For you

If that was for you

Title: If that was for you
Group: BAP
Pairing: Daejae
Word Count: 1,025
Genre: Angst/Au/broken friendship
Rated: PG15 [course language I guess? just a little]
Summary:Are you willing to sacrifice anything for the person you love?Even if it means the person not loving you back?

IF THAT WAS FOR YOU
-Sunmi (Wonder Girls) 

[“If that was for you” is a song about how a person is willing to do anything for the one he loves but the other doesn’t believe it]

 

“You know if I were him, I wouldn’t care if I give up my dreams and future just to be with you.” Daehyun voice out, looking at his best friend. Youngjae scoffed, picks up the glass filled with soju before drinking it in one shot, his face scrunched up, as the liquid burn his throat.  “No way. Never.” Youngjae pours more soju for himself, ignoring the worried look his best friend is giving. “You’re all about words, Daehyun. No one in the right mind would do that. Look, he’s just busy okay. I understand.”

“But a boyfriend who loves his partner wouldn’t let his boyfriend get all depressed and have doubts like this.”

“I am not depressed okay! Yes, he may not reply my messages and is alwys away for some business trips but he does that to have a future with me. I ask you out for a drink to make me feel better not talk bad about him!” Youngjae glares at Daehyun. “And all couple go through this phase. What do you know?! You’ve been single since forever!”

Those words hang in the air, Youngjae too angry to apologise, Daehyun too hurt to say anything.

“For all of this years you’ve only been insulting him. I constantly brush it off because you’re my best friend. But I can’t take it anymore!  If you haven’t notice, I’m getting married to him, Dae.” Youngjae shows the ring that fits perfectly on his finger, Daehyun’s eyes widen, not wanting to believe what he was seeing right now. Youngjae let out a low grunt as he gulps down another shot before continue to speak.

“You always thought I wouldn’t last long with him right? Well you’re ing wrong. All of you were ing wrong.” Youngjae toss an envelope onto the table, a wedding card. “Come if you want. Or not. It wouldn’t make any difference at all.” Youngjae stands up and put on his jacket not even glancing at his best friend who has his head hung low, not moving an inch.  Youngjae grab his belongings and turn to head out when a hand hold onto his wrist, a bit tighter to Youngjae’s liking.

“D-don’t go...” Daehyun croaked, trying to hold back his tears. Youngjae yank his hand away forcefully. “I’m sorry.” Daehyun continues.

“You should be.” Youngjae says spitefully before walking away. Daehyun watch sadly as the figure disappear from his view.

 

“Did you forget? I’ve been single because of you, Jae. For you...”


 

Three years ago

“You know I would do anything if it means I can stay beside you.” Daehyun stated, making the other laugh. “Stop being cheesy, Dae. Is this how you hit on people?” Daehyun just smiles in response.

“I don’t believe in those kind of things.” Youngjae says as he plays with Daehyun’s fingers. “Nobody would do that.”

“But I would.” Again, Youngjae laughs as he nudge his best friend playfully before shaking his head.

“Your future girlfriend would be so lucky.” Youngjae says, a hint of sadness could be heard. Daehyun tilt his head.

“Why do you sound sad? Why? You want to be my girlfriend?” Daehyun teased, earning a soft glare from Youngjae.

“You know I am already dating someone.” Daehyun’s smile faded and he looks away. “Yeah. For about a month. Must be a fling.” Youngjae smack Daehyun’s head. “Yeah and soon it will be one year and then two and then without you realising, I would be getting married.” Youngjae smirks smugly. “I’m serious with him, Dae.”

Daehyun keeps quiet, still not facing his best friend. “I don’t know why you hate him so much but please be nice to him when you two meet.” Youngjae expects a reply but Daehyun isn’t talking. He sighs.

“Whatever happens, I would choose you instead of him.” Hearing that, Daehyun turns. “Really?” Youngjae nods.

“Of course. Best friend first.”

Daehyun smiles at that thought, feeling relief that Youngjae wouldn't just ditch him for a guy that he's dating. He puts his trust fully on his best friend and he has wholeheartedly surrender his fragile heart to him, knowing that some day, he might get hurt but it's the risk he is willing to take, if that's one of the ways to make his best friend happy and of course, safe.

“So, about you do anything for your future girlfriend. Will you give her up to another guy because she loves that guy?” Youngjae asks, suddenly curious.

“And I still love her?”

“Uhuh.”

Daehyun looks at Youngjae and smiles sadly. “I think I am already doing that...” He mumbles and Youngjae turns, smiling expectantly, oblivious to Daehyun's inner turmoil. “Would you?”

“I would.”  Daehyun answers in a heartbeat, without hesitation as he looks at his best friend, fondly and Youngjae laughs again;

“Stupid Dae. That would mean you’ll be in pain.”

“But at least I can see him happy, smiling.”

“Him?”

Daehyun blinks furiously. “Her. I said her.”

Youngjae narrows his eyes at his best friend, of course he would know if his best friend is hiding something from him but then Daehyun flashes a smile, a smile that radiates warmth, instantly making Youngjae forget what they were talking about. He just shrug and takes Daehyun’s hand again, playing with it. “Hey Dae..?”

“Hmmm?” Daehyun replied, watching Youngjae pinching his fingers.

“I know this sound selfish but don’t get a girlfriend right now.” Youngjae squeezes Daehyun’s hand lightly. “I don’t want somebody taking you away.”

Daehyun laughs lightly before squeezing back Youngjae’s hand. “Don’t be silly. No one is taking me away. And you have him, remember?”

“I know. But it’s not the same. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s just is. I just..I mean if anything happens, I just want to know that you’re there for me to fall back onto. I know I sound selfish, but I guess...I just want some assurance." Youngjae says in a very soft voice, almost as a whisper, as he doubts what will his future be if his boyfriend left him. Who would he fall back onto?

“Don’t worry. I’m not thinking of having one anyways. Not right now. I will always be there for you. Always.” Daehyun voices out.

“Really?” Youngjae asks and Daehyun nods assuringly.

“I’ll go look for one when my best friend doesn’t want me anymore.” Daehyun says sadly, but laughs to make it as a joke. Youngjae laughs along.

“Promise?” Youngjae puts up his pinky. Daehyun laughs at Youngjae’s childishness but hook his pinky with Youngjae’s when he sees him pouting cutely.

“So stay single for me?” Youngjae smiles.

“For you.”