1. Heart [심장]

Star Angel

Life is a carousel
Dancing 'round the mirrors we go up and down
So let the music take away the hurt you've come to know so well

stock-illustration-259699-vector-divider

 Heart [심장] 

      Beep Beep Beep "We have a unresponsive female victim age 17 unsteady heart rate is rising above 120bpm." "Victim is seen to have severe physical injuries including head trauma internal bleeding is possible." "Her pupils are responsive and she's showing no signs of severe brain damage yet." 

     Different voices echoed all over the place as they swarm around trying to save the lifeless body in front of them. The young doctor who arrived quickly began examining the victim. Leaning forward to the girl in front of her she let out a gasp at the familiar face in front of her even with trails of blood and the oxygen mask on, her forehead creased with surprised.

      A bloody familiar chain hangs from her neck making the doctor 100% sure who was lying in front of her. Immediately frozen her actions faltering one of the nurses gave her a puzzle look. "Dr. Kim are you okay?" The nurse nudge her gently as the doctor looked at her snapping out of the trance she was in. 

     "Yes I'm fine," taking a deep breath her eyes narrowed in concentration resuming her task, examining the injuries and feeling for her pulse her face looking grim, "Hello? Can you hear me Jung Soojung?" The doctor repeated her name searching for signs of responsiveness.

      "Doctor!" A nurse exclaimed pointing to the small twitch at the girl's left hand index finger that was slightly cut and her eyes widening in slits. 

       "Oh my god yes." Everyone in the emergency breathe a slight breath of relief at the girl's consciousness but the moment was short-lived. 

      "Dr. Kim her pulse is still increasing above 150bpm. " One of the nurse said urgently with the sound of the beeping monitor accompanying it. The female's eyes widen at the sudden change of the situation the girl's twitch turning fainter by the minute, her body slowly going back to unconsciousness.  

       "Jung Soojung stay with me okay? Stay with me," Dr. Kim whispered to the broken girl in front of her. Each and every second was crucial as the staff looked at the doctor waiting for instructions. Dr. Kim eyes narrowed as she examined the girl's head her mind in a internal struggle.

     The doctor eyes locked at the body in front of her, her options were numbered due to the fact of the condition the young girl was in. Jung Soojung had extreme loss of blood and was showing signs of going into cardiac arrest soon if they didn't stop it. The crew could perform the defibrillation procedure to steady the girl's heart which is quite risky and that would mean each time they try every 10% chance to restart the heart is lost. The second choice she had was to immediately rush to perform a CAT scan to see all the areas affect by the trauma and perform surgery that can be dangerous with the instability of the heart. If the heart loses activity during the surgery this young girl would be gone. 

      Both options were risky and none had the 100% guarantee she would make it through the procedure. Choices, choices, choices that would affect a life and Dr. Kim didn't want to make any of them.

"Dr. Kim its hard isn't it?" The girl smiled at the older, one that held knowledge and sympathy breaking the silence. They were standing in the rooftop with the sun slowly setting. With a cup in hand both companions held a serene expression of their face, the summer breeze drifting by in the air. "To always have to decide what to do with a human life." The older looked at the younger in surprised at the sudden topic unsure how to answer. "Decisions that have such huge responsibility," The younger continued to mummer whether to herself or the older it wasn't certain. 

       "Dr. Kim!" A nurse shook her lightly, her face pinched in concern and Dr. Kim looked around the room the staff all filled with anxiety with some looking at the beeping screen showing the drastic change the girl was facing inside her body.

       She gritted her teeth then nodded, "Perform a CAT scan immediately on this girl and prepare the operation room. Contact Dr. Wu I want him to be in charge of this operation."

        "But Dr. Wu has a day off today and we're not sure if we would be able to contact him in time." One of the staff memember quickly protested and Dr. Kim turned towards him her voice filled with an edge.

        "Contact him now and bring him to the hospital he would want to take this operation, for now prepare for surgery and I want a full view of all the injuries in this girl, all staff on standby she doesn't have much time." They nodded and rolled the gunrey out quickly as Dr. Kim followed along pulling the drapes away as she saw familiar faces.

         "Taeyeon! How is she?!" A boy in black hair asked approaching her quickly and grabbing onto her shoulder. "What is her situation right now? Is she ok and safe?"

         "Stop it Sehun shaking her isn't going to help you get any answers calm down first." Suho said and placed a hand on the boys shoulder whom quickly duck away.

          "I can't Suho how can I be calm when I just heard got called that she's at the hospital in critical condition?!" Sehun shouted at his friends face showing his panic and his hand repeatedly ran through his black hair. Along with Sehun and Baekhyun, Taeyeon could see roughly 7 more members of EXO, a middle-aged man, and a girl briskly and following the staff. Pressing quickly for the next elevator they crowded over her.

         "We're preparing a CAT scan on her and she'll probably have surgery, we've already called Kris to take this operation and he's coming back as fast as he can. She lost a lot of blood from the hit and may be suffering from subdural hemorrhage and hemothorax already but that's only the main points we're not sure how many other injuries she sustain from the trauma. If she continues on-"

         "Whoa whoa slow down and speak human language will you?" Sehun snapped at her in irritation the words not coming through.

         Taeyeon glared at him slightly but understood the frustration he was experiencing. All getting out of the elevator she looks at the emergency room sign blinking. She paused and rephrased her words, "We're going to perform a CAT scan on her, she has severe blood loss and a blood transfusion is needed or she might go into cardiac arrest. Her lungs are most likely puncture because of the lack of oxygen she was demonstrating, her brain may have internal bleeding that needs to be cleared out. But the thing is we're not sure which other organs was affected from the accident and if they start failing she will die in the middle of the surgery." As calmly as she can at the end of the explanation a small tremor in her voice betrayed her fear. The elevator stopped with a ding and the middle-aged man looked at the door to the surgery room worry plaster on his face. 

          "Wait are you saying she will die?" The girl exclaimed her state looking to be having a mental breakdown already and Taeyeon gazed at her sadly. 

          "No," She pauses letting the word sink in, "I'm saying that her chance of surviving is only 10% throughout all the surgeries and even if she does survive she might remain in comatose state." Taeyeon murmur the truth aloud, the girl burst out the tears she's been holding while Kai consoles her quietly, Sehun punched the wall hard, and Kyungsoo was playing with his fingers, and the rest were silent their eyes speaking more than words can. 

          "Is there any other way to save her?" Chanyeol's deep voice asked his playful expression long gone, Taeyeon smiled bleakly at all of them and whispered the only word in her mind. 

           "Pray."

 stock-illustration-259699-vector-divider

6 Months Ago

"In the quadratic formula when used to solve for the function there would be 2 answers for the y. The whole reason for this is because on the graph there would be 2 points..." Mr. Lee continued to explain to the class in front of him where many kids were falling asleep on their desks or passing notes around but mostly no one were paying attention. 

    "... if you guys do not get the correct answer for this question I'm going to take 50% off your final test grade and Bae Suzy since you're busy talking go solve the problem!" The girl sitting in the middle row raised her head instinctively away from her phone hidden in her desk. 

    "Um well Mr. Lee," her eyes darted to the piece of paper thrown onto her desk. "The answer is (9,-30)?" She blurted out making the teacher his eyebrow up. 

    "Are you asking me Ms. Bae or telling me?"

     "Um telling you...?" She answers back hesitantly as he gives her a hard stare.

      Finally he turns away with a nod before continung off with the lesson Suzy breathing a sigh of relief before shooting a small smile to the girl near the window.

      DING! "Remember class your test is next week and remember to study." Mr. Lee said aloud on top of the sound of papers crinkling and heavy steps running out of the class. It was just a typical day in Danshin High School where people bustled like bees all with a destination in mind. The crowded hallways with the sound of lockers opening, heavy footsteps, and voices resonacing. A girl stood up from her seat continuing to pack up her stuff from the desk before being tackle from behind.

      Losing her balance slightly she stumbles before glaring at the person behind her. "Yah Bae Suzy what the hell's wrong with you?" 

      The raven hair girl laughs at her friend's annoyance, "You know I'm touchy, but I gotta thank you for saving me back there. I don't even know what'll happen if I was caught back there."

      Walking together out of the room with arms loop around each other they weave their way through the crowd. The brown hair girl lets out a tsk, "Yea well if only you'll stop playing with your phone and listen then you wouldn't have to worry."

      Suzy makes a face, "I can't Mr. Lee's class is so boring and speaking of which Minah says she has the newest exclusive copy of the Diamond Fashion magazine!" she squeals aloud in excitement. 

      "Well you won't find it boring once your mom kills you for failing Geometry. You're gonna have to kiss your magazines goodbye if you don't start paying attention." The girl counters back making Suzy wince at the thought.

      "Argh but you know how much I love those magazines. I need to check out those fashion designs." Suzy protestes, and the girl couldn't counter back knowing the importance it held to Suzy. In Dashin High also known as Dashin Performing Arts High School every student was talented and was one of the toppest Arts school in South Korea. Legendary dancers, artists, singers, idols, designers, and more were born from this school were only the best exists. Dreams were made true or either crush in this highly competitive school. For Suzy designing was her passion and dream that meant everything to her.

     Finally they stop in front of the lockers, the girl pushes the combination in to unlock her lock while Suzy continues buzzing on about the latest designs in the Cosmo Edition or maybe the models in the Velvet Fashion Show she didn't know for certain.

     "Well I'm starving lets go to the cafeteria," the girl said in locking her locker ready to head in that direction. 

     Suzy freezes as if a thought dawn on her that moment and she looks guiltily at her friend in front of her. Fiddling with her fingers nervously she opens about to say something when a loud voice interupts from behind. 

    "Bae Suzy there you are!" A girl runs quickly to them the sound of her high heels sounding hard on the school floor. Reaching them in a few seconds she smiles to Suzy cheerfully completely ignoring the other one. 

     "Hey Minah," the girl chose to start the conversation first. Minah gives a smile in return one that was so fake like she was a distraction. Bang Minah first known as the new-girl for 2 weeks before being called the prettiest girl in the school. Talent was singing and fashion which definitely drew Suzy into being her friend. 

     "So Suzy you ready?" Minah asks Suzy who still held a guilty look on her face. The girl suddenly felt like an outsider and she turns her atttention to Suzy in a questioning look. 

    "Um well Minah offered to work with me on some designs during lunch I forgot to tell you I'm sorry." Suzy says while looking at the girl hoping she wasn't mad.

    The girl stiffens just briefly before Minah slips in, "If you want you can come with us." Suzy eyes brighten at that offer and turns toward the girl waiting for an answer. 

    She offers a smile, "No its ok Suzy I can just hang with Eunji today."  Suzy looks as if she was about to protest but Minah loops her arm around Suzy, "Ok well bye we'll see you later!" From behind both could be placed as sisters or friends with their same color hair tone and somehow she felt out of place.

    She was left standing in the empty hallway by herself, heaving a sigh she heads to the rooftop immediately hit by the light fall breeze. Dropping her schoolbag on the side she steps onto the ledge. To anyone who saw her she would be label as crazy and dangerous but she knew there was no way she could die except maybe break her leg if she falls since there was another lower roof below her. But it was the closest thing she could do to feel death.

    "Jung Soojung you're an idiot." She murmmers to herself gripping lightly on the necklace on her neck with the shape of a heart.

stock-illustration-259699-vector-divider

Another day is gone
Washed away with sorrows that you dwelled upon
And as the moon is rising, you think to yourself
I could be gone, if I go now


Words: 2,445
Hands of Time- Rachel Diggs