Undercover

Undercover - Dongwon

A different feeling sat along the bottom of your stomach while your eyes glanced over the files that were in front of you. Flipping through the pages, your eyes wondered over the information as they didn’t really pay attention to the printed letters along the page. Dongwon glanced over at you and focused on your eyes as they didn’t move like they normally did when you were reading something important.

“Any questions?” Your boss questioned as he waited a few minutes before he spoke again, “The mission will start 04:00 so be here before then so we can send you off.”

Everyone stood on their feet as you slowly closed the file and slid it across the clear glass top of the conference table. Carefully, you stood up and pushed your chair back into it’s place as you watched your boss leave the room followed by his advisers and people from different departments that were in on this undercover mission.

“Hey, ______” Dongwon called from behind you, turning around, your eyes met up with his as his hand gently rested on your arm. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything is fine” You nodded your head trying to strain a little smile yet he knew you better than that.

“Come on, won’t you tell me what is wrong?” He probed, his beautiful brown eyes scanned your face slowly trying to find any clues that would help him discover what you were thinking.

Shaking your head, your eyes dropped down to your hands that slid into your pockets. Giving yourself some time, you closed your eyes for a moment you formed the words you wanted to say yet your mouth didn’t move. Taking in a deep breath, you slowly let the words spill from your lips.

“I have an odd feeling about this mission, Dongwon.” Your voice came off in a slight whisper as his thumb brushed against the soft skin on your arm.

“What do you mean?” He questioned, stepping towards you slightly knowing that you were were the only ones left in the room now.

“I feel like something is going to go wrong…” You told him, your eyes lifted up to his eyes as he gave you a gentle smile.

“You have done a few missions and you know by now that at least one things goes wrong, if it doesn’t then it will happen” He reassured you, being your trainer and senior whom you looked up to since he had been in this business a lot longer than you had been.

“Yeah but it feels like something is going to go terribly wrong, worse than the usual” You told him keeping your eyes on his.

“It might, but right now you just need to focus on the final task, the end goal, once we accomplish that then we have done our job.” He told you in a kind and loving tone. “Why don’t we head to our rooms, we both need our sleep for tomorrow, 4am is going to come up quick.”

“Okay, but promise me one thing” You watched him walk off a little before he turned around and faced you with a smile and a nod wanting you to go on. “Whatever happens tomorrow, thank you for training me and helping me get this far. I have enjoyed being your student and learning from such a respected agent like yourself.”

“______ if you keep saying things like this, you are going to jinx us.” He chuckled and ruffled your hair lightening the mood around the two of you, “Come on, I’ll walk you to your room.”

“Thank you, even though it is only across the hall from yours” You chuckled and poked his side causing him to buckle a little as you pushed the door open first.

The two of you walked calmly next to each other down the emptied halls, the emergency lights on as they dimly lit the concrete walls lined with painted strips and military numbers. Glancing over at Dongwon once and a while, you could tell that his mind was going over the mission in his mind. Sooner than you would have liked, you arrived at your room.

“Well, here we are” He told you as he stood beside you door.

“Thank you for walking me to my room” You told him pressing your thumb to the plate as it opened to your neat room with minimal decorations. “Would you mind waiting here a moment?”

“Take your time” He smiled at you as you smiled back and trotted into your room, pulling out your dresser drawer that was second to the bottom, you lifted a card from your neatly folded piles of black tank tops. Heading back to the door, you saw him standing valiantly outside of your door.

“For you” You stood in your doorway as you extended your arm out holding the card out between your fingers.

“Why are you giving me this?” He chuckled taking the note none the less. “It isn’t like we aren’t going to make it through the mission tomorrow,”

“It is just nice to get something once and a while” You told him leaning against the door frame as he looked up from the note, his name beautifully written on the outside of the envelope.

“I don’t have to get you anything in return right?” He giggled yet slightly serious, “’Cause all I have in my room is a bunch of smelly socks.”

“This is something from me to you” You told him, dropping your eyes and biting your lip a little trying to keep your blushing under control.

“Wait here a moment” He smiled as he trotted across the hall to his room, pressing his thumb to the plate, he entered his room and rummaged around a little more before he trotted back over to you.

“What is this for?” You questioned looking at his fisted hand that was outstreatched towards you.

“For being the best student I have had and for good luck tomorrow” He told you, his eyes lightly twinkling under the dim emergency lights.

“I thought you didn’t believe in luck” You smiled holding out your hand a little to catch what ever would come out of his hand.

“I don’t… but I know you do” He told you, gently dropping a chained necklace into your hand.

“I made this for you while teaching one of my classes” He confessed while watching you investigate the necklace in your hand. Flipping the dog tag over, you noticed some symbols that you had learned in your early training.

“What does this mean?” You questioned running your fingers over the engraved side.

“You will always have a special place in my heart” He smiled as he repeated what was engraved on the tag. Stepping towards you, he carefully unclasped the necklace and wrapped it around your neck as you gathered your hair to one side as he clipped it behind your neck. Letting it fall with your other dog tag, he smiled and gazed in your eyes.

“Thank you Dongwon” You smiled at him letting your fingers play with your new dog tag.

“You are welcome, just make sure that no enemies get that since it belongs to you” He smiled stepping back towards his room.

“No worries, it is safe with me” You smiled as you watched him blush a little more.

“Have a good night and see you in a few hours” Dongwon whispered to you across the hall as you smiled and nodded.

“Goodnight to you too” You whispered back before you stood up tall and closed the door before untying your shoes and slipping into bed.

Dongwon watched your door close before he closed his, slipping of his shoes he eased himself down onto his bed as he slipped your note from his bedside table. His brown eyes followed the of your pen that wrote his name on the envelope, flipping over the note, he pulled the flap up and slid the note from the envelope. Following your beautiful handwriting with his eyes, he couldn’t help but smile as you thanked him for all of the extra hours of practice, for the tips and pointers for everything he has taught you and for taking you under his wing. Tears started to sting his eyes as he read your note, signing your nickname that he gave you at the bottom, you drew a little heart by your name, his heart picked up a little seeing that little symbol by your name.

“That would just distract her from the mission” He mumbled to himself clearly knowing his feelings for you. Setting your letter by his bed, he flipped off the light and let his eyes fall closed.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Slowing your breaths, the world seemed to slow around you allowing yourself to focus and concentrate. Lifting your hand up slowly, you lifted the gun from your belt as you made sure it was fully loaded before you glanced over at Dongwon. Crouched beside you, he leaned against the wooden crates as he took in quiet deep breaths, slowing his heart rate slightly and clearing his mind for the mission.

After a moment or two, he opened his eyes and pulled out his gun. Dongwon loaded his gun then gazed over in your direction. Your eyes caught his as you could see his smile from behind the facial mask he wore. Communicating with your eyes, you read his as you both wished each other good luck before he lifted his hand up and rested it against your cheek. Brushing his thumb over your smooth skin, you watched his eyes dip down to your lips then up to your eyes as he gave you a gentle smile. Slowly his hand slipped from your cheek, dragging his fingertips down your arm, he turned and looked around the corner. Trying to get the timing right, he quickly moved from your bunch of crates to another. Moving closer and closer to the building, you turned and watched him, covering his back and following the plan that the two of you had put into place.

Watching a few of the guards turn around, you quickly dropped the guards to the ground before they could signal for help. Dongwon made it to the large metal doors and slipped through one of the broken windows. You waited for his queue while trying to see if there was anyone sneaking up on you. Checking your surroundings multiple times, you waited patiently for anything from Dongwon.

“Stay right there” A deep voice commanded before you heard the man drop the hammer as it made a soft click before he pressed the cool metal barrel to the back of your head.

“We found an intruder” One man called through his phone, getting orders, he hummed, “Yes sir” He ended the call before turning to his partner. “He wants us to bring her in.”

“Boss’ orders” The other man remarked with a smirk before he hit you over the head swiftly, feeling them lift you up onto their shoulders, your eyes then closed causing everything to go black.

“She is a pretty little thing isn’t she?” Another man’s voice cooed quietly as his fingertips ghosted over your skin. Stirring awake, you pulled on the restraints as your body was tightly tied to a large concrete column.

“What is her name?” Another man smiled as they watched you wake up.

“Agent ____ ______” A third man walked out from the shadows while four more guys followed him, everyone equipped with automatic firearms. “What are you doing around this part of the country?” The man questioned walking towards you as you could make out his face as the target you were trying to kill.

Watching him stand in front of you, his men circled around you, readying their guns just in case as he dragged the backs of his fingers up your arm slowly. “Why are you here? Shouldn’t you be doing something else, doll? Something more… you?”

Not answering, you looked into his eyes trying to use the tricks that Dongwon had taught your in practice as you continued to try and loosen yourself from the restraints.

“Why won’t you answer me? You have nothing to hide, I read your file, doll. Martial arts training, Intelligence agent before you were involved in a field mission then promoted to a field agent after your superb skills.” He rattled off your whole resume, knowing that he just blew your cover, you continued to look him in the eyes as you heard a soft ‘hoot’ noise. A smile slightly pulled on your lips as you just looked at him, knowing you were being watched by your partner.

“If you aren’t going to answer me, I am going to have to make you answer me” He told you, his nose just about touching yours.

Not willing to give in that easily, you just watched him as he waited for you to break.

“Give us a few minutes” The boss ordered his men as they slowly filed out of the room and returned to their bases. Hearing the door finally close, the boss looked back at you as he paced before you.

“I know you didn’t come alone” He started, “Once we find who you came with, we won’t go easy on him. We aren’t going to let you two go easily, you will be lucky if you get out of here alive.”

Not giving in, you continued to work your wrists raw against the ropes, feeling them get slightly looser, you waited a few hours, just watching your target walk right in front of you talking to you and elaborating on what he wanted to do with you once he captures your partner. Trying to get information out of you, he hit you a few times as you did everything in your power to divert his movements and try to get after him yet you couldn’t do much. Lowing your body in exhaustion, you hung by your arms and closed your eyes trying to convince yourself to fight through the intense pain you were feeling.

“I’ll give you some time to think about what I have said, if you need me just call” He smiles as he slowly paces back into the shadows. Looking up into the raptors, you saw Dongwon’s bright eyes twinkle under the low lights. Watching his cat like movements, he moved from the raptors down the steel beams. Turning your eyes away, you closed your eyes focusing on his footsteps, feeling his presence come closer and closer to you, his fingers brushed against your arms as he worked on the knots tightly tied around your wrists.

“You shouldn’t be here” You whispered breathlessly, opening your eyes as he worked on your ankles now.

“I couldn’t leave you here” He whispered as your eyes saw blood trickle down from his hairline across his cheek then down his neck a little ways. Bruises started to show themselves as you knew he has had a beating just like you have.

“You should go” You told him as he freed your feet and looked up into your eyes.

“I’m not leaving here without you” He pushed back some of your hair and tucked it behind your ear.

“Please, leave me, you need to go” You whispered feeling your heart hurt from the words that your lips were speaking.

“You should have listened to her” The voice spoke from the shadows as your target hasn’t moved since the boss left you to think about his offer.

“I’m not one that follows orders well” Dongwon answered with a smirk before lurching forward and attacking the boss paying him back for all of the pain that he had to watch you go through.

Wiggling yourself from the rest of the ropes, you got to your feet as you caught on to the guys that were filing in through the doors. Grabbing a loaded gun off of the ground, you fired a few shots watching a body fall after each shot fired.

One man grabbed you from behind as you kicked him and hit him to get free, working your way through the body guards, you kept an eye on Dongwon as he fought hard against the boss in front of him. Running over to help Dongwon, you took the boss from behind as the two of you knocked him to the ground, continuing your assault. In a split second, he quickly jumped up to his feet and wrapped his arms around you, pulling you against him as he pressed a gun against your head.

“If you move, I shoot” He warned Dongwon, Dongwon pushed himself up from the ground and steadying himself on his feet.

Dongwon’s eyes locked on yours, watching his mind turn, you fought to keep the tears at bay only seeing that look in his eyes once before. Closing your eyes, you gave him permission as he stepped forward. Keeping his word, he pulled the trigger against your head, bracing yourself you heard the click but no pain followed. Snapping your eyes back open, Dongwon quickly tackled the boss as you fell to the ground, kicking the loaded guns out of the way, you got to your feet and started to head towards the door.

However, the boss pulled out a smaller gun and shot at you, feeling your legs fall our from under you, you collapsed on the ground. Everything started to spin and slow as you looked back to see the boss walk towards you as Dongwon stayed on the ground on the other side of the boss.

“No!” Dongwon scrambled to his feet as the boss chuckled and aimed the gun at your torso while your leg throbbed out of pain.

Watching the scene play in front of you in slow motion, the man pointed the gun at you from close range ensuring devastating damage if not death. The man’s finger slowly pulled back on the trigger as you closed your eyes awaiting your fate as the bullet fired. Bracing yourself for impact, you tensed until a warm pair of arms wrapped around you, once the arms were around you they tensed as the extra body pushed against you.

Opening your eyes slowly, you flicked your eyes down at the body that was against you. Drawing your eyes to the gun in a holster, you pulled out the gun as the boss was walking away slowly happily basking in his “victory”. Pulling back the trigger you fired and watched as the boss fell to the ground, hearing his last breath inch out of his lips, you turned your attention to the body that was slowly relaxing in your arms.

Adjusting yourself under Dongwon, you held his head on your chest as you put pressure on his bullet wound entering his side. Relaxing against your body, he coughed a little, feeling his skin start to loose it’s heat.

“_____” Dongwon’s raspy voice called, looking up into your eyes, you cupped his face with your other hand. “I wanted to tell you… before it was too late…” He started before coughing some more, this time little droplets of blood spilling from his lips.

“We are going to get out of this” You reassured him as you lifted yourself up on your good leg as you helped him stand as well. Groans spilled from his mouth as he tried to help you carry him, shuffling to the car, you helped him into the passenger seat as you limped around then to the drivers seat. Starting the car and revving the engine you felt his hand on your causing you to freeze and look over at him.

“You are so beautiful and talented, the best student that I have ever trained. I am really proud of you and how far you have come” He told you as he pressed harder on his wound as you heard shots piercing through the back window of the car.

“Hang on, we aren’t out of this yet. This isn’t the end” You told him as you sped out of the gravel parking lot and stepped on the gas letting the car’s engine roar as you drove down the winding roads back to base.

“______….” Dongwon’s breathing started to get heavier as you slipped your hand into his as you continued to escape from the cars that were chasing you. One by one they peeled off and you found yourself alone driving off road across the desert to base.

“I like you ______. I like you… a lot” Dongwon’s words caused everything else to fall silent as you kept your eyes on the light tracks in the sand.

“Don’t confess Dongwon, you are going to live through this, just hold on” You told him as you pulled into the parking bay before you noticed that his eyes were closed and his grip on your hand slightly loosened.

“We will take it from here” The medical personnel told you as they carefully moved him from the car and onto a gurney before racing him off to the medical ward. 

Looking down at his seat, you saw all of the blood slightly pooled at the lowest part of the leather seat. However, something caught your eyes as you picked up a flash drive that was tucked away in the cup holder. Getting out of the car, you saw your boss and hobbled over to him.

“I think this belongs to you” You told him, hoping it was the objective of the mission. Your boss took the flash drive from you as he thanked you before your vision started to get blurry and your knees weak from all of the blood that you lost.

Feeling yourself moving a little, you slightly regained consciousness as your eyes noticed a man laying on bloodied sheets, doctors and workers crowded around him as you closed your eyes and let a tear or two fall from your eyes hoping Dongwon is doing okay.

Doctors and nurses crowded around you as they started to cut off your clothes, before they got too far, they put you to sleep as you allowed your eyes to close while they worked on you.

Constant beeps welcomed you back as your body felt sore and your leg throbbed worse than it ever has. Groaning a little, you opened your eyes feeling something in your hand. Rolling your head over gently, your eyes focused seeing a man laying in another bed next to you. Your eyes slowly observed his condition, a bandage pressed tightly against his temple as a little blood started to show through the bandage. Trailing your eyes over his bruised and scraped cheeks and neck, a large bandage was taped to his side as his torso was exposed. His chest moved up and down slowly, his muscles relaxed yet toned brought your eyes back up to his face. Slowly your thumb brushed against his hand that was in yours while your eyes wondered around his face.

“Thank you for coming to save me” You whispered to Dongwon, who was laying next to you, keeping your eyes on your clasped hands feeling guilty. “I am sorry you had to take a bullet for me…”

“It is okay… I love you” His lips gently moved, feeling his hand weakly squeeze yours. Relieved that he woke up, his thumb gently brushed across the back of your hand as the two of you rested.

“Dongwon…” Your voice mingled with the machines around the two of you as his hum was soft yet it beckoned you to continue. “I like you too although I am sure all of the girls have a crush on you.”

He chuckled lightly as he laced his fingers with yours, “You are the only one I am going to give my heart to”