final

you're so dark

Minhyuk regrets this horribly, he wishes he could take back the past few hours. He longs for his home, his bed, his netflix and safety. He decides that if he survives tonight, he will never trust Kyung or Jaehyo ever again. In fact, he swears to himself, he will end his friendship with the two and never speak to them.

When Minhyuk had asked what his two friends were doing that night he hadn't expected anything more than a friendly game of scrabble. After all, he was the quiet type, preferring his books and tv shows to running around outside in the sweltering summer heat. But Kyung and Jaehyo had insisted that he should come along, because he was their friend and he ought to have some fun before he graduated high school. Minhyuk horribly regrets it all, he hates danger, he hates heights, he hates breaking the rules but he would hate to have missed out on participating in one of the all night adventures his friends always talked about. So he lets the fact that he was about to be a senior in high school guilt trip him into going along with his friends.

"Live a little." They had said, their smiles and nods reassuring. I shouldn't have believed them, I could be playing Apples to Apples with Jihoon, Taeil, Hanhae and Jaewon, Minhyuk thinks. Or have gone shopping with Jiho and Yukwon, anything but this, Minhyuk had lamented, but it was already too late, he had agreed to spend the night with Jaehyo and Kyung, and he couldn't go back on his word.

His ideas of a fun, safe night shatter around him when Jaehyo and Kyung decided to walk into a liquor store. "Are you ing kidding me? We're not even of age to buy alcohol!" Minhyuk had protested, staring at Kyung and Jaehyo as they stood next to the whiskey.

"Buy? Why would you buy when you can take it for free?" Kyung scoffed as they walked past an aisle of vodka. He grabbed a questionably small bottle, shoving it down into his backpack. Jaehyo did the same, except putting his tiny bottle of vodka in his shirt, where due to the bagginess of the fabric it was unnoticeable, though Minhyuk wondered how it stayed there.

Minhyuk's questions about the two's dubious notions of "a good time" continue as the two then proceeded to walk out of the store, raising the bottles of alcohol above the towers so they cannot beep. The clerk, asleep at her desk, saw exactly zero percent of it, and the near empty liquor store and the half-busy streets seemed to care just as less.

After exiting the liquor store, Kyung and Jaehyo decided dragging Minhyuk on top of a roof would be the best thing to do next. Minhyuk had decided he was past the point of protesting as they sat on top of the roof, bottles of stolen alcohol in hand, and eyes on the city below.

"It's kinda poetic if you think about it," Jaehyo only pauses to take a swig from his vodka bottle. "here we are, on top of Seoul, looking down on the city as if the people were ants when we are the ones that are insignificant."

Kyung snorted. "Save your philosophical bull for your lyrics. We're trying to have a nice night, not talk about how we're all made of space stuff." He then turned his attention towards Minhyuk. "You should see him when he's high. He gets worse than this."

"Uh no thanks. I'm not the drugs and alcohol type." Minhyuk replied, watching as Jaehyo tried to down a quarter of his small bottle. As Jaehyo got progressively drunker and drunker, Minhyuk realized that he was more of a mess than Kyung when under the influence.

Jaehyo had gotten spectacularly drunk, laughing down the streets as they neared his family's apartment. He asked Kyung where they were going, only to be told "your house, since you're too drunk to do much else.". If Jaehyo wasn't amazingly inebriated then he would have protested the idea, but the alcohol and night's darkness were enough to render him complacent.

They climbed to Jaehyo's apartment's rooftop after dumping the drunk on the couch haphazardly. When Minhyuk asked him if this meant that they were going to go home, Kyung nearly fell off the building laughing.

"The night is young, mon amour. Don't be a killjoy. Don't you want to have fun before you're old and boring?" Kyung had said, perched on a ledge of the roof. A smaller apartment building stood a leg's length away, an easy jump for anyone willing to roof-hop.

Minhyuk narrowed his eyes at the word boring. He hated that word, despising the idea that he could be considered that. While he knew that he preferred the quiet life, Minhyuk hated being thought of as boring, and that impulse had lead him to make some rather dumb decisions.

"I'm not boring at all. Never will be either. My other friends are boring, but me? I'm never a killjoy."

Kyung scoffed. "You're not a killjoy? Prove it, you've never done a dangerous thing in your life."

Minhyuk took a deep breath, mind racing. The one sip of vodka he drank still stung on his breath, the night's winds ruffling his hair. He needed something, anything to prove he wasn't boring. His mind was cluttered, no ideas surfacing until a quick glance back at the smaller apartment building. He turned 180 degrees, his back facing Kyung and hid head looking down on the shorter building. Minhyuk took another deep breath, banishing his fear before he leapt. He flew downwards, wind whipping through his hair and lapping at his skin.

His landing on the other apartment building was far from graceful, but luck was on his side, as he received no injuries aside from the smallest scrape on his knee. He watching as Kyung leapt above him, landing on the same building like a cat, seemingly unscathed. The shorter of the two nodded in approval, happy with Minhyuk's sudden change of heart.

"So roof-hopping it is." Kyung grinned devilishly at Minhyuk. The elder boy gulped, the idea of hopping from roof to roof was vertigo-inducing. He shook his head, banishing any fearful thoughts. Minhyuk was stubborn, and when he needed to prove a point, he would go ridiculous lengths to do so. And as much as he wanted to deny it, this was the factor Jaehyo, Kyung and him all had in common, all unwilling to back down from their word, no matter how stupid it'd be.

However, his stubbornness didn't keep him from cursing to himself about how he shouldn't have done this. With each jump to the next roof he can feel his body crunch together on the impact, only to stretch out as he leapt forward again. He knew he'll be sore in the morning, and he wondered how Kyung deals with it, his younger friend having downed some vodka, and tired from yesterday's soccer match. However, his friend's confidence is unrivaled, and if he feels pain or worry, it doesn't show, only an easy smile and a glimmer of mischief in his eyes.

Eventually they hit a point in their roof-hopping where everything changed from stressful danger to effortless movement. Maybe it's the adrenaline, or maybe it's the fact that it was well past midnight and he was leaping from yet another apartment, but Minhyuk felt like an acrobat with the world as his stage. If he were more poetic, perhaps he'd describe himself as a gazelle, but he was with Kyung, and the only poetry the other boy enjoyed was that of stringing together a well-crafted insult. But perhaps Minhyuk was a romantic, or so he thought to himself, and his poetry was that not of words but silent action, running and jumping through the night.

Either way, Minhyuk, no matter how much he'd deny it (especially to Jiho, the ), actually was enjoying his time with Kyung. Their run through the city had dropped them off in a park, one that was amazingly deserted, lit by seemingly old street lamps emitting a golden yellow light (Kyung, in a rare moment of nerdiness, claimed they were craftsman style). Minhyuk thought the fact that the looked almost turn-of-the-century was fitting, and it almost made the little pocket of nature seem to be the whole world, the city's lights low and dim in the distance.

They wander around the park a bit, trading idle words and glances, looking for something to entertain themselves. Kyung usually kept a frisbee in his backpack, but had left it at Jaehyo's as he tried to dump the drunk mess into his bed. As their conversation reached a lull, their attention panned to a kite stuck in a particularly large tree.

Minhyuk wasn't sure how old or big the tree was, but it seemed ancient and immense, mushrooming out, its wide trunk pointing skywards. He watched as Kyung began to scale it, the sheer vastness of its webs of branches dwarfing the high-schooler. Watching his friend climb the tree suddenly seems captivating, the shadows of the tree darkening Kyung as he clambered up the side of the trunk, the moonlight only illuminating the tips of his hair and fingers. Looking back at himself, Minhyuk realized he was bathed in the same moonlight, the shadows of the enormous tree not reaching him.

Twenty minutes later finds Minhyuk perched in the same tree as Kyung, his younger friend accusing him of being "a sissy baby" before Minhyuk scaled the tree at a terrifyingly fast pace, hands gripping into gnarled bark in the mid-august inescapable heat. Equipped with nothing but determination, Minhyuk managed to claw his way to where Kyung was in the upper branches of the tree in record time. Once he found a comfortable spot in the ancient tree, Minhyuk realized he had a great view of the sky, complete with Kyung attempting to fly the kite in the wavering august breeze without moving.

"This is really pretty and all, but we could see way more stars if the city's lights were off." Minhyuk said, eyes focusing on the Big Dipper. Kyung nodded as well, his attention on his kite that he had found in the tree more than Minhyuk's words.

"Well too ba--" Kyung's quip was cut short as the lights of the city flickered off. He stared blankly, letting go of the kite. "You're a ing magician."

Minhyuk chortled in amusement, the stars seeming more bright in the sky without the blanketing light of the city to cover them. "You bet your I am. How else would I look this great?"

"You're hanging around us too much, man." Kyung responded, the playful light in his eyes betraying the sternness of his words. "Sounds like something Jae or I would say. Maybe you're turning into us."

"If I ever get as ugly as one of you I wouldn't show my face to the world." Minhyuk snorted.

"Well personally I think I'm beautiful." Kyung retorted, arms crossed but a smirk on his face.

"I'm sure Jiho thinks the same. You know how he feels about you."

Kyung rolled his eyes, leaning against Minhyuk. "I think I care a little more about how my boyfriend feels than how Jiho feels about me."

Minhyuk chuckled, wrapping his arm around the younger teenager. "He might hate you but you know he's head over heels for you." His words decided an inquisitive look from the brunette. "But I'd rather you stay with me." Minhyuk quickly added.

"Man, why are all your friends gay? My only gay friend is Jaehyo." Kyung complained, shifting around in the tree branches as he tried to make himself comfortable, but to no avail. Frustrated, he began to climb down, motioning for Minhyuk to do the same.

"You know, maybe all of your friends are straight because you're in the closet about the whole 'being bi' thing. I'd love for you to join me in the world outside of the closet, where we can hold hands and go on dates that aren't in the pitch black." Minhyuk said, sliding his feet against the rough bark as he climbed down the tree. Kyung was by far the least conventional of his boyfriends, refusing to do anything couple esque during daylight hours or outside of Minhyuk's house. Minhyuk himself wasn't sure why he stayed with the troublemaking brunette, or what really attracted him to someone so opposite of his personality.

"I can make gay friends. You're my gay friend." Kyung pointed out, sitting in the grass.

"I'm your gay boyfriend. There's a difference. And your friend Minsik, there's no way he's straight. Sorry, kid." Minhyuk said, dropping down into the tall grass next to Kyung. His legs felt like lead and his head like it was full of air, and he was horribly tired.

Moments like this, sitting exhausted in the tall grass with all of his adrenaline gone, were the ones where Minhyuk wished he had a normal boyfriend, one who would go to restaurants and watch netflix with him. But when he looked up to the full moon and the sky, now freckled with stars due to the power outage, he was happy with who he was dating, and he wouldn't have changed it for the world. But all moments came to an end, and after what seemed like an eternity of stargazing, Minhyuk realized that they were going to have to get home.

The trek back into the city was far longer than the walk out, and as they exited the park, a loud crack of thunder surprised the two. While they weren't looking, storm clouds had snuck in, heavy with rain. The air felt heavy and humid, warmed by the august heat. Before the rain, everything sluggish and hazy, the laziness seemingly growing in their limbs as the thunder's claps became louder and more frequent. And with one particularly loud bang, the clouds gave out and the rain poured down. Like a switch had been hit, the two began to dash down an alleyway, half looking for Minhyuk's place and half looking just for a place to stay dry. Unfortunately for the two, they found neither.

After running for what seemed like hours, the power outage and dark clouds making every street block look the same, a soaked Kyung and Minhyuk decided to take refuge in a small covered area on a rooftop garden they had spotted from afar. It took a lot of clambering over rain-slick fire escapes and a little wall climbing, but they made it to the place they had seen. Said small building and actually been an unused greenhouse, no longer humid inside due to the long shadows of taller high-rises, their roofs reaching skywards.

Exhausted and soaked through, the two decided they'd sleep in the darkened greenhouse, occasional bits of night sky visible from the looming clouds. The sound of pattering rain and his own breathing lulled Minhyuk to sleep.

----
A/N

This fic basically wrote itself, and I liked how Minhyuk's character turned out, he's a little more brave then how I usually characterize the other guys haha. Still not good with the romance writing. I also need to work on my other stories instead of fabricating new ones. This isn't edited for that very reason haha. But what did you think of this?? I really want y'all's feedback.