be fair for his friends.

“I-If I didn’t whine about wanting to go…” he drifted off. “It’s all my fault! I kept whining even though they constantly told me that no meant no… If only I didn’t want to go.”

Jieun patted the boy’s back, rubbing it afterwards.

“If I could go back in time I would… I-” he choked on his words, letting out a small cry. “I didn’t even get to apologize, tell them I loved them… or even say goodbye.”

Jieun felt herself shake. She watched as the male sobbed his heart out and she wanted to do the same, but she knew it wouldn’t help him in the least.

“Jungkook,” she called out, thinking of how to word what she wanted to say. “From what I’ve heard I want you to know that you’re not a murderer. No one knew what was going to happen. You didn’t know the windshields were going to fail halfway. You didn’t know a trailer truck was going to be on your side of the road… You see, what I’m trying to say is that it was no one’s fault. They eventually did a thorough investigation on the accident, right?”

Jungkook nodded.

“And?” she asked. “What did the court rule?”

Jungkook looked at his hands, “The truck driver was… drunk and lacking sleep.”

“See,” Jieun told him. “If you were, in any way, guilty then they would’ve charged you as guilty. You, Jungkook, aren’t a murderer and I, Jieun, can guarantee that.”

“Why do you say that?”

The girl simply smiled and pointed at the sky, to which Jungkook looked up.

“You see that?” she asked.

“The sky?”

She shook her head, reaching her hand out even further.

“That,” she said, looking at the small creature.

Jungkook’s brows furrowed, “The butterfly?”

“Yeah,” Jieun agreed. “You’re like a butterfly.”

Jungkook was lost.

“You’re wondering why, huh?” the girl said, beating him to his own question. “Just… promise me you won’t find this weird in anyway, okay?”

The boy nodded, unsure.

“I’m usually very… how do you say it? Outspoken?” she started. “However, ever since I met you last time I noticed how scared I was.”

“Scared?”

Jieun nodded.

“Let me finish, will you? Don’t say a word and just let me speak. I need to get this out of here,” she pounded her chest. “Ever since you left I was scared… I was scared of not ever seeing you again. I was scared of seeing you again and not knowing what to do or say. You’re so… fragile. I’m from the country hence why I’m so brute and tactless, but you… You’re like a butterfly. I’m scared of touching you because you might break or fly off… I’m scared.”

Jungkook watched as the girl reached out to him and he froze, suddenly feeling immobile.

“But, now,” she started. “I want to help you. I need to help you.”

Help me?” Jungkook asked.

Jieun nodded.

“When someone is sick they usually go to the hospital and treat their sickness, right?”

Jungkook nodded.

“Same with mental illnesses. You have to get it treated… not at a hospital, though, but with a therapist. Would you… let me? Would you let me help you?” she asked.

The boy looked down at their touching hands, allowing himself to breathe. He wasn’t fully sure, but he knew he did want to get help. He needed to get rid of those demons, or at least make them calm down for a bit. And, when he was with Jieun, they did.

“I…” he trailed off. “I want to get better. I really do… but will you be there the whole way?”

Jieun, caught off guard, was taken aback.

“What?” she asked.

“Will you be there even when I want to give up? Even when I want to throw the whole therapy away and I continue to beat myself up and-”

“I’ll be there, Jungkook.” Jieun said, cutting the panicking boy off. “We might be strangers, but not after this… I promise.”

Jungkook lifted his hand, separating it from hers as he held it out towards her.

“Is it true? Will you stay with me?” he asked. “Promise?”

“I promise,” the girl said, taking his offered promise-sealed hand into hers.

Jungkook smiled halfway.

“Thank you, Jieun.” he said. “I want to be like a real butterfly and fly, spreading my wings without worries. I don’t want to be stuck to my own demons… I want to survive; to live.”

Jieun smiled, “You will.”

If I have you by my side… yeah,’ Jungkook thought, looking at the girl before him as he weakly smiled.


 

    Weeks passed and Jungkook was getting healthier the more he went to therapy. Everything was going good for him. He didn’t know if it was the therapy or maybe the fact that he had someone there for him along the way--that someone being Jieun. It didn’t take long for them to become close--inseparable almost. They would always be together, whether it was at Jungkook’s therapy sessions or at the museum in Busan; it was always them, because they were all they had.

 

“Do you think that Jimin and Hoseok are happy because I’m happy?” Jungkook suddenly asked. He was at the museum, accompanying Jieun as she worked her shift. It was always like that. He’d always be there, making her company and just talking to keep her unbored.

Jieun looked to her side, facing the boy who wasn’t looking at her but at the paintings displayed on the walls.

“What if… they’re mad and I really don’t deserve to get better? What if-”

“Jungkook,” Jieun called the boy’s name. “You deserve to be happy. You deserve to get better. You deserve that and so much more. We’ve already talked about this. Don’t let those demons haunt you again. You can, and will, win against them.”

“But-”

“Do you think your friends would want you to suffer?” Jieun asked.

Jungkook shook his head.

“Tell me,” she started again. “If, let’s say, you were the one who passed away on that day… would you want them to feel like the culprits? Would you want them to live trapped in a cage of their own soul and body, full of self-hate?”

The boy was quiet, the sudden question leaving him temporarily shocked.

“You wouldn’t, would you?” Jieun asked again.

Jungkook shook his head, “No.”

“See,” she smiled at him. “There’s no need to go back to those thoughts. I’m sure that Jimin and Hoseok, even though I didn’t get to meet them, would want you to be happy.”

“You’re right…” Jungkook agreed. “I… thank you, Jieun… for always being there for me when I’m down and when my thoughts try to take over my whole body.”

Jieun flushed a little.

“Ah, it’s nothing.” she said, shyly. She was going to continue talking, but a person came and asked for directions to a specific painting and she had to go and direct them.

Jungkook just watched her until she disappeared from his sight, smiling to himself. He was immensely glad he had someone like Jieun by his side.


 

After Jieun’s shift at the museum and many, many interruptions from people asking for directions and such, the two friends went to a nearby gas station to get something to eat and then headed to their favorite spot: the sea. They spent the rest of the day talking, laughing, and playing around with the water. It wasn’t until Jieun received a call on her phone that they stopped.

 

“Yes, hello?” Jieun said as she answered the phone. “Oh, really? Are you serious?”

Jungkook’s ears perked up, looking at the enthusiastic girl.

Who is she even talking to?’ he asked himself. ‘Why is she smiling like that? She’s never smiled like that with me…

“Thank you so, so much. I’m just- yes, yes, I’ll be sure to take it tomorrow!” she frantically said, smiling from ear to ear. “Goodbye, yes, and again thank you! I really, really appreciate it!”

Smiling, she hung up the phone and looked at Jungkook with gleaming eyes.

“What?” he asked, kind of annoyed--jealous, even.

Jieun pouted.

“Why do you say it like that?” she asked, kind of hurt.

“Who was it?” he asked, ignoring her question.

Jieun scoffed, “Someone.”

“Fine, if you don’t want to tell me that’s good. Be like that.”

“Jungkook, why are you being like that?” Jieun asked. She was confused as to why the male was acting the way he was. He seemed like a little kid.

The boy shrugged, but didn’t answer.

“You know what,” Jieun said, backing away from the other. “If you’re going to be like that then I think we should go on our own way for today. I just received really good news and I don’t want anyone, not even you to ruin it. This is something I thought you’d be happy for me… it’s very important.”

Jungkook reached out to her, but the girl pulled away from his touch.

“No, Jungkook,” she shook her head. “I… I have to go.”

And with that she turned around and headed her way while Jungkook watched her go. He didn’t know why, but his heart was sinking the further she was away from him. It was suffocating him.

“P-Please, don’t go.” he called out to her, but she was long gone and there was nothing to do. He could feel his bad thoughts taking over his mind and it was scaring him. He hadn’t had bad thoughts in a long time.

“I’m scared,” he whispered to himself as he sat down on the sand. He shook his head, trying to get the thoughts out but it was impossible. It was only a matter of time for him to fall into a recession, but before that could happen the smiling face of Jieun came into his mind and blurred out every other thought--even the bad ones. It was then that Jungkook remembered all her encouraging words, leading the bad thoughts away. And at that moment he knew that he couldn’t lose her. He’d come so far with her by his side. He needed her.



 

    The next day came around and Jungkook woke up really early. He left his house and headed to the museum where he knew he’d see Jieun. He wanted to apologize and tell her that she was his medicine; that he needed her. As he walked he came across a flower stand and decided to buy some pink roses. Then, with no time to waste, he made his way to the Busan museum.

 

“Oh, Jungkook,” one of the workers called out to him. “Are those roses for Jieun?”

The boy looked down at his bouquet and nodded with a shy smile.

“Mmm.”

“You must be happy, huh? The painting it really good. She did such a good job! I’m envious, though. I wish she had painted me.” the worker said, sighing.

Jungkook cocked his head to the side.

“What are you talking about?” he asked.

The worker’s eyes widened, amused.

“Don’t tell me you didn’t know?”

“Know what?” Jungkook asked.

“Jieun’s painting was chosen to be put up in the museum and it’s a painting of-”

“What?” Jungkook asked, not even allowing the worker to continue. “Her painting? When?”

The worker shrugged, “I just heard this morning, but I guess they called her yesterday.”

“Yesterday?” the boy mumbled to himself. He then remembered the sudden call she got yesterday and how happy she was. “God, I’m so stupid!”

“But I thought she had already told yo- What, why do you say that?” the worker asked, confused as to why the boy was insulting himself.

“Nevermind, I just- I have to go find Jieun,” Jungkook said, quickly running past the worker. “Jieun! Jieun!” he called. He was inside the museum, head shifting in every direction as he searched for the figure he knew oh-so-well. “Jieu-”

“Jungkook?” the voice that was forever engraved in his mind and soul asked. “What are you doing here? If you’re going to talk about yesterday I-”

“Jieun I want to apologize, really,” the boy cut her off mid-sentence as he ran towards her. She was just a few steps away from her, therefore he was in front of her in less than four seconds. “I was being so childish yesterday and I am sorry.”

“Jungkook, I-,” she countered, but lost the words that she was going to say when the boy knelt down, bringing the bouquet of roses in front of him.

“Will you… forgive me?”

Jieun, shocked, looked straight into his eyes with uncertainty.

“I was wrong. I let my… jealousy get the best of me and I didn’t even wait for you to explain.” Jungkook sounded sincere that Jieun was on the verge of giving in.

“Jungkook,” she let a smile adorn her face. “I couldn’t stay mad at you. I don’t know what you mean at times and why you act the way you do… but I do know that you mean well.”

“So… is that a yes?” he asked, wincing as if he was in pain. “Please?”

Jieun nodded, “Yes. You are forgiven.” She laughed because as soon as she spoke she was engulfed in a tight bear hug.

“Also,” Jungkook whispered into her ear while he rested his chin on her shoulder. “Congrats on getting your painting up.”

Jieun gasped, “How did yo-”

“I heard it from the worker outside. I’m sorry you couldn’t tell me properly.” he said, pulling away from her.

“So you don’t know what the painting is about, right?”

Shaking his head, Jungkook shrugged.

“No.”

Jieun grinned, taking the chance to show him her first painting that was accepted to the Busan museum. She started running--one hand holding the bouquet of flowers as the other one was holding onto Jungkook’s hand--ignoring any watching eyes. All she wanted was to show him her painting, because she knew he would love it and his opinion mattered the most; he mattered most.

 

    As soon as they reached their destination Jieun let go of his hand, got behind him, and pushed him towards the painting. She wanted him to fully absorb the painting.

 

“Jieun… did you…”

“You like it?” the said girl asked, poking her head as to look at the boy who was still in shock.

“How did you do this? Since when?”

Jieun looked at the painting. It was a painting of Jungkook and his two friends, Jimin and Hoseok. The two boys who had passed away were depicted as angels while Jungkook was drawn so realistically beautiful, sitting near the sea. It was a very touching painting for Jungkook, hence why he was so surprised.

“Well, at first, I had only painted you sitting near the sea, because I started this painting when I got home the same day we encountered for the first time. I thought it was complete and all, but when I saw you again and you told me your story and showed me the pictures of you and your friends together… I don’t know, there was just something inside me that inspired me to draw them as well.”

Jungkook wasn’t looking at her, as he was too busy gazing at the painting. It was so beautifully depicted and he greatly appreciated it.

“I was going to keep it, originally, but my boss saw me finishing up the painting at work one day and liked it so much he offered me to put it up… I was so psyched, not only because my work would get noticed but, also, because your story would be heard.”

“My… story?” Jungkoook asked.

“Mm,” Jieun hummed, walking towards the painting. She pointed to a small writing under it. “It’s a small blurb about the painting. It took  a lot of time to come up with, because I wanted everyone to know your story and since it was so short I couldn’t entirely tell your whole story.”

Jungkook scooted up closer, eyeing the small passage underneath Jieun’s masterpiece.

 

Like a Butterfly: The boy was always by the sea. To others it appeared as nothing was wrong and that he simply enjoyed watching the sea, but that wasn’t really the case. In reality he was struggling with demons--the demons of his thoughts--that hurt him and trapped him in silence and self-fault over the death of his two friends whom he cared for. He was like a butterfly with injured wings--the wings being his soul and mind--who was scared of flying in the rain. But, little did he know that anything was possible and all he needed was a new reason. A new reason to spread his injured wings and continue to fly--to live--like a butterfly.

 

“Did I do a good job at wording it?” she asked when she was sure the boy was finished reading. “I’m not a writer like you, but I tried… just like you tried to paint.”

Jungkook quickly took ahold of her shoulders, making her turn towards him and look him straight in the eye.

“Jungkook…” she called his name, eyes round like saucers, confused.

“Shh,” he slurred, putting a finger on her lips to stop her from uttering another word. “This time it’s my turn. Don’t say a word and just listen, okay?” He let out a huge breath of air before he continued. “I’ve been wanting to confess for a while now and I wasn’t sure when I would gather the confidence to do so, but now, after seeing this,” he said, pointing at her painting of him and his two friends. “I have decided that now’s the time. So, what do you say? Will you… fly away with me?”

The boy didn’t even have to wait for long because, even before he could hear anything, he soon felt her arms wrap around his shoulders.

“Do I even have to answer that?” she sarcastically asked, smiling. “Of course I’ll fly with you. I promised I’d always be by your side, didn’t I?”

Jungkook grinned, infatuated by the words his ears heard.

“Thank you, Jieun.”

“No,” she countered. “Thank you, Jungkook.”

The said boy just smiled, “Yeah, you should be grateful you have me.”

“Oh my,” she laughed at him. “Your alter-ego is showing!”

Jungkook wrapped his arms around her hips, pulling her in and grinning at her with teasing eyes.

“I know it’s really soon to say it and I don’t want you to feel burdened, but I love you.” he told her.

Jieun rested her face on his chest. She could smell his lilac scented body-wash that lingered on his clothes and couldn’t help but plaster a gentle smile on her face.

“It’s not a burden, Kookie,” she flushed at the name she called him.

“Kookie?” he smiled, leaning away from her so he could see her face clearly. However, it was hard because she hugged him even tighter as to not allow him to see her blushing. “I thought it was cute! I like it!”

Jieun murmured something into his chest.

“What did you say?” he asked.

She pulled away from his chest, allowing herself to breathe and for Jungkook to see her light pink face.

“Kookie,” she whispered shyly.

Jungkook smiled so bright at the sound of her voice calling his nickname.

“I’m scared,” he said, caressing her face with his hands. “I’m scared that I might be dreaming. It’s just that this feels so surreal… When this time passes would this become nothing? Will you forget me?”

The girl looked straight into his eyes. She was waiting for him to lean in, but it seemed like he was scared and wouldn’t do it so she took the first step and pressed her lips against his. They fit perfectly, like a missing puzzle piece. They continued to kiss, yearning for each other, until they ran out of breath.

“What do you mean?” she asked as she pulled away. “You know I won’t leave. I’ve made up my heart and it wants you. I want to fly with you, my beautiful butterfly.”

Jungkook pulled the girl in for another kiss and then fully embraced her, resting his chin on her head as her face was plastered against his chest.

“Butterflies can’t see their wings and they aren’t aware of how beautiful they really are… but everyone else can and now, with you, I think I can finally see the true beauty in life.”

Jieun nuzzled into his chest and that was all Jungkook needed. Nothing could be more blissful than that moment, holding her in his arms with so much affection. They could finally fly off together, without worries, like two beautiful butterflies.

 
 
 
Don't forget to comment and upvote if you liked ! :-')