Part II

All I Needed

(oops, i got the urge to world-build. hopefully it doesn't feel too disjointed from the last bit. hopefully.)

Part 2 - All I Imagined


 

Mates are a weird thing.

Or, maybe it's just the concept of mates that's weird.

.. No, having a mate is definitely still weird.

Jongin doesn't often think about having a mate, or about mating. (Obviously he's referring to the stictly pg-13 version of mating.  He gets embarrased enough even thinking about meeting a potential mate.)

That's the thing about mates.  Someone could have one mate, a person that they live with for their entire life, or they can have multiple mates that they meet over the course of a lifetime.  Mates have become a much-studied phenomenon with the constant evolution of animal-human hybrids.  Neither human nor hybrid scientists have been able to fully explain the process or physiology that's behind it.

Basically, if a hybrid meets another hybrid who has an immune system that is the opposite of theirs then they will give off a pleasant scent to the predator of the two (or three, or four, and so on.)  It's hypothesized that this is a result of the bodies involved trying to optimize survival chances for any offspring.  Hormones always have been and always will be both weird and uncontrollable.

Though, that's the catch.

Mates are, generally, a purely physical attachment, they're a pull that can be "felt" between individuals.  For that reason, many people reject potential "mates" because the emtional connection is not there, or that they don't want a mate in the first place.  Just because the option of a mate is there, doesn't mean that they have to be mated.

And so, there are many hybrids that live their entire lives unmated.  Sometimes, a purely physical bond can culminate feelings and emtional unions are formed.  Other times, a hybrid that can give birth (which are generally prey-type hybrids or those with ovaries, although there are exceptions to both) decides to have a purely physical relationship so that they can have offspring.  All different types of relationships are common, and while the listed examples of relationships (or lack thereof) do exist, they are often viewed as something not of the "norm."

Mating is heavily romanticized by the media, and as someone who is often a part of the media, Jongin doesn't want any part of it. Well, that's not completely true.. But, the whole concept of "destined lovers" that is so often accepted as commonplace is totally intimidating.  Jongin has barely had a serious relationship; he's in no way ready for a mate.

It's not like he's never dated before.  Most of his past relationships were with hybrids (male, female, and otherwise) who he had innocent relationships with before puberty had completely kicked in.  They were usually predator-types, as predator and prey-types were, and are still, often separated in all aspects of their lives. He does remember a sweet, prey-type boy that used to be his neighbor.  They were young, the same age almost, and had been friends for a few years.  It had been for the best that he didn't act on those feelings, as the boy had moved away a few days before they had started high school.  Since he's become a model he's been turned off to dating, as many of his colleagues are usually either in committed relationships or lack an interest in one completely.

So, yes.  He's definitely not ready for a mate, assuming that someone who he's compatible with even exists in the area where he lives and works.  Maybe the only people who he'd be a good mate for lived on the other side of the world; it's happened to people before.  In fact, one of his best friends and co-workers, Chanyeol, found his mate while he was on a job in London, only to find out that they both usually lived and worked from Seoul.  When Chanyeol tells the story, he speaks of how he had arrived on set early, still half-asleep and cranky (although he never admits the second part, or maybe it's Baekhyun who embellishes..)

It didn't help that there was an overly strong scent of.. apples?  He hadn't noticed when the make-up artists had come in, only that the smell had gotten stronger but, when he opened his eyes to question someone about the weird scent he noticed the most beautiful boy in front of him.

"Did you just eat breakfast or something?"

It took a moment for Chanyeol to realize the person he'd been staring at had asked me something.  "No, why? Did you?"

"You're the one who smells like pancakes.  Or, less like pancakes, more like maple syrup?"

"Yeah, well, I think you smell like apples.  .. Really smelly apples."

They share a mildly annoyed look before realization dawns on the both of them.

"Uh, my name's Park Chanyeol-- er, Chanyeol Park."  He extends a hand and the other inhales deeply as he clasps it between his own.

"Byun Baekhyun."

 

And ever since they're been referred to as the "breakfast couple."  They actually call themselves that. He wouldn't be surprised if they had come up with the idea in the first place.

 

Of course, now the two are much less awkward with each other, as that had happened about four years ago, around the time when Jongin had just begun modelling for S.M.  Nowadays the two are almost exclusively seen together-- never one without the other.  The rare times that one is spotted without his mate are the times when the other is probably working, and they are usually quick to show up for mental support (or as Taemin says, "to be nauseating.")  He remembers a time when he was still a trainee: he had come into the company after a day of classes and Chanyeol had been freaking out (more so than usual.)  It had been the first time since they had met when Baekhyun had had to stay home sick.  Chanyeol has rambled at him about how Baekhyun lived alone in an apartment and "there are so many things that could happen, I mean, he's by himself and he's sick and there's so many things that could go wrong-"

After that week he remembers Baekhyun coming in, armed with a bag full of tissues, but in one piece, and loudly proclaiming that "BAEKYEOL ARE NOW LIVING TOGETHER, ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD BE KEPT TO YOURSELVES."  It was also around that time that someone pulled some strings, he assumed, to get Baekhyun a spot as Chanyeol's personal make-up artist.  Baekhyun had been steadly building up experience so, maybe it had just happened naturally, or they had mentioned to someone in management that they were mates.

Either way, there was a lot more cringe-worthy moments created by Baekhyun and Chanyeol over the past years.

Oh, right.  He had been scouted by S.M. when he was still in high school.  It had been at a dance showcase, his first one actually, and he hadn't expected anything to come of it.  Dancing was, and still is, a hobby that he enjoys.  Though, he was intrigued that they had actually wanted to scout him as a model.  Usually people were teasing him about the black ears and tail that should be a spotted yellow.  That intrigue led to him to dropping by the company building, which led to a meeting with some higher-ups, which led to some smalls jobs after school or on the weekends, and before he'd really comprehended it, the S.M. building had become less of a maze and more of a home.

Strangers had become friends, good friends even.  It had helped initially that he was often paired, or grouped, with other feline, predator-type hybrids, so that they often had a sort of mental understanding for each other.  There's Chanyeol, who is a tiger-hybrid, Taemin the leopard-hybrid, and Sehun the snow leopard-hybrid.  After over four years of working together, and being around the same age, they had formed pretty close friendships and that showed when they worked together, only increasing the demands for both their solo and joint ventures.

Although he never personally thought about dropping out, the company as a whole requests that all of their employees, even those whose jobs didn't necessarily require them, to have at least a high school diploma, or to get an equivalent.  This is so that if their employees, such as the models and actors, spend many years in their career field before feeling as if they should have a career change, as has happened many times before, then at least they'll have something to fall back on.  And so, bigger jobs didn't start for him until after his high school graduation.  That was a little over three years ago, and during that time he's become one of the staple faces of S.M. Entertainment.

Through all of this, never once has Jongin met a potential mate.  He's never experienced anything like the story that Baekhyun and Chanyeol tell.  Sehun and Taemin have spoken to him about their meetings with potential mates that they felt they connected with, but hadn't been enough to warrant a relationship.  He's never known what they were speaking of either.

There's never been a gut feeling he felt the need to question, or a strange smell that he feels unexplicably drawn to, nothing to indicate that a potential mate exists for him.

 

 

So, imagine the confusion when the scent of vanilla seems to physically assault him and a crippling headache has Jongdae looking at him worriedly and clutching his arm to keep him upright.

"Jongin?"

"... Jongdae, I feel like I'm going to pass ou-"

 

 

"Ugh, I don't know which one it is but one of those old ladies put on too much perfume today.  Doesn't she know that hybrids have sensitive noses?"

"I don't know what you're talking about Kyungie, neither Minseokkie or I smell any flowers.  Maybe it's your super smell again."  Luhan sets down a pile of adoption forms on the table in front of him and takes the opportunity to ruffle his friend's hair.  "What exactly does it smell like?"

The shorter male groans, rubbing his forehead with a palm.  "I don't know.. like flowers.  It feels like I just walked into a flower shop and I have the worst headache now.."

Luhan pauses, turning to his companion with wide eyes and a slow-building smile.

It's at that moment that Minseok, a.k.a. Xiumin, flops down on the table in front of them, causing it to wobble and papers to fall to the floor.

"Hey!  Be careful with those, I just organized them!"

Minseok turns his head towards the two mumbling something about, "I calmly asked him to get off of the podium.  I know I look strong but, I'll admit that I'm small and why did it seem like a good idea for to him to-," he pauses.

"Did I miss something?  Luhan, why are you looking at Kyungsoo like that?"

"Tell him your symptoms, tell him your symptoms!"

The shortest of the three glares at the other two, a palm still secured against him temples.

"I told you already.  Someone is wearing this obnoxiously strong perfume, and honestly I kind of feel like I'm going to throw up- This isn't funny! Why are you laughing?"

Luhan turns to Minseok and raises his eyebrows, "Do you smell flowers?  Anything floral at all?"

"No, I don't.  Why does it matter so much-  Wait."

The older two share a look and this time Minseok's smiling just as wide.

"What's wrong with your faces?  Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You tell him-"

"No, you.  I don't want him to punch me-"

"Tell me what?"

Luhan clears his throat pointedly before facing Kyungsoo.

"It seems as if our lovely Kyungie may, or may not, possibly-"

"Really, can you just-"

"- have a potential mate!"

"What, are you messing with me-"

 

"Uh, excuse me but, this is Jongin and he's suddenly fallen ill and I saw you two with Yixing earlier so, I was hoping that you'd be able to contact him and, what?  Why are looking at us like..  Wait."

Jongdae looks between the model beside him, who can barely stand at this point, and the boy in front of him, who seems to be in silent agony.

 

 

"... I'll go find Yixing."

 

 


*sirens blaring* Yixing to the rescueeee!