Window Sided Romance

Soccer Boy

I don't know his name.

The things I know about him.., I can even count them on my fingertips. He wore neon orange runners that made me point him out in the field so easily and he's a year above me. He's in the soccer club and he plays the defender position. Because he's relatively shorter than the other soccer players, he gets sent flying often but he never gives up. Personality wise, he probably hates losing. I'm pretty sure he's the type who doesn't dwell on negative things. Why? It's because of that smiling face I see every day after each game that makes me so certain.

Its summer vacation and it's been a month since I started watching him from the library window in the 2nd floor. You could say I do it as a way to kill time when I get sick of studying and needed a break. I've been studying nonstop for the past few weeks and it felt tiring. My only escape was the world in the window beside my favorite spot.

"Ms. Jung," a voice suddenly called out.

I looked back and saw my homeroom teacher walking towards me, "Ah, seon-sang nim." 

"I see you're working hard again today, don't you need to go to cram school instead of studying here in the school library?"

"No, well, working at my own pace suits me best plus it's really cool and comfortable here."

"Is that so?" I nodded.

"Hmm, I guess as long as you stay at the top of your class, its fine. Don't work too hard okay? You should loosen up a little."

"Yes, thank you."

The only thing I'm so irritated about right now is people telling me I'm too strict to myself. Those who keep on saying what's the point in studying when I'm already the one on top. It's really none of their concern. The reason I'm studying this hard is because I have a goal. I've studied all through middle school and highschool without letting anything distract me. On the contrary, I think its stranger when people fool around all the time and chase dreams that never come true. You know those useless ambitions. But that boy from the soccer club, he seems different. Every time I see him playing soccer, it feels like I'm watching television. A show about someone who loves soccer and wants to become a pro, maybe? What caught my eye originally was the way he moves so well with such a thin body, and he never backs down no matter how big his opponents are.

"Ah, he's surrounded again..."

It's like he's a star of some- "Ah!" He got hit in the head! Oh no! I stood up from the desk table and leaned towards the window to get a closer look, "Is he OK....?" What am I doing? Ugh it's already this late. Saying that I know what I'm doing, then getting caught up in my breaks what the hell.

Focus Jung Hyeri! I need to get back my focus.

That afternoon when I got home, I went straight to my mom. "Mom, can I go to this?" I said, holding out a leaflet on cram school for summer I picked up earlier at the teacher's lounge.

"That's rare. I thought you said you didn't want to go to cram school this year?"

"I need to mom!" I said with much determination.

"Alright alright, I'll get you some money."

It's time for a change. I've gotten so used to that place and it made me slack off. Maybe, if I change my environment I should be able to concentrate. That's right. Maybe if..... "I...can't focus at all!" I groaned as I lowered my head to my desk, the teacher was saying something about Trigonometry which I have already studied last week in the library. The topic was tiring me out. Why is that?

After a week of a non-stop battle with myself, I went back to my usual spot.

"Ah there he is....he's fine now,"

So that's it. I felt a sudden relief. Last week's accident was stuck inside my head. I guess I just got really worried. But I'm really glad he's alright.

"Look over here..," I whispered hoping for something, "Haah, what am I doing now? I must have really lost my mind...."

Huh?

I squatted down as fast as I could in shock. "Th-that scared me, a hallucination?"

For a second, I thought our eyes met!

That's impossible though, I'm in the 2nd floor. That's right, it can't be. It just felt that way because it's been a while since I last saw him.

"I better go home..,"

I heard loud running footsteps that just seems to get closer the more I approached the library door, before I could slid the door open, a boy from the other side did. He was panting heavily as he looked up to me.

"Y-you're here!"

"Huh?"

"You.., you we're gone for a week."

He knew about me?!

"What are you talking about?" I said, as if clueless.

"I've been seeing you through the 2nd floor window since the beginning of summer vacation."

.

"I've always wondered who you we're watching..," he paused as if thinking if he should continue, "But then, when I got knocked down at that time.., I saw you stood up, you we're close to the window and had this shocked and worried look. I thought that maybe you've been.., well, watching me but I didn't see you the next day after that."

I couldn't say anything. I was in trance. Ah, he's actually way taller than me. Without me noticing I have been staring at him already. He smelled like morning dews and dirt, and the drops of sweat on his hair made them sparkle just like his eyes. The person from the other side of the window that I have been watching from this very room is looking at me right now.

"Uhm, can I ask why you we're watching?" he asked as he looked at me nervously.

Why you ask? That was just passing time. I was just taking a break. That's all there is to it.

"I don't know...," I said.

There was a long awkward silence.

"I- I see. I guess I kind of got carried away.....sorry about that."

My heart tightened. How can I let something like this slip away? Isn't this an opportunity for me? I can finally get the answer as to why I was feeling so strange whenever I look at him. Before he could approach the door, I mustered all of my courage and called out to him.

"Uhm, wait!"

I don't know. I really don't know so,

"Jung Hyeri" I said.

"Huh?" he looked back with a bit of glint in his eyes.

"Your name...tell me your name,"

And then tell me, what this feeling is called.