Prologue.

The Fallen Hours (AC)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Okay, before reading it. This is more like a introduction for some of the characters, I'm sorry if I made one of them too AU. 

 

 

PROLOGUE 

May, 2011.

 

He touched with his hand the empty side of the bed, tracing a path of soft pats to the nightstand which was at the left side of his bed; stretching his arm to reach the cell phone which had been ringing since thirty minutes ago. 

 

“Hi?” He asked hoarsely and without opening his eyes, somehow he had managed to answer the phone without opening them.

 

“KIM WONSHIK! I hope you haven’t forgotten that you need to be at the airport in fifteen minutes!”

 

The exasperated voice of his cousin and friend Jongin had managed to wake him completely, he gave a little jump into his bed surprised; hurried and with some awkwardness he got out of the bed, falling in the ground due the bed sheets tangled on his legs. He kicked in the air releasing him from the sheets, crawling to reach the mobile that had escaped from his hands as he fell. He could hear Jongin yelling from the other side of the line.

 

“I'm on my way.”

 

He lied.

 

But the answer seemed to reassure the boy who had been screaming for the last three minutes. After finishing the call Wonshik took some jeans and a T-shirt out of the closet; he dialed a cab while maintaining a battle against the zipper of his jeans, falling on the couch trying to take the backpack at the same time.

 

After a few minutes that seemed like hours of waiting, the taxi arrived.

 

Wonshik looked at his watch, it was black and had a fancy appearance; it had been his eighteenth birthday gift from his sister, the reason of why he treasured it despite being an imitation. It marked 9:07 in the morning, and if he remembered well the words of Hongbin the day before, the flight would leave in eight minutes.

 

Jongin will kill him.

 

He ran a hand through his tousled brown hair, because of the pressure he forgot to comb his hair and he didn’t recall bringing a snapback with him; he probably would be looking like Dr. Brown from Back to the Future. He took a buck and paid the taxi without even waiting for the driver to return the change, what were a few wons lost to an angry Jongin?

 

Wonshik still appreciated his life.

 

He looked for the second time at his watch, it was nine with thirty-five minutes; he was dead man. He looked around for his friends, expecting to find an annoyed Taemin with an even angrier Jongin accompanied by an uncomfortable Hongbin; or in the worst of the scenarios, the place empty.

 

To his surprise what he found was Hongbin laughing out loud while Jongin reluctantly gave him a few bucks and Taemin complaining, arguing that he had cheated.

 

“I told you; now give me my 50,000 won Taemin. And stop being a whiny baby.”

 

With some regret, Taemin gave the money to Hongbin who was counting it excited, messing his blond hair frustrated because of the beating; and Wonshik could not understand the situation worse. After Hongbin finished counting, and Taemin and Jongin mourning for their money, they remembered the boy's presence.

 

“Can anyone tell me what is happening?”

 

Jongin shook his head and patted his shoulder.

 

“Nothing you have to know, so we better go before the flight departs.”

 

“Don’t worry, just a small bet you'd be here early, which certainly I won.” Hongbin said with a smile grabbing the backpacks from the floor.

 

“Wait a minute; you didn’t believe I would make it in time?” Asked offended Wonshik “Wait ... wasn’t the flight at 9:15?”

 

Hongbin shrugged. “I had to win somehow, right?”

 

***

 

To be honest the idea of spending the weekend in Jeju was something different than this; Wonshik didn’t consider himself fought with nature -in fact they were in good terms-, but he wasn’t a lover of it either so being surrounded by trees in the middle of nowhere made him a bit anxious. They had been walking for hours aimlessly and it began to take its toll on his feet.

 

“Tell me Jongin-ah, no, I should say, give me a reason of why we’re in the woods instead of your dad’s resort.”  Hongbin had a smile on his face but his expression was nothing close to happiness; his face was covered by a layer of sweat and his long brown hair had stuck on his neck, curling slightly.

 

“Why, hyung? Could it be that you don’t like nature?”

 

The boy laughed showing his perfect teeth, enjoying the agony of the elder.

 

“Yeah, well, whatever Jong. But I also like to know that.” said the blond boy.

 

“Do you really consider that living between four walls and been surrounded by just a few trees is to coexist with Mother Nature solely?  No my friends, this is what a real men would do.” He added with a hand on his chest.

 

Taemin and Wonshik released a sigh defeated.

 

“He argued with his father again.” They said in unison.

 

Now it made sense that Jongin asked for his camping tent, and the things that were needed for a camping; Wonshik groaned. They were screwed. Among the four boys he was the one who had more knowledge about the nature and he hadn’t even lasted a month as Boy Scout, moreover, he had failed most of the tests.

 

How they would survive? Only Jongin knew the answer.

 

***

 

After walking for three hours without any rest and apparent direction, Jongin decided to stop.

 

“Well, I think this is the perfect place for camping, what do you say?”

 

“I just hope you brought a GPS or a compass, damn, I don’t want to know that we got lost in the morning.” warned Taemin.

 

“Will it be too late to throw breadcrumbs?” Hongbin asked with mock concern.

 

“Ha-ha. Very funny you two, we must begin to set the tent and then gather water and wood.”

 

“You didn’t bring water, Jongin?!”

 

“It’s good to always have an extra reserve, don’t you think? Besides, how you were supposed to bath, pee and stuff?” he glanced at Wonshik “Ok, maybe you don’t bath but I do.”

 

The boy opened and closed his mouth trying to say something in his defense but couldn’t find what to say, it wasn’t worth arguing with his friends, and in some way or another he would end up losing; so he chose to start pitching the tent camping, after all the tent won’t be setting up by itself and Taemin and Hongbin seemed too busy counting how many rocks they had where they were sitting.

 

Wonshik exhaled and took the larger backpack that Jongin came charging, which was supposed other camping tent; however, what he found was not what he expected, the backpack had everything but the camping tent, he swore to have seen Monggu also there. He mentally counted to ten and turned to see the youngest of the four.

 

“Jongin, tell me you brought the other camping tent I told you to.”

 

The boy stared at him silently, then to Hongbin and then Taemin and smiled with a feign innocence; Wonshik put both hands on his head in frustration.

 

“I'm sorry?”

 

“AH!”

 

Somebody screamed and for a moment Wonshik believed that his thoughts were put on speaker or something like that, but it was Taemin who cried out in despair. He looked at Hongbin, who seemed really overwhelmed for the first time and then to Taemin who did nothing aside kicking the floor and rocks while shouting obscenities. He searched through his things and took the humble camping tent that would be his home for two days, where fit just two of them, maybe three and with some difficulty; and he would make sure that Jongin wasn’t one of those three.

Please log in to read the full chapter