Chapter 1

If Ever You Need Me, I'll Be There

Taemin looks at Jinki. There's hearts in his eyes and butterflies in his heart. He loves this man that holds him close and that scares him...but it's not what scares him the most. What scares him the most is that he knows how much the man loves him too. He knows that Jinki would jump through fire and flame for him; but Jinki shouldn't do that.

Jinki is goodness. Jinki is love. An angle in disguise. He takes too little and loves too much. Taemin doesn't know how to be loved. He comes from broken homes and broken hearts. He gives too little and expects too much.

So Taemin looks at Jinki, really looks at him, drinking in the image of this man that means so much to him, committing it to memory. It's going to hurt, but he knows what he has to do.

"Jinki, I'm breaking up with you."


Jinki looks at Taemin and all he sees is freedom. In a world full of rich parents and raised expectations, Taemin was the risk worth taking. Taemin was broken , but he had a heart of gold. But sometimes broken things can never be fully mended.

Jinki looks at Taemin and it hurts. God it hurts. Like a thousand fires burning through him, he feels his heart break. But he sees Taemin, really sees him, the tears in his eyes, the furrow of his brow, and he understands. This isn't what Taemin wants, but it is what he needs; and that's all Jinki ever wants to give Taemin....what he needs.

Jinki stands up, wiping a fallen tear from Taemin's cheek, and let's his hand settle for a minute, feeling Taemin's skin against his palm before he heads towards the door. Before he leaves, he turns to the man he loves so much and speaks.

"If ever you need me, I'll be there. Always."

He leaves the apartment building and makes it to the end of the street before his legs give out and his heart truly breaks. He falls to his knees and tries to breath properly.

Jinki cries, and so does Taemin.