Chapter 43

Oh! Brother

 

I wasn't sure what happened to Lay, or if he didn't hear me. But he remained speechless. His blank expression was driving me on the edge of my seat. Crap! Minji you messed up! I blamed myself for making such a bad idea, but something deep down told me this was a good idea. Guess I was wrong.

 

"Okay..." I trailed on and decided to stand up, "I'll be in my-" "Wait!" Lay cut me off. "Yes?" I looked at him grateful that he finally said something. Lay cleared this throat and sat up straight, "Tao forced you to choose between him and me and you picked me over him?" he repeated basically everything I just told him.

 

I nodded, "yeah, but I understand if you don't want to go with just us two." I slowly looked down feeling regret fill my body. Of course it would be awkward with just us two. "No actually I'm g-" "I'm back!" someone cut Lay off mid sentence. We both turned and saw Qui coming in shivering.

 

"I never really liked the cold." she said removing her coat and placing it in the coat closet located next to the door. "Hey kids." she smiled, "how was your day?" she asked removing her boots. "Fine and yours?" I asked. Lay turned off the t.v and exited the room. I watched him as he made his way to his room, just great. 

 

"It was good I forgot how much I missed worked." she chuckled and made her way to upstairs. "Is your dad not home?" she asked. "No he's not." I slowly sank back in the couch. Another opportunity to hear what Lay had to say ruined. "I'll be in the room if you need me!" Qui yelled from upstairs before closing the door. "Mhmm sure." I replied switching the t.v back on.

 

 

About an hour passed and I grew tired of the lame shows that were airing on t.v. Most were romantic or cheesy Christmas love stories which I wasn't in the mood for. So I decided to head to my room and text Hani until my dad showed up. I heard my dads voice echo throughout the house. "I'm home!" My head turned to my door and I decided to head downstairs to greet him.

 

Qui beat me to him, "honey I'm so sorry for the way I treated you this morning please forgive me." she pleaded. I could smell her perfume from afar and I knew she was getting "fancied" up to empress my dad. "Oh don't apologize honey it was my fault as well." he pecked her cheek. She smiled and kissed his lips in return.

 

"Yeah I'll be back later." I quickly excused myself before I witness something that would be engraved in my head forever. "Oops sorry." I felt something bump into me. I looked up and saw Lay standing before me. "O-oh sorry." I quickly backed away. He smiled, "looks like they're making up." he said referring to our parents.

 

I nodded not looking back, "yup don't want to disturb them come on." I laughed and went back to the living room. I was surprised when Lay decided to join me and not quickly make his way back to his room. There was an awkward silence and I could feel the tension fill the room.

 

"So..." I decided to speak up first, "about earlier today." Lay turned to look at me, "yeah?" I rubbed my nape and cleared my throat, "w-what were you going to say?" I questioned and returned my gaze at him. Lay shook his head, "nothing just I think it'll be fun just us two." he replied with a smile.

 

I melted on the inside, his warm and perfect smile always had this effect on me. "R-really?" I almost jumped from my seat. Lay chuckled, "yeah, but..." he trailed off. "But what?!" I almost yelled. Lay sighed, "I don't think our parents will approve." he replied.

 

My heart sank, he was right. Especially my dad, I know for sure my dad wouldn't approve of Lay and I going to a dance together. "Oh..." my tone was blank. Lay sighed, "It would have been better if Tao tagged along to be honest." I was totally crushed, is Lay ditching me?

 

"Y-yeah." was all I can say. I felt like a complete idiot. Why did I not think of our parents especially my dad. He doesn't even likes me sitting next to him when we're all together eating together. I'm an idiot.

 

"Sorry Minji is there anyway you and Tao can just go together? I don't really feel like going now I feel bad." he said. I looked at him confused, "bad? Why?" "Cause Tao did ask you first I didn't mean to ruin your date with him." Lay replied. "Ah," I shook my head and forced to smile, "it's fine don't feel bad I'm not really in the mood to go anyway." 

 

"You're not?" Lay tilted his head. I nodded, "yeah they're lame." I lied. "But you said they were fun." Lay crossed his arms. "Y-yeah but I went to a lot before and they're always the same. It's okay I'll just attend the next one besides I don't even have a dress." I came up with the only lame excuse I can find.

 

To be honest I was looking forward to this dance. Everyone online said it would be the best one yet. "Okay then if you say so." Lay nodded. "Yeah..." I trailed on. I didn't know what to say I was still trying to let everything sink in. "Kids," Qui's voice echoed through the living room. Both Lay's and my head turned to see her and my dad come out.

 

"We're going out for dinner." she smiled. "We left money in the kitchen so you two can order take out if you want." my dad added. "You two are going out without us?" Lay asked. Qui nodded with the biggest smile on her face, "yes your dad and I need a date night." "Don't stay up too late for us." my dad placed a coat on Qui's shoulders. "Call if you need anything." Qui said stepping out. "Don't call us." my dad whispered with a smile on his face as he stepped out.

 

"Okay bye." Lay waved as the door closed, "looks like it's just us." he turned to me. "Yeah." I sat back on the couch still feeling regretful of what I did. I should have never turned Tao down. "I'll order for us." Lay said as he headed to the kitchen. "What do you want?" he asked from the kitchen. I got up and headed upstairs, "order whatever I'm not hungry."

 

"You're not?" Lay's head popped out from the kitchen. "Yeah I'm sleepy I'll just sleep." I lied and continued upstairs not listening to what he had to say. I locked myself in my room and flopped my lifeless body on my bed. I let out a groan and kicked my legs, "Minji you're the biggest idiot on this earth." 

 

I sighed and laid in bed staring at the ceiling. "Guess I'll just miss this years winter dance." 

 

 

 

 

Winter break was over and it was back to school that following week. As expected Lay and I hardly spoke to each other since the day of he turned me down to the dance. We greeted each other and everything, but he stayed locked in his room and I stayed in mine. In some way it was bittersweet. If we kept this up long enough we'll grow till the age of moving out and never have to see each other again. Silly huh?

 

"Ahhhh Minji I missed you!" Hani attacked me with a hug as soon as I stepped foot on school grounds. The weather was freezing cold and all I wanted to do was walk into the nice heated school building, but a crazy girl was holding me back. "Hani we hung out just this weekend." I was un-amsued.

 

"Yo Kyungsoo get your girl." I could hear Chanyeol's deep voice. "Oh sorry." Hani laughed and pulled away, "guess what's this Saturday?!" she grinned swinging my arms around. It was too early for this and I was tired. "Aish what's with you?!" I almost yelled.

 

"Sorry Minji." Kyungsoo pulled Hani away. "Sup boss." Chanyeol greeted me next with his goofy grin. "Don't call me that." I pointed my finger at him and began heading to the building. "Sure thing boss." Chanyeol followed next to me. "Minji you still haven't bought a dress right?" Hani clung onto my arm with Kyungsoo's arm wrapped in the other.

 

"No I haven't cause I'm not going." I replied. "What?!" everyone gasped. I stopped in shock at how surprised they were. "What do you mean you're not going?!" Hani pulled my arm hard. "Ow." "Yeah why not boss you said you were going?!" Chanyeol was the next to pull my arm. "Okay ow stop it!" I rubbed my arms.

 

"Minji what happened I thought you and Tao were going together?" Kyungsoo seemed like the only was who was calm. "No he's taking someone else." Chanyeol replied to his question. "What?" I turned to him, this time I was shocked. "Yeah," he nodded, "some girl in his homeroom I think I'm not sure." Chanyeol scratched his nape. "Oh." Great.

 

"Minji you can come with us." Hani quickly added. "Yeah it'll be fun." Kyungsoo smiled. "Or I can take you boss." Chanyeol grinned. I smiled, "thanks guys, but I'm not in the mood." "But it's our last dance." Hani reached to grab my hand, "you have to go." she pouted. I pulled my hand away, "no and nothing will change my mind." Unless Lay asked me to be his date.

 

"Morning guys." I head a familiar voice. Our heads turned and I spotted Lay walking towards us. And look who shows up. "Ayo sup Lay." Chanyeol greeted him with a handshake. Lay smiled, "hey Chanyeol." "Hey Lay." Hani and Kyungsoo both waved at him. "Hey." Lay waved back. 

 

I quickly looked away, "anyway, I'm going inside I'm cold." I headed towards the school building. "Right behind you boss." "Stop calling me that!" 

 

 

As I excepted everyone was excited about the dance. If not stupid posters were taped on every wall that I looked at. "I heard we're going to have an awesome DJ." "The foods going to be amazing." "It's going to be way better then last years." Everywhere I turned I kept hearing these things.

 

"Can't this stupid dance be over already." I sighed and rested my head on the table. "Someone's sulking." I felt someone poke my cheek. I looked up and saw Sehun, "what's wrong?" he asked. I sat up, "nothing." It was lunch time and I was sitting with the guys except for Tao. I haven't seen him all day which worried me a bit. 

 

"Here have this." Xiumin held a chocolate bar to my face. "Thanks." I smiled and took it. "Hey that was mine!" Baekhyun slapped his arm. Xiumin laughed, "oops." I laughed and bite into it anyway. "Why aren't you going to the dance?" Kai asked as Xiumin and Baekhyun broke into a fight.

 

I glanced at Lay who had his headphones on listening to his music as always. I shrugged, "not in the mood." "Oh that ," Suho cut in, "I heard it's going to be amazing." Thanks Suho. "Maybe she doesn't have a date." Chen teased. I sent him a death stare. "Oh sorry." he quickly continued eating.

 

"You can come with us." Hani sighed. "Yeah." Kyungsoo added. "It's not because I don't have a date I just don't want to go." I grew frustrated. "Leave her alone." Chanyeol placed his long arm over my shoulder, "I got your back just tell me which I should kick first." I smiled at him, "thanks Chanyeol." I feed him a piece of the chocolate. He smiled, "anything for you boss." he ruffled my hair.

 

"You should come with us we're all going as a group." Suho suggested. "Yeah it'll be fun." Sehun nudged my arm with a smirk. I chuckled, "it's really fine guys I don't-" "Hey guys." I was caught off. I turned and saw Tao standing with a smile plastered on his face. And a girl...standing next to him...holding his hand.

 

"Hey Tao!" the table greeted him. "Who's she?" Chen asked almost reading my mind. "Oh everyone this is Eunji." he pulled her closer. "Hello." she smiled and bowed. I never really seen her around school, but she sure is pretty. "Hey Eunji." the guys waved. "Yeah I met her during break at the mall." Tao pulled her along to sit at the table.

 

I gulped and avoided eye contact. "I'm also in Tao's homeroom." she added. "Oh." the table nodded. I on the other hand just kept my eyes on my food, but was hearing everything clearly. "She's the one you're taking to the dance right?" Chanyeol asked. "Yeah," Tao replied, "and is also my girlfriend." My eyes widen and I bit down hard on my tongue keeping myself from saying anything.

 

WHAT?!

 

"Ow! Did you just bite me?!" Xiumin yelled. "That's what you get for taking my food!" Baekhyun yelled back.
 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» sorry for my sudden disappearing otl and another sorry if this story drags on too much ;n;. Hope you guise stick around :/. And please check out snowgirl's fic and support her~ > click here. Anyways I hope you enjoy this update and please remember to comment and subscribe if you're not already. Love you lots and happy reading ^^