Prologue | The Mages Coven: The Induction

Arise

The Mages Coven: The Induction

 

 

 

 

 

Laughter, animated chatter, and merry music filled the castle on the first morning of the official fall. Sophia watches from her seat atop the thrown, donning her golden ball gown and up to the neck in lavish gold jewelry. Still, she is not appeased. She wants to dance and join in on the festivities, but it was considered unbecoming, specifically since most of her close family is deceased and she is still unmarried, a status she intends to maintain, despite the council’s wishes.  

 

Sophia is the epitome of her mother, a kindred spirit, unwilling to be tamed, and the only reason for the crown upon her head is simply because she is the last of her line and one of her greatest fears is to disappoint her parent’s and her people. Despite the latter’s uneasiness toward her and her ability to lead, her people are still the most precious thing to her and when the elder’s had placed the crown upon her head, she had taken a silent oath to protect them, so it is only with a fond smile does she watch them bounce around gleefully and laugh with mirth.

 

Soon, she finds herself smiling, because despite the restrictions placed on her, the mere presence of her people still filled her with the same joy.

 

“Enjoying yourself, my queen?”

 

“I want to dance” She pouts at her advisor and only living cousin, Edris.

 

“I’m afraid that will have to wait, dearest cousin. You have a guest. A very important one at that.”

 

“May I inquire who this guest is?” She asks, because it was not common for guests from other kingdoms to show up on the Induction day of a witch. It was considered taboo, which meant the matter must be urgent.  

 

“It is best you see for yourself.” Is the elder’s reply before turning and beckoning for someone to come forward.  

 

Sophia has to do a double take to make sure she’s seeing correctly and the shock must be evident on her face because Edris laughs at her, as does the guest.

 

“My handsomeness has shocked the queen!” Kim Taehyung teases, smirking deviously. Edris laughs until Sophia silences him with a glare, dismissing him with the wave of her hand.

 

“You are a fool, but a welcome one. Have a seat.” Sophia motions to one of the many chairs surrounding her throne. They haven’t seen each other for four years, but he’s still the same old devilishly handsome Taehyung, pale and dark eyed, but with one of the loudest presences she has seen among his kind. He would be a fitting lord, she had always thought, despite his sometimes reckless behavior.

 

“I’m afraid what I have come to discuss isn’t very appropriate for such a setting.” He cringes, motioning toward the lively festivities.

 

“Come to rain on my parade?” Sophia jokes, giddy to have an opportunity to leave the stiffness of her throne.

 

“Hardly” He scoffs, offering her his hand.

 

“Sophia, what on earth are you doing with that blood er?”

 

Taehyung rolls his eyes, turning to regard the person behind the voice.

 

“Lillian, I was wondering when I’d run into you. Though, I was hoping to avoid it.” He sneers.

 

“Here I am, in the flesh. Now, where are you pulling our queen off to by her lonesome?” Lillian demands, hands set firmly on her hips, eyes twinkling with thinly veiled disdain.

 

“She is not a child. She does not need an advisor breathing down her back, when you can’t make a decision for her. I’m sure your queen is completely capable of handling herself, and do you really think I would try anything in a castle full of mages? I thought you were more intelligent than that my dear Lilli-“

 

Taehyung never gets to finish his insult, because Lillian is already pushing her hands out, curling them tightly, bring him to his knees in one swift motion. An aneurysm, Sophia winces.

 

“Please control your subordinates!” He exclaims, clutching his head with shaking hands. Always one for mercy, Sophia pushes Lillian’s hands away, successfully breaking the spell before offering a dainty hand to the fallen vampire.

 

“If there is anything you have to say to the queen. You must say it here, in this very room.” Lillian commands, tone leaving no room for argument.

 

Fine” Taehyung spits hotly, cheeks dusting red from having been embarrassed by a measly witch.

 

“If you must know, I came to discuss with the queen, a treaty-“

 

“What kind of treaty?” Lillian demands.
 

“A treaty of alliance. I’m waging war on those mangy mutt, werewolves and we are in dire need of allies.-“

 

“Taehyung, your father-“ Sophia cuts in, worry creeping in the pit of her stomach, making it curl uncomfortably.

 

“Is dead. One of those wet dogs shredded him alive and staked him. My brother found him at the entrance this morning. He was trying to come home.”  

 

His voice cracks slightly at the last part and it’s nothing but a mere whisper. It breaks Sophia’s heart none the less to see the despondent, detached look on the elder’s face. Taehyung had always been rather good at hiding his feelings, storing them away for solitude, but the underlying melancholy to his tone was undeniable. His father was one of the most important people to him, besides his younger brother, and Sophia knew this.

 

The blood between the pair hadn’t always been good, but there was one thing for certain, they both despised the werewolves. Sophia was never one for hate, but there was something about the wolves that rubbed her the wrong way, that and one had attacked her when she was younger, and despite the alphas claims that the wolf was a stray, she couldn’t quite look at them the same afterward.

 

The vampires, on the other hand, weren’t exactly their ally either. In fact, her people held an underlying distrust of the other, for reasons beyond her. There was talk amongst the kingdom they were not to be trust because they were sly creatures, but Sophia didn’t quite think them so harmful. She had met Taehyung’s father once or twice and he was very peaceful, often offering kind and insightful words. Then there was Taehyung himself who, with the death of his father, was now the rightful lord. He was harsh and often had impulsive tendencies, but Sophia knew he was nothing but trustworthy, more than could be said for the savage wolves with actual beasts inside of them.

 

“Where do I sign?”

 

There’s the slight turning up of Taehyung’s lips and Sophia thinks, there’s no other ally she would rather have, because a war is coming, and she has to lead her people to victory.

 

“My lady, have you forgotten our current alliance with the wolves?” Lillian inquires because Sophia was still so new to her position and had a tendency to make rash decisions.

 

“I have not, but it is also not formal. There are no treaties, no documentation. I do not wish to side with them any longer, please inform the council. We are now in allegiance with the Kim Clan.”