Prologue

Love, Keep Me On My Toes

Prologue

 

 

It was another day at school. Another day of boring classes and even more boring comments coming from the people they knew not. EXODUS, a contemporary dance partnership, had once been somewhat popular when they were younger. Having been dancers for quite some time, they had seen the interest hip hop music was getting. Slowly but surely contemporary dancers were not as high ranked in society. Hip Hop dancers were gaining popularity until they remained so few at school that the four friends who had been dancing together for ages finally found their name. Together, they went against the current, not understanding the interest for Hip Hop nor did they comprehend the hate they received for what they did.  

 

The comments came and went as they walked around school, from class to class. Kai and Tao, the two youngest, were standing shoulder to shoulder as words were lashing them from all around them. They had entered a competition with the rest of EXODUS and instead of being happy that they had won, people thought it would look badly on the school to have such a girly trophy. With his shoulders slightly forward, as if to hide, Kai was accelerating his pace towards the classroom, knowing they wouldn't insult them there. It could have been just another day at school when Tao heard voices he knew only too well. Stopping his slow transition to class, he his heels and stalked towards the empty classroom where he knew only the popular kids found themselves. People, getting in his way, backtracked when they saw the murderous features his face now held. Kai, following blindly behind, took a hold of Tao's hand and tried to slow down the progress of his friends, even while knowing just what was happening. He knew Tao would blow a gasket and it would not be any better for any of them. It could only grow worse. 

 

When Tao finally reached the door that closed them from the rest of his friends, he knocked his foot at the bottom of it and watched as it banged against the wall. His eyes held a certain glint as he watched what was going on. Two of his friends were being thrown pieces of wet paper and other stupid objects. The grin that was on bully's face slowly morphed into contempt. He did not like being interrupted when he was throwing his best insults at the losers. When he noticed who it was (two more losers!), his grin returned and slowly walked towards the newcomers. Instead of being afraid like the other losers, Se Hun noticed that the taller one took a step forward and nodded to his friends as they scrambled behind him.  

 

Se Hun and Tao stood in the middle of the room, a couple feet apart, staring at each other with hate. When Se Hun's mouth opened and started spewing hateful words towards Tao and his friends, the tall loser kicked up his leg in one fluid move and reached for Se Hun's face, stopping before reaching the scared features. Se Hun, shocked at the attack, was about to reach for the leg when it found its way towards his stomach where it did not suddenly stop before hitting him. It actually dug into his skin and left a smear on his white polo shirt. Reeling back at the force of the kick, he stumbled backwards until he touched the wall and slumped against it. His friends, having not been there, came running in and saw the kick but not the premise. A screaming match started while Tao's friends defended the young man, screaming back at the popular ones, his eyes were trained onto Se Hun with a quirked eyebrow. He slowly turned around and walked towards the door with soft steps. Finding himself face-to-face with some of the worst bullies in the school, he glared into their leader's eyes until the brushy eyebrows knitted together in confusion. Losers did not look at the cool kids like that, they always looked on with jealousy, envy and a little bit of respect. Yet, this kid, this unknown was looking at him with pity and nothing else.  

 

Shoving his shoulder against the leader of the dance crew, Tao walked out of there with his friends following closely behind which left the crew together as they watched Se Hun boil in rage at having been beaten by a loser. His pride was hurt and while he was ragging against a wall, the principal arrived with a cheerful smile. 

 

"I heard something bad happened between you guys and EXODUS," said the older man with a smile the size of the sun. 

 

"What's that to you?" said one person in the group. 

 

"Well, I am now tired of all this violence. Hence why I request of you and EXODUS to work together as a team and compose a dance for the end of the year." 

 

"No, not happening. We will not be seen playing nice with those losers. Do you not see what one of them did to Se Hun's body? All battered and bruised?" Kris said with a frown, not feeling guilty for exaggerating the facts at all. 

 

"I just said request so it would seem more polite. You guys do not have a choice in this matter. You will work together until you reach a consensus on everything in the choreography you will compose as a team," the principal said in his most cheerful voice before walking out of the room with light steps. 

 

The shock could still be read on their faces as they turned towards each other with wide eyes, not believing what was about to happen. They, the El Dorado crew, had to make friends with them, the EXODUS losers? How could that even work?!