Sugar Rush

Automatic

A/N: Thank you for your patience everyone! Here is chapter one. Also...I'm starting another Taemi story based off the popular app, Tinder. It'll be funny but also quite angsty. Look forward to it!!! Anyway, enjoy this first part.

---

Freshman year.

Sunmi had heard a lot of horror stories from her unnies.

Yubin would tell her about all of the sudden, crazy and overwhelming parties that you would just get dragged into if you weren’t careful. She told her about all of the vomiting girls and the sneaking in of guys from the other side of campus. But at least, apparently, the catering was always good. The booze was always plentiful but cheap, so she suggested you brought your own. Sunmi didn’t like the burning taste of alcohol, so she ignored that last piece of advice.

Yeeun told her about the huge variety of professors on her campus. How for one class, you can get an amazing, passionate professor who actually knew what she was talking about while for another class, you got some loud, obnoxious professor who could never stay on topic and would never give you notes that corresponded to her exams. She told her about the insane amount of work you would get and how in order to get the best marks you needed to shut yourself out from the outside world. Sunmi liked staying indoors for the most part, so that didn’t sound too bad.

And then there was Sunye who told her about how easy it was to get lost on such a vast expanse of land and how girls would either gang up on you to bully you for fun or force you to hang out with them. She told her about the infamous women on campus who you should stay away from and the best routes to take if you didn’t want to get trampled between classes. She also gave her pepper spray, in case of a surprise appearance from a stubborn boy.

To put it plainly, it looked like university life was not going to be easy.

But that didn’t stop Sunmi from hoping for the best.

Day one of orientation. Sunmi was looking forward to the day’s events, but that didn’t stop her from groaning at the sound of her alarm going off. She rolls over and opens her eyes ever so slowly to stare at her phone.

“Turn it off already!” Sohee yells from her side of the room.

Sunmi waits to see if Lim will speak up as well, but to her surprise, the girl’s bed is empty. And to prevent the wrath of Sohee, she turns off the noisy phone and sighs.

“You have to get up too,” Sunmi mumbles as she wipes the sleep from her eyes. All of them had to get ready for their long awaited orientation.

Sohee doesn’t move from her bundle of blankets and Sunmi just chuckles to herself, feeling energy just from the typical behaviour of her roommate.

The door swings open and another sensation causes Sunmi to wake up just a little more.

“You girls want breakfast?” Lim offers, a spatula in her hands and what Sunmi can only imagine to be pancake batter all over her face.

Sunmi had only met Lim yesterday when she moved into the dorm but she likes the girl already. She was very shy when they first exchanged words, but Lim seemed to appreciate Sunmi’s sense of humour and didn’t mind the awkward moments here and there. Sohee never really liked noisy people anyway, so this worked out for both of them.

“You can make pancakes?” Sunmi asks curiously, admiring the effort on Lim’s part and the delicious smell in the air.

“I just learned before coming here,” she chuckles before giving Sunmi a brilliant eye smile. “My mom told me that I needed to learn how to cook a few things before living in dorms.”

Sunmi rubbed her chin in thought before nodding her head, “You’re right! Dang, I should have thought about that. All I know how to cook is instant food and rice.”

Sunmi honestly looks distressed as she thinks about all of her cooking failures in the past and Lim just giggles before speaking up again.

“I’m gonna go shower first. You guys should go ahead and eat, okay?” And with that she exits their shared room with a towel in hand.

Sunmi gets out of her sitting position and begins to stretch. A new day, a new start, a bunch of possibilities lying before her.

And yet, her best friend is still snoring and is very content with delaying that morning.

“Sohee-yah!!” she yells, throwing her pillow at the sleeping girl. “We have to be on campus in less than an hour!”

Inhuman, almost demonic like groans come from the bundle of blankets on Sohee’s bed and Sunmi decides that that’s her cue to run to the kitchen and feast on delicious pancakes.

---

“They were a little under cooked,” Sohee says bluntly as the three girls make their way to campus.

“Oh, really?” Lim says with a sigh, “I guess I still have a lot of work to do.”

Sunmi shoots a glare at Sohee for being so blunt. “I still thought they were delicious!” She elbows the younger girl for extra effect and she just smiles at her before rolling her eyes.

“It’s good to be honest,” Sohee comments with a firm nod.

“Don’t worry, Sunmi,” Lim replies with a toothy smile, “I agree with Sohee completely. I don’t mind criticisms here and there.”

Sunmi pouts, thinking that she’d be the hero for defending Lim’s honour. And Lim finds the expression so cute that she just hugs the girl from her side.

The three girls continue to chat about their morning as they come closer and closer to the campus. They are about a fifteen minute walk from campus, but only after about five minutes they already started hearing the screams and cries from the orientation leaders and the more or less enthusiastic new students.

“Sounds like everyone’s having fun,” Sunmi mutters to herself as she grabs the hands of her roommates on instinct as they enter waves of freshmen.

“Stick together guys,” Lim says firmly as she takes in her surroundings.

---

Due to fate, Sunmi doesn’t get to experience her entire orientation with her room mates. She pouts as she waits awkwardly under her designated number, hoping that she at least got one of her unnies as a mentor. Sunye, Yeeun and Yubin were all excited to be leaders this year, waiting so long for the opportunity since their own orientation. They told her it was unlikely she’d get one of them, all things considered, but Sunmi couldn’t help but hope. It would just make the day perfect.

And she was nervous, so nervous that she felt like puking. She was always worried about first impressions and she was shamefully so shy when meeting new people, especially alone. She had hoped that maybe the group would be bigger so she could blend into the back, alas the mentorship program this year would be a lot more intimate.

The campus was fairly large and so the population mimicked it. Luckily, there were enough seniors interested in helping the clueless freshmen that instead of having one orientation leader and several students, there would only be two freshmen to a leader. Sunmi shuddered at the possibility that her partner could be the complete opposite of her, at the possibility that her leader was one of those creeper women who hit on the freshmen, as Yubin had warned her.

All the different possibilities and scenarios ran through her head, her palms getting sweaty as she got more anxious. But soon enough, a perfectly normal looking girl is walking in her direction, a smile on her face. Her face looks bright, eyes wide and sparkling, filled with excitement. Her hair is dyed blonde and normally Sunmi wasn’t a fan of unnatural blondes but it suited her. The stranger’s eyes turn into crescents and her smile almost blinds Sunmi.

“Hi, I’m Wendy!” she chirps, putting out her hand for the other girl to grab.

Sunmi immediately accepts the hand, not surprised by the immense warmth she’s radiating.

“I’m Sunmi,” she replies with a genuine smile, her nerves washing away thanks to Wendy’s brilliance.

“I guess we’re partners for orientation,” she beams, her head tilting to the side. Normally, Sunmi was wary of overly excited, overly nice people. But this girl oozed sincerity.

“I guess so,” Sunmi replies with a nod, her smile widening.

“You’re really pretty,” Wendy compliments without a beat of hesitation and Sunmi blushes immediately.

“N-No, you are!” Sunmi retorts, hiding her face behind her hair.

Wendy bursts into laughter and it’s so loud, Sunmi wonders if you can hear it halfway across campus. But she soon finds herself chuckling as well, unsure exactly of what’s so funny.

“It isn’t a competition,” Wendy snorts, her hand resting on her shaking abdomen. “You’re funny too.”

Before Sunmi can accept yet another compliment, another student enters her vision and she finds herself ready to black out.

Another blonde, this time more of a strawberry blonde and Sunmi can feel her heart beat increasing. She’s shorter than her and her hair only reaches her shoulders, styled in light curls. Sunmi’s eyes widen and hangs open just a little bit as she takes in the beauty of the new presence. Wendy notices Sunmi’s expression and turns around before putting a hand over and gasping.

“You’re Kim Taeyeon!” she practically yells, her eyes threatening to leave their sockets.