Until You Fall in Love

It's Oh So Quiet

 

Woohyun first sees him while he is in a meeting one Monday morning. He is in the middle of his presentation when he makes the mistake of looking at the door. All coherent thought leaves him for a moment, as struck as he is by the man's beautiful smile. The man is gone before he can blink, but the impression he leaves lasts much longer. It takes another moment before Woohyun remembers where he is and what he’s doing and he stumbles to pick up where he'd left off. He manages to finish his presentation— admittedly less confident than when he began— but his mind is still on that man and his brilliant smile.

He has all but forgotten the embarrassing incident the next day when he steps onto the elevator after lunch and comes face-to-face with a familiar figure. The man is a bit shorter with fluffy dark brown hair and sparkling eyes. Woohyun is almost grateful for the sudden paralysis preventing him from reaching out to feel if the man's hair is as soft as it looks. The handsome stranger greets him with a bow, the corners of his lips curving up ever so slightly and Woohyun awkwardly mimics his actions. He has no idea why he’s acting so clumsily; he’s usually good at meeting new people.

The uncomfortable ride up ends soon enough, the shorter man being the first to escape. He gives him one last small bow before getting off the elevator and Woohyun tries his hardest not to watch him walk away. He’s never met someone who has piqued his interest so suddenly and completely without doing very much at all.

~*~

A week has gone by and Woohyun is still thinking about that guy from the elevator. It's ridiculous, he thinks, because they haven't spoken one word to each other, but that hasn't stopped his mind from plaguing him with constant images of the man's gorgeous smile (not that he really minds). He tries (but not really) to shake those thoughts from his head as he heads to his boss' office. Those thoughts seem to come to life when the elevator doors open and he gets a fresh glimpse of what he has been mentally rerunning for the past few days. The handsome stranger is chatting with Hoya, the director's secretary, a few feet away, that ever-present smile just as wonderful as Woohyun remembers it.

Attempting to keep his cool, Woohyun walks toward them with what he hopes is a pleasant expression (although judging by the look on Hoya's face it may be coming off a bit forced). The other man fortunately doesn't notice his discomfort, but when he directs his gorgeous smile at him, Woohyun finds his heart beating abnormally fast and he thinks he may be having a minor heart attack. So he does the most reasonable thing he can think of: scurrying away to the safety of his boss' office.

Leaning against the closed door, he takes a moment to catch his breath; running away to escape embarrassment only to embarrass yourself even further could really take a lot out of you. There is no way he can ever face that guy again now that he's made such a big fool of himself. Once he has his breathing under control, Woohyun finally approaches the director, who seems to be having an intense staring contest with his phone. What's odder is the fact that the screen isn't even on, but the oddest thing is definitely the cupcake sitting untouched on his desk. Sunggyu never ignores his daily cupcake.

That is all worth discussing, however Woohyun has bigger problems right now.

"Hyung," he whines, plopping into a chair in front of the desk. Sunggyu probably isn't the best person to go to for this kind of advice, but his options are rather limited at the moment. "I'm an idiot."

Sunggyu eventually pulls his attention away from the device in his hands and gives his friend a bored glance. "Who is it this time?"

"I don't actually know his name," Woohyun admits, scooting his chair closer so he can rest his arms on the desktop. "He was talking to Hoya and then he saw me and I freaked out and ran in here."

"Wow, that's new. Isn't it usually the other way around?"

Rolling his eyes in irritation, Woohyun doesn't bother answering the question— mostly because he knows it's true. He can admit he sometimes comes off a bit strong with his cheesy antics, but he likes to think that's one of his many (many) charms. His mom really likes it, anyway.

"But seriously, what am I going to do? I can't even talk to him; what if I run into him again?"

"Stop being so dramatic," Sunggyu says. "Besides, hundreds of people walk in and out of this building every day, it's hardly likely you'll see him again. He probably won't remember you anyway."

"Please remind me never to ask for your help with anything ever again." Woohyun should've known better; literally anyone else would have been better to talk to.

"You're just over-thinking it— which is weird because you usually don't think much when it comes to this stuff. Are you feeling alright?"

"You are seriously the worst friend ever." It may be the truth, but the older man could have worded it better. Woohyun feels completely justified when he plucks the forgotten cupcake off the table (although he is secretly relieved that Sunggyu doesn't notice). "What about you— are you still pining over that intern?"

"I'm not 'pining'." Sunggyu is quick to respond and even quicker to add, "I'm just taking it slow."

"How can you take it slow if you haven't even made a move," Woohyun ventures around a mouthful of the most delicious chocolate cupcake ever made. Ever since his boss went on that little date he can't seem to go more than five minutes without talking about the young intern. Woohyun is happy for his friend, really— it's been quite a while since Sunggyu's taken an interest in something other than work— he just wishes the director would actually talk to the kid instead of whining about how much he wants to talk to him.

More embarrassed than angry, Sunggyu glares at his friend. "Get back to work."

"Just so we're clear, I'm leaving because I want to, not because you told me to." Woohyun polishes off the rest of the cupcake as he rises from his seat. He can't even remember the real reason he had come all the way up here, so he might as well go back down to his office; he should probably check up on the interns anyway (especially the tall one with the gummy smile). When he gets to the door he turns back with a smirk. "I'll tell Sungjong you said hi."

"Sh-shut up," Sunggyu stammers weakly, a light blush coloring his cheeks.

Chuckling at his flustered friend, Woohyun moves to open the door until he remembers what had transpired moments ago. He pokes his head out into the hallway and breathes a bit easier when he finds the handsome stranger nowhere in sight; he still doesn't know what he'll do if he sees him again.

"What are you doing?"

Hoya is staring at him like he has two heads sticking out from behind the door, which is actually a pretty common expression from the young assistant.

"Nothing." Woohyun's usual reaction would've been a snarky comment, but seeing as he hasn't been acting much like himself lately he sheepishly steps outside instead, his head bowed. Recalling Hoya's friendliness with the handsome stranger, he allows his curiosity to get the best of him and he asks, "So, who was that guy you were talking to earlier?"

"Why do you want to know about Dongwoo?" Hoya is still looking at him with the same expression and Woohyun is trying very hard not to find it unnerving.

"I just— I mean, I've never seen him before, so I was just wondering who he is."

The secretary finally looks away, turning back to his computer screen with a smirk. "Sure you were."

Nearly stomping like a miffed toddler, Woohyun's mouth drops into a frown. "Yes, I was."

"Uh huh."

Woohyun ignores Hoya's condescending tone— like the mature adult he is— and decides it would be best if he leaves (did he mention how mature he is?); he got what he was looking for anyway. On the elevator ride back down to his office he contemplates what he should do with this new information. He now has a name to go with that gorgeous smile, but he doesn't know if that will make it easier for him to talk to the owner of that ridiculously marvelous smile. He really needs to do something about this little crush, he's starting to sound like a poet or something.

By the end of the day Woohyun finds out through extensive research (aka bugging the guys down in Human Resources) that Dongwoo works in the mail room. He's only been at the company for a few weeks so that is probably why Woohyun's never seen him before. It's really no surprise he doesn't get any actual work done; he can't seem to think about anything else. He's just lucky Sunggyu is similarly preoccupied or he would really be in trouble.