Welcome to Hell

Diabolical

You made a mistake somewhere in your life. No matter how hard you thought about it, you couldn't quite figure out what it was. Maybe it was the gods that you had prayed to or something similarly outdated. Or maybe it was that that time when you were thirteen and stole food from the stall the fair, or something similarly petty. You had made many mistakes in your life, but you really didn't think any of them were significant enough to warrant your new job in hell.


It was part time of course; you were shrewd enough to get that into the deal even if you were already pardoned into the job while being alive, something that was apparently unprecedented. Week nights from 7 PM to 1 AM you were on the clock; he still hadn't figured out pay rates yet. Your demon representative insisted on Dracma, the demon currency, but you told him off. You were still waiting for your response on that one. Regardless, 7 to 1 was a busy time for them, it seemed – they needed more staff.


"E-excuse me..."


You retard from your thoughts by the quiet voice at whispered be on the edge of the counter. You worked effectively in the main entrance of hell, greeting newly departed souls and sending them to the respective places. Since you were new, they had you dealing with people who had done minor crimes that would only be here for a few years. Things like routine theft and lying were often on the lists you viewed; regardless, you heard it still wasn't a pleasant trip for those who went through.


You went up on your toes, trying to see who was speaking to you from the other side. A small girl was huddled there, maybe six or seven, looking absolutely terrified. Her blonde hair was pulled into two uneven pigtails, and in her arms she cradled a teddy bear in a death grip next to some wrinkled paperwork. One of her shoes is missing.


"Hello there," you said, smiling kindly to at her; she seemed to relax just a bit. While working in hell didn't require a bright disposition, this girl looked like she could use it. "How can I help you?"


"Th-the man at the door said to give this to you." She held up the crumpled paperwork, with one hand while pointing to the guard at the door with the one holding the teddy bear. No wonder she was terrified. The card was in full demon regalia, horns, redish skin, and swirling black tattoos, not to mention the coal-black eyes. Even you were startled by such an appearance at first. You reached over the counter and took the paperwork.


"Thank you."


You would be lying if you said you weren't curious to see what crime had landed this cute little girl in hell. You smooth down the paper and looked it over. She was indeed six, and her name was Megan. You skimmed her personal information, dreading your next question.


"How did you die, sweetheart?" You had spent most of your time in the past week dealing with rude teenagers and lecherous old men. It was routine to ask, but ask her felt like a crime.


"It was an accident… " She said, looking confused as she tried to remember. Sometimes they didn't remember at all. "We were driving home. Then the truck came really fast and… " She trailed off, holding the stuffed toy close. "When I woke up, mommy and daddy weren't there."


Which meant one of two things – either they were alive, or weren't fit for hell. You were betting the former. You looked down the paperwork more quickly, finding the important part- the list of sins.


You almost missed it, considering that it was nearly empty. Stole a piece of candy a few times, hit another child once, lied to parents about bedtime. Shocked, you looked at the little girl again from where she anxiously watched and waited. She wasn't supposed to be here. Someone made a mistake.


Taking the papers in hand you walked around the counter, going over to the little girl. "I think you're in the wrong place," you said. "You need to go somewhere much nicer. Will you come with me?" You held out a hand to her and, after a moment, she nodded and took it.


You went straight over to the guard where he stood by the entrance portal, keeping an eye on the riffraff souls that were pouring in and trying to find their places. He eyed your approach with exasperation; not all of the demons were thrilled to have a human coworker.


You stuck the paperwork in his face in annoyance; he waved it aside, and you felt a tiny hand in yours grip tighter.


"What do you want?" He asked, looking at the little girl. His voice was gruff, and his English had that unidentifiable accent that most demons spoke with.


"There was a mistake," you said getting straight to the point and speaking with the confidence needed to impress a demon. "Do you see this list of sins? She needs to go back, she isn't supposed to be here."


If he looked irritated before, he looked downright pissed now. "No mistakes happen here, if she was sent then she's supposed to be here." In response you stuck the papers in his face again, trying to show him the pathetic list. He swiped it away and turned the girl with a sharp toothed, menacing grin.


"Welcome to hell."


She squeaked and slipped behind you, hiding uselessly Your temper was rising, angry at the demon's jerk move move almost as much as you were angry the girl had been sent here in the first place. The tension wound until it snapped.


"Well then I'll go talk to Hongbin about it." You said and your heel, knowing full well that if anything was going to send him into a panic, that would. You pulled the girl with you and she kept pace quickly, wanting to be with you more than the demon.