Ch 1: Alone

Love is a Rose

"Will it be nothing for you if we don't see each other again starting tomorrow? Only the word goodbye sounds easy." -Lovelyz


Today marks the 1,095th day since I last saw him. Exactly three years. It’s been so long that I thought I would've lost count, but here I am counting the days away. Like a complete fool. People around me would be counting the days they've been with their significant other, but here I am counting the days he and I separated.

- - -

I laid on my bed staring at the ceilingarrow-10x10.png, hoping that I would drift away into a deep sleep, but that was a rare likelihood in my case. The memories always came rushing back when I was alone. I clenched my hands into a fist and placed it above the left regionarrow-10x10.png of my chest. My heartarrow-10x10.png ached. The silence in the housearrow-10x10.png made it even worse - not a sound was to be heard except for the occasional sighs I let out. This was a routine I hadn't gotten used to, the emptiness that hit me from time to time. No one around me really understood what I was going through - not even myself. It was all because of him. I kept blaming him for these insomniac nights but I knew it was me who couldn't let go of the sad memories. After what seemed like hours, I slowly dozed off, away from the sadness I felt.

 - - -

As time ticked by, it soonarrow-10x10.png became morning. I felt the lightarrow-10x10.png that shone through the blindsarrow-10x10.png hit my eyes that were still closed. Although I knew it was time to get up as soonarrow-10x10.png as my alarm rang, I hit the snooze button, not wanting to get out of bed. A few minutes passed by later when I heard impatient knocks on my door.

"Don't you have class today?" My mom questioned gently yet loudly, unsure if she was interrupting my slumber.

"Yyeah," I mumbled in reply, somewhat annoyed by her constant knocks on the doorarrow-10x10.png.

I opened my eyes and rolled myself to the other side of the bed with my back faced to the blindingarrow-10x10.png lightarrow-10x10.png that was coming from the windowarrow-10x10.png.  I kicked off the covers and slowly pulled myself up.

It's time to get up, Hayoung.

- - -

As I drove myself to schoolarrow-10x10.png, I the radioarrow-10x10.png to distract myself from any thoughts. Just as I changed the station channel, as if it was just my luck - as if life wanted to ruin the the start of my day, the song I least wanted to hear came on. It was the song that he asked me to slowarrow-10x10.png dance with him to when we first started dating.

Where ever you are hiding, I can find you. If there were no you, then my heartarrow-10x10.png would stop.

I began to get emotional by listening toarrow-10x10.png the lyrics but at the same time I wanted to laugh at how silly I was being over something that no longer meant anything. Every little darn thing kept reminding me of him. What was I supposed to do when I shared so many memories with someone I thought was my everything and have every little detail in my daily life remind me of him? Laugh it off and pretendarrow-10x10.png like it never happened or cry over how it didn’t work? Although it wasn't worth getting worked up over, the memories that lingers just hurts so much.

- - -

As I finally found parking in the overcrowded lot at schoolarrow-10x10.png, I dragged myself out of the cararrow-10x10.png and walked to my only class of the day. As I walked to the buildingarrow-10x10.png and up the stairs, many people stood outside the class and I could assume that the professor hadn't even arrived yet. As I walked to the empty corner where no one stood, I looked around to see everyone chit chatting happily amongst their peers. I pulled out my phonearrow-10x10.png and pretended to busy myself. I skimmed through my text messages to see a message from my best friendarrow-10x10.png, Yerin, which read:

[Guesssss whuttt! I'm coming down next week!]

Yerin who was close friend of mine since forever, lived quite a distance from where I did because she attends schoolarrow-10x10.png in a different city and it's been months since we've seen each other so this was worth getting excited over.

With my mood slightly lifted, I brought my fingers to respond but then suddenly I heard a textbook slam to the ground beside me. A guy who was much taller than me (which was surprising because I was pretty tall for a girl), lazily bended down to grab his book.

As he stood back up, he turned in my direction and let out a chuckle and said, "It's just one of those days you know?"

I smiled, nodding as if I understood, and turned back to my phonearrow-10x10.png.

Minutes passed by and the professor was still not here. 

"How long have you been at this schoolarrow-10x10.png?" I heard a voicearrow-10x10.png say.

I looked up to see the guy who was still standing beside me look straight at me. 

Caught off guard and embarrassed not knowing he was speaking to me, I stuttered, "I-it's my first year here."

"Oh that's cool. I just transferred to this class, but I've been here for almost three years." He ran his fingers through his hair as he turned his eyes to a group of loud students laughing over what seemed to be very amusing.

Not really knowing how to continuearrow-10x10.png the conversation, I followed my eyes in the direction of the group of students where he was looking at.

After a moment of what seemed like hesitation, he reached out his hands and said, "I'm Dongwoon."

"I'm Hayoung." I grabbed his hands and shook it slightly.

"It's nice to meet you."