This is a Beautiful Lie... My Last Lie

Beautiful Liar

Taekwoon padded around his room softly, trying his best not to wake anyone up. He knew it was late, dark, but he felt on edge. He needed to move and he wasn’t sure why, but he would be as silent as he could for now.

His room was nearly bare, just a bed, a mirror, a dresser, and a few pictures scattered around to even suggest the presence of anyone living there, but it was enough. Taekwoon practically lived in that small, quiet, empty room.

Sighing softly, he glanced out the window, leaning his head against the glass just heavily enough to make a soft thud.

“What am I doing?” he mumbled softly, letting out a shallow breath. It fogged up the window and he watched as it dissipated, not sure what else to do. He was almost shocked when he heard a voice behind him, and Taekwoon immediately turned around, Wonshik standing in the open doorway and looking at him in confusion.

“Why are you awake?” he asked, Taekwoon sighing and leaning back against the window. He simply shrugged in reply.

“I don’t know.”

The response was simple and that was all Taekwoon said, nothing else except for silence filling the space between the two of them. For a moment Wonshik simply looked at him, ruffling his hair before deciding to walk over to the low dresser. He pushed himself up onto it with a little groan, situating himself in his spot before focusing once again on Taekwoon, who had returned to looking out the window.

“You’ve been doing this a lot lately,” Wonshik said, leaning back on his hands. “You’ve been awake at night, walking around like this. I’ve heard you.” Taekwoon nodded, hands gripping the ledge under the window for a moment before he sighed and walked instead toward his bed. He crumpled down onto it, Wonshik watching him the whole time. “Is it nightmares? Insomnia? Anything I can help with?” he added, Taekwoon rolling onto his back as he stared up at the ceiling. He shook his head.

“No.”

Wonshik pursed his lips, leaning even further back so back was against the wall.

“You sure?” he asked again, Taekwoon nodding once more.

“Yes.”

After that Wonshik fell silent, eyes focused on Taekwoon. One of Taekwoon’s arms was draped over his face, the other resting limply by his side as he focused on sleep. Wonshik just shook his head, only able to handle the silence for a few moments more before he pushed himself off the dresser and stood.

“You don’t act like you used to,” he mumbled, Taekwoon turning his head so he could see the other man. Wonshik was looking in the mirror, almost like he was inspecting himself, and Taekwoon couldn’t help but chuckle just a little. “What changed?”

“Nothing changed,” he replied quickly, voice soft and still trying not to wake the other people in the rooms that were close. “Nothing’s different. I’m the same.”

“You’re not,” Wonshik cut in, moving to stand next to the bed. He looked down at Taekwoon, brows furrowed before he crouched down beside him. “Is it because of her? Is something going on that I can help with?”

Taekwoon barely gave Wonshik time to respond, only shook his head in silence and rolled over to face Wonshik. He frowned.

“I promise. It’s nothing,” he replied softly, Wonshik just looking at him with narrowed eyes. “I promise.”

Wonshik stared in silence for a second before shrugging and standing back up again. Watching him, Taekwoon sat up, leaning forward in his seat. He was pacing the room like Taekwoon had earlier, though now the movement was making Taekwoon almost uneasy.

All of a sudden Wonshik paused, turning to face Taekwoon and biting his lip.

“But this changed. We changed,” he said softly, gesturing between the two of them. Taekwoon stared at him in silence before nodding, head dropping so that his gaze was focused on the floor instead. Wonshik let his hand drop to his side, letting out a shaky sigh. “Why?”

“You know why…” Taekwoon mumbled, Wonshik looking at him in confusion for a moment. He raised a brow.

“Her? Is it because of her?” he asked, Taekwoon choosing to remain silent as Wonshik continued. “Because I said I can help you with anything. I said I was here for you. And I’ll always be here.” Wonshik took a few steps forward, crouching down in front of Taekwoon and resting both of his hands on either side of him on the bed. “I miss how we used to be.”

Taekwoon nodded.

“I miss this.”

They were close, and Taekwoon felt a shiver run down his spine. He his lips almost nervously, and Wonshik leaned up, their noses almost touching before he paused.

Taekwoon didn’t move.

Instead of closing the gap between them Wonshik stood, letting out a soft grunt in exasperation. Taekwoon was still, unmoving and letting the silence echo against the walls louder than any words could. It was Wonshik who spoke next, and the words broke through the quiet around them sharply.

“I miss you.”

Taekwoon looked up, Wonshik turning to look down at him. They locked eyes, Taekwoon letting out a shaky breath before he spoke.

“I mi-”

“Who are you talking to, Taekwoon?”

His roommate stood in the doorway, looking at him with sleepy eyes. Her hair was wild, she looked as though she’d just woken up, and Taekwoon just turned to her slowly, brows furrowed in a mixture of sadness and exhaustion.

“Who are you talking to?”

He was sitting alone in his bare room, just a bed, a mirror, a dresser, and a few pictures scattered around to even suggest the fact that two people had ever been living there, but it was enough.

Almost.