final

Happiness Delight

Seulgi stood there; she stood in front of a huge building that looked like a castle. Her grip on the straps of her backpack tightened, teeth clenched with every step she made into the building in front of her, as she took a glance on her luggage that being dragged by two men to her dorm.

She recalled the thought of how she actually ended up here.

Right.

It was her father.

Her biological father, who probably sick of Seulgi behavior. And kindly decided to transfer his only daughter into an all-girls school. Not to mention that she had to live at the school dormitory. It did not get any better that her boyfriend decide to break up with her with the reason that he could not do a long distance relationship. It made her scoff.

Seulgi was observing her new environment.

“Girls,” she mumbled, followed by a click sound from her tongue. She kept walking until she arrived at the main gate of the certain building. Seulgi groaned when she saw a tiny girl who seemed so bright waved at her.

“Hi, welcome to Velvet School of Performing Arts exclusively for girls. I’m Son Wendy, here to help you.” She started talking really fast as soon as Seulgi was standing right in front of her.

Seulgi could not hold herself to roll her eyes when she saw that the tiny girl—Wendy— put on a serious expression when she was checking on what class Seulgi was in.

“Kang Seulgi!” Seulgi flinched a bit when her name suddenly being shouted, “I got it! You have to walk straight through this hallway and then turn right; your homeroom is located beside the piano room.”

Without saying anything, Seulgi walked away from the latter.

Not so long, she stopped because Wendy suddenly said, “do you need me to go with you?”

Seulgi sighed. Her head dropped down before she spun her body with a smile—fake smile—on her face.

“Nope,” she said. “I’m good. Thank you so much, Son Wendy.”

Being oblivious at Seulgi’s real attitude—and being the nice girl she was —Wendy nodded with a grin.

 

---

Her first day was nothing but the introductions of the school—and also, a performance by the seniors.

Seulgi enjoyed the performances. Unfortunately, she did not enjoy the school.

She was lying down on her new bed. It was not a king-sized bed like she had at home. On the contrary, it was a small bunk bed that only fit for two people for each. Seulgi took the one below.

The supervisor said that her roommate would arrive in any time that she did not have to worry for being alone inside the room. Seulgi did nod. The fact was, she really did not care and hoping that her roommate would never come.

Seulgi immediately sat up when she heard a click from the door.

The door was half opened, showing a figure of a girl who was probably talking with her parents. That girl oddly reminded her of Wendy—because they looked like in the same height.

She scoffed when both of the girl’s parents kissed her cheeks. “Immature.”

Seulgi went back to her first position when she saw the girl entered the room. She glanced at her that she noticed the girl was quietly putting her things to her closet. Seulgi assumed that the girl thought she was sleeping. A mischievous thought popped inside Seulgi’s head. She tried to not make any sound when she got up, as she slowly walked toward the girl.

Boo!”

Seulgi’s action made the girl yelped and lost her balance.

Fortunately, Seulgi had a good reflex that she grabbed a snow globe, which slipped from the girl’s hands.

She watched the globe before she realized that her roommate had her landed on the wooden floor.

But then again, it was Kang Seulgi.

So, she was just grinning there; waiting for the other girl to stand up by herself. Seulgi kind of expect some bitter words from the shorter girl. But instead, the girl kept looking down as her fingers nibbled on her long sleeve.

Seulgi frowned at the girl.

There was an awkward silence between them. Seulgi—who could not take the awkward atmosphere, decided to open a voice.

“Hi,” she stretched her arm to give the globe back to the owner. “I’m Kang Seulgi.

“And you are?”

Seulgi was never been the patient one. But her mind decided to wait on the girl who seemed so shy, and probably having a trouble of speaking—Seulgi’s thought.

She lowered her head to take a clearer view of the latter’s face, but she got blocked by a few strays of the girl’s hair.

Her roommate finally lifted her head.

And that was enough to shut Seulgi up.

Bae Joohyun.”

Seulgi was the one who was having a trouble of speaking after. The only word inside her head was,

Beautiful.”

 

---

 

It took Seulgi by surprise when she found out that Bae Joohyun was in the same class as her.

How could not she notice?

When Seulgi thought about it, she silently slapped herself for forgetting that Joohyun was quite and shy.

It had been a month since she was officially a student of Velvet School of Performing Arts. She had found some close friends named Park Joy, and Kim Yerim. She also discovered that Son Wendy was the same age as her—she was a sophomore—, it was annoying at first because Wendy kept hanging out with the three of them lately. But Seulgi finally decided to shrug it off, and ended up being the closest to Wendy. 

Whenever the time for lunch came, Seulgi always took some glances to the table beside her.

Bae Joohyun.

Seulgi was looking at Bae Joohyun.

The first week of school, along with the second, Seulgi had never seen Joohyun sat with anyone. She could not blame those people. Joohyun was too quite and shy those probably giving some people a bad impression.

But when the third week greeted them, she saw Joohyun was having some people who sat with her. She found out that they were some of the seniors. Seulgi was wondering how Joohyun managed to get some friends, more to the fact that they were all seniors.

But that did not matter.

Seulgi did not have anything with Joohyun’s life. Although on the other side, she felt relief that the fragile and extremely shy girl who happened to be her roommate could find some friends.

She turned her head back to her food and smiled.

“Do you know there is a rumor that they are the gay club of this school?”

Seulgi, who was about to bring a spoonful of her cheesecake, stopped immediately when she heard Yerim’s voice.

They?” Joy asked.

Yerim gave her a nod and secretly pointing at them.

The girls who sat beside their table.

The place where Joohyun and her friends sat on.

“Are you that certain?” Seulgi finally spoke. “I mean, they are all pretty, though.”

“I don’t know. Rumor is a rumor after all,” Yerim shrugged. “Hey, Wendy. You are here longer than us. Why don’t you share something you know about this gay club thing?”

Wendy violently choked on her caramel macchiato. She wiped before she shared a glance with her friends who were looking at her, weirdly.

“I—“ she coughed. “I don’t know anything.”

Yerim pouted. “Is that so? Too bad.”

Seulgi sighed, she hoped that they would never bring this topic ever again. But, she was wrong.

Because Joy said, “Seulgi, one of them is your roommate, isn’t it? What was her name again?”

Joohyun,” Seulgi cut her friend off. “Her name is Bae Joohyun. And I haven’t talked to her properly. So, don’t ask me anything.”

Joy her invisible beard. “Really?”

“Then why don’t you ask?”

Seulgi blinked in disbelief. “You want me to— what?”

“Come on, Seulgi. A month in this school, they have known you as the hottest troublemaker. I don’t believe you if you said that you can’t ask her about that secret club.” Joy earned some nods from Yerim and Wendy.

“I, I—“ Seulgi clenched her fist. “It’s not about it! Besides, why are you guys so eager to find out about it? Do you guys, perhaps, want to join?”

The three of them shook her head as they watched Seulgi took her leaving.

“Well,” Joy leaned forward. “That’s kinda weird.”

 

---

 

Seulgi was lying on her bed as usual. But her feeling was unusual.

She went home this afternoon to look at how her father was been when she was away. It shocked her once she opened the door, she was greeted by a loud music—not to mention a lot of drunken old people that she knew they were her father’s friends and some of his business partner.

Seulgi found her father in the living room. He was a mess; he did not look like Seulgi’s father—he was drunk. A bottle of some kind of alcohol in his hand, as he was having a conversation with his friends. It did not take a long time for him to notice that his only daughter was watching him in that condition.

He let out a mocking smile.

“Look,” he said. “Someone is coming to visit.”

He stepped closer to Seulgi. “You know, everyday I saw her lying on the bed of the hospital.”

Seulgi did not need a time to realize that her father was talking about her mother—who died a long time ago.

“And I thought, how the hell am I suppose to do to raise this stupid kid on my own?”

She gripped her jeans tighter.

A finger was pointing to her direction. And it was her father’s.

“You killed your mother. Do you hear me?” he stated. “You killed her.”

Seulgi could not take it anymore. But, no—she did not cry. She would not.

She chuckled, bitterly.

“Do you think you are the only one who died inside when she was gone?” She said. “Do you think you know anything about me?”

She shook her head with a smile on her face. “You don’t,” she ended her words as she left. She swore that she would not come to that house ever again.

Seulgi closed her eyes. Her chest felt so heavy. Even she, herself, was not sure about what she actually felt.

She jolted a bit when she heard that the door opened.

It was Joohyun.

Seulgi remembered the first time they met. In their room, Seulgi was also shocked by the click sound of the door. That was when she saw Bae Joohyun’s figure for the first time. It was different now, because Joohyun was now smiling at her.

“Hi, Seulgi.”

The corner of Seulgi’s lips lifted upward by itself when she heard her name from Joohyun’s mouth.

“Hi, Joohyun.”

She watched Joohyun walked to her closet. Joohyun let the doors of her closet open. Seulgi always knew that she did that to cover her body while changing.

It was useless. Seulgi thought.

Because she always got a glimpse of Joohyun’s figure.

Seulgi noticed that Joohyun did her hair. She walked closer to Joohyun. “You do your hair?”

Joohyun tucked some strays behind her ear. “D—Does it look bad?”

Seulgi laughed. “Bad? What are you talking about? You look b—“

She stopped for a moment, the smile on her face disappeared.

“Beautiful.” Seulgi managed to finish her words. She asked herself the reason why she said it. She was afraid that it would make her seemed weird in front of Joohyun.

She saw Joohyun gasped, and looked like she would leave Seulgi.

Seulgi thought that she scared the shorter girl. And it did not make the situation better when Seulgi said,

I like it, Joohyun.”

 

---

 

Seulgi could not sleep that night. She had too many thought inside her head that her eyes refused to close. The bunk bed was shaky; it was not the first time. She assumed that it was just Joohyun who was probably changed her position or something.

But it was the first time she heard a sob from the girl who slept above.

Joohyun.” She called her as the certain girl started to cry harder. Seulgi took a step on the stairs to Joohyun’s bed. She saw her. Seulgi saw Joohyun embraced herself; face was wet because of her tears.

“Hey.”

 When Seulgi said that she noticed that she was already lying beside the girl. “It’s okay, Joohyun. I’m here.”

This made Seulgi realized that her roommate was just a fragile, innocent girl; it made her realized that she had to protect Bae Joohyun no matter what.

That was why Seulgi pulled her closer into her embrace, as she drove Joohyun back to sleep.

 

---

 

“Seulgi!”

The one girl that got called diverted her attention from her sketchbook to the one who called her.

“What’s up, Joy?” Seulgi greeted.

Joy was still panting she gave a finger in front of Seulgi’s face as a sign that she had to wait for a second before she finally talked.

“We found it.”

“Found what?”

Seulgi’s question left unanswered because Joy grabbed her wrist and pulled her somewhere.

“Where are we heading to?” Seulgi whined.

“Remember the gay club we were talking?”

“I do—wait, don’t tell me…”

Joy smirked when they arrived in front of the school old storeroom. She saw Yerim who was peeking through the closed—dusty window.

Seulgi’s eyes probably could be wider when she saw the person she least expected.

“I know,” Joy spoke. “I also did not expect that Wendy is one of them.”

No.

Not Wendy. But the one who sat beside her.

“Joohyun,” she mumbled.

She knew that Joohyun made friends with those girls. But she really did not expect that Joohyun was…gay.

Or maybe it was just her.

She was too blind to see that Joohyun was actually a lesbian; she was too blind because she did not want to believe that her innocent roommate was like that. Also, Seulgi always thought that Joohyun was too good to be true, by the fact that she is.

“What are you doing here!?”

Seulgi’s mind crushed when she heard a firm voice. It was the senior.

Joy and Yerim were already hiding behind her.

“Do you guys come here to judge us just like the other people do?” the other girl said.

The three of them kept it quite. They did not know what to say to their one senior. Perhaps, it was not the three of them. Because Seulgi was thinking about what she had to say to Joohyun. When their eyes met, she could see a disappointment in the latter’s eyes. So, Seulgi looked down at the ground.

“What’s wrong, fella? Lost of words?” One of the seniors spoke sarcastically.

It took a few seconds until Seulgi lifted her head. “No,” she denied. “We are here to join you.”

“What!?” Yerim and Joy were very shocked by Seulgi’s sudden statement. Seulgi’s eyes bugged out at her two friends, so they could shut their mouth.

“For real?” Wendy was the one who talked now.

Seulgi stared at Wendy and smiled. “For real.”

Maybe I could play around a little. Seulgi thought as her eyes landed on Joohyun.

 

---

 

They bid goodbye at each other.

Well, Joy promised that she would kill Seulgi when the latter was not looking. But Seulgi just said, “come on! We probably will enjoy this.”

Joy scoffed before Yerim was pulling her into their shared room.

Seulgi grinned when she saw Joohyun was about to insert the key into their keyhole.

“Joohyun!” She tapped Joohyun’s back. It startled the girl, causing her to fall down.

Unlike the first time, Seulgi stretched her arm to help Joohyun as they went into the room.

Joohyun had not talked to Seulgi since the latter and her friends decided to join the secret club. And it bothered Seulgi a lot.

“Joohyun, I—“

“Why did you do that?”

It was the first time Joohyun cut her off, and she was shocked. But Kang Seulgi was smart enough to control her expression to a mischievous one.

“Are you mad at me?” She smirked.

Joohyun rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” She opened her closet doors and started to change her uniform into more comfortable clothes. She stopped when suddenly, Seulgi pinned her against the wall. Her petite figure was trapped between the taller girl’s arms. The smirk did not leave Seulgi’s face as she tracked her eyes down to Joohyun’s body that only covered by her undergarment. She moved her left arm from the wall to Joohyun’s bare waist. Her eyes were staring at Joohyun’s pair.

Does this make your heart flutter?” Seulgi said inside her mind. “Don’t you know that I always got a glimpse of you every time you change your clothes between this closet’s doors?”

Seulgi sounded huskier than usual. And Joohyun could not help herself to blush, which was why she pushed her off.

That was not end there when Seulgi stole a kiss from her—a pair of soft lips on Joohyun’s lips.

That it was Seulgi’s.

When Seulgi broke the kiss, Joohyun ran to the bathroom inside their room as fast as she could. Seulgi was still standing there.

“Why did I do that?” She mumbled as she touched her own lips.

Too far.

She thought.

 

---

 

It was happened. And Seulgi could not do anything about it.

Six months passed. It got into her nerve when she discovered that Joy and Yerim were dating for real.

I guess, Joy took my advance to enjoy this a little bit far.” Her mind said.

And since the day she stole a kiss from Joohyun. The certain girl completely stopped talking to her. Seulgi still sometime, but it was fun no more because she barely got a response from her roommate.

“Maybe, you too much that she takes you as annoying already.” Kwon Yuri—one of the seniors in their club said.

It obviously did not help.

She tried to figure it out by herself, but she could not. Until one day, another senior from the club was aware of Seulgi’s different attitude and decided to talk to the younger.

Her name was Kim Taeyeon, baby faced, angelic voice; she was perfect. For Seulgi, she could be trusted more than anyone else. That was why she did not refuse to listen when Taeyeon said, “Maybe, just maybe, Joohyun fell in love with you that she did not like it when you and play with her heart like that.”

“What do you mean?”

“I was saying,” Taeyeon smiled. “What do you actually feel?”

She stood up; Seulgi frowned as she watched the older’s back.

“Joohyun is also human, Seulgi. Don’t play with people’s heart. They only have one.” Taeyeon said before she really disappeared from Seulgi’s sight.

Seulgi was not going back to her room that night. She was staying at Wendy’s. After all the words she receives from Taeyeon, she could not face Joohyun just like nothing happened.

Did Joohyun really fell for her?

“What do I actually feel?” She repeated Taeyeon’s words. “Wendy.”

The girl who was strumming her guitar stopped and immediately looked at her friend. “What?”

“Do you think Joohyun likes me?”

Wendy’s eyes widened before she burst into a loud laugh. Seulgi groaned and threw a pillow to Wendy’s face.

“I’m serious!”

Wendy tried to stop laughing. “I’m sorry. But, what I saw is that you are the one who likes her.”

“Me!? Are you kidding!? I-“

Seulgi stopped when suddenly something went through her mind. From the first day, when they met at the dorm, Seulgi was always watching Bae Joohyun. She concerned that Joohyun was always alone; she felt relief when she saw the seniors wanted to be friends with Joohyun. She wanted to protect Joohyun all the time, did not care about the risks she would get. That was the reason why she always pulled Joohyun into her embrace whenever the girl was having all those nightmares. And, that was Joohyun; she was the actual reason why Seulgi joined in the gay club. She did not want to make Joohyun saw her as a bad person.

That was all because she was in love with Joohyun.

Bae Joohyun was the first person that caught Kang Seulgi’s eyes started from the time they met. Like it or not, Seulgi had to admit it.

It was enough to make Seulgi rushed from Wendy’s room—ignoring her best friend who was yelling at her— to her shared room with Joohyun.

That was where she found her roommate was busy reading something on the desk. Seulgi did not bug it when Joohyun said her name with a questioned look.

She pushed the other girl gently onto her bed before she kissed her lips for the second time. It was longer than the first time. Seulgi realized; she would not get enough of Joohyun. Her kisses—everything. They were staring at each other. None of them initiated to get out from their current position.

Because none of them wanted to move.

 

“I’m sorry if you think that I’ve been playing with you this whole time.” Seulgi ran her fingers on Joohyun’s reddened cheek. “But, I really— really love you, Bae Joohyun.”

“I should’ve realized it sooner.” Seulgi chuckled on her own dumbness.

She looked back at Joohyun.

“Hey, please, say something.” Seulgi whined. “Joohyun, I’m sorry that I-“

“Shut up, and kiss me.”

Seulgi mouth left opened when she heard what Joohyun just said. Joohyun had her arms around Seulgi’s neck that brought the girl on top her back to her sense.

“At your service, baby girl.”

Seulgi leaned down to capture Joohyun’s lips.

She thought that she probably had to thank her father, because he was the one who sent her into this school.

It led her to meet her happiness and delight, which happened to be a girl.

A shy, and extremely beautiful girl named Bae Joohyun.

 

**

a/n: I don’t really have something to say but, leave your opinion below. I really like to read your thoughts.

Until then,

Farewell.