Chapter 13

Oh! Brother

 

"Hani!" I was in complete shock. "W-what are you doing here?" I asked nervously. She looked at Lay then back at me , "how could you?" she cried and ran away.

 

"Hani wait!" I ran after her leaving Lay behind to deal with the groceries himself. "Hani stop you know I hate running!" I cried out. She stopped, "what is Lay doing at your house?" she asked.

 

I stopped and panted, "what?" Hani turned around, "are you two dating?" she asked.

 

"What?!" "You know I like him. Why would you do this to me?" Hani cried. I shook my head and walked towards her. "Lay and I aren't dating." I said.

 

"Then why is he at your house?" she asked. I took a deep breath, "you're not going to believe me." "Minji what's going on between you and Lay?" Hani asked crossing her arms.

 

I bit my lip, "you know how my dad's getting married?" Hani nodded, "yeah." "Well..." I trailed on. "Minji just spit it out!" she ordered.

 

"Lay is my step-brother." I confessed. I closed my eyes and waited for her to yell at me, but nothing happened. I opened my eyes and saw Hani frozen with her eyes wide. "Hani?" I got closer. "Hello?" I waved my hand in front of her face. She shook her head and blinked.

 

"Lay is your step-brother?" she asked. "Well not yet, until my dad marries his mom." I replied. "Why didn't you tell me?" Hani asked placing her arms on her hips. 

 

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know. I thought you would be mad." I replied. "Minji why would I be mad?" Hani asked with a smile appearing on her face. "I just thought you would." I replied.

 

Hani laughed, "I'm only mad because you didn't tell me." she said placing her arm on my shoulder. My eyes lit up, "so you're not mad at me?"

 

Hani shook her head,"no." I let my breath out, "oh thank goodness." "So..." Hani trailed off. "What?" I gave her a weird look. "Have you seen him shirtless?" she asked.

 

"Oh Hani!" I cried and covered my eyes.

 

 

I got home a few about 20 minutes later. It took a lot of begging to get Hani to just go home. "I'm so tired." I whined as I kicked off my shoes. "Minji where were you?" Qui asked.

 

I looked at her and shook my head, "I was just taking care of something." I replied. "Please tell me the rest of the groceries are still in the car." she said. I looked at her and smiled innocently, "not exactly."

 

Qui sighed and walked off, "I'm going to kill that boy." I smiled and made my way upstairs. I walked into my room and saw Lay playing some PC game.

 

"You're mom is looking for you." I said walking over to get a better look of what he was playing. It looked dark and hard to tell what was going on. "Oh." he simply said.

 

I leaned in, "what are you playing?" I asked squinting my eyes.

 

Just then a scary looking monster with black eyes, a huge mouth, and deformed face popped out of no where screaming. "Ah!" I jumped at least 10 feet back. 

 

"Crap I died." Lay said starting the game over. "What the heck was that?!" I shouted grabbing onto my racing heart. "Amnesia." Lay replied.

 

"You have serious issues if you find that fun." I said trying to calm down. Lay smiled, "so what happened to your friend?" he asked. I stood back not wanting another monster to pop up. "Nothing, we're cool now." I replied.

 

Lay nodded and turned to me, "want to play?" he offered his control. I shook my head, "no thank you."

 

"Minji, Yixing come on we're going out for dinner." I heard my dad call for us. I got up and walked to the door. "See buying junk food has it's benefits." Lay said walking behind me. I smiled, "guess so."

 

~~~~

 

"Minji Minji Minji!" Hani came running towards me. "What?" I asked as she came to a stop. "Does Lay have a girlfriend?" she asked. I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know." 

 

Hani grabbed my arm, "you think you can somehow find out for me?" she asked with hopeful eyes. "Hani!" I cried. "Please Minji, you'll be the bestest friend I've ever had." she begged.

 

"Why won't you just ask him?" I said walking into the school doors. "Are you kidding me?! I'll faint!" Hani cried. "It's not that big of a deal." I said.

 

"Then that's why you should do it." Hani grabbed my arm. "Please Minji be a good friend." she pouted. I closed my eyes, don't look at her. I pecked and saw her big puppy eyes. Damn it you looked! "Fine." I gave in.

 

"Yay!" Hani cheered and hugged me. "Yeah yeah, I'm awesome." I sighed walking away.

 

I walked into my science class and quickly sat down. I took out my notebook and started doing the problems that were on the board.

 

"Morning class." Mrs. Gong greeted us. "Morning Mrs. Gong." the class chimed together. "As you all may know Mr. Park is retiring today and we all should wish him a long and healthily life." she said.

 

I nodded, oh yeah Mr. Park is leaving. About time, that man is 104 years old.

 

"And the school is short on hiring new teachers." Mrs. Gong continued. I put my head down, no one cares.

 

"Please welcome new students Zhang Yixing and Huang Zitao." Mrs. Gong said catching my attention. Just then the two came in. My eyes widen and my heart started pounding.

 

"It's EXO." I heard two girls squeal behind me. No, please anyone but Lay. I wanted to transfer classes right away. "Please introduce yourself." Mrs. Gong said.

 

Tao stepped forward, "hello I'm Huang Zitao, but you can call me Tao for short." he bowed. My heart was going crazy, well at least he's here.

 

"Hello I'm Zhang Yixing, but you can call me Lay for short." he bowed and met my eyes. I quickly looked away, no you better not act like you know me especially in front of Tao.

 

"Great!" Mrs. Gong clapped her hands, "go sit in any empty seat." she said. "Oh sit over here!" girls started yelling and pointing at seats close to them.

 

There was one empty seat next to me and I know who I wanted to sit there. I looked up and saw Tao bow, ignoring the offers that were given to him. "Over here." I called out to him and pointed at the seat next to me.

 

Tao saw me and nodded. He made his way towards me and I held onto my hands, yes Tao is going to sit next to me. I was going crazy on the inside. "Is this seat taken?" Lay came out of no where and quickly sat down.

 

My eyes widen and fist clenched, "no!" I cried. "great then I'll sit here." Lay said taking out his notebook. I looked back at Tao who shrugged his shoulders and took the seat far from me next to Taemin. "No." I sank down into my seat.

 

"Okay starting today the people that sit next to you will be your partners from now on. So get comfortable and start todays reading on page 170." Mrs. Gong instructed.

 

Lay turned to me, "hello partner." I groaned and laid my head on the desk.

 

~~~~

 

I met up with Hani in the cafeteria. "Minji have you talked to Lay yet?" she asked. "Hello to you too." I said getting in line. "Sorry, hello." Hani smiled and waved.

 

I let out a small smile, "sorry I'll tell him later." Hani jumped, "omo what if he has a girlfriend?" she asked in a worried tone. I thought for a while, does Lay have a girlfriend?" He never talks about it.

 

I shook my head, "nah I doubt it." I said grabbing a pizza slice.

 

We sat down at our table. "You think Lay will let us sit with EXO?" Hani asked. I shook my head, "no." "But he's your brother." "Step-brother." I corrected her. "Sorry." she apologized.

 

I looked at her, "Hani you're the only one who knows about this." I leaned in so no one else could hear, "and I'd like to keep it that way." Hani smiled and nodded, "don't worry I won't tell anyone." 

 

I stared at her for a while, can I trust her? I smiled and took a bite of my pizza, yeah.

 

 

"Minji." I heard my name being called. I turned around and saw Tao making his way towards me. I smiled and lip up, "hey." I waved at him. 

 

"Thanks for saving me a seat." he said as he approached me. I closed my locker, "I'm sorry. I tried, but that Lay guy took it." I said trying to make it seem like I didn't know him.

 

"It's okay." Tao smiled making butterflies flutter everywhere inside me. I heard a phone ring. "Oh that's me." Tao said taking out his phone.

 

"Hello?" he answered, "oh hey what's up?" he asked lifting a finger. I nodded and waited. "Really? Okay I'll be there right away." he said hanging up.

 

"Sorry I have to go." Tao said. I nodded my head, "it's okay." "See you tomorrow." he said waving and walking away. "Bye." I waved back and saw him suddenly run off. Hum that's weird.

 

"I'm home!" I said out loud as I stepped into the house. There was no response, "must still be at work." I said to myself as I walked through the living room and upstairs.

 

I walked into my room and saw Lay pulling down his shirt. "Where are you going?" I asked placing my bag down. He was wearing a while polo shirt with khaki pants.

 

"To work." he replied. "You have a job?!" I was surprised. Lay nodded, "I start today." "So that means I get the whole house to myself?" I got excited. "Sure whatever." Lay replied and grabbed his keys.

 

"Yay! I finally have the house to myself!" I cheered, "I missed having the t.v to myself." I added. "Yeah yeah." Lay walked pass me, "I'll be home around 8 so let my mom know is she comes home." he said. "Yeah yeah, hurry up and go." I pushed him down.

 

"Lock up and don't answer the door for anyone." Lay said grabbing his shoes. "What are you? My dad?" I gave him a weird look. "Just lock the doors." he said walking out. I rolled my eyes and closed the door. I turned around, "the whole house to myself." I got excited and ran to the living room.

 

I kicked my legs up like old times and the t.v.

 

I checked the clock, "wow 20 minutes and I'm already bored." I said turning off the t.v. I walked to the kitchen, but I wasn't really hungry so I went upstairs.

 

I laid on my bed and stared at the ceiling, "what to do?" I grabbed my phone and started playing a game. "Die you stupid pig!" I yelled, "ugh forget you!" I tossed it aside as I lost again.

 

I sat up, "it's so boring." I whined. I saw Lay's lap top open. "Lay's not here maybe I can play that one game." I said to myself as I sat in front of it. "It's daytime so it shouldn't be that scary." I said as I pressed start.

 

Suddenly there was a strange and spooky sound coming from the speakers. I quickly lowered the volume, "come one Minji it's just a stupid game." I told myself, "I bet I can beat his high score." I said as the game began.

 

~~~~

 

LAY POV

 

"Thank you so much dear." Mrs. Huang pinched my cheeks. I smiled, "I'll be back tomorrow to help." I said grabbing my keys. "Yes honey thank you so much for your time." she said sending me off.

 

"Hey thanks man I owe you." Tao said coming towards me. I shook my head, "don't worry about it." "It's just my grandma's shop isn't doing too well and I don't want her to close it down since it's all she has left." he said.

 

I nodded, "it's okay I don't mind lending a hand." Tao smiled and patted my back, "thanks I'll see you tomorrow." he said walking back to his grandma. I nodded and started walking home.

 

I saw the drive way empty, "they're still not here." I said to myself as I made my way to the front door. I shrugged my shoulders and ignored it. "I'm home." I called out.

 

I looked around, there was no sign of anyone. "Hum is she here?" I asked myself as I ran upstairs. "Minji I'm home." I walked into the room.

 

"Go away you monster!" she was on the floor covering her ears and crying crying. I panicked and ran to her, "Minji what's wrong?!" I asked. She flinched, "t-they won't stop yelling!" she cried and pointed at the lap top.

 

I looked and saw the stupid monster on the screen screaming. I quickly shut the screen, "why were you playing?" I asked her. She had tears streaming down her face. I remember the first time I played this game, it left me traumatized for days.

 

"I-I wanted to beat your score." she replied wiping her tears away. I sighed, "Minji you shouldn't play that game it's not for you." I said heading to the door to get something to eat.

 

"Wait!" Minji gabbed my shoulder. I turned back. "I'll go with you." she said holding onto my shoulder. I let out my breath, "you go first." I pushed her forward.

 

"No they can be waiting for me downstairs." she cried. "You go first." she pushed me and stayed close behind. I sighed, "this is going to be a long night.

 

~~~~

 

After constant checking the closets and the restrooms Minji finally laid down. "Where's my dad?" she asked. I shrugged my shoulder, "must be working late." I replied turning to my side to get some sleep.

 

"Lay." I heard her call my name. "Hum?" "C-can you check under my bed?" she asked. "You got to be kidding me?" I turned to her. "Please I'm so scared." she cried holding the blanket to her face.

 

I sighed and swung my legs over my bed. I walked to her bed and kneeled down. "Theres nothing here now can you-" I stopped when I saw that she was gone. "Minji?" I looked around.

 

"Over here." I heard her voice. I looked back and saw her laying on my bed. "Minji what are you doing?" I got up. "C-can I sleep with you?" she asked. "What?" My eyes widen.

 

"P-please I'm so scared." she cried, "I would go with my dad, but he's not here and I'm really scared Lay." I saw a few tears escape her eyes. I took a deep breath and walked to her, "who said you should play the game?" I asked her.

 

"You offered yesterday." she replied. Oh yeah I forgot. "Minji it's just a game." I said. "Yeah a scary and traumatizing game, I can still hear that thing yelling and popping out of no where." she brought the blanket to her chin. "Please Lay don't be mean just for today." she begged.

 

I closed my eyes and sighed, "fine, but just today." "I get the wall." she quickly scooted over and laid against it. I slowly laid next to her, "whatever, but you do know they pop out of walls too."

 

"Lay!" Minji cried and held onto me. I was taken back. She buried her face into my chest, "Minji?" "Don't say that?" she responded. I couldn't help but smile. She was acting like a complete 5 year old.

 

I slowly patted her back, "there there baby, it's okay." She held on tighter to my shirt, "I'll protect you from those monsters." I said as I brought my arm around her and held onto her. 

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» ahhhh so many Lay feels!!!!! I hope you liked this update. Please comment and subscribe ^^