Final

Champions
Please log in to read the full chapter

The little piano tune that told Daehyun he had received a donation rung in his ear and he turned his head around to his second screen to read out the message left by the donor.

“Damchu, I wish you good luck for the tournament! Fighting!” Daehyun read out aloud and sent a charming smile to his camera.

“Thank you so much,” he said cheerfully. “We are preparing for this since weeks and we will do our best.”

He focused back on his main screen where his match had reached the . Daehyun was a League of Legends player and his team had just reached the very top level recently. They had worked hard for this success and in a month they would participate in their first Asian Championship, competing with the best teams around. All five of them were excited and nervous alike, this tournament would decide whether they were worthy or not.

Daehyun clicked furiously, all his attention was on the game now. Every one had gathered around the last tower of the opposite team, trying to take it down and at the same time keeping their opponents away, Yongguk – Daehyun's support player – did a really good job at that. Whilst Daehyun fired strong attacks towards the tower, Yongguk used his power to pull their opponents away so they could not do any harm to Daehyun.

Once again, the piano music chimed in and Daehyun snuck a quick look to his separate screen to read out the message.

“How do you think are your chances?” said the messaged that announced a 10.000 Won donation.

“Thank you for your donation! I don't think we will have any chances to win the tournament but we are planning to reach the top four,” Daehyun said. Through his headset, he could hear his team mates shouting commands to each other and Daehyun followed the conversation to know what his mates were up to.

“We will be facing the Warriors and as you guys know they're unbeaten since a while so they will be our most difficult opponent. Nonetheless we are working hard and will do the best as we can,” Daehyun smiled.

He remembered the days he had become a League of Legends player. His best friend Himchan had always had a high interest in gaming – in contrast to Daehyun himself who was more the type to go out and enjoy the nature. It was two years ago when Himchan had shown him a video of them – the Warriors – winning their first tournament. At that day, Daehyun had been hypnotized.

The whole layout of the game had fascinated Daehyun, with the colours, the love of details when it came to the characters and he was drawn in completely by the strong sense of team play coming from it. Said video had been a compilation of their games and a footage of the tournament, including interviews and shots of them standing on the stage, holding up the large cup with cheerful faces.

The Warriors, specifically known as Zelo, mellow, M.Up, Jean and Jay had won their very first tournament two years ago and since then, no one in this world could reach them. A crowd so large that it may as well had been a concert of a popular singer had been cheering loudly, chanting their names and celebrating their victory.

And then, Daehyun decided that he wanted that too. He had dreamed of standing on this stage, in front of a large crowd that shouted his name as well. Two years later he had finally reached his goal. In a few weeks he would stand on this stage, face to face with the 5 young men who had motivated him to become a player himself.

On Daehyun's screen, the tower burst with one final blast of his weapon and their way was clear to the enemy base. Whilst Daehyun had worked on the tower, his mates have killed the other players and it would still be a few seconds before they spawned again and all five of them rushed into the furthest corner of the map to destroy the final building – the Nexus.

With their united powers, there was no way to be stopped and a few seconds later, the large button saying 'VICTORY' appeared on Daehyun's screen. He smiled and leaned back in his comfortable chair. His team was taking a food break and he excused himself to to get the pizza his mother had prepared for him.

Balancing the plate with his pizza in his one hand and a large glass of coke in the other, he went back to his desk. He started eating and answered questions that were occasionally asked in the chat of his live stream.

The idea of streaming his matches live had been a great idea. Truthfully, the thought of being watched through a web camera had been weird to him at first, he had been conscious of his every move but now that he had gotten used to it, he enjoyed it. People showed him a lot of support, which motivated him even further to rise to the top and of course, the donations and the money that came in through his subscribers made his life a lot easier, he was a poor student after all.

“How did you chose to play the ADC role?” Daehyun read out the next question coming with a donation and he took a large sip of his coke before he answered.

“As you may know, strongchan and I are friends since middle school. He was the one who introduced me to the world of gaming and my first games I played as a support player after watching videos of a pro player who plays this role. I admired him so much that I wanted to become like this too. I was an awful player to be honest but in the end we figured that I was not made for this role and that attacking suited me better and now I'm actually able to compete with him,” he said.

Immediately the whole chat room of his stream exploded with questions and guesses of who this player is that Daehyun had admired so much. Daehyun teased his viewers, asking them if he should really tell them and of course, they were dying to know.

“It was Jay,” Daehyun simply replied.

*

Youngjae's pupils jumped from the left to the right and back, keeping attentive to everything that was going on in this game. He saw that Zelo needed help so he hurried to get closer to his team mate and teleport him to his side.

“Thanks mate,” Zelo said and Youngjae hummed in response before making his way to another part of the map again. They had been playing together since so long that they barely needed any commands anymore.

Youngjae's attention was back to M.Up who was just about to be surrounded by a horde of minions that had just spawned. He was by M.Up's side quickly and together they managed to destroy everything and join the others in the battle of the last tower.

It was a quick game, the opponents were no match for them, the match had lasted barely fifteen minutes until the Warriors had once again waltzed all over their enemies. They said their good byes after that, it was late at night and they had played for more than six hours straight. Youngjae stopped a yawn from escaping his lips and rubbed his eyes, they were itching from the many hours in front of his computer.

He watched the chat of his live stream for a moment, people were excitedly talking about the upcoming tournament in a week's time and everyone was sure that the Warriors would once again take the trophy home.

'Jay, which team are you looking forward to playing against the most?', someone asked and he thought about it for a moment.

“I'm looking forward to play against Jinxed. It's their first time participating in a tournament of this class and the league needs some fresh blood,” Youngjae laughed, knowing that his words could mean more than one thing.

The chat continued with the conversation, people asked if he thought Jinxed was a match for the Warriors. They were no match but Youngjae would not say things like this out loud. Youngjae had watched every team they would be competing against enough to know their strong and weak points, that was his talent and what helped them to adapt to opponents quickly and develop their gaming style to the point they could not be beaten.

'Damchu said he is a fan of you' someone else wrote.

“Is he really?” Youngjae said and he couldn't keep the corners of his lips curling upwards. “Should I pay his stream a visit?” Youngjae asked and the chat room was spammed with 'yes!'.

Youngjae knew Damchu, the other was a fairly popular streamer, not as popular as he was but he was rising quickly and had become one of the most popular ones in a very short time. After a few clicks he was on Damchu's profile and clicked play, thankfully he was still streaming right now.

On screen was the familiar battlefield of League of Legends and in the bottom left corner the face of a boy around Youngjae's ag

Please log in to read the full chapter