Chapter Ten

Night Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Ten

        Mark and the rest of the guys left me alone after Christmas. I went over and spent the day with them, exchanging gifts and just hanging out on Christmas day, but after that I heard very little from any of them. I would get a text every now and then which would tell me to stay inside, or to just ask how I was doing, but other than that, I was left alone. I don't know if I liked it or not. It wasn't something that I had expected. I don't know if it was because they felt guilty about me getting hurt, because they were dealing with something I couldn't get involved in, or even because they figured I needed time to think all of this over. I didn't like it. Those seven vampires forced themselves into my life and I wasn't about to let them just take themselves out of it without a second thought. Besides, it wasn't just about me or them. It was about the town I grew up in. It was about the vampires who were dragged into this world without a choice. It was about the vampires who chose to be in this world. It was about the humans who lost someone they loved to this world. It was about the humans who had no knowledge of this world. There was a bigger picture, and even if what we were doing could get personal at times, it wasn't about us. Even if it wasn't about us, we were still involved. We still had a job to do so that everything would work out. That wasn't an easy job. Going into it, even if I thought I realized it, I didn't. I didn't realize the real danger that the knowledge of this world could cause. I didn't realize that the world of vampires was as complicated as it was. I didn't realize that it would take more than just talking it out with the bad guys. But I did now, and that is what would make all the difference. 

        "You what?" Junior and Jackson were both in shock when I told them my idea.

         "I want to learn how to fight. I need to defend myself somehow. Even if I'm nothing compared to a vampire. I need to know something. Anything could help." My voice stayed even. There was no way I was budging on this subject. "I also would like to know what's up with the whole, avoiding me, thing, and then showing up when school starts again."

        "JB thought it would be good if we gave you some time alone. I mean, you got bit. That's not something people can just move passed easily." Junior explained. I just sighed, 

        "That makes enough sense. But it also proves why I need to learn how to fight."

         "I don't see why not. We can easily teach you, but just so you know, we won't go easy." Jackson said smirking and throwing his arm around my shoulder. 

        "I wouldn't expect you to." I smile back. "But don't forgot how easy it would be for me to kill you." 

        "I think you're forgetting the whole speed and strength thing. You wouldn't even get close." Jackson laughed. 

        "Don't test me, Wang." He put his arms up in surrender. 

        "Let's just get to class. You two fight like kids, I swear." Junior laughed.

        "You're just jealous that you don't have a friendship like ours." Jackson said before he unexpectedly picked me up and threw me over his shoulder, causing me to let out a short scream, and for people to look at us. 

        "Now I look like an awkward third wheel." Junior coughed awkwardly as comments were made about Jackson and I being a cute couple. 

        "Hear that, Jen? They think we're a couple." Jackson teased as he walked into the class with me still over his shoulder. I just rolled my eyes. 

        Maybe I didn't miss these vampires as much as I thought I did. 
 

~O~


        "I didn't even know you guys have a basement." I said when we were back at the house that afternoon. 

        "It's soundproof." BamBam smiled largely. 

        "Is that a good thing? What do you use it for? To torture people? Jesus." 

        "Only a few times." Jackson assured me. "But we mostly use it for working out. We naturally look good, are strong, and fast, but the key issue is learning how to control those things. Like a lot of times when someone is just turned they can't open doors because they always crush the door knob, or even pull the door off of the hinges. It takes a lot of time to actually get used to the, I don't know, powers I guess." He explained. He and Bammie were the ones who were showing me what this training would be about. Junior had a date with a girl who had been willingly giving her blood to vamps around town. The rest were still asleep. The sun wouldn't be down for another half hour and even though they could roam around the house because it was pretty much sunlight-proof, they still liked their sleep. 

        "You can't start training until you have some kind of muscle mass. So you will be spending a lot of time down here as long as you stick to this. There's a shower and everything!" BamBam told me. 

        "What are you talking about? I have muscle mass!" I argued. 

        "No one in this house will even think about teaching you how to fight until you can do at least 50 sit ups in one go, and one armed push ups. We don't screw around. Besides. You asked for this." Jackson grinned at me. "Enjoy yourself. There's water in the mini fridge! We'll leave you to do your thing." I glared at them before they disappeared up the stairs. 

        Around me was a bunch of different equipment, none of which I knew how to properly use. I don't think I had actually worked out since high school weight training class, but even then I stuck mostly to the treadmill. It was one of those classes you took for an easy "A," and it definitely was pretty easy. 

        I argued with myself for a few moments before setting up the blue tooth on my phone to the music system, grabbing a water, stretching and started working out. 

        "We didn't think you'd last as long as you did." Mark greeted me when I came up the stairs after an hour and a half.

        "That's because you doubt my skills." I smirked, "Where is everyone?" 

        "They went out." He said awkwardly, causing me to give him a questioning look, "We still don't know how you'll react if you're around a bunch of us at once. We just want to make sure you're alright."

        "Do I look alright? I think I look fine. I actually know I am fine. Keeping distance from me isn't going to help any of us, and it certainly won't help the people we work to keep safe." I argued, "You guys can stop trying so hard to keep me safe by ignoring me. That won't work too well." I was getting frustrated, and I quite frankly wanted to throw the bottle of water I had in my hand at him.

        "Don't you dare." His voice interrupted my thoughts before I could even consider really doing it. 

        "That mind thing hasn't worn off yet?" I complained, tossing the bottle onto the couch instead before jumping onto it myself. 

        "It's only because we're right next to each other. Even that is fading. You're annoyed, so the thoughts are louder." I just rolled my eyes. Neither

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter