Lunar New Year

Lunar New Year

You sighed as you looked down at your phone, seeing the time. You thought it was ridiculous that Jinyoung had to work on the Lunar New Year, but you knew that he really didn't have a say in the matter. That was the life of an idol, being handed a schedule and told to follow it. Of course, he did have some down time, and for that, you were thankful.

"He promised that he would be home by now," you said, speaking to your cat who was lazily lounging on the couch as you poured yourself a cup of tea.

Of course, the cat didn't respond. In fact, it didn't even look your way. Another sigh left your mouth as you sat down beside the feline, placing the mug on the coffee table in front of you. "So you're ignoring me, too, huh?"

You knew you shouldn't feel disappointed, but you had been looking forward to tonight for a while. It would be your third new year together, and you didn't want that streak to be broken. Especially since he promised to be next to you.

Deciding it would be best to keep you distracted until you made your way to the balcony of your apartment, you decided to turn on the television, though you weren't really paying attention to anything happening. Instead, you came up with ridiculous scenarios in you mind. What if he forgot? Or what if he got injured on stage?

You, of course, had watched their televised performance and he seemed fine, but what if he did something on the way off? Like rolled his ankle? What if they got into a car accident?

You felt your heart rate increase and you knew that you had to stop yourself. Jinyoung is okay, you told yourself firmly. Taking a deep breath you turned your attention back to the screen. An episode of Kill Me, Heal Me. You hadn't seen any of the previous episodes, nor did you plan on watching any of the future ones, but you needed something to keep you busy, and it seemed to do the trick.

Every now and again you would check your phone for any messages, but there were none.

Leaning your head against the back of the couch, you closed your eyes, exhaling deeply. It wasn't like him to just leave you completely in the dark. If practices ran long or his schedule was running a bit behind, he would always text you so that your mind could be at ease.

It was a while later, maybe an hour or so, when you heard your phone go off. Opening your eyes, you realized that you had fallen asleep. Jinyoung still wasn't home. He would have woken you to see the fireworks due to start in just thirty minutes. Picking up your phone and pressing the unlock button, you say you had gotten a new message.

 

Jagi, I will be home soon. I promise. Saranghae.

 

Seeing the words called for you to relax, but only a little. Why had he been so late to send you such a simple text? It would have only taken a few seconds. A minute, tops.

You cleaned up the mess you had made on the coffee table and the kitchen counter, knowing he would want to be welcomed by a clean and warm house. And his girlfriend, of course.

In the middle of washing a pan from lunch, the front door opened. You heard the newcomer take off their shoes and coat to place them in the closet where they belonged before adventuring into the kitchen.

"Jagiya," Jinyoung sighed, wrapping his arms around your waist. A smile graced your features as you leaned into the embrace, thankful that he was finally home.

"Oppa," you said, turning off the water. "Why are you so late? You were supposed to be back two hours ago."

As you turned around, Jinyoung removed his hands from your body, allowing you to move freely. Your boyfriend was smirking at you, however, it wasn't something that made you suspicious.

"What?" You asked, giving a light laugh.

You were answered with the shake of a head and a simple, "Nothing," before he walked through the kitchen, down the hall, and into the bedroom that the two of you shared. He definitely had something up his sleeve, but you decided it would be best to leave it alone for now.

Not too long later, you were standing outdoors, staring up at the sky as you both waited for the show to start. You were held tightly in Jinyoung's arms, your back being pressed against his body. Though it was February, between the closeness of the two of you and the layers of clothes you had on, you could barely feel the cold wind blowing against you.

You jumped a bit at the noise of firework, but you relaxed quickly, seeing it's vibrant colors explode across the sky.

"So," you said after a moment once it was quiet again. "What were you up to today?"

Your Oppa pulled away and you turned to face him. Jinyoung reached into his pocket and pulled out a long and thin, black box. The name of a local jeweler was scribed in gold on the top. "Getting you this," he said, a soft and breathy laugh punctuating his words as he uncovered a necklace on a silver chain. A single ruby cut in the shape of a heart was set with more silver and small diamonds swirling around it. In terms of jewelry went, it was rather simple, but elegant.

Looking up your boyfriend, you had a wide smile across your face. "It's beautiful."

The end of your words was cut off by the next firework. At the same time, he moved to stand behind you, taking the silver chain and clasping it around you neck.

You gently held onto the pendant as you felt a pair of lips press against your temple.

"I love you," Jinyoung said, just loud enough for you to hear. "Happy New Year."

As more color spread across the sky, you closed your eyes, wishing for only good things to come to you and your boyfriend in the coming year.