FINAL: THE ARRANGEMENT

Coalesce

 

“Sir, our stocks here at our main branch in San Francisco, have a marketed increase of 3.04%, while the rest of our international branches have a continuous depreciating value starting from a 7.09% loss of profit….”

 

His assistant, rambled every single detail he wrote in the unorganised daily report he submitted an hour prior. He was completely oblivious to the fact that his boss is on the verge of throwing him out the window.

 

“….meanwhile, our hotels situated in the Carribean coast have been doing well compared to those in European countries….”

 

Finally fed up hearing about his company’s impending downfall, he placed his hands on his desk, successfully making a loud thud.

 

“STOP!” 

 

Jung Yonghwa took a deep breath and stared out the window. He knew he’ll get a lot of flak for this but the poor guy has got to go. Who cares if he’s his fourth assistant in two weeks? He’s nothing but a nuisance and a blabber mouth. 

 

“You may pack your stuff and go. I’ll have everything else arranged by 4pm. Thank you for your not so helpful service to the company.” He addressed.

 

“But…” 

 

“No ‘but’s, Mr. Kang. You should be thankful that I’m already letting you go in peace after what you did.” Yonghwa threatened.

 

The young professional hung his head low and left his office like a soulless being. He knew it would cost him his job but the offer to spill some confidential issues to Jung Group of Companies’ rival was too good to resist. Yonghwa felt nothing but agitation and anger as soon as the door was shut. He tore the reports to shreds and threw them across the room in rage.

 

“Whoa, whoa! Calm down, hwejangnim. Why so angry at 10am?” 

 

He didn’t have to second guess the owner of that voice. It was none other than his half-brother, Lee Jungshin.

 

“Sorry, no half-siblings allowed. Only full-blooded bros.” Yonghwa snapped. 

 

“Aww. for you man. I’m the only brother you have…that is, unless our DAD managed to you know…get another wife.” Jungshin laughed.

 

“I still have a sister.” Yonghwa reminded.

 

“Who is also a half-sibling, hyung. Oh and please. Don’t even remind me of that brat’s existence!” Jungshin exclaimed.

 

“And who are you calling a brat, you sushi-faced pighead?!” A high-pitched voice called out.

 

The two guys whirled around to see none other than the princess herself, Jung Soojung, who didn’t waste a second lounging at Jungshin to pull his hair or punch his face.

 

“HEY! Get off of me you brat! Hyung! Help me out here will you! YA!” Jungshin yelled.

 

“Oops. Sorry bro. She’s your problem, not mine.” Yonghwa laughed.

 

“Hey! I thought you said she’s your sister!” Jungshin cried.

 

“Right now she isn’t.” Yonghwa joked.

 

The two continued the traditional bickering and chase across his office while Yonghwa finally took a seat to enjoy his freshly brewed coffee. Despite being born to the same father but different mothers, all three of them hit it off once their messed up family tree came into light. Their mothers, however, divulged in those makjang reactions. They even tried dragging in their children, but the three saw no need to harbour animosity towards each other.

 

Yonghwa and Soojung were both from Jung Donghyun’s first and fifth wife. Lee Jungshin, however, was a product of an affair that conglomerate dad of theirs had with his first love in high school. Jungshin’s mother wanted him to adapt the Jung last name but his grandfather wouldn’t allow it so he stuck with “Lee.” The inheritance was not an issue to all three as they mutually decided to give the largest share to Yonghwa and equally divided the rest. 

 

“Can you two shut up and help me here? I’m at my wit’s end. I don’t know what else to do to save the company.” Yonghwa sighed.

 

“We’d gladly help you oppa, but omma will kill me if I even lend a dollar to you and I’m sure Jungshin’s mom will do the same.” Soojung admitted.

 

“I know. I’m not asking for funds. I’m asking for ideas.” Yonghwa replied desperately.

 

“We already gave you tons of it and there’s only one option left…” Jungshin added.

 

“If it is what I’m thinking, then the answer is no.” Yonghwa sternly said.

 

“It IS what you’re thinking oppa, but do you really have a choice? It’s not that bad if you think about it, and before you argue, YES. It is the only option left. People, the media, investors, potential partners, etc etc, all want a leader with capability, stability and responsibility. I’m not saying you don’t have all three because you do but you lack the thing which solidifies all of those into one cohesive impactful image…” Soojung said.

 

“And that image is none other than being a devout and loving family man. In short, you gotta get hitched hyung, and you have to do so fast. The clock’s ticking.” Jungshin continued.

 

“What’s marriage got to do with this? Business is business! Marriage is just going to ruin the entire equation!” Yonghwa said exasperated.

 

“It won’t oppa. It’s the solution to your stupid problem. These people want a happy family man to be convinced that you really have the best interest for them. Business is business and so will your marriage be.” Soojung stressed.

 

“To top it off, you have to marry a true blooded South Korean woman at that. Whether you like it or not, right now, Korea has the all the resources you need for the expansion you’ve been working on these past five years. 

 

You have two options: the Cinderella story where chaebol marries a commoner, OR the typical chaebol meets chaebol princess. Marrying a celebrity or a prominent public figure wouldn’t be of help in this situation. They’re more likely attention , so if I were you, I’d go with the second option. Go pick a chaebol princess and strike a deal with her. It won’t be that hard for you, hyung. You’re a Jung. Even our ‘ol man can use up his charms so why can’t you?” Jungshin chuckled.

 

“He doesn’t even have to pick a chaebol princess you pighead. I’m sure our eldest bro already has a specific lady in mind….” Soojung smiled knowingly. 

 

As if on cue, the two younger Jungs laughed before turning to their brother with that wicked smile on their face:

 

“SEO JOOHYUN.” 

 

Yonghwa’s mind was instantly filled with flashbacks of her, and everything else regarding her. He’d prefer to rationalise his increasing heart rate to be directly proportional to anger, but all three of them knew otherwise. 

 

“ NO. Anyone, but her!” 

 

At his expected outburst, the two laughed to their heart’s content. They got up but before they made their exit, Soojung looked back at her troubled brother and said,

 

“Someone once told me that the best and most tragic way to destroy their enemy is by making them fall in love. While you’re at it, do take advantage of her prestige and wealth too…”

 

“Just so you know, you’ve got millions of lives resting on your shoulders. See ya, hyung! Better start working on that proposal!” 

 

Jung Yonghwa wanted to hit the two with whatever it is he’d lay his hands on, but he knew that it was pointless. They’re right. He needed to save his company or else his own father will have his head served on a silver platter. Not to mention, he’s got thousands, if not millions of lives, depending on his decisions. He can’t risk losing it all, so might as well lose his pride and go after the girl. He’s going to need all the luck he can get.

 

*******************************************************************************************************

 

“Ugh. NO. He’s old, not to mention, bald! How can you even suggest him, unnie? NEXT!” 

 

Choi Sooyoung continued with her research and impromptu presentation of probable ‘husbands.’ Two hours later, every single suggestion was certified null and void. 

 

“It’s impossible for any guy to match up your impeccably high standards, Ms. Seo! Aish! For the love of food and Gucci, please, just pick one already! It’s not even a big deal, Seohyun-ah.” Sooyoung surrendered as she plopped herself in the couch.

 

“How can marriage not be a big deal to you unnie? You, of all people! Just because you got yourself a prince charming doesn’t mean you can ignore the rest of us! and let us settle with the frogs.” Seohyun whined.

 

“To me, it is, but for you, who is just marrying for the sake of image branding and securing her company, it shouldn’t be. It’s not even for real, Hyunnie. Just a marriage of convenience. A business venture per se. You need someone of an equal status or risk losing your share to those sharks who we all know are only in it for the money.” Sooyoung reminded.

 

“UGH! I hate this! Why does harabeoji and omma let those ugly, pathetic, and useless board members bully them into agreeing to this?! Why do I have to sacrifice myself for the sake of the company that I don’t even want to inherit!” Seohyun ranted.

 

“Because aside from the fact that you’re the only legitimate heir of the Seo clan, you can’t stand leaving a lot of people and families unemployed once the company gets into the hands of greedy, selfish, and close-minded people. You’re too soft-hearted and concerned Hyunnie. Sometimes I wonder how in the world did you manage to survive in this world that we live in, but every time I start to have doubts, you prove me wrong. 

 

Now I don’t want to go all sentimental on you, not to mention, I’m famished, so it’s either you make your choice right now or I’ll leave you on your own to think about it.” Sooyoung continued.

 

“Ya, two hours and you two still couldn’t agree on a guy? I don’t know why you bothered to waste those precious minutes going over their Wikipedia profiles when clearly, our dearest beloved cousin already has a chaebol in mind…” Hyoyeon laughed.

 

“And who would that chaebol be? Ya, Kim Hyoyeon! How could you keep such vital information from me?! You let me do all the talking while you just slept there like a log!” Sooyoung complained.

 

“Hey, I wasn’t the one who got all giddy and hyped over choosing Seohyun’s groom. You got yourself into this.” Hyoyeon replied.

 

“Yeah well, whatever. So, who’s the guy?” 

 

“He’s no one, unnie. Forget it. Why don’t we all go grab something to eat? My treat!” Seohyun chirped.

 

“Whoa, wait a minute. You’re being weird. Aha! So there IS a guy! Who’s this chaebol you speak of?!” Sooyoung interrogated.

 

“It’s a Korean-American dude…” Hyoyeon hinted.

 

“UNNIE!” Seohyun warned.

 

“SEO JOOHYUN!” Sooyoung threatened.

 

“FINE! It’s Jung Yonghwa!” 

 

“WHAT?! When? How? Why? You gotta tell unnie! Wait. Are we talking about THAT Jung Yonghwa? The one you had a consistent battle of pride with? Omo, come to think of it, he really IS the perfect husband-to-be! Why didn’t you tell me earlier? Everything about him and your situation is perfect. Plus, I heard his company is in dire need to break into the Korean market and you’re the headliner for his expansion proposal. Kyaaa! This must be destiny!” The tall girl swooned.

 

“More like, insanity. Drop it, unnie, and let’s go. We’ll talk about this tomorrow.” 

 

Seohyun wouldn’t admit it to them but Yonghwa was the first to come to mind when she was slapped with this unreasonable clause to get married at the age of twenty six or lose her shares to the rest of the board members. 

 

She’d thought of ways to lure him in but every time she almost executed her plans, she remembered everything else that happened between them - the smear campaigns, showing off wealth, etc etc..but most of all, it’s the memory of that summer camp that serves as a deal breaker. 

 

No way would she risk her heart again, and even if she did, anyone else but him. 

 

 

**************************************************************************************************************

 

“Relax, oppa. Why are you so tensed? It’s not like this is the first time you’re seducing a woman, right?” Soojung laughed.

 

“I’m not seducing anyone, most especially, not Seo Joohyun. I’m doing this entirely for the sake of my reputation and my employees’ welfare.” He denied.

 

“Yeah whatever you say oppa. Just don’t screw this up, okay? I insult you a lot and all that, but you know that I still love you right? If I don’t, I would’ve suggested some random gold digging and overbearing biatch but I still want the best for you that’s why I’ll make sure your marriage with Seohyun unnie will push through regardless of everything!” She encouraged.

 

Yonghwa looked at her suspiciously and asked,

 

“Since when did Hyun become your unnie?”

 

“Since when did she become your “Hyun?” Soojung asked him back.


“Touche.” Yonghwa answered. 

 

“Since you decided to marry her, she’s my unnie! Besides, who do you think provided her all those info?” Soojung said. 

 

“WHY YOU BRAT! How could you betray your own flesh and blood?!” Yonghwa pretended to be mad though he knew that his sister was the one who supported his arch nemesis during those times they were in an intense competition.

 

“Stop being dramatic oppa. You’re too old for that and besides, I know you still have the hots for unnie. Can’t blame you though. She’s like the definition of perfect aside from me. Don’t even bother denying, CEO-nim. I know what happened during your summer fling and I read your journal too by the way. 

 

You wouldn’t believe how surprised I was to find out that my cool eldest oppa keeps a diary! I think I even gave Seohyun unnie a copy….”

 

“JUNG SOOJUNG!!!!!!”

 

“Oops, gotta go! Goodluck oppa! Say hi to my future sis-in-law!” Soojung said as she ran off to her car.

 

Yonghwa took a deep breath and strode inside the building. This is it.

 

 

**************************************************************************************************************

 

“Listen, I need you to marry me.” Yonghwa said directly.

 

“I’m sorry, but what did you say? Can you please repeat that, Mr. Jung?” Seohyun asked, trying not to choke on her tea. 

 

To say that she was surprised was an understatement. She was and still is, completely bewildered that Jung Yonghwa showed up out of nowhere and suddenly demanding that he needed to talk to her this instant. Not even five minutes after they’ve had unnecessary introductions and sat down for a ‘chat’ did he pop the question.

 

“You heard me, I won’t repeat myself.” He said smugly.

 

“Just in case you forgot Mr. Jung, you’re within my premises. This is my territory so either you up your pride and do as I asked, or get the hell out of here and never show your ridiculous face to me ever again.” She taunted.

 

“Fine. I said, I need you to marry me. Got it?” 

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“You’re excused.”

 

“You’re rude.” 

 

“And almost bankrupt.”

 

“What?”

 

“Bankrupt. Well, not really but I’ll end up that way if you refused to listen to your conscience and agree with me. I still have more than enough to keep the expenses afloat for now. I just can’t manage some issues on my own. 

 

I’ll keep this simple and short: if I want to keep the company at the top of the game, I need to get married. Ridiculous isn’t it? Oh and my dongsaengs did say that it has something to do too with getting back to my roots or heritage whatsover. So, what do you say?”

 

“I say you’ve got the wrong girl. I can’t help you Jung Yonghwa and even if I can, I refuse.” Seohyun said as she put her cup down and stood up. 

 

Yonghwa immediately caught her hand and to her surprise, he got on his knees to beg.

 

“You can’t. Please, Hyun. I need you now more than ever.” 

 

The sight of him looking so broken ignited all those feelings she thought were lost and never to be found. Everything else faded into nothingness and all she could see was the boy she once fell in love with. The only boy she ever gave her heart to. She thought that boy was long gone, but now she knew that boy grew up to be the man she’s always wanted and knew he would be. 

 

Why does he always have to do this to her? How could he effortlessly throw her off balance and turn her world upside down? More importantly, does he really intend to squeeze himself during this crucial timing? But the biggest question of it all, is how come he’s the only man who has the power to unravel and complete her all at once? 

 

She remembered that last meeting they had before they engaged into an all-out campaign to destroy each other. All those details that seemed vague now became crystal clear in her memory. The way the rain poured, how sweet his kisses were, how she felt like coming home whenever he took her in his arms, those tears they shed as they said goodbye, and that last thing he told her before walking out of her life:

 

“Maybe one day we’ll meet again, when we’re different people….when you’re not a Seo and I’m not a Jung…perhaps we’ll meet as strangers..just ordinary people with ordinary jobs. Whether in this life or the next, I don’t know. I’d prefer if it’ll be in this, but who am I to dictate my fate? Maybe we’ll meet again when we’re not who we are right now. Maybe then, we’ll be better for each other…”

 

She didn’t realize her eyes were shut tight until she felt him tug on her hand.

 

“I know what happened between us after that time in summer was crazy…stupid…I made a lot of mistakes and I apologize for all of it. But right now, I need you. You’re the only one who could help me. You of all people, know what’s it like to be me, so please…I don’t know what else to say…but…marry me. It’s not a question, Hyun.”

 

She should be annoyed with how insincere and haughty he sounded but coming from Jung Yonghwa, she knew that it must’ve been a near-death experience for him to swallow his pride and do this right now. She took him by the hand so now they were standing face-to-face.

 

“Fine.” She heaved.

 

“Fine as in yes you’ll marry me?” He clarified.

 

“Fine as in “I’ll think about it.”” She replied.

 

“What’s there to think about, Hyun? We need each other. You have nothing much to lose but everything to gain. It’s a win-win situation for all of us.” He whined.

 

Unbelievable. One second he was begging her and now he’s being demanding? 

 

“Look. Statistics and research studies prove that fixed marriages are more likely to succeed nowadays than those who marry out of emotional impulse. With clear expectations in mind, we don’t have to feel butthurt if the other disappointed the other because there are no obligations aside from what was agreed upon. As long as we stick to the arrangement and keep it up until the expiry date then all is well. Viola. Presto. No problemo. Got it?”

 

Feeling all riled up with his intellectualization of their reality and what is to come, she took a step closer to him and gave him a determined stare.

 

“4 things Jung Yonghwa: First, marriage is something I consider as sacred regardless of the circumstances. I wouldn’t be in this situation if not for the people who need me to act like an adult instead of a selfish, conniving as you once falsely accused me to be. Second, YOU need ME more than I need you. As a matter of fact, I don’t need you at all, so it’s either you work your off to convince me to accept your not so invigorating proposal or pick someone else who’d jump into your arms and say yes. 

 

Third, you are to address me by my title. If that’s too much, then calling me by my FULL NAME is required. We are not on first name basis and I doubt we’ll ever be. Nicknames aren’t allowed either.

 

Lastly, please make sure to iron your clothes the next time you dare show your face to me. Do something about that fringe too, will you? It’s all over the place. You look like a homeless thug waiting to be picked up by the social services.”

 

Seohyun got up and opened the door for him. Annoyed and humiliated, he got up on his feet and made his way out. When he was in the middle of the hallway, Seohyun called out loud enough for the rest of the people to hear:

 

“Mr. Jung! Don’t forget to zip up!” 

 

He felt his face flush as he fumbled over his zipper only to find out it’s locked in place safely. He was shooting daggers at her through his eyes but his anger immediately dissipated when Seohyun was on the verge of hysteria, laughing her heart out without much care to her image.

 

“Omo Jung Yonghwa-sshi. How can you be so gullible?” 

Not one to back down from a fight, he stormed his way back to her and pulled her by the waist until their faces were only an inch apart. He looked at her eyes and her lips before moving in to whisper in her ear,

 

“I’ll show you who’s gullible, HYUN. By the end of the week you will be my wife and that’s final.” 

 

He stole a quick kiss on her cheek before leaving the premises with a triumphant smile on his face. Let the game begin.

 

***************************************************************************************************************

 

True to his word, he never left her side until she gave him the time of the day. He knew that victory was at hand when she finally relented and agreed to have dinner with him in his apartment. She was expecting him to impress her with the finest cuisine prepared by the most renowned chef in the country, but to her surprise, she walked in on him doing the entire kitchen duties all by himself.

 

The image of him in his expensive Armani suit donned with an apron, with a kitchen utensil in hand was enough to melt her on the spot. She felt nineteen again with all the secret glances, the giddy feelings, and trying to tame the butterflies in her stomach. Seeing him that way made her yearning for him intensify and little did she know that tears were already streaming down her beautiful face.

 

They shared the meal in silence, not knowing how to break the ice. Without speaking a word, they continued to clear up the dishes and afterwards, decide to have a talk while sitting on opposite ends of the table. 

 

Whether she’ll regret it or not, she said the words before she could even stop herself from doing so:

“Okay.” 

 

“O-okay, what?” He inquired.

 

“I will accept your proposal if you agree to my terms and conditions.” Seohyun cleared .

 

“Fire away.” Yonghwa said as he reclined comfortably in his seat.

 

“I”ll agree to invest in your company and give you the support you require in order to penetrate into the South Korean market. I’ll do everything you ask me to as long as you’d do the same for me.” She began.

 

“Not a problem. You have unlimited access to everything I own at your convenience. Including me, of course.” He said.

 

She rolled her eyes at his last statement before continuing.

 

“Our marriage will be valid for a period of three years.”

 

“Make that six.” He bargained.

 

“No. Three.” She argued.

 

“Four.” He insisted.

 

“Two.” She demanded.

 

“Five.” He quickly said.

 

“Deal.” Wait, what?! Five years of marriage with Jung Yonghwa?!

 

“Wait! I didn’t mean it!” Seohyun panicked.

 

“Oops, no return no exchange policy. You agreed to five and that’s it. Next!” He chuckled.

 

“Argh! YOU! You tricked me!” Seohyun accused.

 

“I did not. Not my fault you weren’t paying close attention, Ms. Seo, or should I say, Mrs. Jung? Mrs. Jung Yonghwa to be specific.” He laughed.

 

“I hate you!” She cried.

 

“Too bad, because I’m starting to like you. In fact, I think I’m falling head over heels in love with you.” Yonghwa winked at her and smiled.

 

“And I think you’re pushing your luck too far so we’ll move on to the next condition. You have to promise you won’t fall in love with me.” She said seriously.

 

Yonghwa looked at her intently before bursting out in laughter.

 

“I wasn’t trying to be funny.” Seohyun pouted.

 

“I know. But I can’t help it. You look cute.” Yonghwa said as he tried to lean over to pinch her cheeks.

 

“I don’t.” Seohyun said as she slapped his hand away.

 

“Yes you do. Have I told you that you look breathtakingly beautiful too? Not just tonight but every second since I first laid my eyes on you…and that was when? Seven years ago?” 

 

One second he’s goofing around like a choding and now he’s sweeping her off her feet.

 

“Why does it feel like that summer all over again? Screw you Jung Yonghwa!!!” Seohyun thought to herself before saying,

 

“Enough with the crap Mr. Jung. I’m not falling for that again.” 

 

“Then don’t. Fall for me for some other reason then.” He smiled at her so hopefully that looking into his eyes proved to be an impossible task to maintain.

 

“So? Yes or no?” She said, trying to get back on track.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“What kind of answer is that?” She asked irritatedly.

 

“The kind of answer that is uncertain. Now can we move on to your next condition?” He said.

 

“Here.” Seohyun said as she slid him a pen and paper. Yonghwa looked at her blankly.

 

“I want you to write down the complete names of every girl you slept with.”

 

“You want me to write, what?!” 

 

“You heard me. I won’t repeat myself.” She mimicked his tone.

 

Without a word, he scribbled quickly on the paper, folded it into a plane and threw it at her. How childish of him. Just as she bent down to pick it up, he was faster than the speed of light as he took it and handed it to her like a gentleman would. 

 

Again, screw him for being so perfectly imperfect. Screw her too for still pining over this guy. She unfolded the paper only to curl it into a ball and harshly aim it at him. 

 

“OW! What the hell?!”

 

“I never slept with you, moron!”

 

“Yes you did! That time we got lost in the woods during the summer camp!” He reminded her.

 

“But we just literally slept and nothing more!” She told him.

 

“Yeah I know and that’s the closest I got to being “intimate” with a member of the female species.” He said.

 

“You expect me to believe you’ve been celibate during your twenty eight years of existence?!” Seohyun laughed mockingly.

 

“Look. I know about those diseases and stuff, not to mention, I’m so done with my father being such a . I’m not like him and I never will be.” He admitted.

 

There was a moment of silence and she knew that he was telling the truth. 

 

“Second to the last: I want a romantic proposal and wedding; and yes, before you insult me, I am that kind of girl.” Seohyun said.

 

“I wasn’t going to insult you Hyun and even if you didn’t ask, I’ll still give you that. It’s the least I could do for you. You deserve it. So, any more conditions?” 

 

“Yes. My final condition is: this marriage shall not be consummated. We can sleep in the same bed but you shall never force me against my will or pressure me to engage in unlawful ual act.” 

 

“WHAT?!” 

 

“You had no trouble leading a ‘pure’ lifestyle, Mr. Jung. I think you’ve mastered the art of abstinence. This shouldn’t be a problem for you. Now, is it a deal or no deal?” 

 

“Really, Hyun? You intend to resist THIS?!” Yonghwa exclaimed as he pointed to his biceps and had a split second show of his abs.

 

Seohyun couldn’t stop herself from blushing but pride ruled over as she insisted that she can live without it.

 

“I’ll agree to your ridiculous final condition on one term.” He bargained.

 

“Fire away.” She challenged.

 

“That condition will be broken the minute you beg me for me.” 

 

“How confident. As if that’ll ever happen.” She rolled her eyes.

 

“Oh, believe me, Hyun. It will. After all, I’m irresistible just as you are. So, do we have a deal?” 

 

“Sure.” She said as she extended her hand to shake his.

 

“Perfect. It is a pleasure doing business with you, Mrs. Jung Yonghwa. I look forward to the five years times one hundred that we are to spend with each other. Should we kiss to seal the deal?”

 

“I say, let’s save it for the wedding. I’ll be expecting a dramatic proposal this time tomorrow and the rest of the wedding preparations in full speed. See you then, yeobo.”

 

 

**************************************************************************************************************

 

Just as they agreed upon, he really did give her the proposal and wedding she asked of him, if not even more. If it weren’t for the business deal they came up with, she’d think it was all for real. At least for her, it felt that way. She didn’t even hesitate to throw caution into the air and enjoyed her wedding to her heart’s desire. 

 

“So this is the lucky guy. Why hello there, Katy Perry. Nice to finally get to meet you.” Sooyoung said as she shook the groom’s hand.

 

“Katy Perry?” Yonghwa looked at Seohyun with a huge question mark all over his expression.

 

“Yeah. Joohyun’s Katy. Took us awhile to find out who you were, but everything else just clicked into place.” Hyoyeon added.

 

“UNNIE!” Seohyun hissed.

 

“What? You’re married. Forget about the business shizz because in all honesty, you two really compliment each other. Granted, you were at each other’s throat for half a decade but I think it’s just unresolved attraction and overwhelming chemistry.” Hyoyeon laughed.

 

“Now that you’ve got the guy, you wouldn’t be belting that Katy song on replay.”

 

“I’m kinda lost..?” Yonghwa interrupted.

 

“Oh, sorry Yong seobang. What we meant to say was, you’re the guy in uri Hyunnie’s journals. The guy who is the subject of 98% of her journal entries, the guy she affectionately refers to as “The One That Got Away.’ Get it? The Katy Perry reference?”

 

Hyoyeon and Sooyoung left the newlyweds before the bride herself could choke them to death. Seohyun was blushing endlessly as Yonghwa smiled like a fool. Oblivious to the couple, the groom’s brother and sister were engaged in a serious conversation.

 

“Two years.” Jungshin began.

 

“Nah. I say, one year.” Soojung said.

 

“Whatever. All I know is it’ll take two years before uri hyung mans up and decides to make this marriage for real.” 

 

“The marriage is already real, oppa. What needs to be worked on are their stubbornness and ability to own up to their feelings. Twelve months, tops.”

 

“Let’s just wait and see.”

 

“I agree. So, may the best Jung win?”

 

“Deal.”

 

**************************************************************************************************************

 

A month passed, and two. Another rolled by quickly and as far as status and wealth were concerned, their marriage did wonders for their respective businesses. Everything else was in a speedy progress except their relationship. 

 

One time, during a visit, his siblings caught them in the middle of an argument.

 

“But Yong! I want it painted with a pastel color! Blue, pink and yellow in lighter shades plus a sky wallpaper for the ceiling!” She whined.

 

“I want it in gold and red!” Yonghwa argued.

 

“But that’s so flashy and ugly!” She said.

 

“Ahrasseo. Sky wallpaper and yellow it is.” Yonghwa conceded. With that, Seohyun jumped into his arms and rained kisses on his face before gushing over to Soojung to start with the renovation of their recently constructed newlywed house (a gift from Jungshin of course).

 

“You really let her have her way, hyung? Jinjja?” Jungshin asked in disbelief.

 

“Yeah.” Yonghwa said, his eyes never leaving that of his wife.

 

“But why?” Jungshin asked curiously.

 

“Sometimes, I just have to let her win, because losing the argument is easier than losing her.” Yonghwa smiled unconsciously.

 

“Whoaaaa. Uri hyung is a changed man! Hurrah!” Jungshin celebrated.

 

“Jashik. Go set up the table and make yourself useful.” 

 

Jungshin decided to just let his hyung have the final say, but not without coughing out the word “whipped” in between his chores. 

 

 

**************************************************************************************************************

 

Their first year anniversary was coming up. He prepared something lavish for the event but at the end of the day, he knew that she felt there was something missing. He could prolong this charade for four more years until their deadline was up, but being the savvy and realistic minded person that he is, he knew that he couldn’t waste another day without being upfront and honest about his feelings. It’s now or never.

 

“Uh, I think you’re supposed to take a left turn there, Yong. You missed it.” Seohyun said.

 

“Jinjja? Why didn’t you tell me earlier?!” He tried to sound annoyed.

 

“I fell asleep. I’m sorry.” She apologized.

 

He didn’t miss the sadness in her voice and he felt even more nervous and excited at the same time. He kept his mouth shut even when she began her endless tirade of questions about their destination and etc etc.

 

He parked the car in a familiar place and that’s when her heart started to pound uncontrollably. He got down to open the door for her and finally ushered her out like a gentleman, only to put a blindfold on her. Once they reached the place, he untied the cloth covering her eyes. It took her a couple of seconds to adjust to the light until everything else dawned in on her: this setup. This meadow. This was where they exchanged the first and last “I love you’s.”

 

This was a far cry from the elaborate and grandiose party they held earlier to celebrate their first year as husband and wife, and yet this was the one that made her cry. It felt nostalgic and romantic all at once and she couldn’t decide on anything yet because of the overwhelming emotions. She closed her eyes and tried to remember everything about that day.

 

“Hy~un…” 

 

The way he gently called out her name made her open her eyes. She thought the memory of the past was bittersweet but it is only at this second that she realised her reality is far better than her dreams.

 

“I..I don’t know what to say..? Uh, happy anniversary?” She said in between her tears. She knew it was lame but it was the best that she could come up with right now.

 

“Then let me do the talking, Hyun…” Yonghwa took a deep breath before he handed her a shovel.

 

“It’s time.” He signalled as he started to dig into a certain spot. 

 

Still confused and overwhelmed, she did the same thing too until their shovel hit something hard. He pulled that thing out of the ground and she gasped upon recognizing the familiar object. The time capsule they buried during that fateful and unforgettable summer. 

 

“I know we’re supposed to open this together but forgive me because I opened it a day earlier. Heck, it took me four hours digging around before I found this thing!” Yonghwa admitted. Seohyun chuckled and thought he looked so cute.

 

“Anyway, the point is….uh…aish…how do I begin?..uh…eight years ago, on this very place and day, a boy and a girl fell in love. But life was cruel and decided it wasn’t their time yet. The next years that followed after that was chaotic and painful but it was a necessary phase in their lives. 

 

For the past eight years, no matter how much I deny it, the truth is, you flooded my thoughts every second of every day…I didn’t know how to swim but that’s okay. I wanted to be that guy for you, Hyun but I was afraid and insecure. I thought you deserved better. Who am I kidding? I should’ve known earlier that I’m the best and only man for you and to be honest, you’re also that for me.


Aish. I at this romance thing, don’t I? I’m trying Hyun, so please don’t laugh at me just yet. I spent hours watching those sh*tty chick flicks just to get a clue on how to confess to a girl but they’re all useless! All I can say is..uh..You read more than you loved. Your favorite songs told me more about you than you ever did.

 

Half the days, you’d ignore me. The other half, your shy smile when I say a cheesy line or a stupid joke made my week. I wanted to understand you, I wanted to read every book you’d ever read and understand how in hell your world could be less important than the ones you dived into everyday. I can’t understand how you don’t see the stars in your beautiful eyes or the sun in your smile or the music in your voice but all I can think is, that if you were a book, I’d never put you down. I’d never want to let you down…and that’s exactly what would happen if I choose to ignore my gut feeling and keep up with the act.

 

This isn’t just a business deal for me anymore. I refuse to let you believe that this marriage is nothing but a fixed arrangement to benefit our companies because although it may have started that way, I’m taking matters into my hands for the rest of it to change. 

 

I’ve been in love with you for years and I’ve fallen for you every day since you agreed to become my wife. I don’t care if you wake up with a bloated face, with a visible drool left on our pillows, your hair all over the place…I don’t…but I care if you tell me that you want the same thing as I do. That you’re in love with me too..

 

I love you, Seo Joohyun,..I don’t mean I love you like the way I love my coffee with two sugar cubes or the way I love an extra ten minutes of sleep or the way I love your homemade chicken soup on a cold day. I love you in a way I’ve never loved anyone before, not even myself. I love you in a way that consumes me. 

 

I don’t want to be cheesy and say you complete me because, well, you don’t. I don’t think anyone needs to be ‘completed’ by another person. I’m perfectly fine on my own and so are you…but I’m not going to lie to you - you definitely fill in some empty spaces and I’m really grateful for that. 

 

In short, I love you. I really do. So now…” 

 

He paused as he took a velvet box from the capsule, got on one knee, and opened it. 

 

“this…I bought this eight years ago and buried it here. I knew that one day we’ll be back here and this entire thing would happen. With or without the company crisis, I knew that we were meant to be. Ya, don’t laugh and say it’s corny because I know you believed in us too…so, what do you say? Uh…Seo Joohyun. Hyun…will you marry me? Please? For real this time? I mean, will you marry me again?”

 

Too busy crying tears of joy, she could only nod her head and reach out to give him her hand. Once he slid the ring on her finger, he took her in his arms and spun her around.

 

“I love you too Yong, and even if you didn’t do all this, I’d have done the same for you. Aish, you beat me to it again! I was planning to do it on your birthday!” She smiled.

 

“That’s okay Hyun. I’ve got other things in mind for a perfect birthday gift….” He wiggled his eyebrows.

 

“Whatever. The last condition stands.” She said.

 

“Not anymore. Besides, wouldn’t you want a mini me and a mini you soon?” 

 

“Not now. I’d rather have you first. Happy anniversary.” 

 

“Happy anniversary indeed.” 

 

 

The end.

 

A/N:

 

Nothing much but as i said, i needed to unleash the fluffy feels so here goes this oneshot. Rushed and unedited. It was tempting to convert this or expand it to a mini-series but I still have two to worry about for now. Anyway, that's all.

Thanks. ^^