Chapter One

Butterscotch Lies & Fireflies

They were 6 when they first met each other. 

They met over watching fireflies that came out at night, lighting up the field in front of them. Together they tried to catch the bugs that glowed, but in the end failed. 

One said his name was Cho Kyuhyun and the other said he name was Kim Ryeowook.

They became best friends.

+++++
++++++
+++++


When Kim Ryeowook was 8 and Cho Kyuhyun was 7 going on 8, they had their first run in with bullies at the school playground. The bullies pushed Ryeowook to the ground who let out a surprised cry. Kyuhyun saw red and went to defend his best friend. Needless to say Kyuhyun took Ryeowook to the nurse's office and then had to go talk to the principle about why Adam Gray had a slight bruise forming on his right cheek. 

This moment allowed for the duo to realize that they didn't need anyone else in the world. Kyuhyun would always be there to defend them and Ryeowook would be there to take care of the duo. Instead of focusing on how to be popular, or how to have the most friends in their classes, the two would focus on fireflies that lit up their world. They didn't need to meet other people or talk to them, their world was theirs and that was final.

They only needed each other. 

+++++
++++++
+++++

Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were both 11 now. Both still lived in their own world and it caused concern for their parents. The Kims stated that the Cho boy wasn't letting Ryeowook grow into his own person because of the fact he always hid behind the younger. The Chos would argue back that the Kim boy was holding their son down, and blocking him from the better things in life.

The adults tried to split them apart. In response Mrs. Cho now had a bruised bite mark on her right arm, the teeth markings that came from Kyuhyun when she tried to pull him away from Ryeowook.

Kyuhyun later told them with an abnormally serious voice for a 11 year old that they wouldn't split them up. Ryeowook who was next to him agreed and the two boys interlocked their fingers. Both had a look in their eyes that taunted the adults, as if they knew more about the world than the ones who raised them. 

This was when the parents decided to call a therapist. 

Both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were against this, only agreeing when they were allowed to go to group therapy rather than therapy that was one on one much to their parents displeasure. 

When asked anything, Ryeowook would sigh with a response and would always tell the group butterscotch lies and Kyuhyun would speak of fireflies. 

Needless to say the therapy didn't do much for either of the boys. If anything, it pulled them closer together to prove their parents wrong. They didn't need anyone else coming into their world as long as they had each other. 

+++++
++++++
+++++

Ryeowook was 18 and Kyuhyun 17. At some point over the years Ryeowook stopped talking and let Kyuhyun talk for him. The Kims would cry and beg, but he'd never respond to them, Kyuhyun however, would always state that he was tired of telling them "butterscotch lies" and would then say that the two of them were going to go watch fireflies. 

The Chos at this point were exhausted with the kids' relationship and decided to take makes into their own hands unknowly to the Kims. They sent Kyuhyun away, to a place where he would become his own person. He couldn't have a future that revolved around a childhood friend. 

It went from Kyuhyun and Ryeowook to just Ryeowook.

When it was time to leave Ryeowook would just cry silent tears and cling onto the younger yet taller boy. Kyuhyun would cry to and beg his parents not to force him to go, he even begged the Kims, when he was yanked away from Ryeowook he swore, kicked, and fought to get back to him. 

Neither of them went to see the fireflies.

+++++
++++++
+++++

When Kyuhyun came back to Ryeowook it was the first time he had spoken in quite some time. He had just turned 19 and was still the petite boy the Kyuhyun grew up with, only skinnier. When Kyuhyun stepped out of his father's car, that was parked in front of the Kims household Ryeowook came flying at him. 

The whispered words of "I missed you." rang out in the air. Although no one else heard it Kyuhyun, started to tear up. 

That was when Mr. Cho dropped the news that Kyuhyun was going to South Korea to stay with family. 
Ryeowook cried and Kyuhyun swore that he felt himself die. 

Kyuhyun did the only thing that he could think of and ran, he grabbed Ryeowooks hand and ran towards the field where they watched fireflies light up as children. 

When he reached the field, he broke down and held Ryeowook close, whispering out choked sobs of how he'd come back for him, that he would write him every day, and how he was surprised about this happening. He knew nothing of what his father was planning. 

Later, the two could be found sitting on a hill watching fireflies together again. One would see a smaller boy leaning against a taller with their finger interlocked. The most surprising feature would be the flower crowns on top of each of their heads that had been made from the wildflowers within the field. 

+++++
++++++
+++++

Kyuhyun was 22 when he was finally able to come back for Ryeowook. He went back to the small town that they grew up in Summer. Once he had said his hellos to his parents and dropped his bags into his old room, he ran for the Kims ignore the calls of his mother telling him to wait. 

After a block of running he saw the Kims house come into view. 

There was a problem, however. The house was no longer there. 

Later, when his mother caught up to him she would tell him how Ryeowook killed himself after his parents had died from a drunk driving accident. She told him how his mental health was failing him and how he really needed someone. 

Kyuhyun would ask her if she did anything to help him at all and his mother gave him a cold look and stated that he wasn't her problem, nor her family so it shouldn't be her job to watch over him. The boy had been old enough to live in the house after the death of his parents being at legal age but basically fell apart. 

Mrs. Cho would tell people that she would go over and check on the younger fragile man, but in reality she wouldn't do that. The fragile man destroyed her son. He took away Kyuhyuns childhood in her eyes, leading the two down a dangerous path that caused had caused them to rely on each other at all times.

 

She spoke of how lonely the boy seemed and sad.

Kyuhyun would ask about the letters he sent but in return his mother said she made sure Ryeowook never got them.

Kyuhyun yelled at his mother, screaming at her. Asking why she never told him and the response that he was given was she just looking at the ground. Tears would fall from her face but she would make no motion to speak and answer him. When he asked how he died, he got a response. She would tell him that he was burned alive. 

Kyuhyun would then break down yet again running towards the field that, he went to as a child, but this time around he wouldn't be pulling his best friend with him. The sun would set and fireflies would come out again, to light up the sky. 

When he got home, he would ignore his parents, but once he got to his room discover a three different journals that were on top of his bed. Once he would read it, he would find out that it was Ryeowooks and he had given it to Mrs. Cho before he ended his life. Kyuhyun thought that if his best friend was still alive, his mother probably would have thrown the journals away. She probably thought that the dead couldn't harm the living. 

She was wrong. 

Inside each journal they all had different things, the first one was from when they would children and how Ryeowook and he would go watch the fireflies. It spoke of how at some points Ryeowook would want to expand their world to others at times, but then would go back in a different colored ink say that it was stupid to do that. The next journal was from parts of their middle school and high school years and the last journal would speak of the last weeks of Ryeowooks life. How he needed someone to be with him, how he was lonely, and slowly losing his mind. 

Pages upon pages had been filled with Kyuhyuns name, when it was written in ink the name looked messy from not being able to dry quick enough before Ryeowook tears ruined the elegant handwriting. The last entry had one question that hit Kyuhyun in the chest and knocked the air out of him.

"Kyuhyun where are you?"

+++++
++++++
+++++

Kyuhyun was back in South Korea now. After finding out that his treasured person had been lost, he felt dead. While he was in South Korea he was able to meet some people that could consider friends through his cousin, Lee Hyukjae. Who introduced him to his boyfriend Lee Donghae, childhood friend Kim Heechul, and university friend Henry Lau. When asked what was wrong with him, he would reply nothing. Heechul would call him out on his bull and Kyuhyun would yell back at him. 

+++++
++++++
+++++

Ryeowook was 22 when he ended his life, and Kyuhyun was 23. Mrs Cho cried when she heard the news of their sons succeed and Mr. Cho was at a loss for words. The request to have the body buried next to where Ryeowook's grave marker was allowed, it took a lot of yelling from a certain Heechul to get Kyuhyuns parents to let the body be buried next to the boy whom they blamed their son's death on, but in the end after much fighting between the angered Heechul and the hateful Chos they allowed it. 


Hyukjae took his death the hardest and basically cried on Donghae's shoulder on the plane trip to the United States, even after they had landed it became normal to see Hyukjae with puffy eyes and tear stains down his face. It was common to see Henry like that, but not a server. Donghae, although he wanted to cry had to be the anchor for the group that now carried an air of sadness around them where ever they went. At times he'd even see Heechul crying, but never said anything. 

Kyuhyun would always tell them about how he would always watch fireflies growing up, and when they asked of any friends that he had while growing up he would always tell them butterscotch lies. 

In the end, through their deaths they became
Kyuhyun and Ryeowook again, and
The two had lived a life of butterscotched lies and always watching fireflies. 
 

 

Ummm so that's it? Sorry it's my first time writing again and actually posting some /_\....

I noticed a while back how some people were talking about how the kyuwook tag was loosing writers or something along those lines and I didn't want the tag to die out so here I am.

I intend to make a variety of different stories that go on in this world - revolving around what happened to the two as they grew up and what caused them to become the way that they were. Still a bit unsure about this, maybe if people actually like this story i'll do it then.

 

I don't own Super Junior/The boys, and I made this plot up off the top of my head while looking at flowers so I'm sorry if it's like one that you know, I don't mean it to be.

 

So I hope that you all enjoy ready and have a good night/day ~

 

~ your author

 

p.s. I am sorry for any mistakes with the grammar and or spelling /_\