chapter 1

Backing Up BTS

HYEMI POV

            “Hyemi! Hyemi!” I almost slammed my locker onto my fingers when I heard the high-pitched voice calling for me from down the hall. In the meantime I had managed to drop all the books I just gathered onto the floor. I started to pick them up when the owner of the small voice was right beside me.

            “Oops, I’m sorry. Did I make you do that?”  Yumi, the 11-year-old girl belonging to the voice, asked me as she bent down to help me pick them off the ground. We both attended the Seoul Academy for Elite Students, a private school only accepting Korea's brightest students. With the curriculum being so challenging on the students, life at this school was not easy. Therefore the board thought it would be best to have older students mentor the younger students. I was assigned to be Yumi's mentor six years ago since we're both dancers. Since I’m a senior, it’ll be our last year together so she’s been practically connected to my hip ever since school started a month ago.  I don't mind though, Yumi's like a little sister to me.

            “I guess technically yes, but no, I’m just a big clutz is all.” She handed me all the books that she had picked up for me. “Thank you.” I said as I messed with her hair to which she smiled. She always loved it when I played with her hair. “What did you want anyways? You seemed pretty excited.” We started to walk down the hallway towards the exit off the building as the day had just ended.

            “Oh, it’s nothing really. I just wanted to know what you were doing for the talent show on Friday.”

            “Well, I was thinking about dancing.” I said sarcasm dripping in my voice.

            She responded with more sarcasm, “Oh my gosh, I had no idea. Wow that really came out of the left field. No really!” she said punching me softly on the arm. “What are you dancing to?”

            “Well honestly I wanted to dance with you, but the board was against it. They said it was the high school talent show, so younger students aren’t allowed to perform.” She didn’t look sad, like I thought she would, but more honored that I even went through all that trouble to try to be able to dance with her. ”So after that fell through I decided I would do the dance to Catch Me If You Can by Girl’s Generation with Aesook and Eunji."

            “I love that song! The dance is super cool too; I bet you look good doing that. Can I watch your rehearsals?”

            “Yeah! That sounds like fun. I was already planning staying after school tomorrow to rehearse it, so do you just want to tag along for that?”

            “Yeah, that sounds fun!”

            “Okay perfect.” Suddenly I remembered the last time we decided to get together to dance after school. It ended with me getting yelled at by her dad because she never asked for permission to stay after school and he had been waiting in the parking lot for an hour before he stormed into the school. “but don’t you dare forget to ask your parents if you can stay after school!” I said sternly pointing my finger at her.

            “I won’t, I won’t.” She said as we walked out the doors. She then spotted the black van that her dad owned and her face lit up. “See? I’ll go ask him right now.”

            “Uh huh,” I responded sounding unconvinced, “I’ll come with you just to make sure.”

JIMIN POV

            Our manager always had to pick up his daughter from school. So if we were ever driving somewhere around 3 o’ clock we would have to wait for his daughter in the school parking lot. Which is always scary considering the amount of teenage girls that come flowing out of that place.

            After what seemed like forever I finally saw Yumi come out of those doors which meant we could get out of this death trap. She was talking with someone much older than her. Whoever she was with was hot. She had her caramel brown her tucked into this neat messy bun, but she totally fit the look. Her navy blue uniform made her big brown eyes pop even from here. Yumi darted for the van and the girl followed her until they were standing beside the driver’s window. Our manager rolled down the window and Taehyung, who had been sleeping this whole time, was the only one who was visible from that window. Luckily a blanket covered his face.

            “Appa!” Yumi said excitedly.

            “Hi sweety, how was your day?”

            “It was boring, but that’s school.”

             “and hello there Hyemi, how are you?”

            “I’m good, Yumi and I came to ask you a question, didn’t we?” she said nudging Yumi.

            “Oh! Yeah!” Hyemi rolled her eyes at Yumi forgetting what she was supposed to do. “Can I stay after school tomorrow to watch Unni rehearse?”

            “I can drive her home if that’s an issue.” Hyemi interjected before ahjusshi could answer.

            “Well then, yes, I don’t see what the problem would be. But you will have to drive her home.”

            “That’s perfectly fine. Well, I just wanted to make sure she actually asked you this time. My work here is done. Bye Mr. Park.” She waved goodbye and pat Yumi on the head before walking towards her car. Yumi then made her way around the van until she was sitting in the passenger’s seat.

            “Yumi” I called from the back of the car to which she turned around.

            “Hm?”

             “Who was that? She was pretty hot.” I said smirking knowing that whoever that was, she was important to Yumi. Commenting on her appearance alone would annoy the hell out of her. The rest of BTS, who weren’t dozing off, nodded their heads in agreement because that girl actually was really pretty. She had these big brown eyes, and I swear she’s never had a blemish on her skin, it was flawless.

            “THAT IS HYEMI! Don’t just call her demeaning terms!” Yumi scoffed,  “She’s always in the top 5 of her class for her grades, plus she’s the most amazing dancer. She’s been my mentor since kindergarten. She’s a senior now, which means she’ll be leaving me next year, which is just rude, but that just means I have to make the most out of this year.” She said before turning back around. “Oh my gosh!” Yumi exclaimed whipping back around. “You guys are looking for a female dancer, right?!” she asked me.

            “uhh, yeah?”

            “appa! appa! appa!” she pulled on his sleeve, rocking him back and forth a little. “You should use Hyemi! She’s an amazing dancer, and obviously super pretty. Plus we know her, so we know how she’ll act around the boys. She’s perfect! This way I’ll spend more time with you at work too! It’s a win, win, win, win situation!”

            “And why is it a four win situation?” our manager, her dad asked.

            “ugh,” she said obviously annoyed that her dad didn’t already understand. “A win for you because you get to see me more. A win for me because I get to hang out with Hyemi more. A win for Hyemi because it would be her first dancing job. Finally, it would be a win for all of BTS because they would get to work with such an amazing person and dancer everyday because she’s not JUST pretty, guys.” Those of us who were awake, which was Jungkook, Jin, and I, chuckled a little at the last “win”. “Seriously guys!” Yumi said to us, “You don’t know what you’re missing out on yet.”

            “Ahhh I see.” Our manager responded.

            “Seriously though dad, I’m not kidding. Have you seen her dance recently? She’s amazing.”

            “Honestly, its not a bad idea. We would have to get the casting people to see her dance before we hire her though.”

            “Can they come to the talent show on Friday? She’s doing the dance to Catch Me If You Can by Girl’s Generation. That should be a good enough audition, right?”

            “I don’t know Yumi, it’s Wednesday, and they’re busy people, but I’ll ask. Now boys,” Our manager rose a finger at us. Oh no, that meant we were about to get lectured. “Hyemi is a very pretty girl. If she does end up being your backup dancer, you cannot get involved with her. Actually whoever ends up being your backup dancer you can’t get involved with. It’s too hard to keep relationships secret, and it’s too early in your career to be having scandals like this. Do you all understand me? This is important.” A chorus of ne’s was what he got in response.

HYEMI POV

            tap, tap, tap. My pencil’s eraser continued to tick rhythmically against the school-owned desk, spraying a bit of eraser dust each time. It was the end of math class, my last class of the day, and I was beyond bored. Besides it being a particularly grueling class, after class we were supposed to have our last rehearsal for the senior talent show. I just wanted to get to the theatre and start working.

            RRRRRRING. Finally! The last bell made itself known! I quickly and messily gathered all of my things so I could get out of that horrid place as soon as possible. Somewhere along the way, Yumi had found me and had followed me all the way to the theatre where we met up with my friends, the other two girls in the dance.

            “Hyemi! How ya doin?” Aesook asked before her eyes wandered behind me and lit up at the sight of Yumi, “Hi Yumi! I haven’t seen you in forever!” She said as she took Yumi into a big embrace.

            “love this wonderful bonding moment,” Eunji stated blankly as she pried Eunji off of Yumi, “But we have work to do, and we get kicked out of this theatre in an hour.” Eunji has always been the hardcore, mysterious one of the group. She really is loving once you get to know her though

            “She’s right,” Aesook said brightly before turning around and hopping towards the stage.

            Rehearsal was pretty unchaotic. We worked together really well and just needed to make sure we had all the staging down. After an hour we bid our goodbyes and Yumi hopped into the passenger seat of my car.

            “It looks really good.” Yumi stated a little under her breath and to her phone. She was texting.

            “Thank you?”

            “Oh, I said that out loud?”

            I laughed at her obliviousness, “Yes, you said that out loud. Now who were you texting that to.”

            “Uhhh these really annoying kids I know.” She sounded unsure.

            “If they’re annoying then why are you texting them, and do they go to our school?”

            “Ummm, no they don’t go to our school, they’re uhhh family friends, yes that, but that’s beside the point. I have a question to ask you.” She’s never this timid with her words when talking to me.

            “Ooookay, Yumi you’re being weird, but go ahead and ask.”

            “How do you feel about BTS?”

            “The rookie boy group?” she nodded her head in affirmation. That came out of nowhere. “Well, I like their music, it’s different from a lot of other idol groups. They’re dope dancers, but other than that I don’t know much about them, why do you ask?”

            “oh nothing.” She said a little too quickly and dropping eye contact with me.

            “What do you mean nothing?” I asked playfully, “Oh wait, I know. Someone has a bias in that group doesn’t she?”

            “Yes, yes, yes, that’s it. That’s why I’m asking you about them.”

            “Well then, who is it?”

            “umm it’s uhhhh…” There she goes again being timid with her word choices. It’s her bias, right? How would she not just know? “Jimin.”

            “Jimin?” I replied. She’s definitely not telling me something, but I won’t press today.

            “Yeah, I just feel like we would get along in real life. or something like that.”

            “Okay, if you say so.” The rest of the car ride Yumi didn’t say much. There was definitely something that she wanted to tell me, but wasn’t. Eventually I pulled up in front of her house. “Alright Yumi we’re here.” She gathered her backpack and started to get out of the car. “You know Yumi, you can tell me anything.”

            “Yeah I know, and I will tomorrow.” She said putting on that bright smile she usually wears. “If I don’t see you before the talent show, good luck!” That seemed more like the Yumi I know.

            “Alright, bye Yumi!”

            “Bye Hye! Thanks for driving me home!”

 

 

author's note - alright so here's the first chapter. I don't really have much to add about this chpapter. It's really just laying out necessary background information. The upcoming chapters will be a lot more exciting. I hope you like it so far. please tell me what you think.