final

That One Night

Hey there~ It's been a while. We've been blessed with so much WenRene tonight. So here's a short one-shot for everyone. Enjoy~

 

 

 

 

 

We were on our way home from an event when the sudden beeping of my phone woke me from my short slumber.

 

I pulled it out of my pocket to see who was calling me at this late hour.

 

Irene

 

I shrugged the drowsiness off my shoulders and clicked on the answer button,

 

“Hello?”

 

“Wan-ah…”

 

She’s been crying

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

I know exactly what’s wrong but…

 

“Please come home soon.”

 

Hearing how broken she sounded on the phone made my heart ache. I wanted to rush out of the car and run through the crowded streets just to be beside her right now.

 

She needs me.

 

“We’re only a few kilometers away. I’ll be there soon. Can you smile for me?”

 

I heard a short and strained giggle from the other line, “You wouldn’t be able to see it anyway.”

 

“Just smile for me. I always know if you’re actually doing things or not.”

 

This time, a cute laugh was her answer,

 

“You’re hopeless.”

 

“Atleast I made you laugh.” I smiled to myself.

 

“Are you near?”

 

“Almost there, dear. Patience is a virtue.”

 

“Okay… I’ll be in my room.”

 

“Joohyun unnie…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I just wanted to hear your voice one last time before hanging up.”

 

“Silly. You’ll hear me live soon.” She chuckled once again. “I’m hanging up.”

 

“Bye.”

 

And that ended our call.

 

A small smile grazed my lips as I stared on the scenery outside the car.

 

“Sometimes I don’t understand how Irene unnie sounds all needy and sad the first thing she calls you and when your conversation is about to end, she’s suddenly all giddy inside.” A voice coming from the back seat said.

 

“You heard that? Nosy kid.”

 

“Not my fault that my hearing sense is top class.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“But really unnie… I’m kind of worried for Irene unnie right now. She’s always been so…” Our group’s resident chicken lover trailed off, “She… she keeps all the things that might have possibly hurt her all to herself. Is she really okay?”

 

I sighed, “Knowing her, she’s just trying to sound happy and pretend that everything’s fine. She doesn’t want us to worry about her but that only makes me want to take care of her more.”

 

I looked at the mirror upfront of the car and stared at the two snoring figures beside Joy, “She doesn’t want any of us to worry, specially those two kids beside you.”

 

After that small exchange, we stayed quiet for the rest of the ride.

 

We arrived at the dorm thirty minutes after I’ve received Irene unnie’s call.

 

A groggy Seulgi was about to open the door and go straight to our shared room when I called for their attention,

 

“Yeri, can you stay with Seulgi and Joy for tonight?”

 

“Why? Are you going  to make Irene unnie scream again?”

 

“I’m going to let that pass and pretend that you’re still very sleepy so whatever comes out from your mouth doesn’t make sens-” Joy shushed my mouth with her forefinger.

 

“Unnie, I’ll take care of these two. They’re obviously…” Joy stared at Seulgi who was leaning on the door frame, drool about to fall from the side of , “Tired is an understatement.”

 

My heart melted at the sight of Joy, one of our youngest, taking responsibility for our group’s always-sleepy duo.

 

“You’ve grown up so much.” I muttered as Joy dragged both Seulgi and Yeri to their room.

 

“I demand free fried chicken for this.”

 

“It’s a deal.”

 

 

 

 

 

- - -

 

 

 

 

 

I made my way to the room across ours after changing into much more comfortable clothes (and putting a crazed Yeri to sleep. Joy was in the process of lying her on the bed when she suddenly fell. Believe me, it was a disaster.)

 

I knocked on the door once but knowing how Joohyun unnie is, she’s probably bundled up in her blanket by this time so I just entered the room with much ease.

 

As expected, she’s on her bed probably fiddling with her phone. I can’t clearly see what she’s doing since she’s facing the wall.

 

Without her noticing, I walked to where her bed’s located and stared at her figure for a while.

 

I slid next to her and went under the covers, pulling her in by the waist in the process.

 

After I’ve settled both of my hands over her tummy, she spoke up,

 

“Hey.”

 

“I’m here.”

 

“I know.”

 

She threw her phone on the side of the bed and turned to face me.

 

I looked at her with curious eyes; it’s as if we were having a staring contest.

 

I therefore settled my left hand on her waist while my right hand made its way to cup her left cheek.

 

A lone tear escaped from her eye.

 

“You don’t need to pretend that everything’s okay. The walls that you’ve built up, I’ll be able to penetrate them. It’s fine to be weak sometimes,” I wiped her tear-stained cheek with my thumb, “Let me be the one to take the pain away.”

 

She gripped on my shirt and finally broke down.

 

I wanted to cry with her but no, I needed to be strong.

 

This time, I want her to know that she can rely on me too.

 

“Hey,” I lifted her chin up with my fingers, “Look at me.”

 

I regretted saying those words because what I’ve seen in her once clear eyes was now nothing but pain.

 

You need to be strong for her.

 

“You can tell me what’s wrong.”

 

Though I know what has exactly happened earlier but I wanted to hear it from her.

 

“I…” She sniffed. “Kind of messed up on Music Bank.”

 

“Bae, we all make mistakes. People can’t expect you to be perfect.”

 

“But they do…”

 

“Listen to me, some people might expect things from you, things that might as well be impossible for any of us to attain,” I planted a kiss on her forehead, “But you’re not a superhuman. You can and you will make mistakes. And if you do, you can always count on me to lighten up things a bit. I may not be that much but hey, I’m the warmest person you’ve known so far, right?”

 

I gave her a sincere smile.

 

“When you feel like the world is being unfair to you, this small body of mine will always be ready to serve as your strength.”

 

“What has happened to the frail Wendy that I know?” She chuckled.

 

“She sensed that you were having a hard time so she made revisions and came back as a stronger person.”

 

She’s smiling but tears were still streaming down her face.

 

“Joohyun unnie.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I want to continue this pep talk but I just thought of a better plan.”

 

“That plan being?”

 

“Kissing your tears away.”

 

I didn’t waste time and focused on the task at hand.

 

I started by rubbing the tip of my nose with hers, my hand which was resting on her waist was now cupping her right cheek.

 

The melodious sound of her laughter filled the four corners of the room.

 

I didn’t stop there.

 

I kissed her left brow and then her right,

 

I made my way down her cheeks and left several smooches here and there,

 

And one of my favorite spots, her nose. I kissed the tip of it ever so gently.

 

Finally, there was only one thing left.

 

She playfully pushed me away and said, “I thought you were just going to kiss my tears away?”

 

I moved closer to her again, my breath ghosting over her upper lip, “You don’t want it then? Fine wit-”

 

She pulled me in for a kiss, her lips soft, sweet and pressed against mine.

 

“Thank you for giving me and for being my strength.” She muttered against my lips.

 

“You’ve always been the one giving, it’s about time for me to return that love and care.”

 

We both intertwined our fingers, one by one as we let sleep take over our already clouded thoughts.

 

“I love you, Seungwan.”

 

“Always have and always will, Joohyun unnie.”

 

 

 

 

 

Fail fail fail. I feel like I don't know how to write anymore. *sobs*

It's short and gross and cheesy af. Haha. I really had a hard time finishing this because WenRene suddenly appeared out of nowhere while I was in the middle of writing this. Bless our ship.

Ayt, I won't make this A/N any longer. Thoughts? Comments? Violent reactions? Please do leave one below, I love reading your comments. (:

I guess I'm back in action. If there are any typos or grammatical errors, I'll probably fix those tomorrow.

 

~ XOXO