Crash Down

Tattered Cover

"Are you serious?!"

Yifan scanned my face. "What is it?"

"He moved! Tao moved!" I smiled widely. 

"For real?" Yifan smiled back in disbelief. "Well is he awake?"

"No but that's promising!" I was bouncing on the car seat.

Yifan suddenly looked at me, "Did you hang up on the nurse?" 

I paled a little, "Uh.. hello? Jinhee? Are you still there?" I said nervously into the phone. 

"Haha yes I am. Are you coming back soon?" Jinhee asked kindly.

"Oh yes of course! I'm actually on my way back right now! Do you think he'll wake up soon?" My voice was extremely excited even though I was trying to hold it back.

"We're not positive but we believe he'll be waking up some time this week."

"Really?! That early? Oh my gosh!" I turned to Yifan. "They think he'll wake up this week!" I said, updating him on Tao's situation. 

"Really? That's great!" Yifan and I both were now grinning from ear to ear.

"Thank you so much for calling to inform me" I said gratefully. "I'll see you soon."

The nurse said goodbye and we hung up. The whole rest of the car ride was filled with excited talking between my brother and I. He was just about as excited as I was. 

"Do you really think he'll wake up this week?" I asked, losing a bit of the excitement in my voice.

"Well why not!" Yifan said energetically. Then he turned to look at me and frowned slightly. "Hey, where did your positivity go?"

"I don't know.. it's just that I don't want to get my hopes up," my head drooped a little.

"Hey..." Yifan's voice was soft and sympathetic now, "I don't think we have anytime to think about getting our hopes up, okay? We just need to think good thoughts for our beloved friend Tao. He deserves us to believe in him. I think he'll be able to get himself awake this week. Don't you?" Yifan's eyes looked sincerely over at me. But I couldn't meet his gaze.

"Yeah.. you're right. I'll stop being so negative. He's deserves that!" I looked up with a determined smile. Tao, you'll come back to me, won't you? I'm here waiting for you, ready to be by your side every step of the way when you need it.

 

We pulled up to the hospital and Yifan parked while I scurried over to Tao's room. 

The hospital seemed different since I'd been gone for a whole month. Old patients had left and new ones had come in. And Tao, he was still there, unchanging. But soon, I believed he would change for the better. He didn't need to rest for so long, he could wake up now. Couldn't he?

I slowly entered his dark room. The familiar sound of a heart monitor beeped it's way to my ears. There was a dim light lit on the side table but other than that, the room had no light. "Tao~ I'm back! Did you miss me?" I said sweetly into the still air. There was no response, of course, but I felt like he had heard me this time. "Tao, I'm going to open the blinds. It's too dark in here! How can you get any nutrition from the sun's natural light when your blinds are closed, cutting out any happiness from outside." I went over to the window and pulled the blinds open about half way. Then I turned around and looked at my unconscious friend. His complexion was slightly different but I couldn't figure out how. "Tao~ didn't you get enough sleep? I think your beauty sleep is getting a little extensive don't you think? I mean, almost two months!" 

"Is he awake?" Yifan said, rushing into the room.

"Look at him," I said, gesturing to Tao's limp body.

"Well, he seems to look better than I imagined at least," Yifan said, leaning against the wall.

I nodded. "I guess that's good."

"Ah you are here!" Jinhee came into the room quickly. Then she set eyes on Yifan. "Oh. Who are you?" 

"I'm the one that asked that one of the nurses call if there were any updates while we were gone," he said, standing up from the wall. "Wu Fan, but you can call me Kris, nice to meet you," my brother introduced himself and held out his hand to Jinhee.

"Oh nice to meet you, Kris! I'm Jinhee," she shook his hand then turned to me. "Eunmi, it was amazing, his finger twitched and I think I saw his eyelids flutter!"

"Oh my gosh, really? That's amazing!" I jumped up a little in excitement.

"The Dr. Jung has been tied up all day with patients so later he will be checking on Tao's vitals and stuff personally. I checked them originally but since I'm only a training nurse, I am more prone to make mistakes. So since he is overseeing me, he will be checking Tao's state himself." Jinhee looked from my face to Kris's.

"Has it been a busy day here?" I asked, curiously.

"Oh yes, very busy! There was a plane that went down just a couple hundred miles away from here and so most of the patients were flown, ironically, to this hospital."

"Oh were there many people on the plane?" Kris suddenly perked up.

"Um around sixty people."

"Was it an international plane?" He suddenly started speaking quite urgently.

"Uh yes I believe so-"

"Where was it going?" He began getting closer and closer to Jinhee.

"I believe it was headed to America.."

"America?! What was the survival rate?"

"Th-the survival rate?" Jinhee backed up a little in a nervous twinge.

"Fanfan, what's wrong? Why are you asking all of these questions?" I stepped towards him.

"Just tell me the number of survivors please!"

"Fanfan, don't raise your voice!" I scolded my brother, I could tell Jinhee was getting uncomfortable.

"Tell me!"

"Wu Yifan!" I glared at him. He ignored my scolding and my stares and just continued looking directly at Jinhee.

"About fifteen people either died or are close to death," Jinhee gulped. 

"I'll be back," he announced before bolting out of the room.

"Yifan!" I ran past Jinhee and out the door. When I had gotten out to the hall way, he was already at the end and starting to turn around the corner. "Yifan!" I called again, hurrying after him.

Once I had made it around the corner, I spotted him at a desk, talking quickly. AS I drew closer, I began to hear him, "Please just see if he's in this hospital."

"Yifan," I called desperately. I placed my hand gently on his shoulder and he whirled around to face me. 

"What is it, Eunmi?" His voice sounded almost cold. I was totally taken aback.

"Yifan? What's going on?" I looked at him with pleading eyes.

"Nothing..." he looked away from me.

"Yifan, I know something is wrong. Just tell me, okay gege?" Finally he met my eyes.

"Luhan was leaving to America today."

"Wait did he wake up?!"

"No, but they were having physicians fly out with him to America so that the doctors in America can hopefully help him."

"Oh.. Is he in this hospital? Is he...Is he alive?" I swallowed hard.

"I don't know, Eunmi. I'm trying to find out right now but they haven't identified everyone yet." The girls behind the desk looked apologetically at us.

"Well, may we look at those who are recovering right now?" I looked the girls in the eyes.

"I suppose we can permit that. If you do find him, please report back so we can put him on an identification sheet." One of the ladies led us to the long line of rooms with patients, specifically the plane accident patients. "Remember, they are patients so please don't scare them or be anything other than nice. They need comforting so please be gentle," she finished speaking and left us with the  first room.

"Okay, let's do this," I said taking a deep breath.

"I-I don't know if I can do this.." Kris hesitated to approach the room.

"Yifan, Luhan needs us. He deserves to be searched for. There is a possibility that he won't be here but if that's true, we'll keep looking where ever else they brought the passengers," I softly grabbed his hands.

"How can you be sure that we aren't wasting our time looking here?" 

"How couldn't I be? This is your friend. He is worth the time. Plus, I believe in fate. He'll be here, don't worry gege."

He finally nodded so we walked into the room together. The first one we saw was a woman. She wasn't too badly injured but it seemed like she wasn't going to wake up nay time soon. We went through eleven rooms. After discovering that the patient inside was not the person we were looking for, we would leave wishing the patient to get well soon. 

Yifan looked at me hopelessly.

"Don't give up, Fanfan."

We slowly entered the room. This patient was burned. There was this white bandage wrapped around the sides of his face. It went under his chin and over his head, covering his ears and parts of his cheeks. Though both sides were covered the same amount, I realized that his right side seemed to have extra gauze and ointments smeared along. I was guessing that he had been burned on his right side rather than his left but in order to properly wrap the burned side of his face, they had to wrap the bandage all around his head. On top of his irritated looking cheek, his eye was slightly puffy for some reason and there was an intense looking brace gripping his right leg. Though most of his right side seemed to be more damaged, there was a large gash on his left arm that seemed to have been left open. Shouldn't that get stitches? 

Finally, I looked at his face closely. My words got caught in my throat and I was having a hard time getting my saliva to go down my throat, I couldn't seem to swallow.

"Oh my.." Kris stood in front of the bed. His hand reached up to cover his mouth. 

"Th-that's him, right?" I asked, scared to know whether or not it was.

Yifan couldn't speak, he only nodded to me. I didn't know whether I wanted to gasp or sigh in relief. In someways I was glad that this was only the extent of his injuries. But I also was not happy about his injuries His beautiful face was burned. His fair arm was torn and his thin leg was, from the looks of it, shattered. 

Just then, a nurse entered. She was looking down and when he looked up, she gasped and almost dropped the tools in her hands. "Oh my, do you guys know him?" She asked.

"Yes, he is our friend," I answered since I knew Yifan wasn't going to be able to.

"Oh. I'm so sorry about his arm's wound being left open like that.. I was just informed that I was supposed to close it but I didn't know. I sincerely apologize, today has been such a hectic day here," she looked at Luhan apologetically.

"Oh no it's no problem. As long as you clean it and close it up well," I said, trying to reassure her.

"Also, we ran multiple tests on him and we aren't exactly sure why but he's in a coma. He must have hit his head hard on the impact."

"No, he was already in a coma. He was being transferred when the accident happened," I told her.

"Oh really? What's his name? We can put it up outside of his rom so that people don't have to look at an extra person that has already been identified."

"His name is Lu Han," Kris said, finally being able to speak.

"Okay, I'll write his name outside of the door after stitching his arm." 

All of a sudden, the speaker came on over the hospital saying, "Dr. Jung, please report to patient Huang's room, Dr. Jung please report to patient Huang's room!"

My face paled. "We need to go check on our friend," I said quickly and then started running down the hall towards Tao's room.

 

__________

Thank you so much for reading! I'm so sorry for my extensive absence! >.<

Let me know what you think in the comments ^^

Bye~ Have a nice day!