My Medicine

Paper Hart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her white Mercedes Benz slowly decreased in speed while driving along the sidewalk. Eventually it came to a full stop outside a small, modern boutique with huge windows and double doors in glass. Despite the size, the shop was known for luxurious attire and exclusive service by a trained staff. Many would agree that the prices were reasonable, while the thought of a reduction would receive more agreement. 

Nonetheless, Yoona wasn't here on a shopping spree. In a way, she was here to purchase clothes she would gladly wear in the near future. But there wasn't any happiness or joy at the thought of her duty. Because this was a must, not a want.

After having turned off the engine, she sat for a moment with closed eyes. She felt she had to gather some strength, before she put on her sunglasses. Following moment, she stepped out of her car gracefully and locked it. 

Only five minutes later, she stood still in the middle of the store as a realization struck her. 

Clothes. They were everywhere. Rows upon rows of dresses and pants hung orderly on bars along the walls. Tables with gleaming glass displayed skirts and shorts, or simpler tops and sweaters. Some accessories and jewelry were on display as well here and there. Because of the sunlight coming in through the wide, floor to ceiling-tall windows, everything seemed to glitter and shine. 

The amazing part about the boutique, though, was the fact that she hadn't been able to find a single item to buy. With such a large offer of articles to purchase, she couldn't understand why she hadn't found one dress or shirt to try on. The reason could be that she didn't actually want to be here. Actually, she did like the store but she didn't want to be here shopping because of the reason that she had to go out in the first place. 

Though it was her best friend Yuri and the man she loved with all of her heart marrying each other, simply hearing wedding caused Yoona's mood turn sour. No one had said the word in her presence today, but it must've been in the back of her mind. It'd pained her heart to even enter through her door. On the other hand, her consciousness had commanded her body to go inside, and her feelings trampled down. 

It seemed as though she had ought to have followed her instincts and never gone in. Because now, tears lingered in the corners of her eyes while her legs simply couldn't cease shaking. A sob escaped her lips, and she began to turn around to leave. Such a stupid idea to begin with…

"Excuse me, miss? Can I help you?"

A voice from behind made her stop dead in her tracks. She reacted without thinking that she was crying, and faced whoever had spoken to her. 

"What?" she questioned with acid in her tone. 

Behind her, a few feet away, stood a tall man dressed in black from head to toe. His broad torso and thick arms carried a t-shirt, while pants hugged his slim hips and went down a pair of long, muscular legs. Given the season, his palette of colors was quite surprising. Not very inviting, at least.

However, in the end, with the gentle look in his dark eyes and his hands up in the air as though she was a cop that arrested him, she figured that the man was a kind soul. 

"My apologies, miss. I meant no harm," said the stranger. 

Tears still wetting her cheeks, she nodded. "Don't worry about it. I should be the one apologizing. It's not really my day."

Her last words nearly killed her because they were as true as spoken. Today should've been hers and by now, she should've been getting ready to walk down the aisle to the sound of a wedding march. She had planned for a violin to play the famous melody while her shaky hands carried a bouquet of white lilies of the valley. A veil covered her face as she slowly strode down the path between benches filled with guests, towards her future husband. 

It had been a beautiful, richly detailed fantasy. But, in fact, only a dream. Hadn't she found out that her fiance couldn't remain true, she might've come to make the gravest mistake in her life. Thankfully, she had, which was a blessing in disguise. Still, it didn't lessen the pain in her chest. 

"Miss, are you alright?" 

The stranger brought her back with a voice filled with worry. She smiled bitterly, her gaze looking nowhere, and wished she could answer him truthfully. However, as she had bothered her family and friends enough with her rants, she didn't want to trouble a stranger as well. There was also the possibility that he wouldn't understand and send her away, which left her dressless and in trouble. She really had to find clothes today.

With that in mind, she strengthened herself by drying her face and ending her misery. Since the man had offered her help, she might as well accept. There wasn't a chance that she would manage to find anything on her own.

"Yes, or rather, I will be once you've found me a dress," she mumbled and itched her runny nose. Turning around, now fully facing the man, she found him nodding with a mildly surprised face. But, he quickly gathered himself again with a quick head shake before he smiled widely and gestured towards the entire room. 

And so began several hours of absolutely nothing. In the way that she wasn't closer to a purchase than when she had arrived. As a matter of fact, she felt more confused by all the options and decisions the man, Taecyeon, had given her. She had never known all the possibilities to choose, where such details as neckline and the shape of a gown had never crossed her mind.

It was frustrating, to say the least. The worst part, however, was all the times she had to lift her legs in order to enter a new garment. Her feet ached and her back didn't feel that much better. Disappointment struck her whenever she stood in front of the mirror and realized that another creation wasn't good enough for a range of reasons, which made her body and mind complain. 

Nevertheless, there was a silver lining. Namely in the shape of Taecyeon. He was a magnificent aid and managed to reduce the time she spent on every dress by fast firing comments and criticism that helped her make up her mind. Once, it was the wrong shade for her skin. Next, the hemline didn't do her legs justice, followed by the third one where too many details distracted from her beautiful face. 

But, in the end, she felt herself on the verge of tears again. Defeat ate her away while she stared at her reflection in the mirror. Now, she wore a simple green gown without sleeves. The cleavage was beautifully draped and the hemline ended above her knees. Yet, it had to go. Another one.

Moving her gaze slightly, she watched Taecyeon slowly move pass more racks as he examined them thoughtfully. While she admired his determination, she didn't feel the same regarding her own. Perhaps they had to stop. It was already 3 o'clock in the afternoon, which meant she spent 5 hours searching that had only resulted in anything but satisfying results. 

Sighing, she mentally threw in the towel and stepped down from the small podium in front of the mirror. Meanwhile, her stomach growled loudly and she swayed lightly because of hunger. Quickly, she dropped onto the nearest armchair and covered her face. Everything was simply incredibly exhausting. At this point, her expectations were utterly crushed and she let her tears flow freely.

"Hey, hey!" she heard while footsteps neared her. But, it wasn't enough to make her remove her hand from her eyes. 

A gentle gush of air brushed against her legs before a pair of hands gripped hers resting in her lap. She could feel that they belonged to a man and feelings of shame began to grow inside. That he would see her in this way, yet again. 

"Yoona," said Taecyeon sympathetically, knowing her name by now. "Why are you giving up? You're incredibly close to finding the perfect dress." 

"It's not that," she sobbed. 

He squeezed her fingers. "What is it, then?" 

Silence befell and wrapped the room. She fought with herself, whereas one side wanted to share her feelings, and the other for her to simply gather herself and continue as if nothing had happened. Eventually, there could only be a final winner. 

"I hate it."

"What?" he shot back immediately, which was the last straw. 

Frustration overwhelmed her and took control. She ripped away her hand and rose up. Walking away from him, she gestured for the entire space, the boutique, doing a turn in the center of the room with her arms spread wide. 

"Everything!" she yelled as tears dashed her cheeks. "I've been here for half a day and I've found nothing! You keep coming out with more samples and every time I've got to put it on, only to take it off, it kills me! Because, clearly I'm not wanted! I don't fit anything, I'm not good enough for anything! How could you do this to me? After all the things I've done for you!" 

Her rant came to an instant stop, as well as her anger. She stood still, her eyes staring widely ahead without focusing on anything in particular. Though her body remained paralyzed, her mind was in a frenzy. As a tidal wave, flashbacks and memories filled every gap in her head and triggered new ones, a new emotion along with each one. It was impossible to escape from that night…

How she had borrowed his phone to make a quick call to his mother regarding their wedding. As the unforgettable fool he was, he had allowed her. When she and her mother-in-law to-be hung up, a text came in, whose words were imprinted into her head. That moment when she realized that she had been the actual fool, the phone had crashed onto the floor along with her heart. 

Now, her body gave in to gravity as easily and she felt her behind and thighs hit the floor with a muffled thud. Holding herself, she let everything out in the way as she had that night. Not even an army could stop her tears and the trembles seizing her every limb. hung open

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter