Two Lovers' Point

Ephemeral
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A thin blanket of fog covered the sleeping street. Faint rays of light colored the sky in a palette of gold and lavender and periwinkle. Morning lurked precisely underneath the horizon along with the sun. Among the lined sheen skyscrapers and brick buildings a lonely soul made her way home. It was very early and she still hadn't gotten to bed despite the fact that she had met the janitor at her workplace twice in the matter of 8 hours. To say that he received a surprise when he found her at her desk a second time would be an understatement. 

But the article had nearly been finished when the accident occurred. The aged janitor acted kindly enough to prepare a cup of coffee for her. He must have realized and understood the amount of pressure burdening her shoulders while she furiously typed on her keyboard. Sadly, her fatigue was a fact at that point. Neither her mind nor her clumsy hands were alert in order to prevent the mug from slipping out of her grip and falling onto the floor with a crash when the janitor handed her the cup. The white ceramics broke into several pieces. Thankfully no one got hurt. Nonetheless her embarrassment and guilt, as well as exhaustion, obviously proved their existence as she began to cry in front of the janitor. 

Once again the older man showed his endless kindness by ordering her to go home in order to get some sleep. When she objected, he wouldn't have any of it and even grabbed her handbag to emphasize his point. She nodded with tears running down her cheeks. Before she went, she gave him a hug as well as unintentional mucus to thank him. Except for the latter part. He simply laughed it off and shooed her home. 

Having left the building and been walking for a while, she felt a lot better. The hurried promenade was relaxing. Ironically enough she felt somewhat stressed at the same time.

Despite the tiredness that clawed and strangled her bones until she imagined that they would break, she also couldn't help but worry about the little time she would have to spend in bed. When she had taken a look at her phone, its clock clearly and boldly showed one minute to half four. It meant she could only afford two hours of sleep since she had a job to continue today as well. Miracles had been in the making when she managed to send in the final version of her article minutes before deadline. As much as her manager would scold her for such a late submission, she was proud to have achieved another feature.

Somewhat light on her feet, somewhat sluggish around her eyes, she took a look up at the heavens to see if the sun was faster than she. A few rays could be spotted but it hadn't risen yet. What did catch her attention, though, were the large clouds that heavily rolled in over the city. Their color didn't look promising and she felt a fear grow in her stomach. It better not start to… but it surely did! 

And how it came down. One minute the air had been empty and still. Now it poured down sticks of water that impacted the ground so hard that she believed tiny craters formed in the asphalt. With it came catastrophic winds that threatened to steal her handbag away. Heck, she was nearly swept off her feet! Naturally, she dashed forwards in search for nearest protection. She couldn't imagine where the sudden storm had come from. Autumn was around the corner but summer still lingered about with warm temperatures and dense humidity. Destiny definitely knew how to make a joke. 

On the other hand, luck was on her side and it only took a dozen seconds until she stood underneath the roof of a front door to an apartment complex. However, she questioned how much luck had been on her side as she observed her reflection in the port's windows. She began to comb through her wet and windswept tresses. A second later, she noticed another instance. Through the white fabric of her midi, short-sleeved bodycon, she could see her underwear. The red lace was practically shining like red traffic lights. 

Blood rushed to color her cheeks brightly pink and she quickly arranged her hair to cover her bra somewhat. Then she turned around to see if anyone was around to have seen her, only to receive a heart attack the following moment. Roughly half a meter next to her stood a tall, muscular man and fixed his own appearance. He too was wet and she saw skin through the rolled up sleeves of his white shirt which he seemingly tried to wipe dry with his bare hands. A black tie hung over one shoulder while the other carried a computer bag diagonally over his strong torso. Dark grey pants covered his long, powerful legs and black shoes warmed his somewhat big feet. 

Then he suddenly looked towards her and smiled sweetly. Her blush intensified because he had caught her staring at him, but she eventually returned the smile. The man stopped to drag his palms over his thick arms and reached forward an open right hand. She first stared at it with slightly frowning brows. A second later she realized what he meant with the gesture and quickly grabbed his lim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter