She Doesn't Know Anymore

Just Enough
Please log in to read the full chapter

She didn't know how it started. But she was grateful that the world was so tiny and interconnected. She didn't expect him to approach her first. But she still remembered that day her Facebook messages pinged.

Jongdae: Hi ^^

Even before he messaged him, she knew a bit about him beforehand. Her friend from another school had told her that he was her new boyfriend and helpfully attached a photo of him so she could examine him. She found it odd how her friend had moved on so quickly from her previous (ex) boyfriend a month ago but she didn't say anything.

But she trusted that her friend would have (somewhat) good taste in boyfriends so she replied back.

Hakyoung: Hello? You're Taeyeon's boyfriend right?

He replied back almost immediately.

Jongdae: Yep! ^^ Haha, I'm guessing she told me about me?

Their conversation went from light, polite small talk to finding more about each other. They found out about each other's past schools, and how it currently went on from their respective schools. He was a breath of fresh air and she found that she could relate more to him than her friends at school.

She quite liked talking to him. Most people would find starting friendships over the internet weird, but then again most people didn't know about Jongdae and Hakyoung's friendship that was slowly being developed over social media.

 

Their friendship continued for as long as they kept messaging each other. It helped that both Jongdae and Hakyoung were huge internet users, the online green dot showing beside their names almost all the time.

He went to her his problems and she did the same. Sometimes he would come to her for relationship advice regarding Taeyeon and she would do her best to guide him. But then again, Taeyeon and Hakyoung weren't that close, but nevertheless he took the advice grateful.

Same went for Hakyoung, and her massive crush on a boy back then. She would gush about him to Jongdae and he laughed it off, listened to her constant fangirling and was happy for her. Hakyoung never had a relationship before and had constant crushes so she figured going to someone who actually had a relationship would somewhat give her better advice.

The school nights would go by really quick with their constant chattering and occasionally (okay, constant) complaining of schoolwork and school life.

And although school was painful, at least Jongdae was there to make it better.

Even at 12 AM when she was having a panic attack over her big test the next day, Jongdae would always be there to lend a nice (virtual) hug and words of encouragement.

 

Even more time passed. The same routine followed. Taeyeon and Jongdae had broken up, but Hakyoung didn't find out until pictures of Taeyeon and her new boyfriend surfaced on Facebook. Jongdae hadn't mentioned it to her.

Hakyoung shook her head, because how many boyfriends had Taeyeon had? Five? Six? You were starting to lose count at this point.

Back when Taeyeon and Jongdae were dating, Jongdae had always been constantly pestering Hakyoung with questions about Taeyeon.

Does she always leave people at seen?

Does she always sound disinterested in conversation? I mean all those one-worded answers…

How could she never really wants to talk to me?

From all these questions, Hakyoung knew that Taeyeon was getting bored of her then-boyfriend. She knew Taeyeon: she falls really easily (or gets infatuated really quickly) and once she gets bored or doesn't feel attracted to her boyfriends anymore, the inevitable split happens (with her always doing the dumping).

Hakyoung felt sorry for Jongdae. Taeyeon was a very likable girl and it was no surprise she had boys constantly at her feet. But he didn't mention her as frequently and somehow Hakyoung knew he was fine with it. Maybe he was even expecting it. 

Hakyoung was scared that he might not talk to her as often, since Taeyeon was the reason why they got to know each other. But he was friends with her friends at the other school so she wasn't sure.

However, her worries were quickly thrown out the window, because right then:

Jongdae: Hakyoungeeee you won't believe what just happened T^T

 

Over time, lines blurred. Hakyoung was worried. Was it getting unhealthy that Jongdae was the only person she talked to? Is she being too clingy? Was it weird that Jongdae was the only person that she could share her deepest, darkest secrets too? It was scary how fast he was slowly climbing the invisible list of important people in her list. She felt more comfortable in his presence than her female friends.

It's okay to have a male friend. Her conscience is screaming at her this time. A male and a female can be friends and there's nothing weird about it.

I care about him and he cares about me. There's nothing wrong with it.

After a long internal debate, Hakyoung concludes that she has been reading way too much romantic fanfiction and to stop overcomplicating a simple matter.

Hakyoung likes to think she knows herself well. She knows when she's stressed, tired, and when she either likes someone way too much for her good. She knows when she gets jealous and when she's mean. So when she subconsciously realizes that she's beginning to like Jongdae, a feeling of dread overtakes her.

How the did this even start?

Can I stop myself from falling?

It's been 2 years since they met and the only time Hakyoung met him in real life was about a month ago. 

Hakyoung: Hey, are you up for the movies with Taeyeon and the others? :D

Jongdae: Sure, I want to meet you irl so we can hang out more irl. haha but…

Hakyoung: But what? o:

Jongdae: …can I tell you something?

Hakyoung: yeah ofc

Jongdae: Okay, I trust you to not tell anyone… So Taeyeon and I aren't on the best terms. During the relationship, she thought I was "rude." After we broke up, your friends keep pestering me, s

Please log in to read the full chapter