Chapter 21

Forget-Me-Not

JOY'S POV

"Get your asses off the floor right now! Y'all still have 50 push-ups to complete. Come on, get up!", the trainer bellowed and everyone including me groaned in exhaustion. We have been doing physical exercise for the past two hours and I felt like I was about to faint. However, I couldn't just disobey my trainer so I started doing push-ups and internally counted them. Suddenly the gymnasium door creaked open with a loud bang and everyone turned around. Yeri almost fell because of the sudden entry and we all had a good laugh teasing her. 

The newcomer was no one else but Bae Irene and everyone was in awe of her beauty, including me and Yeri. I was, however, even more, shocked by the other newcomer who accompanied Irene. I did not know who that girl was but I wanted to get to know her. She was so pretty that I felt insecure about myself and I even thought that Irene must have felt the same. I stared at her in awe and to my utter surprise, a pair of big, golden brown eyes met mine and I instantly felt my cheeks heat up and I dropped my eyes to the ground. I later learned that the beautiful girl with Irene was Kang Seulgi.


"YERI! GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE- Oh hi.", I immediately stopped shouting at Yeri as I soon as I saw Seulgi and Wendy standing in the corridor, eyeing her strangely since she was screaming. 

"Hey.", Seulgi said with a cute smile and oh my God I am so lucky to even exist at the same time as her. I smiled back rather giddily and blushed again after noticing Wendy's amused expression. 

"What did Yeri do this time?", Seulgi asked with mischief written in her face and it was clear that she knew what Yeri actually did. Wait.

OH MY GOD, MY FACE!

I realised that I still had my moustache. I'm so gonna kill Yeri. Seulgi and Wendy started laughing at my realisation of my face's condition and hearing her laugh, I side-tracked my kill plan and focused on her.

"Well, you already know. Watch out for any dead bodies today. It might be a short blonde named Kim Yerim.", I whispered in her ear as I moved forward and ran ahead without looking back. Before turning the corner, I heard Wendy's laugh. But I couldn't focus on that any longer as I saw Yeri and I ran again at full speed to catch her.


"Sooyoung, I don't care about your personal reasons. You are lacking in your training program and this is not the time to think about your long-lost family. Focus, Sooyoung. I will not tolerate any more excuses from you. Get back to the shooting range and ing do what you're supposed to do." Irene stormed off after shouting at me for once again sleeping during the training. It was a stupid thing to do but I had my reasons. Irene did not give a about my reasons so I finished my last round at the shooting range, hitting the mannequin target perfectly and went to my dorm only to find Yeri and Saeron having a movie night. Yeri claimed Saeron was her best friend but we all knew better. 

At that moment, I felt like a huge disappointment and ran to the roof to have some alone time. It was a warm evening and I laid back on the floor with my arms under my head and looked at the blue sky for I don't know how long. After some time, the sky started to get blurry and I realised that I was crying. I let my tears fall as I didn't know what else to do. I wanted to find my long-lost sister who is supposedly alive according to a cryptic e-mail but I did not know how. I was failing the training program and it was just too much at the moment, so I let out all my tears. 

"Hey, what's wrong?", I jerked away from the concerned voice but soon relaxed when I found Seulgi squatting in front of me. I quickly wiped my tears away and turned around so that she won't see my face. But, to my shock and delight, she put her hands on my shoulders and turned me around. Her face was so close to mine and I just couldn't breathe.

Why are you so beautiful Kang Seulgi?

She made sure that I faced her completely and the softly whispered, "It's okay. You can tell me what's wrong."

I avoided looking at her eyes and mumbled about what happened. 

"It's actually really silly. I was just overwhelmed, I guess.", I ended my pathetic explanation and Seulgi still looked at me with the same attention and concern. I was beginning to fall for those eyes.

"No, it's actually not. Irene can be a little harsh and y sometimes, to be honest. That's how she gets her job done and that's how she motivates everyone around her.", she said.

"Motivation? This just seems like more pressure rather than motivation.", I said to which Seulgi nodded understandingly. She laid down and tugged my hand lightly and I did the same. 

"The thing with Irene is that she has high expectations for the people that she cares about. Yes, you can ask me why she would care about you but she kinda does. I know this because she has spoken about to so much since you joined the training academy and honestly I'm confused as well. Being stern is how she shows her affection. It might be because of her childhood and maybe she mistook harshness for love and concern. I don't know that but just don't let it get to you. You're the best trainee I have seen in years and I have been for ages, trust me.", she explained and ended it with a wink and a shy smile. That made me feel so many things that I don't even know how to explain. I took in a deep breath and nodded my head.

"I understand what you're saying. Maybe instead of writing her off as a y boss, I should take this as a challenge and prove that I can be better.", I felt proud of myself for saying that when I saw the beaming smile Seulgi had on her face.

"That's my girl!", she exclaimed and gave me an awkward high-five which made us both laugh. 

"You want to become a field agent?", she asked me. I nodded yes. 

"That takes a lot of courage, Sooyoung. I would never join the field team.", she said with a sigh and I also deeply sighed when I heard her say my real name. I liked the way it sounded.

"It has always been my dream since I was a kid. I have always wanted to shoot the bad guys and save all the good people in this world.", I said in a dreamy child-like voice which made Seulgi chuckle in delight. 

"I don't like bloodshed. So I confine myself to intelligence department and it's kinda more fun for me since I'm a computer geek. I do know that if I have to protect the ones I love or like-", she looked at me as she said this and I choked on my saliva,"-o-or just anyone I care about, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anybody.", she said so firmly and looked at me square in the eyes I felt so safe in the open terrace of the tallest building in the state.

"I-wait, did you just groan?", I was so confused as I suddenly heard someone groan in pain or annoyance, I wasn't sure. She shook her head and we both stared at each other in shock. I heard someone shuffling in the back so I signalled Seuglgi to sit where she was and I slowly crept to a water tank and I distinctly heard two voices. 

"Yeri!?! Wendy?!!!", Seulgi heard me calling our friend's name and came running after. We had caught them red-handed.

"What are you doing here Wendy?", Seulgi asked with annoyance and Wendy just smiled at her stupidly and looked at Yeri.

Yeri was not having it so she just opened up about what they were doing. 

"We both came here to watch you."

"Yeri do-"

"Shut up, Wendy. We are caught okay. Let's just come clean." Yeri said and Wendy had no other go but to accept her decision.

"Why are you watching us?" I asked.

"Well, it's rather clear that you both like each other but you just won't say it out loud. ARGH! It's so frustrating for me to watch it all and Wendy agrees with me. So we wanted to know if you guys would confess at least today but you both .", she huffed an annoyed breath and I was so embarrassed that Yeri said that out loud. I took a peek at Seulgi and noticed that she was glaring at Wendy but she had a tint of red on her cheeks. She turned around at the same time and we both looked at each other and instantly became even more embarrassed. Seulgi awkwardly chuckled and Yeri and Wendy cooed in the background as they were making their escape while we were having a moment.

I sighed and chuckled along with her and soon we both laughed at what happened and when hysteria came down I began to talk.

"Well, now that it's out there. I do like you, you know.", I said. I gasped when I felt a warm hand clasped mine and when a pair of most beautiful eyes looked at me with adoration. 

"I like you too.", she said and looked down at our clasped hands fondly. 

I felt like I was in heaven.

Until I wasn't anymore. Until I felt a growing sense of unease and a huge ball of light swallowing me and I felt a surge of electricity pass through me.

I remember. I thought to myself as I passed out again.