Done Deed

Diabolical

He looked at you for a moment in confusion. “But you're--”

“Hongbin why are we involved with beds?” Your voice was deadpan even to yourself, and Hongbin shifted uncomfortably.

“W-well the couch could work, but Taekwoon is in there--”

“Tell me what, exactly, this entails.”

He visibly swallowed. Where was the hard- who had sliced your arm with hardly a second thought? “I just need to hold your hand this time because I need direct contact for such a massive energy drain, bringing someone back from the dead isn't easy you know, and if you pass out I won't be able to catch you if I'm doing the spell so the bed would be--”
You held up your hand and he stopped mid-sentence, puppy dog eyes watering. You resisted letting out a sigh of relief; it had just been you thinking too much, Of course Hongbin wouldn't do that. Besides, he was a demon and you were a human; it was a bad idea to start with.

“So,” you began again, needing full clarification now that you had a hint of what would happen. “Usually there's no contact? It just happens?” Hongbin was nodding before you even finished speaking, bright disposition returning. He was obviously relieved that you no longer seemed quite as angry.

“Usually I won't need to touch you at all unless I'm doing extremely powerful magic or healing something life-threatening. Otherwise you'll just feel a bit dizzy or lightheaded for a moment, maybe a little tired, nothing serious.”

You nodded. That was more what you were expecting, none of this bedroom business. “And you promise now that she'll go back and be healed, right? Not stuck in a coma or anything like that?”

Hongbin seemed horrified at the thought. “No, of course not, she'll be perfectly healthy.”

Good, that was what you wanted to hear.

Hongbin inclined his head towards the room again, and this time you entered. You plopped onto the edge of his bed as he followed behind and closed the door quietly.

“I'll get you home safely,” Hongbin said as he turned back around.

“You better, I have another job starting at noon tomorrow.”

He smiled. “Don't worry. Now, give me your hand.”

He was waiting, hand outstretched and waiting. This was it, the last chance you had to turn around. Bet you hadn't worked in hell for nothing; nerves of steel, maybe that was it. You couldn't even force your stomach to flip in nervousness as you accepted him. The worst was over already anyway.

Hongbin didn't do anything for a moment, just watched as you got accustomed to the sensation. It felt as through invisible strings were pulling at your hand where it was touching Hongbin, and slowly it moved further and further up your arms and across your shoulders until your entire body felt the drain. Hongbin exhaled deeply from his nose, eyes fluttering closed. For the first time, he wasn't looking at you. Without opening his eyes, he began to murmur, and the feeling suddenly escalated.

You started shivering uncontrollably, every hair on your arms standing on end as the power began to rush out of you, a near cascade of energy leaving you to meet Hongbin's hands. His murmuring grew louder, actual words now, but you couldn't focus on them. No matter how hard you tried to use Hongbin's grip to ground yourself, you were shifting away quickly. The ringing in your ears lasted only a second before disappearing in a dizzy spell that had you grabbing for the blankets with your free hand in the hopes of steadying yourself.

“H-Hongbin--” you mumbled despite yourself, overwhelmed with the sensation. You didn't know what you wanted him to do. It hardly mattered; only seconds after you spoke dots began to dance in your vision, black splotches that slowly expanded until you completely fell into darkness.

 

* * *

 

When you awoke, you felt as though you were still dreaming. The clock on the wall across from your bed was ticking away as obnoxiously loud as usual, the cracked window pane to the left still had that piece of duct tape on it. The kitchen faucet on the far side of the single room dripped every once in a while.

You sat bolt upright, blankets flying as your memories came back to you in a rush. You were in your own tiny single-room apartment, hair a mess and beary-eyed.

“Good morning.”

Your head snapped to the side to find Hongbin sitting on the beaten up love-seat against the wall. He wiggled his fingers to you in a little wave.

“Hi...” you responded as you got your bearings. You flipped back the blankets all the way and stood, glancing at the clock. It was just ten; your had a few hours yet before your next work shift. Considering that you were still in your clothes from the previous day, you would need to put that time to good use.

“Coffee?” you offered to Hongbin as you wandered to the kitchen side of your room, careful to step over the one obnoxiously creaky floorboard.

“Sure, thanks.”

You got two mugs out of the cabinet, taking the cracked one for herself.

“Is she back?” You prodded as you prepped the hot drink. You felt generally okay, a bit tired and perhaps lightheaded, but coffee would be helping with that you were sure. You couldn't help but think of the little girl, though, and what would happen if she couldn't make her way out of hell.

“Yes,” Hongbin responded, and you smiled a bit in relief. “I sent her back right away. Before I brought you back, actually. Taekwoon seemed pretty lonely though.”

You smirked and poured the coffee, bringing the two hot mugs over to the couch and handing one to Hongbin.

“I'm glad, thank you.”

Hongbin smiled brilliantly at you. Like hell he was a demon, not with a face like that. You rolled your eyes.

“Okay okay, drink your coffee and go the, I have to get ready for work and I'm not changing in the bathroom.”

He sipped. “Are you on shift tonight?”

In hell? “I think so, yeah. Why?”

Hongbin paused as he raised the mug again. “I need to let you know, I think, that there have been some problems with Hades recently. Depending, I might have you stay home. Though, in the meantime, I'll make you that permanent portal I promised. Direct link between us. Don't tell Taekwoon.” He winked. “Oh, and I'll come by to you as well.”

You nodded and took a contemplative drink from your mug. The portal was good. The issues with Hades, not so much. “But you haven't paid me yet.”

Hongbin snorted into his cup, obviously not expecting such a response. “Always practical.”