Elmo

Elmo (One-Shot)

 

I was walking downtown when I caught sight of a very cute Elmo stuffed toy. “I wish, someday, my special someone will give me a stuffed toy.”

 

“Stop talking to yourself, Sookyung. It makes you look pathetic.” Someone spoke up behind me. I turned around to see Lee Jinki, my only obnoxious friend.

 

“What are you murmuring, Jinki? Can you speak louder so I can hear you?” I sarcastically answered him as I turned my back and started walking towards our school. Gosh. He’s so annoying! Why does he have to be my friend?!

 

“Yah! I’m not yet done talking to you!” he caught up with me and grabbed my wrist. “What is your problem?” he harshly asked me.

 

“I don’t have any problem with you, okay? So please, stop bothering me.” I coldly returned my answer.

 

“Ever since I told you I like you, you’ve been distant to me.”

 

I was really hoping he wouldn’t open that up. I seriously don’t know why I’m acting this way. Okay, I’m coming clean, I like him! But it’s just not meant to be. He has a girlfriend, one that I can barely see. What would that make me? Nothing but a freaking third party.

 

“Kyungie, just talk to me nicely.”

 

“I will, don’t worry. Later, after class. Pray that I won’t forget.” I told him. I want to get this over with. It has been weeks since I have been avoiding him. 3 weeks to be exact. Oh, don’t ask me how I got to pass the day without talking to him or even looking at him. As much as this would make me a loser, I have been stealing glances at him. Everyday I want to virtually die from not talking to him, but I know that I can’t stop doing this. I have to continue and move on. I was such a wreck. He made me a wreck.

 

I slowly walked away from him, away from my dream and towards the blinding reality.

 

Wait. I still want to hear him call me Kyungie…

 

..

..

 

Nothing. Fine. I’ll go to that blinding reality.

 

----------------------------

 

The day dragged on. I was scribbling on my notes, more like doodling nonsense. I can feel his gaze on me, but I tried not to stop what I’m doing. I looked at my watch and wait – OMG! 10 minutes left before this day ends! I don’t want to face him. I don’t think I can take it.

 

And then, there it goes, the damn school bell rang. Wait, what’s happening? Why is everyone looking at me? Omigosh, did I do something wrong?

 

“Kyungie.” Taemin called me.

 

“Yeah?” I asked him. “Wait, why is everyone looking at me?”

 

“You mean, you haven’t seen your phone?” he asked dumbfounded.

 

“What’s that got to do with my phone?” I mumbled as I got my phone from my bag. There was a message and it was from Jinki. I quickly exited the message and focused my attention to the guy infront of me.

 

“Hand me your phone.” He extended out his hand. I hesitantly gave it to him. He rummaged through my  phone and widened his eyes. “You didn’t read his message?!”

 

“What? What message? From whom?”

 

“Jinki hyung.” He said. He gave it back to me and asked me to read it. By this time, everyone in the classroom went out, hurrying to go somewhere else.

 

Meet me at the field.  Now. I’ll be waiting. :)

 

“This guy. What is he planning to do now?! Can’t he just wait? I will talk to him, no need to be so excited.” I huffed.

 

“Kyungie, why don’t you call him oppa? He’s older than you. I mean even though you’re close friends and all, you should still be respectful. Plus I’m sure hyung would be happy.”

 

“The time will come for that. I have to go, your ‘hyung’ is so ecstatic to see me.” I smirked as I arranged my things and went straight for the door. I stopped just a moment to say, “oh and, Taemin? You still didn’t tell me why everyone was looking at me.”

 

“You’ll find out later.” He winked. I started to walk towards the field when I saw Jinki under a tree. I went to him and tapped him in his shoulder. He turned around and greeted me with a ‘hey’. He was smiling. I almost forgot how breathtaking his smile was.

 

“I thought the field?” I asked him and he just shrugged.

 

“Can we now talk?” his eyes showed sadness. I immediately looked away as I managed to say a small ‘whatever’.

 

“I miss you. You’ve been cold to me, and I hate it. Why is that?” he started.

 

“Don’t play dumb on me, mister. You have a girlfriend and you’re flirting with me! Don’t you think your girlfriend’s gonna be hurt with what you’re doing?” I rolled my eyes.

 

“So this is the only problem why you’re being cold to me?”

 

“Only problem?! It’s not just a problem, Jinki. This involves your relationship with your girlfriend.” As much as I hate saying the word ‘girlfriend’, I have no choice but to say it.

 

“Why does she have to be included here? It’s just about the two of us.”

 

“You’re wrong, Jinki. This involves her. With what you’re doing now, you have to choose between us. Either one, you’re going to hurt both of us.” I spoke softly as I tilted my head to avoid his eyes. I can feel my tears coming so I had to blink them back.

 

“You don’t have to worry about her. I broke up with her the day I told you I like you. So don’t think about her okay? Think about us. I like you Sookyung, I always did. Even when I was dating my EX.” He emphasized on the word ex.

 

“What? Wait. Why? You’ve caused her pain Jinki! How can you do that?” I unbelievably asked him.

 

“I chose to be honest with her. It’s better than living in a relationship full of lies. And I thought you wanted me to be happy?” he asked her.

 

“Whatever, you’re the only obnoxious friend I have so why would I want to wish you happiness?” This guy is just so obnoxious. I want to push him in front of a bus even though I like him.

 

“I’ll just pretend that I didn’t hear that. Bottom line, I like you. I like you, I like you, I like you.”

 

“Stop it Jinki. You’re creeping me out. You’re not this serious. Where’s the jolly, clumsy and dorky dubu I know? Plus the obnoxious—”

 

“Yah! Sookyung, enough insulting me, okay? Tell me what you feel. Honestly.” He grabbed both my hands and looked at me in the eyes. His mesmerizing eyes that easily blow me away. I can feel myself unconsciously spilling out, “I like you.”

 

“Really?” I can’t believe I told him that. I’m doomed! Where did all my lady lessons go?! I’m such an aggressive girl. All my thoughts disappeared when he hugged me tight.

 

“I.. ugh.. can’t.. breathe, Jinki.” I coughed as I tried to gather oxygen.

 

“Oh. Sorry.” He laughed as he let go of me and continued. “Wait here, I have something for you, close your eyes.”

 

I closed my eyes, calmly waiting for his ‘something’. After what seemed like 3 minutes, he told me to open my eyes. There, before me, was the cutest and reddest Elmo I have ever seen. The one I saw this morning. I can feel my facial muscles slowly creeping up into a smile. “How did you know that I like Elmo?”

 

“Oh please, I saw you this morning right? And you were talking to yourself how you want your special someone to give you a stuffed toy.” He chuckled.

 

“Don’t make me remember it, okay. I was so embarrassed when you heard me talking to myself. Plus, why are you so sure that I feel the same way as you?” I arched my eyebrow.

 

“Hmm, let’s say, I just knew.” He laughed then continued, “Kyungie, look behind you.”

 

I looked behind to see my classmates and Taemin grinning ear to ear. One by one, they showed letters that form “I Love You, Kyungie”. I looked at him and he had that goofy smile on his face. “What is this? Wait. Is this the reason why everyone was looking at me weirdly this dismissal?” I asked him dumbfounded.

 

“Err, yeah? I think so. I texted each one of them asking them to help me accomplish my romantic idea come to life.” He chuckled.

 

“Oh you’re such a dork, Lee Jinki.”

 

“I love you.” He said it lovingly as he looked in my eyes. Argh, I hate him when he does that. I can feel myself melting.

 

“I thought you like me? Now, it’s love?” I laughed at him as I tried to shoo away the awkwardness I felt and he just glared at me.  I understood what he meant and I quickly shut up. “I love you too, Jinki.”

 

He smiled and hugged me tight, again.