end

i love you on so many levels

In hindsight, he didn't know how he fell in love or when exactly it happened. With her incessant mouth and the frequent onslaughts and sharp scolding, she was deemed unlikable by most of the staff, save for a few ones who excelled in getting along with her for their own benefit. The rest of the people were rather bonded through solidarity, badmouthing whenever they knew she wasn't in earshot. He was rather of the middle ground, and so was Jaehwan, his close friend and co-worker. Still, it was clear cut he wasn't allowed to get chummy with the enemy - he wondered if kissing the gloss away from her lips and slipping his hand under her skirt fell into that category. Probably yes, Wonshik told himself as his gaze fell on the waves of her skirt and further down the shapely legs, pencil dangling from his mouth. On her calf, a coin sized bruise, green and purple, caught his attention, his eyebrows furrowing in interest. He couldn't help but think the worst, and a bothering sensation brewed in his chest. 

The first time they actually spoke was when the elevator broke down and he was the unlucky (or extremely lucky now that he thinks about it) one to be trapped inside with her for approximately 17 minutes, not that he counted. She looked impeccable as always, but he didn't expect the serious, composed business woman to just start raving, whiny complaints and Wonshik found it so hard to suppress his laughter, the turned up edge of her lips so endearing it only made Wonshik chuckle again and to his elation a smile broke out on her face. "Very funny, Wonshik." It was supposed to be chastising, but Wonshik was more in awe that she actually knew his name. Hakyeon saw the wonder in his eyes and mumbled name tag, and Wonshik only noticed he wasn't wearing any when they got out of the elevator, Hakyeon skipping away with another small smile on her lips. Wonshik wanted to do everything to see that little, sweet grin over and over again.So Wonshik did what a sappy, stupid man would do, namely sending her anonymous little notes and gifts and barging in her office minutes after he supposed she'd seen them, reveling in the coy smile and how flustered she became even though Wonshik's questions were always work-related. Jawhwan was genuinely stumped at his audacity and though happy that his friend was clearly whipped, warned him not to be too obvious.

Another broken elevator, another encounter. Fortunately this time Hakyeon wasn't rushing anywhere, still a thick stack of papers was cradled to her chest and stress was evident in the hunch of shoulders and the subtle signs of sleeplessness under her eyes. The papers ended up bundled in Wonshik's arms, the corners of curving in gratitude, soft, enticing laughter tumbling out at one of Wonshik's (lame) jokes. It made Wonshik feel warm and content and bold. 32 minutes and an exchange of numbers later, Wonshik was, as Jaehwan so eloquently put it, a love-stricken idiot with an idiotic smile. He paid no heed to the teasing. 

The first time they went out it wasn't planned. It rained heavily and Wonshik's eyes were caught by striking red and golden skin and recognition set in. His eyes flitted to the dripping wet hair and he hastily approached her. Little marks of mascara were smeared around her eyes and she wore an ashamed smile as she slid under the umbrella. Wonshik thought she was so pretty, drops of water caught in her lashes, teeth stuck in her lower pink lip in embarrassment. "Let's get you a warm coffee." He offered while he wrapped an arm around her shoulder and Hakyeon poked his cheek, amused. "I didn't know you were such a gentleman, Wonshik." It was a pleasant affair, but it left Wonshik with a blooming blush when Hakyeon kissed his cheek in thanks and whispered something that made him want to crawl to the floor in shame. "You know I have cameras installed in my office, right, Wonshik?" 

Wonshik discovered a wilder side of Hakyeon that he doubtlessly enjoyed. Their first kiss had (maybe unsurprisingly) happened in an elevator, when Hakyeon pulled him in by the collar and taunted him a little, a roguish grin on her glossed lips that made Wonshik all the more excited. "Do you really believe I'm the prettiest woman you've ever seen, Wonshik?" Well, that was embarrassing. "That I have the most gorgeous legs you've ever seen? The sweetest smile? The nicest voice?" Wonshik wanted to melt into the floor, instead he gripped on the sides of Hakyeon's waist and coaxed the faintest gasp. "Why are you torturing me.. I've been crushing on you for years." Words slightly muffled in her shoulder and Hakyeon pinched slightly at his side, not letting Wonshik say a word more and kissing him instead, soft lips working against his fervently, passion that made them both pink with joy. 

Dates became as frequent as possible afterwards. Small encounters whenever they could, stolen kisses in the corners, lingering touches before getting to work. As subtle as they tried to be, Wonshik was caught with glistening smudges of gloss over his lips on way too many occasions, and Jaehwan didn't let a chance escape. "It brings your eyes out. So pretty, Wonshikkie." And Wonshik slapped his shoulder, crimson tainting his cheeks. Everybody knew, their ungainly secrecy failing spectacularly. There were, as expected, mixed reactions - delight, envy, scorn. But after it turned into an open secret, they both wondered why they had tried to hide in the first place. Contempt won't ever stop, but they were alright with that. 

Wonshik poked at Hakyeon's bruises on the legs splayed on his lap one sunny afternoon, making Hakyeon yelp softly. "Why won't you tell me what are those about?" Hakyeon squinted her eyes, the dullest pink present on her cheeks. "I dance. Ballet." She made a shushing motion with her finger, gaze unwavering. "Don't make fun of me. Yeah, I am a strong woman.. doing something delicate. Shut up." Wonshik couldn't hold back his laughter, pulling her into his arms and kissing her temple. "You're so dumb." It was laced with endearment and Hakyeon smiled softly. "Come with me to the studio after our shift."  Wonshik nodded in her neck, nuzzling his nose gently there. "Alright, but I don't dance. I'm a klutz." Hakyeon grinned, cupping his jaw before pecking his lips. "We'll see about that." 

Hakyeon wondered if it became sort of their thing - being trapped in elevators. She groaned as Wonshik held her close, grumbling about the class she'd already missed. She bit lightly at his neck in annoyance and Wonshik grunted, fingers along her spine and Hakyeon kissed the spot she'd just bitten, "I'm sorry, baby." Wonshik started swaying a bit, arms wrapped firmly around her lithe waist and Hakyeon hummed, pleased, arms tightening around Wonshik's shoulders, face burrowed in his neck. It came so easily, out of nowhere, and Wonshik hadn't realized he'd said it until Hakyeon pulled away. Maybe he shouldn't have blurted aloud that he loves her, maybe it was too soon, but the furious blush gracing her cheeks and neck made his embarrassment sink and his bravado spike, breathy laughter spilling as her fingers raked along her red skirt in nervousness. "I don't think you have any right to be surprised." Wonshik joked, pulling her back in his arms and kissing her neck, working on her jaw line and finally closing his mouth over hers; a tender, tame kiss and as they parted, she rubbed the lipstick away from his lip with a little grin, "I love you, too."