Part; 3.

Daisy Illusive; Our Youth

 

“Alone time is necessary in any relationship. Be it with friends, family, or your significant other; you will always need time apart, sometimes. To pamper, relax, indulge, cry, let your mind and body rejuvenate. We have to take care of ourselves. Now that so much time has passed, I don’t know what I should have done, back then. Whether I needed more alone time, or if I had too much.”

 

“...Regardless, that’s the past.”

 

 

Rain. It’s nice whether it’s heavy or thin. It makes the gutters on Soojung’s roof rattle and it makes the hole in the corner of her ceiling drip slowly. Regardless of how rainy days kept you inside and how they cancelled your plans, they’re nice. Maybe not everyone agrees; Jongin doesn’t, for one. Soojung could picture it now, he was probably moping around his bedroom, completely unable to use his free time wisely. He’d pick up a book, flick through perhaps a page or two, and then put it back down on the stack of novels he’d previously purchased with the intent to someday read. The same with his games; he had a console, one of those Super Nintendo, but right now if he started it up he’d probably put it back down and go back to brooding at the windowsill and just waiting for the sky to dry up. Jongin was very susceptible to cabin fever.

 

It brought a smile to Soojung’s face. No malice, it was simply a cute image.

 

Taemin and Soojung could both agree that rainy days were nice. They threw a spanner in the works, albeit a little one. Today their plan was a beach day, an event they held fortnightly every Sunday morning, but there were always going to be Sunday mornings. There was no use in fussing. 

 

“Here,” 

 

Soojung glanced in the direction of that soft voice, snapping out of her daydream about Jongin as her eyes met with those belonging to Taemin.

 

“Chicken soup with extra noodles, just like you demanded.” he smiled, placing two bowls down on the coffee table and getting comfortable in the pile of blankets and pillow’s they’d haphazardly thrown together on the carpet.

 

“Demanded?” Soojung scoffed almost, giving Taemin a pointed look with raised eyebrows. “I paid for it, I think I’m within my rights.”

 

“Sorry, you demanded I walk through the rain to get it.”

 

“No, you could have driven!”

 

“Why would I drive when the takeout place is just a block away?”

 

“I have no idea. That was completely your choice.” Soojung shook her head and disregarded any further argument from then on. She just tucked her hair back and blew at her first spoonful. 

 

Taemin kept on smiling, small breathy laughter leaving him as he watched her eat; and she pretended not to notice, she pretended that the pink staining her cheeks came from the warmth of her first mouthful of soup. It was obvious how she ignored him, and it was obvious how he stared, but it somehow didn’t click for either of them. They shared a moment, like it or not.

 

There was nothing special about hanging out with Taemin. It was a common event. Ever since they were little he’d come over on weekends just to play in her bedroom or her backyard. Soojung didn’t often go to his house, he has a studious older brother and it was always just a little weird, seeing as both boys shared a room. 

 

Likewise, there was nothing special about sharing his company today. He’d driven out to pick up Soojung for beach day, but the heavy rain started and stopped them just as she was changing into her bathers. 

 

Half way through their meals, Taemin spoke up; “Should we go to Jongin’s?”

 

Now, there was nothing wrong with that prospect, it was normal, common, they always did this. But right in that moment, Soojung’s instant answer was ‘no’. Though, she didn’t say this. She wasn’t even completely sure why the denial so quickly passed through her mind; Jongin’s house was nice. It had a heater, he had games and books and no siblings that still lived there, plus his ceiling wasn’t leaky. And, they had dogs; two big chubby poodles that loved being pet. Honestly, there’s no downside to Jongin’s.

 

“Let’s finish eating first.” she spoke, turning to look at her bowl.

 

Silence, and a gaze locked on her side profile.

 

“...If you don’t want to, then...?” 

 

Soojung faltered at those words, spoken almost too gently to have come from Taemin. His smile was gone, there was concern in his tone, and his expression- although from a distant may have seemed blank- was tweaked in the subtlest way that it resembled someone who looked worried. 

 

Why? Had she sounded upset? Angry? Honestly, she couldn’t recall the tone of voice she’d used, and she didn’t understand why Taemin had turned to her so abruptly or why those eyes were boring into her. 

 

“No, I’m fine?” her tone came out surprised, and she noticed the other’s face soften. “I just want to finish first.”

 

He didn’t speak. God, she hates when he just stares and waits, presuming she has more to say on the matter.

 

“Honestly. Quit staring.” A hard pinch to his cheek fixed him right up, and his completely over the top and fake yelp of pain had Soojung grinning. 

 

“Finish so we can go. He’s probably gone half crazy all alone in there.”

 

With exchanged smiles, the two finished their meals, and Soojung was none the wiser for the reasoning for Taemin’s sudden burst of concern.

 

 

“What are you both doing!?” 

 

It was too late. The moment the words left him, the air was knocked from his lungs and he was dragged down his front steps, white t-shirt clinging to his body almost instantly from the weight of the heavy rain.

 

“Stop, guys-“

 

No coherently worded response. Just laughter, and lots of it. A higher pitched laugh that bubbled and made her teeth show, loud, full of shrieks at each splash of the puddles beneath their feet. It was a laugh that had Jongin’s chest tight, but he had no time to focus on it and really let it take him before Taemin’s hands were on his shoulders and he was forcibly bent and made into a human seat. More laughter, from both Taemin and Soojung, both of them careless and just having fun despite how the rain beat down on them and made dark hair cling to their faces.

 

Jongin almost dropped Taemin, but with a struggle and some effort he’d managed to hold the older up on his back, instantly grinning as he let himself be pulled into whatever game Soojung and him were playing. Cheers of victory sounded from Soojung as she balled her fists and raised her arms above her head, just shouting and grinning as she jumped and splashed through the rain filled dips in the blacktop. Taemin joined in, cooing and yelling with one arm holding on for dear life around Jongin’s shoulders and the other held up high.

 

They’d run here in the rain without a care. Taemin fumbled his keys one too many times and after three or four failed attempts at unlocking the car, he just grinned and pocketed them, smiled at Soojung and mumbled under his breath that they should just run there. And without a word of approval from Soojung, he was gone.

 

Now all three of them were drenched, cheering and gaining curious looks from curtained windows as they danced about the streets and shook from the cold. This went on for far too long, until Jongin physically couldn’t take it anymore and Taemin tumbled to the asphalt, probably scraping up his elbows in the process- but his grin didn’t falter even a little bit.

 

“You... you guys… we’re all going to catch colds now...” Jongin puffed, hands curled on his waist as his chest rose and fell with each sharp breath that made his chest burn. 

 

“So?” Soojung responded, the last of her laughter bubbling out of her chest, her cheerful grin remaining strong.

 

She really was beautiful anywhere. Even with her hair a wet mess, with long strands covering her face and her nose bright red from the cold.

 

“Aren’t you going to help me up?” 

 

With a stuttered apology Jongin was tugging the eldest to his feet, laughing deeply as long bangs were swept out of his eyes. They honestly all looked like drenched rats.

 

“So can we come inside and sit around your heater?” Taemin grinned that mischievous grin as he clutched at Jongin’s hands- this was his plan from the start. No doubt Jongin would have obliged them and gladly let them inside to sit around his heater, but Taemin figured that; no, if he and Soojung were going to be cold and drenched, Jongin could join right in. That's what friends are for.

 

“Of course.” Jongin scoffed, rolling his eyes and smiling cheerfully as he placed his hands around both of his best friends and lead them up to the front door.

 

 

“...I think I had enough alone time."