On the Stage

One Year Later

 

            You know what’s the worst feeling ever? The feeling you get within five minutes before you enter the stage and perform. Then hearing the crowd go wild as they shout for your name, makes it even worse. And it seems like time just stopped. Yes, this feeling. Worst. Feeling. Ever.

            Only five minutes are left till Eunhee performs on stage. Slightly impatient fans are immensely chanting, “KANG EUNHEE, SARANGHAEYO~” Instead of increasing her confidence, this rather added more weight to Eunhee’s guts. Even the makeup artists that were adding the final touch-ups weren’t helping one bit.

            “FIVE MINUTES!” shouted the director.

            “M-Manager-nim, I don’t think I can do this.” said Eunhee with a shaky voice.

            “Eunhee-ah, I understand that this is your first performance as a star. I know that feeling you’re having right now. But I know you can do it! We are all here for you, and your fans! Okay?”

            “B-But… Wh-what if I… screw up? It’ll all be ruined. Th-then I’d ha-”

            “Aish, this kid… Listen to me Eunhee, nobody is perfect. People aren’t born skilled. Do you see those famous stars right there?” he pointed at all the famous idols in the posters.

            “N-Ne?”

            “They started out just like YOU did. They wouldn’t be there if they didn’t start at the bottom in the first place. Same goes for you. Start at the bottom for you to get to the top. And once you’re at the top, you’ll be able to soar beautifully like a bird. Everybody will look up at you. So don’t be afraid to take a step, Eunhee. You wanted this, right?” said the manager with his eyes looking straight at the girl’s teary eyes.

            “M-Manager-nim… Thank you so much.” tears started to flow on Eunhee’s cheeks, leaving obscure trails of her makeup.

            It is obvious that Mr. Park is also getting emotional, his eyes are getting teary, “AISH, THIS KID. I CAN’T EVEN-… Look, your makeup is messed up now. Noonaaaas!” Mr. Park tried to dry her cheeks with his handkerchief.

            “TEN SECONDS!” the director gestured at Mr. Park and Eunhee.

            “It’s now your time to shine Eunhee. Now go out there and show ‘em what you’re made of!” the manager gave the girl a gentle pat on the shoulder.

            “Nomu nomu nomu kamsahamnida Manager-nim!” Eunhee gave a low bow to her manager and smiled brightly.

            “Hwaiting!” yelled all the staff.

            This is it. I’m here. There’s no turning back now. You’re finally achieving your dream. You can do this, Eunhee. This is for Umma and Appa.

            “Let’s give a round of applause for the long-awaited Kang Eunhee!”

            The tension in Eunhee’s chest is growing bigger every second. She feels as if she is going to be swallowed whole by the deafening yells. Every small step she takes feels as if the world is on a dramatic slow-mo, air pressure filling up her ears which leads to deafness. You know, just like what they do in movies. As she steps out from the dark, colorful bright lights shone upon her. The crowd grows wilder. Seeing the joyous faces of her fans makes her feel something. She feels the appreciation. Finally. As the pianist started playing, Eunhee took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She let herself be surrounded by the music that was being played. She feels it, wholeheartedly. As she let the gentle voice out of , she opens her teary eyes. She sings from her heart all throughout. Everybody was happy seeing and hearing her perform. Yet, without a doubt, the fans felt the emotion of the song. Everybody starts to wipe off the tears from their eyes and cheeks. Everybody is sniffing, some were even whimpering desperately.

            Her heart overflowing with sincere bliss, she glanced at the pianist. The fact that he’s wearing a mask struck Eunhee’s curiosity. You can tell that he is very passionate at music. Even though he’s wearing a mask, his teary eyes are still noticeable. The pianist lifted his head up and looked at Eunhee directly in the eyes as if he knew that she was staring at him. He smiled and said something which Eunhee can only tell by reading the words from his lips. Good job.