Prologue: the end of August

Third time's a charm

It was some nights before college started when Byun Baekhyun was yet again froced to attend his girlfriend's well known annual pool-party. Don't get him wrong, he was definitely a er for parties and would be dancing all night long. It was just that the upperclass people, as a matter of fact, didn't seem to suit him. At all. 

<< Oh, come on Baeki, stop pulling this face. What's wrong ? You're dragging everyone's mood down with that facial expression of yours. >> What mood? Soojung, his girlfriend, who was a part of the elite community, and the only one he really knew in this huge mansion, whined while pinching his cheek. As much as he loved her, the way she behaved in the presence of her college friends was always sort of peculiar in his opinion. The girl he felt comfortable with was his girlfriend Soojung and not Lee Soojung, the daughter of Seoul's wealthiest family. But life never went easy on him, did it?
Baekhyun sighed. Eventhough he told Soojung countless times that he wasn't a fan of nicknames - especially the ones who ended with an i - he let it slip this time because his mature self decided to not worsen his girlfriend's mood by complaining about her ways of calling him again. He should get rewarded, at the very least.
<< Uhm, you know, those parties just aren't my thing. I think I'd be better leaving now. Heading home and all that. >>
Baekhyun sort of mumbled due to the high chance of his girlfriend getting mad at him. 
And yes, he was right with his assumption. 
<< I can't believe you've considered leaving MY party Byun Baekhyun! Don't you think it's bad enough that you've left all of my friend's parties we got invited to. No, you just had to add fuel to the fire and make me even angrier. >> She made her hair flip to make this situation even more dramatic. He would've chuckled if she wouldn't be killing him on the spot.
Baekhyun's sighs were getting heavier and heavier these days. Those invitations were never directed to him. She was just dragging him to those events without his consent. 
He already assumed it was a bad idea to actually confront his girlfriend so he made the clever decision not to. 
<< Alright, fine, I'll stay, okay ? Stop sulking around, Soojung. I'll stay. You're happy now ? >> A fake smile appeared on his face. He should get a trophy for the most considerate boyfriend of Korea. Scratch that - of the world.
<< Thanks Baeki. >> She gave him a peck on the cheek. << You're the best. Love you. >> And in less than a nanosecond she has disappeared into another room of this seemingly neverending mansion. 

He wandered through the building and was faced with merely forced laughter and fake smiles in every direction he was looking at. Although his girlfriend owned this mansion noone recognized him as her boyfriend and was ignoring him all along. At least this current state was much better than having shallow conversations with as shallow people. Not minding anybody's business, Baekhyun decided to search for the path to the rooftop since his girlfriend didn't want him to leave this place, so there was no other option if he wanted to actually breathe non-air-conditioned air again.
                                                                     
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cold breeze made Chanyeol shiver as he was looking down and seeing people chatting through the whole night but at least he was able to breathe properly again. He should've worn something warmer but it was way too humid these days. So he didn't even bother in the first place.
This must have been one of the days/nights he regretted the most. Not only were his parents forcing him to move to Seoul a few weeks ago but his dad also humiliated him by asking his boss to invite Chanyeol to his boss' daughter's party. So that's how he ended up on Lee Soojung's empty rooftop, ignored by every single human being in this freaking huge building, which was hard to achieve, considering the fact that this place had currently more than 500 people located in. Chanyeol's achievements had always been outstanding.
He suddenly heard the doorknob of the only door on this rooftop being moved and was caught off guard. Shocking thoughts were wandering through his mind. What if it was actually prohibited to be up here ? What if Soojung will tell her father and Chanyeol's father will get in trouble just because he pointlessly went to the rooftop ? He could already feel the angry glare his mother would shoot him. His mind went crazy as he was staring at the door waiting for it to be opened. But the person behind the door was apparently too weak to open it. Chanyeol hoped that the odds wouldn't, like they always would, be against him this time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only source of light Baekhyun was able to see was the one shining through the keyhole so he figured the rooftop was brighter than he's expected. As he was pulling down the handle while pulling the door to his body, it occured to him that opening it wasn't as easy as he thought it would be. Without losing hope, he used the biggest amount of strength - pretty much the only amount he owned - to pull down the handle and simultaneously pulled with all the armstrength he posessed the door towards his direction. But nothing happened. He cursed the door to death and a pout was slowly drawn to his face. While he was still holding onto the handle, his curses seemed to be spoken out loud. 
<< Stupid. >> Kick. << Freaking. >> Kick. << Disobeing. >> Kick. << Door. Wahhhh. >> 
And to his shocking surprise, the door was opened. 
This had to be a joke.
Life surely hated him.
<< Bloody hell, Byun Baekhyun. Of course, pushing would have been the right thing to do. God damn it, today's obviously not your day. No wonder Sooju- >>
<< I'm sorry! I really really am. I didn't know, I mean I wouldn't be here if I would've known. Please, please don't tell anybody I was up here. I'll head down in the fastest speed you've ever seen. Wait you know what? You won't even see me, that fast am I going to be. Flash is nothing compared to me. So, please? >>
A scared, sort of high pitched, but still surprisingly deep voice, interrupted his mumbled monologue. Curiously, Baekhyun looked up and saw a tall guy with ears sticking out in an oddly way, dark hair, and glasses that were thicker than his expencive schoolbooks, which he's purchased just some days ago, and legs that were as long as his whole height. He couldn't deny, that this guy was handsome, somehow, in a weird way. Said tall guy, was slowly approaching him, and he somehow managed to look even more nervous than before. Fun fact: He didn't seem to be in control when it came to his way too long limbs hitting almost every table that was placed here. Also, his eyes seemed to be twitching. 
What a strange guy, Baekhyun thought.
<< Excuse me, but I didn't comprehend anything you were trying to say. What are you apologizing for again ? >> Baekhyun asked with confusion obvious on his face. Tall guy seemed to be as confused as he was, at least his knitted brows were telling him so.
<< Aren't you supposed to be angry at me ? >> Baekhyun totally didn't expect this question coming out of tall guy's pretty mouth. The male was now standing just a few inches away from him and his height would have surely intimidated the smaller one if the stranger didn't have this frantic expression on his face.
<< Why should I be angry at you ? I'm sorry, but I don't even know you. >> Baekhyun almost went nuts because the male in front of him was nervously fumbling with his fingers. The guy however, seemed to find a certain calmness through this action. 
<< Because I'm on the rooftop ? >> It seemed like Baekhyun's preachers were heard. Fortunately, that guy decided to put his hands into his pockets. God bless the existens of jeans pockets.
<< So am I ? >> Baekhyun asked, more confused than he ever was. 
<< Wait, so you're not here to tell me to leave this rooftop ? I'm acutally allowed to be up here ? >> The disbelief in the male's face amused Baekhyun. So that's why this guy seemed so scared and almost paranoid. The stranger thought that he was here to scold him. He just had to let out a chuckle.
<< You can stop freaking out now, scaredy cat. >> Baekhyun smiled at him. << It's allowed to be up here, so relax your tense body. >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chanyeol's body started to lose all this tension as soon as the small stranger mentioned it.
<< I thought I was going to wet my pants or something, no joke. Thanks man. >>
The stranger laughed at that. An actual real laugh, which Chanyeol haven't heard since he's moved to Seoul and only met ridiculously rich people his parents introduced him to who apparently only used their trained perfect laugh. He felt at ease with this stranger's presence and his soothing laugh.
<< What were you even scared of ? >> Another chuckle left the stranger's mouth. He seemed to chuckle quite a lot.
<< I mean. let's say it would be prohibited to be on the rooftop. Worst case scenario and all that jazz. The only "punishment" you would receive would be to leave the rooftop and you'd be good. >> The smaller one finished. Chanyeol was looking at the guy's delicate hands which were still mid air after he's emphasized the word "punishment" with apostrophies. Damn, since when do guys own that type of hands. 
<< Well, I don't know, I guess I just freaked out because Lee Soojung, the one who throws the party, is known to be a little short tempered? I heard crazy stories about her firing her whole staffcrew in less than a minute. Isn't that crazy? And, you know, her dad is my dad's boss and->>
<< And you assumed she would tell her dad and your dad would get fired ? I know Soojung can be cruel sometimes, or quite often, actually, but trust me, it's not to this extent. I mean, she can be really nice once you know her better. >> The stranger's happy expression turned into a really thoughtful one.
<< So you do, huh? >> Chanyeol asked.
<< I do what ? >>
<< You know her better ? You seem to be, how should I say, really fond of her ? >>
An either sad or disappointed smile - he couldn't really tell which one of the two - was seen on the stranger's face. Chanyeol certainly didn't like either of them.
<< Actually, Soojung is my girlfriend. >> Wait, what? Another chuckle left the smaller's mouth. 
<< Please stop looking at me like that, I almost feel offended. >> The stranger lightheartedly said. Great, Chanyeol, you should really control your facial expressions.
<< I'm sorry. Oh god I'm such an idiot. I even badmouthed your girlfriend. I'm really sorry. Wait, so you're Byun Baekhyun, right ? Lee Soojung's, uhm, boyfriend ? >> 
Byun Baekhyun didn't seem to be mad at him at all. He was actually smiling.
<< Oh, I see someone did his research. You can call me Baekhyun. And you are ? >> 
<< I'm Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol. But you can call me Chanyeol. Or whatever you want to call me. >> He stuttered embarrassingly. Baekhyun's smile became even friendlier. 
<< I'll go with Chanyeol, is that alright? >> Chanyeol nodded quickly, a little too quickly. And Baekhyun laughed yet again. 
<< Relax, tiger. >> The smaller one chuckled and approached the railings of the rooftop. Chanyeol followed and as he was trailing behind him, he noticed Baekhyun's hair was coloured in a bright ashy brown tone. Finally, he was standing right next to Baekhyun, who seemed to be in deep thoughts. His eyes looked like they were focusing on something but nothing at the same time. Maybe he was looking at the few other building in front of them or at the sky or at plainly nothing. He couldn't tell.
Suddenly he turnt to Chanyeol and caught him staring at Baekhyun. Embarrassed, Chanyeol turnt to the front and tried to act normal. Don't mess this up, Chanyeol, this could be a potential friend right there, so, don't mess this up.
<< So, what's your story ? >> The brunette asked him. His story ? 
<< My story ? >> Baekhyun nodded assuringly.
<< Well, it's nothing special, really. I moved to Seoul two weeks ago because my dad got this new job at LeeEnterprise. At first I was sort of pissed because we had to move to another city and I had to leave all of my friends behind. I litterally know noone here. But now that he earns more money i'm finally able to visit my dream college so there are some benefits I guess. >> Chanyeol finished.
<< That's not true. >> Baekhyun said. Chanyeol looked at him weirdly.
<< You do know someone. You know me. >> The brunette smiled at him for the umpteenth time that day. And Chanyeol smiled back.
<< Wow, the tall grumpy robot is actually capable of smiling. >> Baekhyun joked. << But for real now, Seoul's really nice. I can show you around if you want to. >> He suggested. Chanyeol looked at him in disbelief and nodded passionately. 
<< Really?? I mean, yeah sure, if you want to. >> Chanyeol shrugged. Well, at least he tried to. And the brunette laughed again after he elbow punched him in the stomach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night went on as the two young males talked about their lives. They figured they were going to attend the same college and major in different but minor in the same subjects. Chanyeol majored in Business Management and minored in Music, whereas Baekhyun majored in Law. They learnt a lot about eachother that night and Chanyeol couldn't believe his ears when Baekhyun suggested to exchange phonenumbers before they parted ways. 
Yes, success, Chanyeol thought, finally a new friend. 
Little did he know that fate had other plans for him.