[ 1 / 1 ] - FINAL

If the Collar Fits

Title: If the Collar Fits
Rating: PG
Word Count: 990
Summary: Monggu really likes Dr. Lu, and so does his owner.
Warning/s: None.



 

“Monggu, stop! You’re messing up my hair,” Jongin sighs, shifting in his seat in attempt to peer into his rearview mirror and smooth back his neatly-greased locks.

Despite how absolutely dapper he looks on the outside, he’s a complete mess on the inside. Thoughts are jumbled and incoherent; everywhere at once, just like his restless puppy bounding to and fro between the passenger seat and Jongin’s lap. And, of course, his commands fell on deaf fuzzy ears, as his tone only fuels the little mutt to lose his mind even more.

By now, the young man’s accepted that this is just the way the doggie treat crumbles. Ever since he adopted his feisty mongrel from the shelter, he’s been nothing but trouble. Jongin learned that same day that the only person in the world who could condense this little ball of pure mischief into something significantly less rambunctious was Dr. Lu. Monggu’s veterinarian. A handsome man that not only rendered his pup unable to do anything but sit and stare, but had the same effect on Jongin himself.

Unfortunately, the process of taking Monggu to his vet is the most difficult part of the month. And it isn’t like his pup always behaves like this during car rides. It’s always when his owner is dressed to the nines, hair styled with half a can of chemicals, and drenching himself in Axe that Monggu just knew.

He’d probably suspect that the mutt could sense his owner’s own excitement to see the doctor as well if he were that self-aware. As he sits in the parking lot outside of the clinic, fussing over his appearance, Monggu desperately pawing at the window, he decides to practice some of the smooth rhetoric he’d been planning out since their last visit.

“Dr. Lu! It’s so great to see you again,” Jongin chuckles, head cocking to the side as he shot himself one of his own dazzling smiles in the rearview mirror. “Oh, this? It’s nothing. I’m always looking this sharp. You know what they say about men who take care of themselves—”

He paused. No, no, that’s not right. Too presumptuous.

“Dr. Lu, I shouldn’t beat around the bush and you shouldn’t either. I feel like… we have a real connection. I mean,” he tries again, offering the mirror an expression of sincerity as he places a hand over his heart, “I love puppies, you love puppies… we clearly have a lot in common.”

Jongin clucks his tongue while his hand falls down to rest atop his lap. “That’s not it, either,” he murmurs in exasperation, before turning his attention towards Monggu as he lets out a whimper that represented just how defeated Jongin felt. His gaze resting on the momentarily-stilled pup’s collar, however, reminded him that he didn’t necessarily need to use his words.

“That’s right!” Sitting up straight once again, he stretches himself out just enough to wedge his hand into his pocket and pull out a small piece of paper, folded into squares. “You remember what we practiced, don’t you?” Jongin muses as he leans over and carefully stuffs the folded note into a small opening in the fabric of Monggu’s worn collar.

Monggu’s response is as expected — an excited yip complemented by tiny paws marching against his thighs impatiently. What Jongin doesn’t anticipate is how that excitement manifests itself when he opens his door, and the pup immediately leaps out.

It takes a pregnant moment of Jongin staring down towards the unlatched leash in his hand before he can manage to slip out of his car and bound after the rogue puppy. At first, he thinks, Oh, God, what if he gets hit by a car and it’s all my fault?!But, then, he realizes that his little mutt isn’t heading towards the street.

He’s heading right for the entrance to the clinic.

“Monggu—” Jongin pants as he bobs and weaves through both parked and moving cars, “Monggu, stop! Stop, boy! Heel,heel!

Monggu does none of that. Instead, he lets himself inside of the clinic when the door opens and another client makes their way out, with a hissing cat in its carrier just as startled as its confused owner. Jongin manages a quick, breathless apology as he pads up to the entrance, expecting as much chaos to have ensued inside.

But he’s dumbfounded to find that nobody’s really noticed his rogue puppy come through. The receptionist is handling a phone call, and the few people in the waiting room were busy consoling or playing with their own pets. Ducking down low and attempting to play it cool, he begins casually making his way through the lobby — keeping an eye out for his missing pooch.

Just as he’s on his knees and scoping out the backside of the reception desk, he hears someone exclaim loudly down the corridor of sectioned-off office rooms. It’s a very familiar cry, too; so familiar, in fact, that Jongin begins to break out in a cold sweat despite the way his lips quirk into a lopsided smile.

He stands himself upright, and makes his way down the long corridor to a certain room at the end of it with an ajar door. Jongin pauses for a moment outside of it when soft coos and laughter fall silent, sparing a glance towards the shiny nameplate that states, “Lu Han, DVM.” He carefully nudges the door open, and peeks inside.

Monggu, of all people, is trying to set us up, huh?” The doctor shoots Jongin a smug smile, and holds up the unfolded note.

Jongin’s brows practically raise to his hairline, and his smile widens almost painfully. “Well, if Monggu thinks we’d be a good match…” he trails off bashfully, shuffling his way further into the room.

Lu Han hums thoughtfully, deciding to give in when Jongin offers him the same pleading gaze the dog in his lap does. “How could I say no to you two?”
 
 

 

thanks for reading!
feedback is always appreciated, here or there.
you can also read the standalone sequel to this HERE.