1/12

Terror at Jurassic World

IMPORTANT NOTE: I ADDED EXTRA TO THIS CHAPTER AND WILL BE POSTING A NEW ONE SOON!


 

Baekhyun frowned as he switched his gaze from his window to his suitcase, scratching his head and wondering if his situation could be anymore ridicules. Overflowing out of his suitcase were tank tops, shorts and the occasional pair of jeans and raincoat. And outside… well, it was the middle of January, so naturally snow turned Seoul in a vast white wasteland. Sighing, he threw himself onto the suitcase, quickly zipping it under his weight. Kyungsoo, who sat next to it on his bed, looked up from the Viewmaster he was clicking away at and rolled his eyes. His much lighter duffle bag sat in the hall next to the door.

 

“What?” asked Baekhyun, huffing, but Kyungsoo chose not to answer, going back to the Viewmaster that Baekhyun had dug out from his childhood instead. Opening his mouth to get the other’s attention again, Baekhyun was cut off by a knock on the door. Sending one last glare to his childhood friend, Baekhyun raced to the front door of their shared apartment and greeted his older brother, Baekbeom, covered head to toe to protect him from the falling snow outside. “You ready?” asked Baekbeom, giving him the Byun brother’s signature eye-smile and rubbing his hands together. 

 

“If you can drag Kyungsoo away from his dinosaur stuff, sure,” sighed Baekhyun, rolling his eyes and swiping the packet Kyungsoo had prepared with a clear label on the front: “Jurassic World.”

 

Baekhyun had heard the horror story spread by Ian Malcolm and Alan Grant years ago, and never had he imagined that Jurassic World would ever open its gates. But, lo’ and behold, twenty two years later, the gates had finally opened, and had been opened for almost a year now. Kyungsoo had been talking nonstop about it for awhile now, stuck between the incidents of the once wild habitats of the dinosaurs left on the two islands and the now tamed theme park that had risen after years of struggles and recreations.

 

It explained why Huang Zitao, Baekhyun’s brother-in-law, control freak extrodinare, worked for the place. The two tickets Baekhyun held in his hands were originally meant for Baekbeom and his wife, Mei. However, both had been promoted in the Byun family business, leaving them no time to visit the island. Instead, Mei had informed Tao, her little brother, that Baekhyun and childhood friend Kyungsoo would be taking their tickets, and that she expected him to be as nice to them as he was to her (which led Baekhyun to believe that he would be ignored throughout most of the trip). The college senior, however, was more than excited to spend two weeks at the resort, and Kyungsoo nearly wet himself in his excitement to see dinosaurs.

 

“Kyungsoo, let’s go! We’ll miss our flight,” yelled Baekhyun, and an annoyed Kyunsoo could soon be seen shuffling down the hall, his duffle bag and backpack slung over his shoulder. 

 

“The airport is thirty-eight minutes away. Sixty with traffic. We’re fine,” he said, rolling his eyes. “Hello hyung.”

 

“Hey Kyunggie-ah. Ready to go?” greeted Baekbeom with a grin, and Kyungsoo nodded, pulling on his coat. After double-checking the locks and that everything in the apartment was turned off, the two boys followed Baekbeom down to his car, loading it and setting off to the airport.

 

It took forty-two minutes to get to the airport, which Kyungsoo was more than smug about. Baekbeom stayed with them until they reached the security point before saying his good byes.

 

“Watch out for each other, alright. Kyungsoo, keep an eye on Baekhyun,” said the older boy, teasingly pinching Baekhyun’s cheek with a flail and yelp, “oh my god hyung we’re twenty-two stahp!”

 

“We’ll be fine,” grumbled Baekhyun, giving the man a short hug and goodbye before hurrying to the security point. Kyungsoo bowed politely in thanks and followed, grinning excitedly.

 

 

♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦

 

 

Almost eighteen hours later, the plane landed in Costa Rica. Customs was a breeze in their excitement to get to the shuttle that would take them to their ferry for Isla Nublar. The sleek ferry sped across the pacific waves for the island. In the distance, the island seemed to rise out of the sea. Mountains that looked as though they had once been volcanoes peeked through clouds that were easily captured by the peaks. The entirety was great, covered in dense vegetation.

 

But it was so much more than a jungle-infested island. It was home to the number one tourist destination in the world, where visitors could experience the thrill of creatures once extinct. Living and breathing dinosaurs! Genetic studies had taken a great leap over the last few decades, and new technologies and discoveries were being developed constantly. 

When the ferry reached the island, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo made their way off the boat with the crowd of tourists, people from everywhere across the globe making their way across the dock. Baekhyun scanned the landing, looking for his brother in law.

 

He didn’t see him.

 

Instead, a young man a bit older then them stood, black hair shining and a single dimple gracing his cheek as he smiled at the guests around him, holding a tablet that read “Byun Baekhyun and Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“Guess Tao couldn’t make it,” said Baekhyun, pulling Kyungsoo and his bag with him. They made their way towards the man, who introduced himself as Yixing, a friend of Tao’s. He led them through the crowd and onto the monorail. Kyungsoo made his way down the aisle, squeezing gently between passengers to reach the front. Above and in front of him was glass, giving hi the perfect view of what he knew was to come. He had heard that the park had managed to salvage a good amount of ‘relics’ from the original park, and he wanted to see it right away. Children stood in front of him at the glass, pressing their small faces against it and cooing in excitement. The monorail swooshed along on its elected rails, passing through the think jungle foliage on either side.

 

Then he saw it.

 

A huge gate with burning torches loomed in front of them, styled to look prehistoric with its stone face, reading “Jurassic World” on the top of the gate. The monorail passed through eh open gate, and Kyungsoo had to hold himself back from hopping in excitement. They were officially inside the park.

 

The monorail took them right to the hotel, and Kyungsoo had to be held back by Baekhyun, who refused to be left behind with his luggage.

 

“Why on Earth did you pack so much?” griped Kyungsoo, walking at a much more sedated pace. Yixing chuckled at the two bickering boys, glancing down at his cell phone. He supposed Tao should be wrapping up his meeting soon. Clearing his throat, he grinned at the boys and said, “Tao should be done soon, and said that he would meet us in the lobby at one o’clock.”

 

“Cool, haven’t seen the kid since Baekbeom's wedding,” said Baekhyun, finally getting a hold of his suitcase and speeding up. “I heard he’s got rid of the blonde hair.”

 

They entered the air-conditioned lobby and checked in quickly before making their way up the escalator. Baekhyun supposed they really went all-out with the dinosaur theme; “bones” lined the sand-colored walls that surrounded the escalator, and even the elevator looked like a miner’s shaft box.

 

Twelve floors later, the three arrived at their hotel room, one of the grand suites. Kyungsoo immediately approached the balcony doors and flung them open, shouting in awe at the view. “Wow~” breathed Baekhyun, joining him on the balcony. They could see the entire park from here, and Baekhyun spied a pool area he couldn’t wait to relax near. The visitor’s center shined like a giant glass beacon under the blazing Costa Rican sun, and the lagoon sparkled invitingly. Main Street was already full for the lunch crowd even at ten in the morning.

 

“Baek— thank you so much for this,” murmured Kyungsoo, sagging against the railing and smiling up at his best friend. Baekhyun grinned back and swung an arm around the boy, boy of them taking in the view before deciding to unpack and get settled in. They still had a few hours before Tao would finish finagling with business partners and what he hoped was a mountain of paperwork. Baekhyun had never quite forgiven his sassy brother-in-law for breaking one of his favorite eyeliners. It was limited edition! Baekhyun had bawled at Tao, who looked at though he was trapped between scoffing at Baekhyun’s tantrum and apologizing to get him to stop poking him with the broken pencil.

 

At least Mei was an angel.

 

Baekhyun quickly put away the clothes he had packed for the week and rejoined Kyungsoo and Yixing, who were pouring over a map of the park. Kyungsoo hung onto every word Yixing said, explaining the best places to go in the park. Kyungsoo took notes on his brochure, and Baekhyun was sure that the next week would be planned hour by hour soon enough. “Can we go get lunch while waiting for Tao? I’m starved,” suggested Baekhyun, finally standing and stretching. His stomach had been complaining at him, and he was ready to listen.

 

“There’s a good cafe down on Main Street we can go to,” said Yixing, standing. Kyungsoo followed and stretched. They grabbed their bags and followed the Chinese man out. They had a couple hours to kill, why not enjoy free food?

 


 

A/N: I looked over this, and thought "wow, that was short"... and added half of what was going to be the next chapter. Because I'm a goober like that. I'll have the next chapter up sometime soon though, promise!