6.

Stars Appear

six.

Kyuhyun was cautious, eyeing the restless horse in the stall across from him in the stable, pure white and sharp horn on its head doing nothing to calm his nerves. He had never been good with animals back in Wall, and Siwons two stallions were already proving to be a handful for him, never mind the frantic pacing of the unfamiliar horse.

Eventually he managed to lead his two horses in their own stalls, both fed and settled when an odd boy pushed open the stable doors, hurrying in from the rain with a tray shielded by his coat. Without a word he continued on his path, stopping right before Kyuhyun, who gave him an awkward wave in greeting.

“Hello...?”

Rather than a greeting in return Kyuhyun was met with the tray being shoved into his face, cup wobbling dangerously as the boy refused to meet his questioning gaze, eyes fixed firmly on the ground by his feet.

“Oh, uh, thank you very much.” Kyuhyun finally broke the awkward silence once more, taking the cup from the boy who merely nodded, rushing right back out into the rainstorm. Although the boy had been an odd sight, gone as fast as he had come, Kyuhyun decided to pay no more mind to him – the steaming drink just what he had be needing to sooth the chill of his damp clothes.

As he brought the sweet smelling liquid up to his lips the horse behind him neighed loudly, horse now pawing the ground frantically before the sound of splintering wood filled the room as it broke out its way out of the stall with a forceful kick. With the stall door open it rushed at Kyuhyun, the man barely jumping out of the way as the cup tumbled out of his grip, horse stopping to stand beside him.

With a gasp Kyuhyun watched the goblet fall to the ground, liquid hissing as it burnt its way through the thick layer of hay on the floor.

“What the... oh gods, Siwon!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, rushing out into the rain to get to the other man before it was too late.

 

*´¨`*

 

“Wh-What do you want from me?” Ryeowook whimpered, trying to slide his way along to wall toward the front door. The woman just tutted, running the sharp blade between her fingertips.

“What on earth could I possibly want a fallen star for Ryeowook? Surely you know the fate of your other fallen brothers and sisters.” she grinned, green fire starting to grow around her, beginning to catch the inn alight.

“...you're a witch.” Ryeowook whispered, eyes widening in fear as the flames started to spread to the walls beside him, forcing him back towards the centre of the room.

“Ohhh, not just any witch; one of the most powerful this realm has ever seen. Definitely stronger than some measly little star will ever be able to stop.” She laughed, before an odd frown crossed her face, staring as she felt the fear coursing through Ryeowooks body.

“So much fear... and it took so much effort to get you shining so bright earlier...” she sighed, sliding her hand down to the blades handle. “At least I can be consoled with the fact your heart is so pure it will be worth a good century or so until the next star falls.” the witch finally added as she began to advance on a cowering Ryeowook, wielding her blade with a maniacal grin.

She had managed to cross half the room, flames at Ryeowook forcing him even closer towards her when the front door suddenly slammed open, Kyuhyun stumbling in with a shout of Siwons name.

The witch growled, turning her focus to the sudden interruption. “I see that idiot of a boy managed to screw up with your drink. I'll just have to do everything myself.” she hissed, Kyuhyuns alarmed gaze going from Siwons body on the floor to the woman now advancing on him, sidestepping quickly as flames flared up where he was just stood.

“K-Kyuhyun...” Ryeowook choked out in a whimper, Kyuhyuns attention snapping to the other man at the call of his name. Ryeowook watched as shock flooded through Kyuhyuns face, sagging slightly in relief before panic retook him, quickly moving around the burning furniture to put himself between Ryeowook and the witch.

“I'm sorry for running away...this is all my fault...” Ryeowook sobbed, grabbing onto Kyuhyuns damp coat as the other man tried to shield them both from the flames growing around them and the evil woman stalking across from where they were cornered, now blocking the doorway Kyuhyun had entered from.

“Don't worry Ryeowook, I'm sure this is not your fault.” Kyuhyun replied, placing his hand firmly over Ryeowooks, attempting to reassure the shaking man. “It’s okay, I'm going to get us out of here.”

“How?” Ryeowook sobbed, gaze focused on the witch as her grin widened, moving slowly between the couches as she closed in on them. He fought back tears as she got even closer, only a few feet away from them as Kyuhyun fumbled awkwardly with the inside of his coat. “She's a witch; we cannot stop her alone.”

“We're not alone, I just need you to trust me.” Kyuhyun grunted, turning his back on the witch to face Ryeowook directly, blocking the smaller mans view of the woman as he threw an arm around his shoulders, stump of a purple candle gripped tightly in his other hand.

Ryeowook looked up at him, confidence in Kyuhyuns eyes a welcomed distraction from the threat of their impending death.

“I trust you...”

With that Kyuhyun smiled, tightening his grip around the smaller man. “On three I need you to think of home okay?”

“Y-Yeah.”

“One. Two. Three!”

As Kyuhyun reached three Ryeowook screwed his eyes shut, the taller man throwing his arm out towards the green flames that had almost completely surrounded them. With the witch raising her blade to take down Kyuhyun a bright flash of light quickly encompassed the room, finally dissipating to reveal the now empty space the pair had just been stood.

Lowering her blade into nothing the witch screamed in pure anger, green flames fully engulfing the inn as it burned.

Sikyung let her flames consume the walls around her until there was nothing left, green flames opening her up to the night sky before she allowed them to finally die down in the rain. She was enraged, rubbing the emerald ring on her finger as she felt more of her youth fading, skin starting to sag from her increased magic use.

It was a moment later that the image of her sister appeared in front of her, the other witch oblivious to Sikyungs anger.

“Sister! It appears the star has evaded your grasp.”

“Do you think I do not know that.” Sikyung hissed, her sister gasping as she felt the pure fury radiating off her, finally noticing the destuction through the rain. “Some boy came and took him with a babylon candle before I could harvest his heart. And now I do not have enough power to use my magic to find him again.” she spat.

“Shall I try another sacrifice?” Saerom questioned. “Maybe the fates will think of a way to get you to the star?”

Sikyung merely rolled her eyes, glaring down at Siwons body that still lay at her feet in the rubble. It was a moment later that she was hit with an idea, glancing up to see the stable was still pretty much intact, horses cries muffled inside and the princes' carriage parked just beyond it.

“That will not be necessary sister, I have another source of transportation for the moment.” she smirked. “I only need a small bit of magic it seems.”

“For what? The horses?”

“Of course not you baffoon.” Sikyung huffed, picking up a handful of pebbles from the path. She tossed the stones into the air, green magic swirling around them before they landed back in her palm, now smooth with small engravings carved into them.

“Oh runes sister, how smart!” Saerom exclaimed.

“Of course.” Sikyung gloated. “All this should be more than enough to find my way, and then the star shall finally be ours.”

 

*´¨`* 

 

With another bright bust of light Kyuhyun and Ryeowook came flying through the rain, heavy droplets and claps of thunder surrounding them.

“This isn't Wall. Where are we!?” Kyuhyun shouted over the rain, looking over at Ryeowook through the strange fog they were surrounded by.

Immediately Ryeowook tossed his hair out of his eyes, realisation flooding him, the star shoving Kyuhyuns shoulder lightly. “Wall!? I thought of my home!”

“What!?”

Ryeowook rolled his eyes. “You thought of your home and I thought of my home; now we've ended up right in the middle of the both of them.”

Kyuhyun blinked. “Wh...Why on earth would you think I was talking about the sky!?”

“You said think of home!!!” Ryeowook shouted back. “Why would I think of your home?”

“Well what else would I have meant? How would being in the sky have helped us!?!?” Kyuhyun questioned loudly, Ryeowook frowning in response.

“I don't know!! I was scared!!!”

“Well, what do we do now then? How are we even going to get down from the clouds in one piece?” Kyuhyun questioned, their surroundings barely visible through the thick rain clouds. Once again thunder boomed, lightning coming down just beside them, Ryeowook backing quickly into Kyuhyuns arms.

“I...I do not know. When us stars fall we normally don't get part of the way back up.”

Kyuhyun frowned. “Well there is only so much we can do before the storm clouds dissipate, do you think you would survive another fall?”

“...Maybe? But even so, how would we get you dow--”

Before Ryeowook could finish his sentence a large net suddenly came down on them, the pair yelling in surprise as they were dragged down to the bottom of it. They were tossed through the clouds, net dragging through the sky as lightning strikes continued to grow in frequency around them.

Reaching out Kyuhyun managed to grab a hold of the shaking star, pulling him close against his chest. “Hold onto me, we'll be okay!” he yelled, feeling Ryeowooks slim arms tighten around his waist as they continued to be flung, until finally they were pulled upwards through the rain clouds and onto a cold hard surface.

Quickly the net was pulled off them, Ryeowook rolling off Kyuhyun to his side with a wince.

“I am getting quite tired of this. Where are we now?”

“I think we're on some sort of ship...” Kyuhyun replied, looking around the deck as a number of men ran around them. It didn't take long for the pair to gain the attention of the workers, the crew of gruff looking men gathering around where they were splayed out. The pair could hear the whispers growing through the rain, Ryeowook quickly moving himself closer to Kyuhyuns side.

“Should we try to reason with them?” he whispered. “Maybe they will just help us off the ship if we asked.”

“They do not look much like talkers. But we can give it a try, just don't leave my side alright?”

Ryeowook gave a small nod, Kyuhyun turning to face the group now surrounding them, clearing his throat awkwardly. “Hello there, we were just looking for some help...?”

“And what help would two young men be searching for on an airship in the middle of a thunderstorm?” a deep voice called, the group parting to reveal a large man, curious gaze on the two of them.

“Well – uhh – it is a long story...” Kyuhyun stammered.

“Too long for the likes of us. Henry, Donghee – take them down to my quarters for questioning.” he retorted with a shake of his head.

“Aye aye captain!” two men cheered as they stepped out of the crowd, pulling them both upright.

“Kyuhyun!!” Ryeowook yelled as he was dragged away, Kyuhyun fighting the man who had grabbed him.

“Just let him go! We mean no harm, please! Just listen to us!”

Throwing the pair into the downstairs quarters the captain smirked before heading in after them, turning back to his crew with a stern gaze.

“What are you looking at, get back to work the lot of ya!”

With ayes echoing around them the mean quickly returned to work as the door slammed shut, captain alone with the two stowaways. Immediately dropping their work once again the crew gathered back around the doors, Henry hushing them as they pressed up against the door in attempt to eavesdrop. They could barely make out what was being said, save for the booming of the captains voice and a few soft cries every now and then.

Suddenly a loud roar came from inside, the captains booming voice easily carrying through the wooden doors.

“I will not be made a fool of by the likes of you! The pretty one stays with me, while you have the great pleasure of a quick trip off this ship!”

Immediately the crew clamoured for the starboard side, leaning over the railing just in time to see a body go hurtling out of the captains window, breaking out into loud cheers as Ryeowook screamed from inside.