Chapter 37

Oh! Brother

 

MINJI POV

 

I couldn't sleep the entire night. I was too broken. Why? I can only blame myself, why am I so stupid? Did I actually think Lay and I would be a thing? Come on, we're step siblings for crying out loud. I should have known this from the start, yet I let myself fall head over heels for someone I can never be with. 

 

I really am an idiot. My phone rang causing me to groan. I didn't want to talk to anyone, I just wanted to stay under the covers and let the world pass by without me. Pretty dramatic huh? I rubbed my swollen, tired, eyes and reached for the phone not even bothering to check who it was.

 

"Hello?" I answered. 

"Merry Christmas!" they yelled giving me a bigger headache then I already had.

"What?" I looked at the caller i.d and noticed it was Tao.

"Merry Christmas Minji hope you're having fun where ever you are." he said.

I sighed, I'm not. "Thanks."

"You sound weird, you okay?" he asked.

"Yes, thanks. And Merry Christmas to you too." I replied.

"When you coming back?" Tao asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "probably this week."

"You'll be here for New Years right?" he asked.

"I think so." I replied. 

"Good, well I'll let you go. Trying not to smother you." he laughed.

I didn't want him to hang up, I needed to talk to someone. "Okay, bye." I decided to let him go. Who would want to spend their Christmas hearing about a girls problems? Tao hung up and I buried myself back in my blanket.

 

"Yixing!" I heard someone yell. I quickly shot up, but laid back down. I didn't want to see him, it may cause me more of a heart break. Just then my door swung open making me jump. "Minji!" I heard someone growl. I turned and saw a pissed off Lay. 

 

I sat up. "You forgot didn't you." he hissed. I swallowed hard, "w-what?" "I should have known." he scoffed," I don't know why I spent the entire night waiting for you to show up in the freezing cold." His words shocked me, "y-you stayed out there all night?" I felt horrible. His cheeks were red and so was his nose. His lips looked like a dry deserts ground. And his hands were ghost white.

 

"L-lay I-" Lay glared at me, "forget it It's not important anymore." he stormed out. "Yixing I got you the blanket!" Qui ran pass my door holding up a blanket. I sighed and threw myself back, "great Minji, now he hates you." I felt another round of tears coming on.

 

~~~~

 

I didn't leave the room until noon. "Minji!" my dad called my name. "Don't yell!" Mei hit his arm and covered her ears. I can tell she probably had a hangover by the way she looked. Her hair was a mess and she had a look on her face as if she was smelling something bad. "Hey." I waved and sat next to him on the couch.

 

Lay wasn't present and neither was Victoria which surprised me. I was certain she would be here. "Where's Yixing?" I asked concerned. "He's sleeping." Qui replied, "can you believe he stayed out all night waiting for the sun to rise?" she added. I furrowed my eyebrows, he must had came up with some lie. 

 

I sighed and slouched, "he must be tired." "Oh," my dad snapped his fingers and reached for a small gift from under the tree, "Merry Christmas honey." he smiled. I returned the smile and grabbed it, "thank you." "I hope you like it," Qui sat next to my dad, "I picked it out." she added.

 

I shook the box, "I wonder what it is?" I began to unwrap it. Inside was a white Baby G watch by Girls' Generation. "Omo!" I quickly pulled it out, "it's so pretty." I squealed. "I told you she'd like it." Qui slapped my dads arm softly. I nodded and put it on, "thanks it's perfect." 

 

I held my arm out, it really looked good on me, but something else caught my eye. The red bracelet Lay got me when we first arrived. I took a deep breath and ran my fingers across it. "You okay?" my dad asked. "Huh." I looked up, "oh yeah." I forced a smile and went to reach under the tree. "I also got you two something." I said handing them different gifts.

 

"Minji you didn't have to." Qui said taking hers. "But I want to." I said and anticipated their reaction. My dad quickly tore off the wrap, "cologne." he held out the same cologne I was going to give Lay. "Yes." I said, "I hope you like it." My dad spayed some on his wrist. "Mmm smells good." Qui said taking in the scent. My dad sniffed his wrist, "it's not bad."

 

"My turn." Qui beamed and began to carefully open her gift. "Oh Minji this is pretty." she held out a pair of earrings. "Really?" I asked. Qui nodded and began to put them on, "they're wonderful thanks honey." she got up and hugged me. I smiled and hugged her back, "no problem. Thank you for putting up with me." I said. "What are you talking about? You're amazing." she patted my shoulder.

 

I forced a smile while on the inside I wanted to pull my own hair out. There was a sudden knock on the door. All our heads turn to the door. "Mom are you accepting someone?" Qui asked shaking her. "Huh? Go away!" she groaned and turn to her other side.

 

Qui rolled her eyes and went to answer the door. I turned back to my dad, "I hope you'll wear it." I said referring to the cologne. He smiled, "I will." "AHH!" we heard Qui yell. Our heads shot in her direction. "I can't believe you made it!" Qui held her arms open and in came another women followed by a man. 

 

My dad and I both stood up. "How can we not come?" the women said almost in tears. They hugged and broke free. "You must be Taehyun." the lady said approaching my dad. "Oh yes hello." my dad bowed. "I'm Qui's sister Xui Li." she bowed. "Hey sis." I heard the man say and hug Qui.

 

I was confused, are these Qui's siblings? "Hello." Xui Li came up to me and gave me a warm hug. "Uh..." I hugged her back not knowing what to do. "You're so pretty." she said pulling away. From afar Qui and Xui Li look nothing alike, but up close they both have the same nose and smile.

 

"Yes." I nodded feeling nervous. "Honey this is Zhou Mi and Xui Li, there my brother and sister." Qui came forward and introduced us almost in tears. "Hello." we both bowed. "Where's mom?" Xui Li asked Qui. "Over there." Qui pointed on the couch where Mei was snoring.

 

"Just the same way we left her." Xui Li sighed and went to her. "Hello I'm Qui's younger brother." Zhou Mi went to my dad and held out his hand. "Yes, it's very nice to meet you." my dad said and shook his hand. "Take care of her okay." Zhou Mi said patting his shoulder. "I will." my dad bowed and Zhou Mi went to Mei.

 

Zhou Mi walked by me and I had to admit he was hot. Dang are all of Lay's family members this good looking? Zhou Mi smiled and messed with my hair, "hey baby girl." Even though I had no idea what he said I still blushed, "hello." I bowed. 

 

"Mom get up." Xui Li held up a passed out Mei. "Move I'll wake her up." Zhou Mi grabbed Mei face and kissed her cheek. "Aw." I said holding my hands together, "cute~" Just then Mei opened her eyes, "Zhou Mi?" "Hello mom." Zhou Mi helped her sit up. Mei blinked a couple of times, "baby!" she threw her arms in the air and took her son in a hug.

 

I couldn't help but get emotional, it's a family reunion. "I thought you wouldn't come." Mei cried and hugged Xui Li. "We couldn't come on Christmas eve, but we're here on Christmas." Xui Li replied. Zhou Mi wiped Mei tears away, "don't cry mom." Mei held his hand to her cheek, "I missed you!" she cried and hugged them all.

 

"What's with all this screaming?" I turned around and saw Lay coming down rubbing his eyes. My heart skipped a beat. "Yixing!" Xui Li yelled and pushed Zhou Mi out of the way, "I missed my baby nephew!" she cried and hugged him. "Xui Li?" Lay was taken off guard, "you're here."

 

Xui Li nodded and hugged him, "how's my pretty princess?" she began to kiss his cheek repeatedly. I laughed as Lay tried to escape from her. "Stop! I told you to stop calling me that." Lay cried. My dad laughed, "what's so funny?" I asked him. "She called him pretty princess." he replied. "Really?" I snorted and started to laugh.

 

"Stop!" Lay pushed her away and wiped his cheek. "Oh you're still the same Yixing." Xui Li glared at him, but began to kiss and pinch his cheeks again. "There leave him alone." Zhou Mi pushed Xui Li away, "hello Yixing." "Hello." Lay bowed. The two stared at each other then cracked a smile. "I missed you." Zhou Mi hugged Lay. "Me too." Lay hugged him back.

 

"We need to celebrate." Qui clapped her hands. "Yes yes I'm going to cook all your favorites." Mei nodded and went to the kitchen. "I'll help." Xui Li raised her hand. "Me too." Qui said and the two locked arms and followed behind Mei. "How about we do some male bonding?" Zhou Mi asked my dad.  

 

"Sure, what about fishing?" he offered. "Sounds good." Zhou Mi smiled and I almost melted. "Dad," I tugged his sleeve, "c-can I go too?" I asked. "You want to go?" my dad asked a bit surprised, "but you hate fishing." "No," I shook my head and looked at Zhou Mi, "I mean I haven't really gave it a shot." 

 

"Let her come it'll be fun." Zhou Mi said. I bit my bottom lip and bowed, "thank you." "I'll go too." Lay raised his hand. "But aren't you tired?" my dad asked. I turned to Lay feeling a bit uneasy. Lay gazed at me and quickly looked back at my dad, "no I'm fine now." "Good." Zhou Mi clapped his hands, "lets go."  

 

"Honey we're going fishing we'll be back soon." my dad yelled. "Okay have fun." I heard Qui reply. "Here." Zhou Mi held out a huge winter jacket, "it's going to be cold." I took it and nodded, "thank you." Zhou Mi smiled and opened the door, "after you." I bit the insides of my cheek and went out, please don't embarrass yourself Minji.

 

~~~~

 

3RD POV

 

The drive was long which gave Zhou Mi and Minji's dad a chance to get to know each other. "Wow you're 27 and already graduated from law school?" Mr. Lee was shocked. "Yes, and afterwards I'm going to the states." Zhou Mi added. Minji tried to keep up with their conversation even though it was in Chinese.

 

"And you?" Zhou Mi looked at Minji which caught her by surprise. "Me?" she pointed at herself. Zhou Mi nodded, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" "Uh..." Minji trialed on. "A janitor." Lay replied making Zhou Mi laugh. "Really?" Minji looked at Lay, "what did you say?" Lay looked up and shook his head, "nothing."

 

"We're here." Minji's dad pointed out at a lake. "No one's here? I'm surprised." Zhou Mi said taking off his seatbelt. "Well it is Christmas." Minji's dad said taking his seatbelt off as well. "True." Zhou Mi chuckled. Minji quickly took hers off and hopped out the car.

 

Lay sighed and got out as well, the only reason he came was to be close to Minji. Even though he was mad at her he still wanted to come to make sure she was safe. Knowing Minji, he knows she'll probably fall in the water or something. "Ah I like the fresh air." Zhou Mi stretched. Minji stood next to him and began stretching as well.

 

Zhou Mi noticed and found it cute, "you're cute." he messed with her hair. Lay caught this and his fist tighten. What the heck does she see in him? "Can anyone help me?" Taehyun asked bringing out four fishing poles. "Oh sorry." Zhou Mi quickly went to help him out.

 

Minji followed behind him and also helped out. "Here you get the small one." Zhou Mi handed her a thin, green, fishing pole. "Thank you." Minji bowed and took it. He kindly handed Lay his, "you get the second smallest one." he laughed. Lay scoffed and walked away.

 

Zhou Mi was a bit surprised to see how Lay acted towards him. "Okay lets head out." Minji's dad closed the trunk and started walking towards the lake. Everyone reached the shore and started to set up. Minji's dad put the bate on his pole and gracefully swung his wire out. 

 

Minji watched and tried to follow. "Ouch!" she brought her finger to as the hook poked her. "Here I'll help you." Zhou Mi put his rod down. He grabbed the bate and hooked it on for her. "Thanks." Minji said as he finished. Zhou Mi smiled and began to put his bate on.

 

Lay scoffed at what he was seeing and accidently poked his finger as well. "Crap!" he dropped his pole. "Need help?" Zhou Mi offered. "No." Lay rudely replied and walked away. Zhou Mi shrugged his shoulders and swung his wire out. Lay stood behind then and watched.

 

"I can't do this." Minji cried as the bate got tangled as she was about to swing it out. "Here let me help." Zhou Mi put his pole down and went behind her. "What?" Minji looked at him and he grabbed her hand. "Don't force it," he instructed, "without even trying release the wire." he swung her rod still holding onto her hand.

 

Minji grew hot even though it was cold out. "T-thanks." she said as her wire went out. "There you go." he messed with her hair and went back to his rod. Lay grew furious, why the heck is he touching her? Getting frustrated Lay went back and grabbed his fishing pole, I'll show him off.

 

"I got one!" Minji's dad yelled and began to reel it in. "Really?" Minji's eye widen as he struggled to pull in the fish. Just then the fish came to view. "Whoo!" Zhou Mi cheered and Minji's dad brought it in. "I caught the first one." he said holding it up. "Yay you go dad!" Minji cheered.

 

"Oh I caught one!" Zhou Mi  said. "I got one!" Minji jumped. "Really?" Lay was surprised. "I'm getting one!" she jumped. "Hurry pull it in." her dad said. "Here it comes!" Zhou Mi said as the two struggled to bring it in. "Hey." Minji furrowed her eye brows as the two accidently got caught in each others hooks. "Phahaha!" Zhou Mi broke out into laughter and so did Minji. 

 

"You two got caught in each others wire." Minji's dad laughed. Zhou Mi reeled it in and untied the two, "Looks like we're suppose to be attached to each other." he said. Minji smiled and waited for him finishing untying it. Lay boiled with anger and started to walk away from the two.

 

Minji saw him walking away and felt bad, just give him some space. She told her self. "There you go." Zhou Mi handed her back her rod. "Thank you." Minji took it and like he taught her, she swung the wire back into the lake.

 

~~~~

 

It was getting late. So far Minji's dad caught 7 fishes, Zhou Mi caught 5 and Minji caught 3. But Lay still had no luck. "We should get going." Minji's dad said checking his watch. "Yeah the girls must be wondering when we're going to be home." Zhou Mi added. "Minji lets go." he father told her. "Yes." Minji reeled her rod in and followed behind the two.

 

Lay was still determined to catch at lease one stupid fish. I'll show Minji I can also catch a stupid fish. Just then he felt something tug his rod. "Oh I got one!" he got excited and began to reel it in, but the fish was stronger then he thought. Minji turned to look for Lay, "Lay we're leaving!" she yelled.

 

Just then she heard a slash and began to freak out. "Oh no!" she ran back down and looked around. "Lay!" she yelled. "Ah!" she heard Lay yell and saw something slashing in the distance. Her eyes widen and her heart began to race, "Lay!" she didn't think and drove into the lake.

 

Lay still couldn't swim and had a hard time keeping up. "Help!" he cried and kicked his legs, but it was no help. He would sink down and take in a lot of water. "HELP!" Minji's dad and Zhou Mi heard him yell and quickly ran back to the lake. Minji swam to him as fast as she could.

 

"Lay!" she grabbed his arm. "Minji!" Lay yelled before he sank back under the water. "Lay get on." she grabbed his arm and made him get on her. Lay pushed her down to get air, "Minji!" he yelled. Minji began to take in a lot of water as Lay held her down.

 

"Lay...s-stop." she yelled as she reached up for air. "Minji!" Lay cried pushing her back down. Minji knew it was no use to fight to stay up so she began to swim under water making sure Lay would keep his head above water. Lay noticed he was moving back to the shore and saw Zhou Mi reaching for him.

 

He took his hand and he pulled him out. Minji popped out gasping for air. "Minji!" her father grabbed her hand and pulled her out. Minji coughed and tried to catch her breath. "Yixing you okay?" Zhou Mi asked him. Lay coughed as well and looked at Minji as her dad tried to keep her warm.

 

Lay suddenly felt bad for almost drowning and putting her in danger. He got up and walked away. "Yixing!" Zhou Mi called for him. Minji looked up and saw that Lay was gone, "w-w-where did he g-go?" she stuttered. "We should get her home." Zhou Mi helped her up and placed his coat around her.

 

Minji looked around for Lay, but he was no where to be found. She squinted her eyes and spotted a head walking towards the other side of the lake. "Lay!" she yelled and ran after him. Zhou Mi and her father watched as she ran off. "Should we go after her?" her father asked. Zhou Mi smiled, "no let them be." 

 

"Lay!" Minji panted as she caught up to him. "What?" Lay asked still mad at himself. "Where are you going?" she asked. "None of your business." Lay replied walking away. "I'm sorry I didn't go see you last night!" she spilled out causing Lay to stop and listen. "The truth is I didn't forget," Lay turned around to face her, "I was just hurt." 

 

Lay furrowed his eye brows, "hurt?" Minji nodded, "I-I saw you and Victoria kiss and...got upset." she looked down. "Why would you get upset?" he asked crossing his arms. "B-because..." Minji trailed on, "I," she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

 

"Like you." Lay finished for her.
 

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» AHHHH IS IT FINALLY REVEALED?!?!?! Or am I trolling you again xD jkjk. I hoped you liked this update. Please comment and subscribe ^^